Start by marking “Only Mostly Devastated: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Only Mostly Devastated: A Novel

Only Mostly Devastated: A Novel

SIMON VS. THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA meets CLUELESS in this boy-meets-boy spin on Grease

Summer love...gone so fast.

Ollie and Will were meant to be a summer fling—casual, fun, and done. But when Ollie’s aunt's health takes a turn for the worse and his family decides to stay in North Carolina to take care of her, Ollie lets himself hope this fling can grow to something more. Dr
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about Only Mostly Devastated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only Mostly Devastated

Chaima ✨ شيماء
SIMON VS. THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA MEETS CLUELESS, INSPIRED BY GREASE

I expect to be only mostly devastated or else I am complaining to the manager for false advertisement
✨    jamieson   ✨
SUMMER LOVING, BUT GAY !!!

Greese inspired queer romcom pitched as Simon Vs meets Clueless?

@ SOPHIE GONZALES .... TELL ME MORE, TELL ME MORE
Sophie Gonzales
Apr 25, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
TAGS:

First Love, Unrequited love, Rollercoaster Romance, Pining, Boys in Denial, Happily Ever After, MC is self-deprecating, Sarcastic / Deadpan Humour, Gay rep, Bi rep, Anxious MC, Shy MC, Cocky Love Interest, Comfort, Bitchy Girl with a Heart of Gold, Medium Level Angst, MC is Already Out, Supportive Parents, Boys Riding Unicorns, TW Mentions of homophobia (called out), TW biphobia (called out), TW fatphobia (called out), TW Family Member with Cancer.

Also: Here are some other books that are qu
Cat
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, diverse, favs, 03-2020, gay, ya, m-m
“Promise me we’ll find a way to see each other again.”
“I can’t promise that.”
“Then lie. Please.”

I had a feeling going in I was going to enjoy this. With Grease, Simon and Clueless as comps, how could I not? What I wasn’t prepared for was how smart it was going to be, how often I was going to literally snort at the jokes, how much I would cry. Most of all, how freaking relatable everything was.

The premise is familiar and Grease-like. Ollie meets Will over summer vacation and falls head over he
Hollis
May 24, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
are you kidding me with this plot?

but, more importantly, are you kidding me with that release date?

need it now!
♆Hayley (TheVillainousReader)
I need this so badly I could cry.
Georgia
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley for providing an early copy for review.

Wow. I was told by a friend to read this ASAP, and I am so very glad that I did. The buzz about this one is truly deserved. Most of the time books get a chuckle out of me at most. I was rolling around in my seat with laughter during only mostly devastated! Gonzales has a way of slipping humor into her MCs inner monologue, as well as dialogue, that never feels forced, and caught me off guard again and again with how hilarious it was.
ellie
Jan 07, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
synopsis: pitched as simon vs the homo sapiens agenda-
me: say no more.
mahana

as an actual bisexual woman who's been a victim of fatphobic bullying her entire life and suffers from pcos, i'm genuinely upset at some of the shoddy representation in this book.

review to come? i'm still fuming about some of the rep, so we'll see

representation: gay mc, bi li, bi side character, plus sized side character with pcos, non-white main and side characters

content warnings: biphobia, fatphobia, homophobia, death of a family member

✨ ARC kindly provided by Wednesday Books in e
Cassie
May 25, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm only mostly devastated that this book comes out in 2020 and we still haven't invented time machines.

Look, a book loving bitch is impatient so I'm just gonna go crawl in my cave now and y'all can wake me up in 2020 when this book is released!!!
Crystal
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-ya, june-2019, 2019
This book is PERFECTION. I had all the feels, and I just loved it SO much! The description intrigued me, but the book itself was so much more than I could’ve hoped for. Ollie, Will, Juliette, Lara, Naimh, Matt, and Darnell are multifaceted and compelling characters who I cared so much about throughout the book. I can’t recommend it enough!
Elise (TheBookishActress)
this looks like the gay romcom of the century and i'm very here for it
Hayley
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness. I somehow got lucky enough to get my hands on an early copy of this, and I'll tell you something right now: you should all be marking your calendars for 2020.

