Start by marking “Only Mostly Devastated” as Want to Read:
Only Mostly Devastated

Only Mostly Devastated

SIMON VS. THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA meets CLUELESS in this boy-meets-boy spin on Grease

Summer love...gone so fast.

Will Tavares is the dream summer flinghe's fun, affectionate, kindbut just when Ollie thinks he's found his Happily Ever After, summer vacation ends and Will stops texting Ollie back. Now Ollie is one prince short of his fairy tale ending, and to complicate the
Published March 3rd 2020 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about Only Mostly Devastated, please sign up.
Sophie Gonzales Great question! While Collinswood is 100% fictional, its description comes from an amalgamation of several small towns in NC. The towns I used for…moreGreat question! While Collinswood is 100% fictional, its description comes from an amalgamation of several small towns in NC. The towns I used for description purposes were largely inland, to the west of Raleigh. (less)

Start your review of Only Mostly Devastated
Chaima ✨ شيماء
SIMON VS. THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA MEETS CLUELESS, INSPIRED BY GREASE

I expect to be only mostly devastated or else I am complaining to the manager for false advertisement
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, 2020-releases
I really, really enjoyed this!! I do wish we had gotten a little more show and a little less tell in regards to the romance between Ollie and Will, but I still really enjoyed this and I could NOT put it down. Not only was it super fun and romance-y, but it also had some depth and really took a good look at grief and I liked it a lot. I cannot wait to read what Sophie Gonzalez puts out next!

TW: terminal illness, death of a loved one, homophobia
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
I CANNOT EXPRESS HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS BOOK! 😍❤💖

I requested this book from Netgalley for one reason - it is branded as an LGBT version of Grease! Instantly I thought, 'How can that not be great?!'. I was lucky enough to get this on a wish and oh boy was I right! It was so great, so sweet, so nostalgic but still so fresh. I am all out fangirl-ing for this one!! I only have one thing to say - get your hands on this book as soon as you can!! 😍😍

"All I'd needed was a Destiny's Child song playing as
Judith
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

A hugely enjoyable YA romance which also tackles a serious subject-very well.This is only slightly touched on in the blurb so I'm not going to elaborate too much.

The theme of the book isn't a new one.High school setting with an out character and one firmly in the closest.But this is truly engaging.Told only from Ollie's pov and I think I fell for him instantly.

Ollie and Will have a summer fling.It's intense and passionate but once the summer is over Ollie is baffled by Will's silence.To make
C.G. Drews
You know what? I just simply adored this. I'm heart-eyes over it, but also in awe, because it tackled so many complex and serious topics AND managed to be an adorkable romcom that squished the air out of my lungs so many times. No, no, I genuinely had to put it down and scream at one stage. Out loud. You know a book is absolutely fantastic when it makes you feel absolutely e v e r y t h i n g the characters are feeling.

omfg, Ollie, I was with you in that moment at the end. We exploded together.
✨    jamieson   ✨
May 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: anticipated-2020
SUMMER LOVING, BUT GAY !!!

Greese inspired queer romcom pitched as Simon Vs meets Clueless?

@ SOPHIE GONZALES .... TELL ME MORE, TELL ME MORE
Larry H
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book is all kinds of adorable!!

"It was late afternoon, on the very last Wednesday of August, when I realized Disney had been lying to me for quite some time about Happily Ever Afters. Because, you see, I was four days into mine, and my prince was nowhere to be found. Gone. Vanished."

Ollie and his parents moved to North Carolina from California for the summer when his aunt becomes ill. He spends most of his summer at the beach, taking care of his young cousins. There he meets Willhandsome,
☆ Todd
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda meets Clueless, inspired by Grease.

With all of the many, many dramatics of the straight friends in the book, I definitely got a "Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda" vibe from the story, no doubt.

But "Clueless" was extremely funny, which this book had its moments, but I didn't personally feel that humor played much of a role here. At least not constantly, like in "Clueless".

And "Grease"? Ummm, I didn't really feel that many Grease-like moments, but I'm not
Cassie
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Huh. Seemed pretty heteronormative. And what if a girl wanted to ask a girl? Or otherwise.}

THIS BOOK!

It is such an important story and brings up such valid topics, such as the quote above. Honestly, I went into this with expectations of having a good time and just rooting for all the gays. And I got that, but I also got so much more out of this book. The writing was also amazing. It was smart and funny and I adored every word on these pages.

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

As soon as I heard inspired by Grease well . . . . . .

Much like the band TLC I will fully admit I aint too proud to beg either and did everything in my power to acquire an early copy of this one. And as soon as Ollie started his new school only to run into his summer lovin Will who totally pulled a Danny Zuko with his popular basketball buddies by saying he spent his summer just . . . . .

