Start by marking “Been There, Married That” as Want to Read:

Been There, Married That

A hilarious new novel full of Hollywood glitz, glamour, and scandal.

When he changes the locks, she changes the rules.

Agnes Murphy Nash is the perfect Hollywood wife – she has the right friends, the right clothes, and even a side career of her own as a writer. Her husband Trevor is a bigshot producer, and from the outside it looks like they’re living a picture-perfect celeb
Published February 11th 2020 by St. Martin's Press

Start your review of Been There, Married That
Miranda Reads
description

"Lip filler lemmings," I said. "I'd tell them to jump off a cliff into the Pacific, but we all know silicone floats."
Agnes Murphy Nash spent the last decade or so acting the part of the Hollywood Wife - expensive clothes, flawless makeup, and the right friends in the right places.

Trevor, her husband, has always been an arrogant producer but lately, he's set his sights on something else.
"Okay, here we go." he sighed. "I'm really sorry, I've been told not to let you in...It's what
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

2.5 Stars

I’ll be on vacay (at my house – don’t think you can rob me without me murdering you) until after Christmas so Imma knock another review out today and make me feel like I accomplished something this year by posting 200 reviews.

Been There, Married That is the type of book you pick up when . . . .

It’s the story of what happens when Agnes’ megahit Hollywood producer husband Trevor decides to divorce her, believing the grass
Carole
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-books
Been There, Married That by Gigi Levangie is an up close and personal look at the disintegration of a Hollywood marriage. Agnes returns home to find herself locked out of the mansion she shares with her husband, Trevor. She is advised by a security guard that her marriage is over. Her husband, a film producer, is determined to put Agnes in the worst possible light in order to gain full custody of their young daughter. The novel succeeds in painting Hollywood film people with a broad brush of unf ...more
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
Oooof, this was a rough one. The writing was all over the place. I love a good quip/snarky comment/joke, but it was so constant I got confused about what was actually going on in the scene.

The star of the book was Fin, the MC's sister.

1.5 stars rounded up because I didn't hate it, it was just bad (like, really bad).

If you want to read a great book by her, check out Rescue Me or The Starter Wife, don't bother with this one.
Wendy
2,5

This was an okay read, but I wasn't really blown away by it. Maybe I've been reading too many (hilarious) romcom's lately, or maybe I am just getting more criticizing with age, I don't know. I just wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. It happens...

I had a hard time getting into the story and once I did get...I had a hard time staying in it. I put it down too many times, which resulted in me not really wanting to pick it up again and that is never a good thing.

That paired with the fact th
Theresa Alan
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a spectacularly bad book for so many reasons. DNF, but I made it 40 percent through and feel like I should get a trophy for that.

In really good novels, while I’m reading, I forget that there is an author who sat at her desk day after day after day constructing the book because I’m so lost in the story. The writing in this novel very noticeably calls attention to itself. There are good lines, but I can envision the author at her desk, smiling at her own cleverness.

Agnes is a writer who
Amy Imogene Reads
DNF...

Oh dear. I’m so sorry folks. I tried, so hard, so many times. This was all over the place, and not in a good way. There are other ways to spend life, and better books out there—it’s time to abandon this clustermess.

Thank you to St Martins Press for an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.
DJ Sakata
My Rating:

3.5

Favorite Quotes:

So hard to make cogent arguments against a smart tween while driving in LA; I needed to concentrate on swearing and shaking my fist at all the illegal left turns.

We all knew, deep inside, our kids were probably growing up to be entitled, overeducated blobs. We were raising hothouse flowers, unequipped to climb a fence or fry an egg or spend five minutes bored… “When the revolution comes,” I said, “our kids will be food.”

Lip filler lemmings… I’d tell them to jump off
Katie B
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
This story was heavy on the humor but was lacking in heart. The characters were just so over-the-top they were caricatures and not in a fun way. I kept asking myself, why should I even care about the main character and what she is going through? Disappointing read for sure.

Agnes Murphy Nash is a writer and is married to some hotshot producer named Trevor. They are part of the Hollywood crowd so they are constantly surrounded by glitz, glamour, and well, a lot of fake people. Trevor decides he do
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Made it through the Most insane book I think I’ve ever read. The first half is completely nuts but if you hang in through the second half, it actually makes sense.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I’ve heard of this author before but I have never read anything by her. So I’m not sure if this was the book that I should have started with. But start with I did and I had an eye-opening experience.