The story kicks off as we're introduced to Ollie, who's hilarious, wry, and hopelessly in love with Will, who he met at the lake over summer. The problem is, Will lives in North Carolina, while Ollie is due to go home to California. Then things get complicated when Ollie's parents announce a last-minute change of plans to l
Flora ❀
May 24, 2019 marked it as wish-list  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-be-released
"Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda meets Clueless, inspired by Grease." this is the single most amazing sentence i have ever read
Sana
Mar 01, 2018 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god, this sounds like those cute summer contemporary books only it's set after summer's over and has boys instead, yesssss
Kelsi
Wow. This book was not at all what I was expecting and I am glad for it. It made me cry. A LOT. It also made me giggle like a maniac and get righteously angry a few times. A great read all around!
Meg Miller
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Will and Oliver meet at the lake and have the perfect summer romance, but they have to say goodbye when it's time for Ollie to go home to California. Then his family has a last-minute change of plans and stays in North Carolina to take care of his sick aunt and her family. Oliver is staring down the barrel of a lonely senior year at a new school where he doesn't know anybody. Until he bumps into Will. But this isn't the Will he knew over the summer. This Will is a popular jock, a basketball star ...more
milou  ☁️
you had me at inspired by grease but gay
Katya de Becerra
I get to read this early! Yes, it's ok to be jealous :)
Dana Mele
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Think more Grease and less Clueless, then add alllllll the feels. A few more. Couple more. Are you afraid of feels?!?! Look, I am too, and I cried at the sniffly parts. This is a delightful must-read for fans of Grease, retellings, friendship stories, and rollercoaster romances.
axel
Jan 27, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
grease but gay?? sign me the fuck up
(also clueless hell yes)
Jenn
Aug 07, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
this is...everything i’ve wanted in a gay hs + summer fling book.
Cerine
Jul 24, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
a gay clueless including grease?? gosh, GIVE IT TO ME
Loren
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun read with enough drama to keep me hooked through to the end. It is a good, light read for the Summer.
Anna
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received an eARC through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Ollie was in North Carolina, just for the summer, spending time with his aunt who has cancer and helping to watch his cousins. This was the perfect time to start a summer fling with a boy named Will. What Ollie didn’t plan on was his parents springing the news on him that they were staying in North Carolina for now because his aunt’s cancer is progressing.

And what Ollie definitely didn’t expect was for Will to be a
Tina

First: I LOVE this cover, holy hell. Such charmingly rom com vibes.

But. I don’t know that I’d call this a rom com? I’m struggling to decide how to review and rate this one, since it was quite the emotional roller coaster. Some high highs, but some very low lows. I’m rounding down slightly on my rating because I had *such* high hopes for this, but I felt like some atrocious behaviors from some of the characters were glossed over in a truly unsatisfactory way. While I get that teenagers
Thomas
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, ya
*I received an eARC from NetGalley for a fair and honest review*
I really enjoyed this book. The writing is tight, but funny and heartfelt, which I appreciate. The characters aren't perfect; they struggle with themselves and grow from their experiences, which is age-appropriate. Was it the most innovative story ever? No, this is Grease/High School Musical's basic plot. Was it enjoyable to read? Yes! The characters are interesting and relatable. The resolution at the end perhaps happens a bit too
Leona
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was first intrigued by the title of the book and then felt I should read it based on the description. I'm glad I requested this book from NetGalley!
Throughout the story, the characters felt real and more than just surface deep. Things didn't happen easily for them nor did they just always go with the flow. There was tension and bickering and love and heartache - all real emotions that never felt forced.
I think the thing I loved about this book the most is that things didn't work out perfectly
Swetlana (The Caffeinated Bookworm Life)
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda meets Clueless, inspired by Grease.

Did I even need to read more to know that I want to read this book? It's up on NetGalley right now (only to wish for as I'm international) and I sure am going to try my luck as Wednesday Books just granted me another wish and I've reviewed books for them before! I'm definitely excited and ready to be swept off my feet with a new and fun rom-com!

Blog | Twitter | Instagram
Mykell Bowden
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for the opportunity to read an eARC.

I absolutely LOVED this book. I finished it very quickly, because I couldn’t stop reading it for very long. The storyline had me on the edge of my seat. It’s such a good mix of emotions and it is a truly believable story. I also love how it had some honest bisexual representation. That is hard to find.

• Have a Little Faith in Me
  • Full Disclosure
  • Children of the River Ghost
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • When We Were Magic
  • The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
  • A Thousand Fires
  • Our Wayward Fate
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Muse
  • Beyond the Black Door
  • Chilling Effect
  • Frankly in Love
Sophie Gonzales writes Young Adult queer rom coms with memorable characters, biting wit and endless heart.

She is the author of The Law of Inertia, which released 2018 with Amberjack Publishing. Her debut YA rom-com, Only Mostly Devastated, is slated for Winter 2020 through Wednesday Books / Macmillan.

When she isn’t writing, Sophie can be found ice skating, performing in musical theatre, and pract