You know this old lady was like . . . . .
Toni
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, lgbtqia, 2020
Ollie Di Fiore is happy and secure in his sexuality. As his favourite Aunt Linda points out he has a supportive family, great friends, and a wonderful school. He doesn't even know how easy his coming out was compared to other people's. Ollie and his family spend their summer at a lake in North Carolina, and this is where he meets and falls in love with Will- 'sweet, thoughtful, and respectful' Will. Then suddenly Will starts ignoring Ollie's texts and it's clear whatever undefined relationship ...more
Hollis
I'll admit that this didn't end up being the most amazing wonderful adorable hilarious queer YA rom-com I expected it to be back when it was first announced. But I think, based on how insane my expectations were, this was still a pretty good read; even if, despite the ages of the characters and some of the subject matter, it did read a little on the younger of the YA side.

If you're picking this one up hoping to see some Grease references, you'll be pretty happy, I think. They weren't overdone,
Tucker
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tucker by: Wednesday Books

Many thanks to Wednesday Books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

I felt like the ending was a bit abrupt but, overall, I enjoyed this highschool drama-y novel! Review to come

-------------

Thank you Wednesday Books!!!!!!

-------------

you guys i'm getting an ARC... i cannot contain my glee!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------

i can already tell that this is going to be a smash hit

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Anna Luce
★★★✰✰ 3 stars

Only Mostly Devastated tells a cute but extremely formulaic story that is as memorable as a teen coming-of-age movie (possibly of the Netflix variety). I really wanted to enjoy this but I found the story to be unimaginative, the plot to be uneventful andwith the exception of Ollie and Willevery single character struck me as being
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: gay mc, bi Venezuelan li, bi side character, plus-sized poc side character, poc side characters
tw: cancer, off-page death, homophobia, biphobia, fatphobia

ARC provided by the publisher. Review also on my blog.

This is a very fun book, largely due to Ollie (the protagonist) whos simply, in the very wise words of Will, ridiculous. I want to make some things clear, though, before we proceed: this is also a messy book. Its messy in a way that none of the characters are perfect, and they keep
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
Am I humming "Summer Nights" while I write this review?
Possibly.

Only Mostly Devastated is a story about two boys who spend the summer falling in love only to have to say goodbye at the end of it all. But wait. SURPRISE! Ollie shows up as the new student at Will's school. Whoops.

Cue drama. Cue romance. Cue SUMMER NIGHTS.

Let me just start off by saying that, although I tried to lower them, my excitement and expectations for this book were very high. I mean look at that cover and that
Sophie Gonzales
Apr 25, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
TAGS:

First Love, Unrequited love, Rollercoaster Romance, Pining, Boys in Denial, Happily Ever After, MC is self-deprecating, Sarcastic / Deadpan Humour, Gay rep, Bi rep, Anxious MC, Shy MC, Cocky Love Interest, Comfort, Bitchy Girl with a Heart of Gold, Medium Level Angst, MC is Already Out, Supportive Parents, Boys Riding Unicorns, TW Mentions of homophobia (called out), TW biphobia (called out), TW fatphobia (called out), TW Family Member with Cancer.

Also: Here are some other books that are
Kathryn Speckels (Metaphors and Miscellanea)
Cute, queer, and oh-so-diverse, this might be my favorite book Ive read this year thus far. Only Mostly Devastated is essentially a gay retelling of Grease. And, listen, I love that musical as much as the next theatre/choir nerd, but seriously, I love this book even more. It takes all the good parts of the classic and combines them with even more humor (and emotions), broader social awareness, healthier relationships, and none of the change the most fundamental aspects of your personality just ...more
Cat
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs, 2020, 03-2020, m-m, gay, diverse, ya
Promise me well find a way to see each other again.
I cant promise that.
Then lie. Please.

I had a feeling going in I was going to enjoy this. With Grease, Simon and Clueless as comps, how could I not? What I wasnt prepared for was how smart it was going to be, how often I was going to literally snort at the jokes, how much I would cry. Most of all, how freaking relatable everything was.

The premise is familiar and Grease-like. Ollie meets Will over summer vacation and falls head over heels. When
Silvia
I was sent this book as an advance copy by the publisher for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

I was taken by surprise by this queer Grease retelling, not because I didn't expect it to be good (it sounded amazing) but because it kept trying to annoy me and it just...didn't.

Only Mostly Devastated is both a light-hearted romcom and a book that has many heavy themes within it, and the two aspects felt well-balanced and well-researched. With so many delicate themes at hand,
Kate (GirlReading)
I always knew a book pitched as 'Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda meets Clueless meets Grease' was going to be a winner because, I mean... who doesn't want/need a GREASE RETELLING in their lives and Only Most Devastated did not let me down one bit.