The first third of this book was completely insane.
-It was maniacal.
-It seemed like menopausal hysteria.
-It was also v
Constantine

Rating: 2.5/5.0

Genre:
Contemporary + Humor

The synopsis sounded very interesting to me. I love the glitters of showbiz and that was one of the reasons I picked up this ARC. And it has a beautiful interesting cover art too. However, all that said I have to say that the writing was all over the place and somehow difficult and also confusing for me. There are lots of jokes and humor in one sentence that makes it confusing to understand the sentence or the purpose of the paragraph! This sounds crazy b
Mackey
I had hoped to bring you a delicious romance for the Tuesday of Valentine's Week. However, Been There, Married That was not at all what I was expecting...

Been There, Married That by Gigi Levangie, promised to be a humorous look at a celebrity marriage gone wrong. I truly thought it would be a funny take on a woman who was rebuilding her life after a celebrity marriage. What I got, instead, was a book about nothing. The characters were flat, there really wasn't a plot other than a lot (a LOT) of
bbunny
I received a free copy from the publisher and the author in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Wow, I really hated this book. What a pity, the cover is so gorgeous too. I wanted to like it, I really did. But this book is trying too hard to be laugh-out-loud funny.

But seriously, this is a trash chick flit. Agnes Murphy Nash, a Hollywood housewife to a well-known movie and television producer, has her marriage hitting the rocks after a decade in the making. Traged
Kendall
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oh man... where do I start with this book?

Wow this was a rough one my friends. I'm not going to sugar coat this review and I'm sorry if you're not a fan of my honesty. The writing was ALL over the place. I'm a huge fan of humor and jokes in my books... but there was so many that I was getting confused as to what the heck I was reading? I think the author was trying wayyyyy to hard to have humor in her book.

And let me talk about the characters. YUCK! I was not a fan of Agnes at all.... I just fe
Melanie (mells_view)
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I've picked "Been There, Married That" up multiple times, and just have not been able to get very far into reading it. The blurb appealed to me, but for some reason once I started reading I just wasn't as engaged in the story or the characters. I think that if someone is looking for a funny Real Housewives-esque story, then you will enjoy this one. I may try to pick it up and give it another go, but for now I'm giving in on this one.
Christy
DNF. I can't give this a rating, because I can't even get through 20 pages of it. The premise of this book sounded fantastic and I thought it would be really really funny. It's so all over the place and every sentence tries to be this ridiculous joke or sarcastic comment.

**Book received in a Goodreads Giveaway - all opinions are my own**
Stacey
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Poor Agnes! Agnes is the perfect Hollywood wife, but when she comes home one day she finds that she is locked out of her home. Plus, there is someone waiting for her to make sure she doesn't get in and is ready to tase her if she tries. Apparently, her husband Trevor (a big shot producer and complete douche bag) wants a divorce. I can tell right here in the first chapter this novel is going to be pure entertainment, nothing heavy or substantial (think Kardashians). The rest of this novel is foll ...more
Cyndi
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Divorce Hollyweird style. Our heroine comes home to find her locks changed and another woman occupying her husband's bed. He claims he's not having sex with her. Apparently 'companion sleeping' is the latest craze and our heroine's husband must participate. He is a famous and well paid producer of fluff movies. Now and then he remembers he has a child and a wife. One of those times was when he was talking to Kevin Bacon. Since the great Bacon said it sounded like his marriage was on the rocks, i ...more
Judy
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
The first half of this book I had trouble with. There's some humor, which is good, but there were a lot of acronyms I had to look up. Maybe I'm too old to enjoy this one. The second half was better so I'm glad I stuck with it.

The book is basically about divorces in Hollywood and centers on Agnes, the wife of a famous producer, Trevor. They live in a mansion, have servants, and live idiotically insane lives. Trevor starts divorce proceedings and the whole thing is ridiculous! Maybe it's that bad
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
I'm so disappointed in this book. It had a great cover and synopsis but the execution of this book was horrendous. I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who thought the writing was chunky, hard to understand, and that the characters were insane.
Jypsy
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you St. Martin's Press for a complimentary copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

By: Gigi Levangie

*REVIEW* ☆☆☆☆
Named "One of PopSugar's "22 of the Best Books Winter Has to Offer,"" Been There, Married That seems to be polarizing. Let's begin by defining the word satire according to the Oxford Dictionary:

"the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the c
Selena
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
I received a free e-copy of Been There, Married That by Gigi Levangie Grazer from NetGalley for my honest review.

