Start by marking “The Last Passenger (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #0.3)” as Want to Read:
The Last Passenger (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #0.3)

The Last Passenger

(Charles Lenox Mysteries 0.3)

From bestselling author Charles Finch comes the third and final in a prequel trilogy to his lauded Charles Lenox series.

London, 1855: A young and eager Charles Lenox faces his toughest case yet: a murder without a single clue. Slumped in a first-class car at Paddington Station is the body of a young, handsome gentleman. He has no luggage, empty pockets, and no sign of
Expected publication: February 18th 2020 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Last Passenger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Passenger

Start your review of The Last Passenger (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #0.3)
Charles Finch
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this one! Does that make me biased? Yes, I know this book's flaws better than anyone. I will send you an annotated list upon request.

Nevertheless, 5 stars.
Emma Rose Ribbons
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful, wonderful installment in the Charles Lenox Mysteries series. I had REAL trouble putting it down. I loved it. Charles's family and friends all urge him to find romance but Charles is asked by a rather incompetent but nice enough policeman to help in a murder case - a body was found on a train from Manchester to London, stripped of all clothing, and what appears at first to be a rather petty theft, turns out to have far-reaching ramifications as Lenox realises the unknown man may ...more
Kate Baxter
4.5 / 5 stars

Author Charles Finch has done it again! Thirteen books into this series and the writing is still fresh and keeps getting better with each installment. If you're a fan of well conceived and delightfully written historical fiction, then I commend this book to you, without reservation.

The story opens in London - October, 1855 with our young protagonist, Charles Lenox, being introduced to all the young ladies of London who are marriage suitable for a man of his standing. Initially, he
EileenNH
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I happened to be lucky and reach this book first. Charles Finch knows how to write a great story.
Jenny
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Finch is back with another (young) Charles Lennox mystery. I’ll admit to being nervous during the first 20-30 pages of the book as it seemed like he was veering towards a retelling of the Thomas Briggs murder, but I was relieved once it became obvious that was not what was happening.
Over a dozen Lennox books in and they haven’t gotten stale yet. While other authors in this genre write progressively worse books each year, Finch is reliable and enjoyable, running circles around the rest of them.
Nancy
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have been a fan of Charles Finch's Charles Lenox books from my introduction to his first book. And, THE LAST PASSENGER was not an exception---they are engrossing stories with a rich historical footing. I enjoy most historical novels, but occasionally it feels like the author "cuts and pastes" historical facts into the narrative to fill space or justify calling it an historical novel. That is definitely not the case with this series.

Finch takes the reader right into the sophisticated society of
Linda
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant third prequel in the Charles Lenox historical mystery series set in 1850's London.

In this outstanding installment, we again meet a younger Lenox, Lady Jane (and her husband), and Graham, but this time, as they were dealing with the murder of a train passenger whose clothing had all of its tags removed, making it difficult for police to identify the body.

I especially loved how author Charles Finch wove in details about the U.S. and American slavery to create an exceptionally
Pat Dupuy
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quiet. Reflective. That's what I think of whenever I read a story with Charles Lenox. His relationships with family and friends. His desire to learn how to serve his clients and profession better. His fears of not succeeding. His character is so appealing. I enjoy every case he's on and this one is no exception. It is a multi-layered mystery and it is a pleasure to read as layers are revealed by Lenox, his assistant, and others.
Jerry
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by Charles Finch, and if it is any indication of his style, I will definitely be back for more in the Charles Lenox Mystery Series. Just good old fashioned period British murder mystery dripping with atmosphere, suspicious characters, and plenty of twists and surprises.
My copy was an ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss.
Karen Troutman
I was given an ARC by Net Galley. Thanks! I had never read a book by Charles finch and I love a good mystery so this book was a treat for me. Will definitely read more by this author!

REcommend!
Mary
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can hardly wait to read this book. The Charles Finch pre-quells are the best; Finch continues to excel as a writer!!!
Faith Fullerton
Charles Finch is amazing and I love all of the Charles Lennox series. I can't wait to read the next prequel " The Last Passenger" should be well worth the wait! Keep 'um coming Charles Finch!
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As I gave the first two prequels 5 stars each... I predict this one will also be! Can’t wait for February!
Jean Hamilton
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am giving this 5 stars even though I have not read it yet. The reason? I have read every other book in this series and am a huge fan. Can't wait for this to come out in February!
Sandra Pipitone
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good tale of old injustice, to people of color! Had lots of twists and turns, more than most do. set in a time most of us never knew! Will keep you wondering!
EileenNH
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can not say enough about Charles Finches writing, story plot, characters, and learning about London is the late 1800's.
Megan Henderson
Oct 22, 2019
Sophia
Sep 08, 2019

• A Christmas Gathering: A Novel
  • A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • Nothing Ventured
  • A Shot in the Dark (Mydworth Mysteries  #1)
  • The Body in the Snow (DCI Craig Gillard Crime Thrillers Book 4)
  • The Rhodes Case (A Markham Sisters Cozy Mystery Novella Book 18)
  • The Christmas Spirits on Tradd Street  (Tradd Street, #6)
  • The Book Supremacy (Bibliophile Mystery, #13)
  • Crowned and Moldering (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #3)
  • This Old Homicide (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #2)
  • Buried in Books (A Bibliophile Mystery, #12)
  • Ripped From the Pages (A Bibliophile Mystery, #9)
  • The Lies That Bind (A Bibliophile Mystery, #3)
  • Eaves of Destruction (Fixer-Upper Mystery #5)
  • If Books Could Kill (Bibliophile Mystery, #2)
  • A High-End Finish (Fixer-Upper Mystery, #1)
  • Deck the Hallways (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #4)
  • Freshwater
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

My name is Charles Finch - welcome! I'm the author of the Charles Lenox series of historical mysteries, as well as a recent novel about expatriate life in Oxford, THE LAST ENCHANTMENTS. I also write book reviews for the New York Times, USA Today, and the Chicago Tribune

Charles Lenox Mysteries (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Vanishing Man (Charles Lenox Mysteries #0.2)
  • A Beautiful Blue Death (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #1)
  • The September Society (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #2)
  • The Fleet Street Murders (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #3)
  • A Stranger in Mayfair (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #4)
  • A Burial at Sea (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #5)
  • A Death in the Small Hours (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #6)
  • An Old Betrayal (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #7)
  • The Laws of Murder (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #8)
  • Home by Nightfall (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #9)