Start by marking “Only Mostly Devastated” as Want to Read:
Only Mostly Devastated

Only Mostly Devastated

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  24,158 ratings  ·  4,498 reviews
Will Tavares is the dream summer fling ― he's fun, affectionate, kind ― but just when Ollie thinks he's found his Happily Ever After, summer vacation ends and Will stops texting Ollie back. Now Ollie is one prince short of his fairy tale ending, and to complicate the fairy tale further, a family emergency sees Ollie uprooted and enrolled at a new school across the country. ...more
Published March 3rd 2020 by Wednesday Books
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Only Mostly Devastated, please sign up.
Sophie Gonzales Thank you so much, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! At this stage no sequels are planned, although I wouldn't rule out a spinoff book if the right idea cam…moreThank you so much, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! At this stage no sequels are planned, although I wouldn't rule out a spinoff book if the right idea came to me. There will, however, be some bonus content (think along the lines of a chapter told from Will's or Lara's point of view) available to those who pre-order my next book, so stay tuned on my twitter page for more details to come!(less)

·  24,158 ratings  ·  4,498 reviews

Start your review of Only Mostly Devastated
Miranda Reads
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it

description

OHMYGOSH. Goodreads Choice Award Nominees are up and My Reaction Video is too! Don't forget to vote!

description

The Written Review
Ollie just had the perfect summer romance.

Will was sweet, kind and genuinely seemed to "get" Ollie in all the ways his friends never did.

But...it's been a few days since he got back from visiting his Aunt and Uncle and Will has gone silent.

And then Ollie's parents
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really, really enjoyed this!! I do wish we had gotten a little more show and a little less tell in regards to the romance between Ollie and Will, but I still really enjoyed this and I could NOT put it down. Not only was it super fun and romance-y, but it also had some depth and really took a good look at grief and I liked it a lot. I cannot wait to read what Sophie Gonzalez puts out next!

TW: terminal illness, death of a loved one, homophobia
jessica
Sep 01, 2021 rated it liked it
this is a cute and lighthearted read, but not something that really stands out.

its your typical YA realistic fiction about teenagers and crushes and school and family. i think the story does a decent job at representing the LGBT community, normalising being plus-sized, combating harmful stereotypes, expressing grief and the loss of a loved one, and showing the joys of liking someone.

and even though it delivers all of that, i cant help wanting more. its a very short, simple story. good enough to
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
I CANNOT EXPRESS HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS BOOK! 😍❤️💖

I requested this book from Netgalley for one reason - it is branded as an LGBT version of Grease! Instantly I thought, 'How can that not be great?!'. I was lucky enough to get this on a wish and oh boy was I right! It was so great, so sweet, so nostalgic but still so fresh. I am all out fangirl-ing for this one!! I only have one thing to say - get your hands on this book as soon as you can!! 😍😍

"All I'd needed was a Destiny's Child song play
chan ☆
Jun 22, 2022 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2022, ya-contemporary
premise? 10/10. execution.... i'm going to be generous and not give it an "out of ten" rating lol.

i am not a teen but i like to think that i can still appreciate some YA stories. this one just missed the mark for me. the romance was so so lackluster and it was the cornerstone of this story. so so much tell and hardly anything was shown.

i will look at the bright side though in that this was a non-traumatic coming out story.

thanks to Wednesday Books for sending me a copy!
✨    jami   ✨
"It'll get easier. That's the beautiful thing about the universe. It puts you through trials, but it never gives you anything you can't handle. We grow from these things."

there are many reasons this could have earned a lower rating from me - not my kind of writing style, kind of a slow start. But ultimately I bumped it to a four because I loved the representation of this book and the examination of the two characters behaviour and how equally this novel showed the strengths and flaws of both
Judith
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

A hugely enjoyable YA romance which also tackles a serious subject-very well.This is only slightly touched on in the blurb so I'm not going to elaborate too much.

The theme of the book isn't a new one.High school setting with an out character and one firmly in the closest.But this is truly engaging.Told only from Ollie's pov and I think I fell for him instantly.

Ollie and Will have a summer fling.It's intense and passionate but once the summer is over Ollie is baffled by Will's silence.To make
☆ Todd
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda meets Clueless, inspired by Grease.

With all of the many, many dramatics of the straight friends in the book, I definitely got a "Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda" vibe from the story, no doubt.

But "Clueless" was extremely funny, which this book had its moments, but I didn't personally feel that humor played much of a role here. At least not constantly, like in "Clueless".

And "Grease"? Ummm, I didn't really feel that many Grease-like moments, but I'm not com
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: gay mc, bi Venezuelan li, bi sc, plus-sized poc sc, poc scs
tw: cancer, off-page death, homophobia, biphobia, fatphobia

ARC provided by the publisher.