This is a story about Agnes and her divorce, with movie producer Trevor. The story takes place in Hollywood. Agnes is tired of the pressure of upholding the Hollywood image. She wants more out of life. Trevor is tired and bored with their marriage and wants out of it.

I found some parts of the book to be funny but for the most part, I just didn't care for the characters and found them
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Been There, Married That by Gigi Levangie

Contemporary fiction all about Hollywood games and Los Angelos upper echelon exposed.
The first two chapters are all name dropping and extreme high end brands. So much so that I found it difficult to follow or really know what was happening.

I love humor, snark and sarcasm but this has so much of the throw away comments and asides, that it was extremely difficult to read. After too much of it, I just didn’t care anymore.

I continued and finished but can’t
MicheleReader
While I enjoyed other works by the author and was drawn to its attractive book cover, I was disappointed with Been There, Married That. This satiric look at a messy Hollywood divorce had promise. Lots of funny, snarky dialogue and a lush lifestyle of the type of people who watch TMZ and other entertainment shows to get a glimpse of. But the problem for me was that the characters were too over the top to care about. The author has a good sense of humor and yes, you will find parts to laugh at but ...more
Dianne
Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing. In the case of BEEN THERE, MARRIED THAT I felt this was too much of a bad thing, a very bad thing. Sure, it is supposed to be loaded with humor and it is, but too much of it just wasn’t funny, it was heartless and TO ME, it bordered on hitting below the belt, over and over. Where is the humor in being selfish, self-centered, fake and often cruel?

Not sure when divorce became so funny, especially the actions of this couple, who, frankly had little t
Carol lowkey.bookish
Sep 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc
I requested this book through Netgalley because I thought it would be a light, funny read about people in Hollywood. However, it was nothing of the sort. The stream of consciousness writing makes it very hard to read. I also felt like I missed a chapter because the author rattles off names and doesn’t explain who the characters are. Lastly, I found some of the language and labeling/description of certain types of people offensive.

I rarely give up on a book, but I stopped at 22% and chose not to
Vonda
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
A quick beach read that will have you laughing till your sides hurt. It's about the crazy life Hollywood stars live with their over abundance of money and their foolish spending of it. This was a fun, easy read and rather enjoyable.
Michele
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
It took me awhile to get into the book. I had a hard time with the narration in the beginning but after I got used to Agnes’ snark and sense of humor it fell into place. I actually didn’t really like the main character Agnes and it wasn’t until the very end that I really cared what happened to her. I’m not sure I ever really cared what happened to her but by the end I at least was curious to see. She does grow and do some good self discovery In the end and that really improves the book for me.

T
Michele
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads, arc, netgalley
I wanted to like this book so very badly. The synopsis pulled me in and promised so much. Unfortunately, it fell flat for me. No matter how many different ways I tried to analyze the storyline, I came up empty. I think I know what the author was trying to achieve and obviously she did succeed because many people enjoyed this book. I think it is simply a situation where it just wasn't "for me." It felt like it went in circles and I feel like the heroine grew a little during the trials she was put ...more
Sherwood Smith
Dec 17, 2019 added it
Shelves: satire
Comedy and satire are such tough challenges.

Comedy that works for me runs parallel to other genres: the basic storyline either puts an ordinary person into extraordinary circumstances, or an extraordinary person into ordinary circumstances. There must be a sense of irony, but the humor has to be grounded in truth.

Unfortunately, this send-up of Hollywood, written by someone who can definitely deliver a zinger, puts cartoonish characters into ridiculous situations, coming so fast that the few pot

• An Everyday Hero (Heart of a Hero #2)
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • The Museum of Desire (Alex Delaware, #35)
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • The Love Scam
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • The Accidental Life Swap
  • Long Bright River
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Writers & Lovers
  • Sisters by Choice (Blackberry Island, #4)
  • Code Name: Heist (Jameson Force Security, #3)
  • The Girls with No Names
  • Dear Edward
  • No, We Can't Be Friends
  • A Small Town: A Novel of Crime
Gigi Levangie is the author of six prior novels, including The After Wife and the New York Times bestseller The Starter Wife, which was adapted as a miniseries for USA Network.

She is the original writer of the screenplay for Stepmom and has written for Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, Glamour, and other publications. Levangie lives in Los Angeles.