Start by marking “Been There, Married That” as Want to Read:
Been There, Married That

Been There, Married That

A hilarious new novel full of Hollywood glitz, glamour, and scandal.

When he changes the locks, she changes the rules.

Agnes Murphy Nash is the perfect Hollywood wife – she has the right friends, the right clothes, and even a side career of her own as a writer. Her husband Trevor is a bigshot producer, and from the outside it looks like they’re living a picture-perfect
Expected publication: February 11th 2020 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Been There, Married That, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Been There, Married That

Start your review of Been There, Married That
Miranda Reads
description

"Lip filler lemmings," I said. "I'd tell them to jump off a cliff into the Pacific, but we all know silicone floats."
Agnes Murphy Nash spent the last decade or so acting the part of the Hollywood Wife - expensive clothes, flawless makeup, and the right friends in the right places.

Trevor, her husband, has always been an arrogant producer but lately, he's set his sights on something else.
"Okay, here we go." he sighed. "I'm really sorry, I've been told not to let you in...It's what they
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
Oooof, this was a rough one. The writing was all over the place. I love a good quip/snarky comment/joke, but it was so constant I got confused about what was actually going on in the scene.

The star of the book was Fin, the MC's sister.

1.5 stars rounded up because I didn't hate it, it was just bad (like, really bad).

If you want to read a great book by her, check out Rescue Me or The Starter Wife, don't bother with this one.
Katie B
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
This story was heavy on the humor but was lacking in heart. The characters were just so over-the-top they were caricatures and not in a fun way. I kept asking myself, why should I even care about the main character and what she is going through? Disappointing read for sure.

Agnes Murphy Nash is a writer and is married to some hotshot producer named Trevor. They are part of the Hollywood crowd so they are constantly surrounded by glitz, glamour, and well, a lot of fake people. Trevor decides he
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Made it through the Most insane book I think I’ve ever read. The first half is completely nuts but if you hang in through the second half, it actually makes sense.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I’ve heard of this author before but I have never read anything by her. So I’m not sure if this was the book that I should have started with. But start with I did and I had an eye-opening experience.

The first third of this book was completely insane.
-It was maniacal.
-It seemed like menopausal hysteria.
-It was also
bbunny
I received a free copy from the publisher and the author in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Wow, I really hated this book. What a pity, the cover is so gorgeous too. I wanted to like it, I really did. But this book is trying too hard to be laugh-out-loud funny.

But seriously, this is a trash chick flit. Agnes Murphy Nash, a Hollywood housewife to a well-known movie and television producer, has her marriage hitting the rocks after a decade in the making.
Amy Imogene Reads
Oct 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
I received an ARC of this book in the mail, which I’m thrilled about, but the reviews have me very curious....

Thank you to St Martins Press for an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.
Tiffany Foskey
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Been There Married That is a hilarious hollywood drama filled book!!!!!! It is about Agnes, a middle aged mother who is going through a divorce in Hollywood w/a narcissist man child!!!! Hollywood divorces are not like regular divorces so hold on as we go through pre-nups and all kinds of hilarious drama!!!!!! Thank you to St. Martin's Press for my advance readers copy in exchange for my honest review
Mikaela (Booklover1974)
This book is a mess! The writing is bad with its chopped sentences and the characters were some kind of caricatures. I think the author wanted to write a hilarious rom-com novel but totally missed the mark. It was painful to read and I had to put it down.
Rebecca
Sep 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
I received an advance copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
Dee Dee G
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I won this in a giveaway. Loved the title and cover. I didn’t like the writing. It was funny at first but certain phrases rubbed me the wrong way. It seemed to be all over the place. Not saying it was a bad book. It just wasn’t for me.
Tamara
Review to come.

Quick thoughts:

I really wanted to LOVE this book. And there were some parts I did love and some lines I laughed at like crazy.

But there was also parts that were just ok. Or even not so ok.

It's a mixed bag for me- because there is so much potential in this book, but it just didn't quite make it to it's full potential.
CRz lowkey.bookish
Sep 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc
I requested this book through Netgalley because I thought it would be a light, funny read about people in Hollywood. However, it was nothing of the sort. The stream of consciousness writing makes it very hard to read. I also felt like I missed a chapter because the author rattles off names and doesn’t explain who the characters are. Lastly, I found some of the language and labeling/description of certain types of people offensive.

I rarely give up on a book, but I stopped at 22% and chose not to
Stephanie Brown
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Arc provided by NetGalley. I had I high hopes. I have loved the last few arcs but this is
Horrible. I love the cover and the premise has potential but there is
No one to root for. Every character is horrible. And there are books
We’re you don’t need someone to root for but this one isn’t one of
Them. It’s really long and drawn and and
Annoying
With a capital A. This had the potential to be funny and be a book where you root for the wronged wife but I hated Agnes. Ugh
Shadava
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This was just okay for me. The reason it gets three stars instead of two is because while this was not my cup of tea, I can see how other readers may find it enjoyable. I really wanted to like this book. I really wanted to like Agnes, but she spent the whole novel making excuses for her husband's crappy behavior. She doesn't stand up for herself or "take her life back". Also, it took me a while to get used to the writing style. I'm not into reality television or Real Housewives of Wherever, so I ...more
Kendall
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oh man... where do I start with this book?

Wow this was a rough one my friends. I'm not going to sugar coat this review and I'm sorry if you're not a fan of my honesty. The writing was ALL over the place. I'm a huge fan of humor and jokes in my books... but there was so many that I was getting confused as to what the heck I was reading? I think the author was trying wayyyyy to hard to have humor in her book.

And let me talk about the characters. YUCK! I was not a fan of Agnes at all.... I just
Jane
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Goodreads and St. Martin's Press for this ARC.

