Start by marking “Only Mostly Devastated” as Want to Read:
Only Mostly Devastated

Only Mostly Devastated

SIMON VS. THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA meets CLUELESS in this boy-meets-boy spin on Grease

Summer love...gone so fast.

Ollie and Will were meant to be a summer fling—casual, fun, and done. But when Ollie’s aunt's health takes a turn for the worse and his family decides to stay in North Carolina to take care of her, Ollie lets himself hope this fling can grow to something more.
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about Only Mostly Devastated, please sign up.
Sophie Gonzales Great question! While Collinswood is 100% fictional, its description comes from an amalgamation of several small towns in NC. The towns I used for…moreGreat question! While Collinswood is 100% fictional, its description comes from an amalgamation of several small towns in NC. The towns I used for description purposes were largely inland, to the west of Raleigh. (less)

Start your review of Only Mostly Devastated
Chaima ✨ شيماء
SIMON VS. THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA MEETS CLUELESS, INSPIRED BY GREASE

I expect to be only mostly devastated or else I am complaining to the manager for false advertisement
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
I CANNOT EXPRESS HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS BOOK!

I requested this book from Netgalley for one reason - it is branded as an LGBT version of Grease! Instantly I thought, 'How can that not be great?!'. I was lucky enough to get this on a wish and oh boy was I right! It was so great, so sweet, so nostalgic but still so fresh. I am all out fangirl-ing for this one!! I only have one thing to say - get your hands on this as soon as you can!!

"All I'd needed was a Destiny's Child song playing as an
Judith
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

A hugely enjoyable YA romance which also tackles a serious subject-very well.This is only slightly touched on in the blurb so I'm not going to elaborate too much.

The theme of the book isn't a new one.High school setting with an out character and one firmly in the closest.But this is truly engaging.Told only from Ollie's pov and I think I fell for him instantly.

Ollie and Will have a summer fling.It's intense and passionate but once the summer is over Ollie is baffled by Will's silence.To make
✨    jamieson   ✨
May 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: anticipated-2020
SUMMER LOVING, BUT GAY !!!

Greese inspired queer romcom pitched as Simon Vs meets Clueless?

@ SOPHIE GONZALES .... TELL ME MORE, TELL ME MORE
Cassie
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Huh. Seemed pretty heteronormative. And what if a girl wanted to ask a girl? Or otherwise.}

THIS BOOK!

It is such an important story and brings up such valid topics, such as the quote above. Honestly, I went into this with expectations of having a good time and just rooting for all the gays. And I got that, but I also got so much more out of this book. The writing was also amazing. It was smart and funny and I adored every word on these pages.

☆ Todd
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda meets Clueless, inspired by Grease.

With all of the many, many dramatics of the straight friends in the book, I definitely got a "Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda" vibe from the story, no doubt.

But "Clueless" was extremely funny, which this book had its moments, but I didn't personally feel that humor played much of a role here. At least not constantly, like in "Clueless".

And "Grease"? Ummm, I didn't really feel that many Grease-like moments, but I'm not
C.G. Drews
You know what? I just simply adored this. I'm heart-eyes over it, but also in awe, because it tackled so many complex and serious topics AND managed to be an adorkable romcom that squished the air out of my lungs so many times. No, no, I genuinely had to put it down and scream at one stage. Out loud. You know a book is absolutely fantastic when it makes you feel absolutely e v e r y t h i n g the characters are feeling.

omfg, Ollie, I was with you in that moment at the end. We exploded together.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

As soon as I heard “inspired by Grease” – well . . . . . .

Much like the band TLC I will fully admit I ain’t too proud to beg either and did everything in my power to acquire an early copy of this one. And as soon as Ollie started his new school only to run into his summer lovin’ Will who totally pulled a Danny Zuko with his popular basketball buddies by saying he spent his summer just . . . . .

You know this old lady was like . .
Anna Luce
3 stars

“It was late afternoon, on the very last Wednesday of August, when I realized Disney had been lying to me for quite some time about Happily Ever Afters.”