This is a very fun book, largely due to Ollie (the protagonist) who’s simply, in the very wise words of Will, ridiculous. I want to make some things clear, though, before we proceed: this is also a messy book. It’s messy in a way that none of the characters are perfect, and they keep making mistakes, and no one is really 100% in the right. It’s
luce (currently recovering from a hiatus)
| | blog | tumblr | ko-fi | |

“It was late afternoon, on the very last Wednesday of August, when I realized Disney had been lying to me for quite some time about Happily Ever Afters.”

Only Mostly Devastated tells a cute but extremely formulaic story that is as memorable as a teen coming-of-age movie (possibly of the Netflix variety). I really wanted to enjoy this but I found the story to be unimaginative, the plot to be uneventful and—with the exception of Ollie and Will—every single character s
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Wednesday Books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

I know that everyone is comparing this to Simon vs. the Homosapiens Agenda and Grease but I would honestly say this was like a less graphic version of the Netflix show, Sex Education which, by the way, is a great show. Go watch it.

Larry H
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book is all kinds of adorable!!

"It was late afternoon, on the very last Wednesday of August, when I realized Disney had been lying to me for quite some time about Happily Ever Afters. Because, you see, I was four days into mine, and my prince was nowhere to be found. Gone. Vanished."

Ollie and his parents moved to North Carolina from California for the summer when his aunt becomes ill. He spends most of his summer at the beach, taking care of his young cousins. There he meets Will—handsome,
h o l l i s
I'll admit that this didn't end up being the most amazing wonderful adorable hilarious queer YA rom-com I expected it to be back when it was first announced. But I think, based on how insane my expectations were, this was still a pretty good read; even if, despite the ages of the characters and some of the subject matter, it did read a little on the younger of the YA side.

If you're picking this one up hoping to see some Grease references, you'll be pretty happy, I think. They weren't overdone, i
Toni
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ollie Di Fiore is happy and secure in his sexuality. As his favourite Aunt Linda points out he has a supportive family, great friends, and a wonderful school. He doesn't even know how easy his coming out was compared to other people's. Ollie and his family spend their summer at a lake in North Carolina, and this is where he meets and falls in love with Will- 'sweet, thoughtful, and respectful' Will. Then suddenly Will starts ignoring Ollie's texts and it's clear whatever undefined relationship t ...more
Sophie Gonzales
Apr 25, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
TAGS:

First Love, Unrequited love, Rollercoaster Romance, Pining, Boys in Denial, Happily Ever After, MC is self-deprecating, Sarcastic / Deadpan Humour, Gay rep, Bi rep, Anxious MC, Shy MC, Cocky Love Interest, Comfort, Bitchy Girl with a Heart of Gold, Medium Level Angst, MC is Already Out, Supportive Parents, Boys Riding Unicorns, TW Mentions of homophobia (called out), TW biphobia (called out), TW fatphobia (called out), TW Family Member with Cancer.

Also: Here are some other books that are qu
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

As soon as I heard “inspired by Grease” – well . . . . . .

Much like the band TLC I will fully admit I ain’t too proud to beg either and did everything in my power to acquire an early copy of this one. And as soon as Ollie started his new school only to run into his summer lovin’ Will who totally pulled a Danny Zuko with his popular basketball buddies by saying he spent his summer just . . . . .

You know this old lady was like
Kevin (Irish Reader)
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

TW: Homophobia, Illness/death, fat shaming, coming out

Really enjoyed this book so much! I really want to go rewatch Grease now! I did a full non spoiler reading vlog on this book which you can check out here: https://youtu.be/FB5TxnKAy4I
Cassie
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Huh. Seemed pretty heteronormative. And what if a girl wanted to ask a girl? Or otherwise.}

THIS BOOK!

It is such an important story and brings up such valid topics, such as the quote above. Honestly, I went into this with expectations of having a good time and just rooting for all the gays. And I got that, but I also got so much more out of this book. The writing was also amazing. It was smart and funny and I adored every word on these pages
Teal
Hmmm, I'm at a bit of a loss with this one. For two reasons:

1. The blurb.

When a blurb touts a book as "This Bestseller and That Bestseller meet T'Other Bestseller!!!" it passes my glazed eyes without registering. Because usually that's marketing bullshit, and at least 99% wrong. Thus, I went into this book oblivious to the fact that one of the comparisons made is to Grease.

Which is apparently, like, a cultural phenomenon? A Thing that people are into? That they squee over? That makes them want
tappkalina
I watched Grease in preparation, and it was so bad I new this book can only be better.
Boy, I was right!
It's a quick and enjoyable read, while deals with grief in a fucking realistic way. Representation on point.