What a great book. I laughed throughout the whole thing w/Agnes and her soon to be ex-Trevor. He's a Hollywood icon and she's a writer. She should have been a comedy writer.

Craziness all around with her sister Fin (an ex-sorta-con) and Agnes and Trevor's 11 year old daughter Pep (Penelope) who Trevor wants full custody of in the divorce even though he has nothing to do with her life. The court scenes are hilarious w/Agnes saying everything
Angela Williamson
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I haven't read any of Gigi Levangie's earlier books but I will be searching for them now. A laugh out loud story about a writer, Agnes, married to a big shot producer, Trevor, arrives hone from a book signing to find she is locked out of her home. Surprise! Trevor wants a divorce. The story that follows is full of characters that just want to help in their own way. Her sister, fresh out of prison, her dad who has his on ideas about marriage and divorce, Trevor's over the top attorney, Agnes's ...more
AJ's book-reMarks
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
From the blurb this book sounded like something that I could get into, however it was really difficult to read and not all that funny. I was really hoping to like much more than I did.
Wendy Golding
Oct 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
I think this is the first netgalley book that has been sent to me that I just cannot read. It's like listening to someone talk at you while suffering from ADD and on steroids, it's all over the place and just so uninteresting. I'm finished, after only the first chapter or so.
Donna Hines
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
The relatable factor in this for me was so far from my norm that it was hard to digest this one without feeling some animosity towards this wealthy, glamorous, Hollywood elite lifestyle.
I'm far from this LA prim rose lifestyle as I live in a small Northeastern Pennsylvania town in which I grapple daily for the past 10 yrs in just seeking a full time wage while living in extreme poverty after being bankrupt and homeless from divorcing a malignant narcissist.
So when I read about buying a 'Coach'
My Secret Book Spot
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Is there such a thing as too many witty one-liners? That's what I have to keep asking myself as I'm writing this review. Let me start out by saying this is my first Gigi Levangie book so I had no clue what to expect. For the first few chapters, I seriously felt like I was reading an author's brainstorming notes on funny scenes/phrases/conversations that they might stretch throughout their next novel, then I felt incredibly confused, and then it finally clicked that Levangie LOVES witty ...more
Karen Fan
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A hilarious account of what happens when a Hollywood couple divorces, especially when the wife was a normal person. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get behind any of the characters; none of them are really likeable and this isn’t a story where they’re suppose to be unlikeable. But, it was a quick and short read, so I didn’t expect it to go beneath the surface.
Moira
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I’ve never read a book by Gigi Levangie before, and I felt like I was missing out on several inside jokes. I found the narrative to be an entertaining but scattered inside look at a messy Hollywood divorce. While it was hilarious at moment it was also at times confusing and hard to figure out how we got there.
Erin
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.

The writing was funny and I laughed out loud a lot while reading this, but it was choppy and sometimes hard to follow. I did like the idea of the story but had a hard time liking Agnes.
Kate R
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, did-not-finish
Unfortunately, I did not finish this one. I could not get into it at all and couldn't connect to the characters. Personally, I found the writing really off and felt confused from the very start. Ultimately, this didn't work for me but I'm definitely in the minority.
Kristin
Sep 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
I won this book on a Goodreasds first reads giveaway and I DNF at 37(ish)%.

Long story short: this was a hot mess.

I had expected this to be similar to Crazy Rich Asians (only American) or even Husbands and Other Sharp Objects. It was not.

Biggest problem being that the story was so jumbled and disjointed, that there were a few times I was honestly starting to worry I was suffering the beginning stages of a stroke...because nothing on some most of the pages made any sense.

I'm not even sure there
Bridget Lusky
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
If you love a book full of snarky one-liners, then this is the book for you. Gigi Levangie writes this story with so many quips that it's challenging to engage with the characters. I realize that there is definitely a market for this, it's just not for me. I really struggled to get through the first half of the book.

The snark was very thick and I truly didn't find myself rooting for any of the characters, who all seemed to be exaggerations of the very worst people on the planet. The story did
Janet
Nov 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
When it is snowy and cold outside, superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

A hilarious novel full of Hollywood glitz, glamour, and scandal from New
Leah
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chic-lit
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for an ARC to preview and review.

I absolutely loved this book! It was laugh out loud funny for me from the very beginning. It’s the story of Agnes, a Hollywood wife who is also an author, and her husband Trevor one of the top movie producers in Hollywood and their divorce. Supporting characters include Pep, their pre-teen angst ridden and hormonally charged daughter, Fin, Agnes’ jailbird sister, Agnes’ Dad, the “Three Sisters” aka the staff who seem to
Cynthia
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-s
Laugh out loud funny. Been There, Married That by Gigi Levangie reads like a roman a clef, not saying that it is but it reads like one what with the name-dropping of both real and imaginary people. It has an insider's feel to it that is delicious; just right for a summer read. Is there a special term for a winter read? This book comes out in February; it just may be the thing to curl up with in front of the fire with a bottle of your favorite libation on Galentine's Day.

Ms. Levangie has a real

• The Better Liar
  • The Light in the Hallway
  • Cartier's Hope
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
  • The New Husband
  • An Everyday Hero (A Heart of a Hero #2)
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • Behind Every Lie
  • The Dead Girls Club
  • Love Her or Lose Her (Hot & Hammered, #2)
  • The Glittering Hour
  • A Hundred Suns
  • Darling Rose Gold
Gigi Levangie is the author of six prior novels, including The After Wife and the New York Times bestseller The Starter Wife, which was adapted as a miniseries for USA Network.

She is the original writer of the screenplay for Stepmom and has written for Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, Glamour, and other publications. Levangie lives in Los Angeles.