Only Mostly Devastated tells a cute but extremely formulaic story that is as memorable as a teen coming-of-age movie (possibly of the Netflix variety). I really wanted to enjoy this but I found the story to be unimaginative, the plot to be uneventful and—with the exception of Ollie and Will—every single character struck me as being
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
Am I humming "Summer Nights" while I write this review?
Possibly.

Only Mostly Devastated is a story about two boys who spend the summer falling in love only to have to say goodbye at the end of it all. But wait. SURPRISE! Ollie shows up as the new student at Will's school. Whoops.

Cue drama. Cue romance. Cue SUMMER NIGHTS.

Let me just start off by saying that, although I tried to lower them, my excitement and expectations for this book were very high. I mean look at that cover and that
Sophie Gonzales
Apr 25, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
TAGS:

First Love, Unrequited love, Rollercoaster Romance, Pining, Boys in Denial, Happily Ever After, MC is self-deprecating, Sarcastic / Deadpan Humour, Gay rep, Bi rep, Anxious MC, Shy MC, Cocky Love Interest, Comfort, Bitchy Girl with a Heart of Gold, Medium Level Angst, MC is Already Out, Supportive Parents, Boys Riding Unicorns, TW Mentions of homophobia (called out), TW biphobia (called out), TW fatphobia (called out), TW Family Member with Cancer.

Also: Here are some other books that are
Tucker
Aug 19, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Recommended to Tucker by: Wednesday Books
you guys i'm getting an ARC... i cannot contain my glee!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------

i can already tell that this is going to be a smash hit
Hollis
I'll admit that this didn't end up being the most amazing wonderful adorable hilarious queer YA rom-com I expected it to be back when it was first announced. But I think, based on how insane my expectations were, this was still a pretty good read; even if, despite the ages of the characters and some of the subject matter, it did read a little on the younger of the YA side.

If you're picking this one up hoping to see some Grease references, you'll be pretty happy, I think. They weren't overdone,
Cat
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs, 2020, 03-2020, m-m, gay, diverse, ya
“Promise me we’ll find a way to see each other again.”
“I can’t promise that.”
“Then lie. Please.”

I had a feeling going in I was going to enjoy this. With Grease, Simon and Clueless as comps, how could I not? What I wasn’t prepared for was how smart it was going to be, how often I was going to literally snort at the jokes, how much I would cry. Most of all, how freaking relatable everything was.

The premise is familiar and Grease-like. Ollie meets Will over summer vacation and falls head over
Finitha Jose
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I do have a soft spot for high school romances, especially the one involving a coming-out story. Oh, not that I miss school days . . . just prefer the adult life without the worries of exam grades and revisions. All the same, glad to receive a copy of this book through a wish in netgalley.
The novel progresses through the perspective of Ollie (yes, our devastated hero). Brave and caring, he manages to win our hearts from the very beginning. There are no usual teenage tantrums as we expect,
Mandi1082
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Summer Love or Summer Fling? That is what happens between Ollie and Will. Summer comes to an end and Will has officially ghosted Ollie. On the other hand Ollie has a lot of things going on in his life. His parents spring on him that they are staying in Town to help with his dying aunt instead of heading back home to California. Ollie is a senior starting a new school where nobody knows he is gay. To make matters worse he finds out he is going to the same school as Will who has ignored his text ...more
Georgia
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley for providing an early copy for review.

Wow. I was told by a friend to read this ASAP, and I am so very glad that I did. The buzz about this one is truly deserved. Most of the time books get a chuckle out of me at most. I was rolling around in my seat with laughter during only mostly devastated! Gonzales has a way of slipping humor into her MCs inner monologue, as well as dialogue, that never feels forced, and caught me off guard again and again with how hilarious it was.
Teodora
Oct 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
I've been granted a wish so I suppose some genie out there from its bottle wants me to read this and I am totally not complaining.
Teal
Hmmm, I'm at a bit of a loss with this one. For two reasons:

1. The blurb.

When a blurb touts a book as "This Bestseller and That Bestseller meet T'Other Bestseller!!!" it passes my glazed eyes without registering. Because usually that's marketing bullshit, and at least 99% wrong. Thus, I went into this book oblivious to the fact that one of the comparisons made is to Grease.