This book was an utter delight. It was funny, heartfelt, freaking adorable and had such a wonderful depth to it. Its discussions surrounding sexuality were done sensitively and brilliantly portrayed the nuances of both coming out and the day to day
Moony Eliver
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: y-a, lgbtqia, 2020
So, I have this on my YA shelf, and I'm going to leave it there, even though this reads much more like middle grade. (But I don't have an MG shelf and I don't want one, because that's not a genre I usually read on purpose.) Having said that, it's a good MG book, and I think it will hit a sweet spot for that audience.

As shown in the blurb, this is a Grease retelling. And that was a cute novelty for a few chapters. But I ended up feeling like it tried a little too hard to squeeze into that mold,
Mandi1082
Summer Love or Summer Fling? That is what happens between Ollie and Will. Summer comes to an end and Will has officially ghosted Ollie. On the other hand Ollie has a lot of things going on in his life. His parents spring on him that they are staying in Town to help with his dying aunt instead of heading back home to California. Ollie is a senior starting a new school where nobody knows he is gay. To make matters worse he finds out he is going to the same school as Will who has ignored his text ...more
Teal
Hmmm, I'm at a bit of a loss with this one. For two reasons:

1. The blurb.

When a blurb touts a book as "This Bestseller and That Bestseller meet T'Other Bestseller!!!" it passes my glazed eyes without registering. Because usually that's marketing bullshit, and at least 99% wrong. Thus, I went into this book oblivious to the fact that one of the comparisons made is to Grease.

Which is apparently, like, a cultural phenomenon? A Thing that people are into? That they squee over? That makes them want
Finitha Jose
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I do have a soft spot for high school romances, especially the one involving a coming-out story. Oh, not that I miss school days😬 . . . just prefer the adult life without the worries of exam grades and revisions. All the same, glad to receive a copy of this book through a wish in netgalley.
The novel progresses through the perspective of Ollie (yes, our devastated hero). Brave and caring, he manages to win our hearts from the very beginning. There are no usual teenage tantrums as we expect,
Melanie (mells_view)
Overall I thought this book was good. For some reason I thought that it was going to be a bit more light-hearted and funny. I cant say that I know what its like being a gay teenage boy, and I definitely cant say that I know what its like being a gay teenage boy in a southern high school, so maybe my opinions arent as valid, BUT the content in this book is pretty heavy. Maybe in real life this is small beans, or its worse, but it feels deeply emotional in this book.

I feel like the characters are
Georgia
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley for providing an early copy for review.

Wow. I was told by a friend to read this ASAP, and I am so very glad that I did. The buzz about this one is truly deserved. Most of the time books get a chuckle out of me at most. I was rolling around in my seat with laughter during only mostly devastated! Gonzales has a way of slipping humor into her MCs inner monologue, as well as dialogue, that never feels forced, and caught me off guard again and again with how hilarious it was.
Ashley
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-march
Bahhhh im too emotional to write a review atm

RTC

(This was one of the most incredible things ive ever read)
Vee_Bookish
I'm also a book blogger: Vee_Bookish

I'm writing this review while listening to the Grease soundtrack, because this is described by basically everyone as Gay Grease. While it is quite like Grease and has a few references to Grease, it lacks the magic of that movie and I didn't feel any particular connection to the characters.

I did like how diverse this book was, exploring sexuality and the way people treat one another in and out of relationships. There's even a short discussion about
haletostilinski
I absolutely adored this.

This was what the blurb promised, very Love Simon meets Grease, but with it's own spin on it.

Oliver has come to North Carolina with his parents for the summer to help his aunt and uncle, seeing as his Aunt Linda has cancer. Over said summer he meets and falls for Will, and at the end of the summer Will seemingly completely ghosts him, and oh yeah, his parents actually offer to stay however long their Aunt Linda needs, and Oliver is mostly to help with their kids, his

• The Gravity of Us
  • Tweet Cute
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Foul Is Fair (Foul Is Fair #1)
  • The Love Hypothesis
  • The Infinite Noise (The Bright Sessions #1)
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • Alex in Wonderland
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • Break the Fall
  • How to Be Remy Cameron
  • Wranglestone (Wranglestone, #1)
  • The State of Us
  • Run, Rebel
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • More Than Maybe
Sophie Gonzales writes Young Adult queer rom coms with memorable characters, biting wit and endless heart.

She is the author of The Law of Inertia, which released 2018 with Amberjack Publishing. Her debut YA rom-com, Only Mostly Devastated, is slated for Winter 2020 through Wednesday Books / Macmillan.

When she isnt writing, Sophie can be found ice skating, performing in musical theatre, and

Articles featuring this book

“It'll get easier. That's the beautiful thing about the universe. It puts you through trials, but it never gives you anything you can't handle. We grow from these things.” 1 likes
“And life was too short to play chicken with something as important as the person you loved.” 1 likes