I love when gay stories have this quote,
“I wasn’t even thinking straight.”

because duh, that's the whole point.

“me, gay, what? Nah, that’s just a side effect of alcohol. Blurry vision, inability to walk straight, sudden insatiable desire to undress other girls. Wait, that doesn’t happen t
☆Pelumi☆
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars
OUT OF FIVE
Cuteness: 100000000
Plot: 4
Character development: 3.5

If I am to describe this book in one word it'll be "adorable"

This book is just what I needed after a stressful exam...Its cute, fluffy, funny and heartwarming.
Its just one of the funniest things ever

This book discusses a lot of important issues such as homophobia, toxic masculinity, fear of coming out, body shaming and so many others. It is also diverse.

Let us begin this, shall we?
This book starts with Ollie(
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
Am I humming "Summer Nights" while I write this review?
Possibly.

Only Mostly Devastated is a story about two boys who spend the summer falling in love only to have to say goodbye at the end of it all. But wait. SURPRISE! Ollie shows up as the new student at Will's school. Whoops.

Cue drama. Cue romance. Cue SUMMER NIGHTS.

Let me just start off by saying that, although I tried to lower them, my excitement and expectations for this book were very high. I mean look at that cover and that blurb
Christy
3 stars

Only Mostly Devastated was such a cute read! I loved that it was inspired by Grease and the main character Ollie had a great voice. The audio book was fun to listen to and I never wanted to hit pause.

Ollie has a summer romance with a boy named Will. Ollie is from California and spends the summer on the east coast with family. Circumstances lead to him staying east for his senior year of high school only for him to find he's going to the same school as Will.

Will and Ollie's present roma
Claude's Bookzone
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

Well sometimes you and a book just don't click and that's okay. I enjoyed it well enough but didn't quite get the 'heart eyes emoji' feels that I expected when I read the synopsis. It kind of meandered along to a satisfactory conclusion but at no point did I have that bubbly giddy fizzy feeling you get when there is a romantic relationship that you are hopelessly devoted to (eeeeeee..I worked it in!). Just okay for me.

Additional note: you will likely be singing Grease tunes whilst readi
sarah
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
★★★☆☆.75 stars

Only Mostly Devastated was everything I never knew I needed. Grease, but make it gay? Sign me up!

If you know the general storyline of Grease, this story begins in a very similar way. Ollie and Will had a summer fling but never expected to see each other. Until Ollie moves to a new school and *gasp* it is the one Will goes to.

It was impossible not to fall in love with our main character, Ollie. He was hilarious in a goofy, slightly awkward but very loveable way. His narration was
Sara
Mar 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is a Grease retelling which is all i needed to know in order to pick it up!

Only Mostly Devastated was charming and sweet and very quick to get through - would recommend!
BookNightOwl
Summer Love or Summer Fling? That is what happens between Ollie and Will. Summer comes to an end and Will has officially ghosted Ollie. On the other hand Ollie has a lot of things going on in his life. His parents spring on him that they are staying in Town to help with his dying aunt instead of heading back home to California. Ollie is a senior starting a new school where nobody knows he is gay. To make matters worse he finds out he is going to the same school as Will who has ignored his text a ...more
vangmayee
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
i cried A LOT. and i loved this A LOT. maybe i do need to start reading more YA contemporaries
Jonathan
Aug 21, 2022 rated it liked it
cute little story about love and friendship with a way too sad subplot

• Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • Bloodlust & Bonnets
  • The Glass Magician
  • Snug: A Collection of Comics about Dating Your Best Friend
  • Love Lettering
  • Nameless Queen
  • Diamond City (The City of Diamond and Steel, #1)
  • We Met in December
  • The Shrike & the Shadows
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • How to Build a Heart
  • The Last Witness
  • Resonance (Rhythm of Love #2)
  • The Speed of Falling Objects
  • Resurrection Girls
  • Dear Edward
  • Winterwood
LGBT > Gay
See top shelves…
Sophie Gonzales writes young adult queer contemporary fiction with memorable characters, biting wit and endless heart.

She is the author of THE LAW OF INERTIA, ONLY MOSTLY DEVASTATED and PERFECT ON PAPER. IF THIS GETS (co-written with Cale Dietrich) is forthcoming in Fall 2021 from Wednesday Books / Macmillan.

When she isn’t writing, Sophie can be found ice skating, performing in musical theatre, a

Articles featuring this book

Are you searching for a great young adult novel to dive into? In that case, you've come to the right place. Goodreads members are pros at...
“And life was too short to play chicken with something as important as the person you loved.” 29 likes
“That’s the beautiful thing about the universe. It puts you through trials, but it never gives you anything you can’t handle. We grow from these things.” 22 likes