Start by marking “Been There, Married That” as Want to Read:

Been There, Married That

A hilarious new novel full of Hollywood glitz, glamour, and scandal.

When he changes the locks, she changes the rules.

Agnes Murphy Nash is the perfect Hollywood wife – she has the right friends, the right clothes, and even a side career of her own as a writer. Her husband Trevor is a bigshot producer, and from the outside it looks like they’re living a picture-perfect
Published February 11th 2020 by St. Martin's Press

Start your review of Been There, Married That
Miranda Reads
description

"Lip filler lemmings," I said. "I'd tell them to jump off a cliff into the Pacific, but we all know silicone floats."
Agnes Murphy Nash spent the last decade or so acting the part of the Hollywood Wife - expensive clothes, flawless makeup, and the right friends in the right places.

Trevor, her husband, has always been an arrogant producer but lately, he's set his sights on something else.
"Okay, here we go." he sighed. "I'm really sorry, I've been told not to let you in...It's what they
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

2.5 Stars

I’ll be on vacay (at my house – don’t think you can rob me without me murdering you) until after Christmas so Imma knock another review out today and make me feel like I accomplished something this year by posting 200 reviews.

Been There, Married That is the type of book you pick up when . . . .

It’s the story of what happens when Agnes’ megahit Hollywood producer husband Trevor decides to divorce her, believing the grass is
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
Oooof, this was a rough one. The writing was all over the place. I love a good quip/snarky comment/joke, but it was so constant I got confused about what was actually going on in the scene.

The star of the book was Fin, the MC's sister.

1.5 stars rounded up because I didn't hate it, it was just bad (like, really bad).

If you want to read a great book by her, check out Rescue Me or The Starter Wife, don't bother with this one.
Theresa Alan
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a spectacularly bad book for so many reasons. DNF, but I made it 40 percent through and feel like I should get a trophy for that.

In really good novels, while I’m reading, I forget that there is an author who sat at her desk day after day after day constructing the book because I’m so lost in the story. The writing in this novel very noticeably calls attention to itself. There are good lines, but I can envision the author at her desk, smiling at her own cleverness.

Agnes is a writer who
Katie B
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
This story was heavy on the humor but was lacking in heart. The characters were just so over-the-top they were caricatures and not in a fun way. I kept asking myself, why should I even care about the main character and what she is going through? Disappointing read for sure.

Agnes Murphy Nash is a writer and is married to some hotshot producer named Trevor. They are part of the Hollywood crowd so they are constantly surrounded by glitz, glamour, and well, a lot of fake people. Trevor decides he
Constantine

Rating: 2.5/5.0

Genre:
Contemporary + Humor

The synopsis sounded very interesting to me. I love the glitters of showbiz and that was one of the reasons I picked up this ARC. And it has a beautiful interesting cover art too. However, all that said I have to say that the writing was all over the place and somehow difficult and also confusing for me. There are lots of jokes and humor in one sentence that makes it confusing to understand the sentence or the purpose of the paragraph! This sounds crazy
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Made it through the Most insane book I think I’ve ever read. The first half is completely nuts but if you hang in through the second half, it actually makes sense.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I’ve heard of this author before but I have never read anything by her. So I’m not sure if this was the book that I should have started with. But start with I did and I had an eye-opening experience.

The first third of this book was completely insane.
-It was maniacal.
-It seemed like menopausal hysteria.
-It was also
DJ Sakata
My Rating:

3.5

Favorite Quotes:

So hard to make cogent arguments against a smart tween while driving in LA; I needed to concentrate on swearing and shaking my fist at all the illegal left turns.

We all knew, deep inside, our kids were probably growing up to be entitled, overeducated blobs. We were raising hothouse flowers, unequipped to climb a fence or fry an egg or spend five minutes bored… “When the revolution comes,” I said, “our kids will be food.”

Lip filler lemmings… I’d tell them to jump off
bbunny
I received a free copy from the publisher and the author in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Wow, I really hated this book. What a pity, the cover is so gorgeous too. I wanted to like it, I really did. But this book is trying too hard to be laugh-out-loud funny.