Which is apparently, like, a cultural phenomenon? A Thing that people are into? That they squee over? That makes them want
anna (readingpeaches)
RTC but like, i felt A Lot

rep: gay mc, bi latino li, bi side character, plus-sized poc side character, poc side characters
Hayley
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness. I somehow got lucky enough to get my hands on an early copy of this, and I'll tell you something right now: you should all be marking your calendars for 2020.

The story kicks off as we're introduced to Ollie, who's hilarious, wry, and hopelessly in love with Will, who he met at the lake over summer. The problem is, Will lives in North Carolina, while Ollie is due to go home to California. Then things get complicated when Ollie's parents announce a last-minute change of plans to
. (not active on this account stop adding me)

as an actual bisexual woman who's been a victim of fatphobic bullying her entire life and suffers from pcos, i'm genuinely upset at some of the shoddy representation in this book.

review to come? i'm still fuming about some of the rep, so we'll see

representation: gay mc, bi li, bi side character, plus sized side character with pcos, non-white main and side characters

content warnings: biphobia, fatphobia, homophobia, death of a family member

ARC kindly provided by Wednesday Books in
ellie
Jan 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
synopsis: pitched as simon vs the homo sapiens agenda-
me: say no more.
haletostilinski
I absolutely adored this.

This was what the blurb promised, very Love Simon meets Grease, but with it's own spin on it.

Oliver has come to North Carolina with his parents for the summer to help his aunt and uncle, seeing as his Aunt Linda has cancer. Over said summer he meets and falls for Will, and at the end of the summer Will seemingly completely ghosts him, and oh yeah, his parents actually offer to stay however long their Aunt Linda needs, and Oliver is mostly to help with their kids, his
Sara
THE GODS HAVE BLESSED ME WITH AN ARC. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m prepared to have my heart imbued with a spectacular gay version of Grease.
****

Oh my god this was so cute! I would take a bullet for Ollie! He’s so sweet, but I got the feeling that he was being taken for granted quite a lot. I’m so glad that people around him realised what a gem he is. I confess I was a tiny bit sceptical at first. After reading the synopsis, I was dubious about Will and his redeeming. Praising the Lord, Will’s
Flora ❀
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda meets Clueless, inspired by Grease." this is the single most amazing sentence i have ever read

ARC provided by St. Martin's Press and Wednesday Books in exchange for an honest review. Thank you.

// tw: homophobia, biphobia, fat shaming, death of a family member

This book immediately made it onto my most anticipated books of 2020 list when i read "Love, Simon meets Clueless inspired by Grease" cause these movies have to be some of the most iconic movies of all
Laxmama
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ya, m-m, teen

I looked forward to reading this one as Grease was one of my favorite classic movies. I felt the Grease vibe in the beginning which did capture my interest in the book, yet this may be just not me as the target group. I expect this to be aimed at a really young YA/teen reader.

I liked the story overall and found it interesting, fun and lots of positive messages. I felt there were way too many extra side characters added as just fillers, Ollie was a sweet character, he
Elise (TheBookishActress)
this looks like the gay romcom of the century and i'm very here for it
Crystal
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This book is PERFECTION. I had all the feels, and I just loved it SO much! The description intrigued me, but the book itself was so much more than I could’ve hoped for. Ollie, Will, Juliette, Lara, Naimh, Matt, and Darnell are multifaceted and compelling characters who I cared so much about throughout the book. I can’t recommend it enough!
Yna the Mood Reader
Sep 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
Thank you so much, Wednesday Books & St. Martin's Press, for granting my Netgalley wish!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Tweet Cute
  • Foul Is Fair
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Every Other Weekend
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller!
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • How to Be Remy Cameron
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Jane Anonymous
  • What Unbreakable Looks Like
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
  • Resurrection Girls
  • My Best Friend’s Royal Wedding
Sophie Gonzales writes Young Adult queer rom coms with memorable characters, biting wit and endless heart.

She is the author of The Law of Inertia, which released 2018 with Amberjack Publishing. Her debut YA rom-com, Only Mostly Devastated, is slated for Winter 2020 through Wednesday Books / Macmillan.

When she isn’t writing, Sophie can be found ice skating, performing in musical theatre, and