But seriously, this is a trash chick flit. Agnes Murphy Nash, a Hollywood housewife to a well-known movie and television producer, has her marriage hitting the rocks after a decade in the making.
Melanie (mells_view)
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I've picked "Been There, Married That" up multiple times, and just have not been able to get very far into reading it. The blurb appealed to me, but for some reason once I started reading I just wasn't as engaged in the story or the characters. I think that if someone is looking for a funny Real Housewives-esque story, then you will enjoy this one. I may try to pick it up and give it another go, but for now I'm giving in on this one.
Cyndi
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Divorce Hollyweird style. Our heroine comes home to find her locks changed and another woman occupying her husband's bed. He claims he's not having sex with her. Apparently 'companion sleeping' is the latest craze and our heroine's husband must participate. He is a famous and well paid producer of fluff movies. Now and then he remembers he has a child and a wife. One of those times was when he was talking to Kevin Bacon. Since the great Bacon said it sounded like his marriage was on the rocks, ...more
Judy
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
The first half of this book I had trouble with. There's some humor, which is good, but there were a lot of acronyms I had to look up. Maybe I'm too old to enjoy this one. The second half was better so I'm glad I stuck with it.

The book is basically about divorces in Hollywood and centers on Agnes, the wife of a famous producer, Trevor. They live in a mansion, have servants, and live idiotically insane lives. Trevor starts divorce proceedings and the whole thing is ridiculous! Maybe it's that bad
MicheleReader
While I enjoyed other works by the author and was drawn to its attractive book cover, I was disappointed with Been There, Married That. This satiric look at a messy Hollywood divorce had promise. Lots of funny, snarky dialogue and a lush lifestyle of the type of people who watch TMZ and other entertainment shows to get a glimpse of. But the problem for me was that the characters were too over the top to care about. The author has a good sense of humor and yes, you will find parts to laugh at but ...more
Dianne
Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing. In the case of BEEN THERE, MARRIED THAT I felt this was too much of a bad thing, a very bad thing. Sure, it is supposed to be loaded with humor and it is, but too much of it just wasn’t funny, it was heartless and TO ME, it bordered on hitting below the belt, over and over. Where is the humor in being selfish, self-centered, fake and often cruel?

Not sure when divorce became so funny, especially the actions of this couple, who, frankly had little
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
I'm so disappointed in this book. It had a great cover and synopsis but the execution of this book was horrendous. I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who thought the writing was chunky, hard to understand, and that the characters were insane.
Amy Imogene Reads
DNF...

Oh dear. I’m so sorry folks. I tried, so hard, so many times. This was all over the place, and not in a good way. There are other ways to spend life, and better books out there—it’s time to abandon this clustermess.

Thank you to St Martins Press for an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.
Sherwood Smith
Dec 17, 2019 added it
Shelves: satire
Comedy and satire are such tough challenges.

Comedy that works for me runs parallel to other genres: the basic storyline either puts an ordinary person into extraordinary circumstances, or an extraordinary person into ordinary circumstances. There must be a sense of irony, but the humor has to be grounded in truth.

Unfortunately, this send-up of Hollywood, written by someone who can definitely deliver a zinger, puts cartoonish characters into ridiculous situations, coming so fast that the few
Carol lowkey.bookish
Sep 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc
I requested this book through Netgalley because I thought it would be a light, funny read about people in Hollywood. However, it was nothing of the sort. The stream of consciousness writing makes it very hard to read. I also felt like I missed a chapter because the author rattles off names and doesn’t explain who the characters are. Lastly, I found some of the language and labeling/description of certain types of people offensive.

I rarely give up on a book, but I stopped at 22% and chose not to
Tiffany Foskey
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Been There Married That is a hilarious hollywood drama filled book!!!!!! It is about Agnes, a middle aged mother who is going through a divorce in Hollywood w/a narcissist man child!!!! Hollywood divorces are not like regular divorces so hold on as we go through pre-nups and all kinds of hilarious drama!!!!!! Thank you to St. Martin's Press for my advance readers copy in exchange for my honest review
Alison
DNF at 25%.

Agnes Murphy Nash is the perfect Hollywood wife, until her husband decides he's bored and wants a divorce - and he lets her know by locking out of their McMansion while she is out at a party, because he doesn't like conflict.

This was a frenetic disjointed stream of consciousness. Agnes wasn't really a sympathetic character and I really didn't understand what was happening as she careened from celebrity hairdresser to the stars to an interview with a gossip columnist to a gals night
Tamara
Review to come.

Quick thoughts:

I really wanted to LOVE this book. And there were some parts I did love and some lines I laughed at like crazy.

But there was also parts that were just ok. Or even not so ok.

It's a mixed bag for me- because there is so much potential in this book, but it just didn't quite make it to it's full potential.
Dianne
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Although I hated this book (and I mean 'throw against the wall' hate) for the first quarter, I'm glad I decided to try to go at least half-way because the book did pick up and fully hold my interest for the last three quarter's.

This was a quick beach read, that while a frustrating (and that's being kind) read especially about an intelligent woman in her middle decades, it is understandable because of being written about the film industry and the fact that it is a satire.

The first quarter is
Sue
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
I remember reading The Starter Wife back in 2006 and absolutely loved it!! So when I saw that the author had a new book coming out and read the synopsis, I knew I had to read this!

While I found the story funny at times, I felt that I just couldn't connect with the main characters. I enjoyed Fin's character much better than that of her sister, though.

This would make for a good beach read -- fun and quick.
Vicki (MyArmchairAdventures)
Jan 24, 2020 marked it as did-not-finish
Did Not Finish

Too snarky and sarcastic without the humor. I think the author was trying for comedy but I was more appalled than I was entertained by the indulgences and shallowness of the Hollywood crowd.
Dee Dee G
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I won this in a giveaway. Loved the title and cover. I didn’t like the writing. It was funny at first but certain phrases rubbed me the wrong way. It seemed to be all over the place. Not saying it was a bad book. It just wasn’t for me.
Stephanie Brown
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Arc provided by NetGalley. I had I high hopes. I have loved the last few arcs but this is
Horrible. I love the cover and the premise has potential but there is
No one to root for. Every character is horrible. And there are books
We’re you don’t need someone to root for but this one isn’t one of
Them. It’s really long and drawn and and
Annoying
With a capital A. This had the potential to be funny and be a book where you root for the wronged wife but I hated Agnes. Ugh
Shadava
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This was just okay for me. The reason it gets three stars instead of two is because while this was not my cup of tea, I can see how other readers may find it enjoyable. I really wanted to like this book. I really wanted to like Agnes, but she spent the whole novel making excuses for her husband's crappy behavior. She doesn't stand up for herself or "take her life back". Also, it took me a while to get used to the writing style. I'm not into reality television or Real Housewives of Wherever, so I ...more
Mikaela (Booklover1974)
This book is a mess! The writing is bad with its chopped sentences and the characters were some kind of caricatures. I think the author wanted to write a hilarious rom-com novel but totally missed the mark. It was painful to read and I had to put it down.
Jypsy
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you St. Martin's Press for a complimentary copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

By: Gigi Levangie

*REVIEW*
Named "One of PopSugar's "22 of the Best Books Winter Has to Offer,"" Been There, Married That seems to be polarizing. Let's begin by defining the word satire according to the Oxford Dictionary:

"the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the
Melissa
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5 stars, rounded up
First off, thank you to St Martin's Press for the super cute press kit for this book. I was really looking forward to reading this book and in some ways, it was exactly like what I was expecting. In others, it was a bit of a let down. I wanted this to be a zany rom-com, snarky and cutting at times but also full of heart. Unfortunately, while there are a few laughs to be had, the book suffers from one big problem--there are absolutely no likable characters.
If the author would

• An Everyday Hero (Heart of a Hero #2)
  • The New Husband
  • The Last Real Cowboy (Cold River Ranch, #3)
  • Please See Us
  • The Look-Alike
  • Behind Every Lie
  • You Are Not Alone
  • A Hundred Suns
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
  • Wild, Wild Rake (The Cavensham Heiresses #6)
  • Little Secrets
  • The Second Home
  • Last Couple Standing
  • Cartier's Hope
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • Saint X
Gigi Levangie is the author of six prior novels, including The After Wife and the New York Times bestseller The Starter Wife, which was adapted as a miniseries for USA Network.

She is the original writer of the screenplay for Stepmom and has written for Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, Glamour, and other publications. Levangie lives in Los Angeles.