Start by marking “Jack Kerouac Is Dead to Me” as Want to Read:
Jack Kerouac Is Dead to Me

Jack Kerouac Is Dead to Me

Fifteen-year-old JL Markham's life used to be filled with carnival nights and hot summer days spent giggling with her forever best friend Aubrey about their families and boys. Together, they were unstoppable. But they aren't the friends they once were.

With JL's father gone on long term business, and her mother suffering from dissociative disorder, JL takes solace in the in
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about Jack Kerouac Is Dead to Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack Kerouac Is Dead to Me

Kelly Hager
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could spend literally every minute between now and its release date---April 7---trying to write this review, and I still wouldn't be able to do this book justice.

First, you should know that this book isn't for everyone. It's dark and deals with hard topics and it will break your heart. It's more Cameron Crowe than John Hughes, and when I say that, I mean great Cameron Crowe (Fast Times at Ridgemont High or Say Anything Cameron Crowe, not Aloha Cameron Crowe).

I love everything about this book.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of JACK KEROUAC IS DEAD TO ME by Gae Polisner in exchange for my honest review.***

With JL’s father working across country and her mother lost to mental illness, her friendship with Aubrey grounds JL. Puberty and high school and boys draw a wedge between the girls. Now Max has replaced Aubrey as JL’s go-to person. Max is graduating and taking the road for LA, and JL wants in.

JACK KERAOUSC IS DEAD TO ME is my first, but certainly not my
Becca
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, e-reader, for-fun
Fifteen-year-old JL Markham isn't having the best year: her father has been on an extended business trip for nearly a year, her mother's mental health is in a steady decline, and her best friend, Aubrey, has found a new clique of friends that excludes her. There are only two good things in her life: the butterflies she raises and her boyfriend, Max. When Max reveals his plans to leave Long Island for California, JL's life is thrown into a whirlwind.

Framed as a letter to Aubrey, this YA novel fo
Jennifer Shanahan
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-giveaways
I really liked this book. JL, the main character is a 15yo sophomore in high school who is dating a 19 year old senior, Max. JL's life is a bit of a mess with her dad working out in California and her mom falling off the deep edge in loneliness with a little bit crazy too. JL used to be best friends with Aubrey but they have drifted apart since she started seeing Max, who nobody really approves of except JL's mom, strangely enough. JL is slowly learning about growing up, love, family, deceipt, f ...more
Elizabeth Taylor
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing, as most of Gae Polisner's books talk about working through struggles to see the light this book follows the pattern. It is truly amazing and one of the best books you'll read. It talks about a lot of issues and doesn't make the charcter seem perfect. JL has flaws and quirks along with every other charcter. The letter writing throughout is beautifully placed and overall anyone who reads it will fall in love with JL and Max and the entire plot. Polisner's other books don't a ...more
Amy
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book captures the things so many teens are grappling with. Friendship. Family. Belonging. Feeling things and not always understanding why. Processing change--because everything is changing. Your body, your thoughts, your friendships, your dreams. JL, at 15, is dealing with all of that and just like the butterflies she's passionate about: constantly evolving.

"I liked how it felt to be out of control, a moth on a carnival ride, ready to be swept off by the wind, every tenuous hair, every fib
Sherry
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gae’s writing always has a way of reeling me in with characters I can’t get enough of and situations that make me turn the pages to see what happens next. JL’s story went straight to my heart. So beautifully written, her experiences brought me to tears as I felt connected to her struggles.

This book is one I already feel like I need to read again to fully appreciate all of it. This eARC from Netgalley scratched the itch to read the book, but I can’t wait to hold the printed book in hand and turn
Ni
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This reminded me of the Judy Blume books I read as a kid--the author perfectly captures the feelings of being confused, left out, and pressured that many teenagers experience. The story could have been a little longer--the end started to feel rushed--but perhaps we'll get a sequel to JL's story.
Katie
Sep 03, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-to-read
I can't decide if I love this title or hate it
Jennifer (JC-S)
Sep 04, 2019
Vicki Lame
May 15, 2018
Summer (buttermybooks)
rated it did not like it
Aug 28, 2019
Aug 14, 2019
Liza Wiemer
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I was very fortunate to get my hands on an advanced reader copy.
And I couldn't put this book down.
It's gritty, raw, and deals with some important and tough issues like betrayal (friends/boyfriends/parents), mental illness, adulting/parenting - or the lack of - and finding the strength to face a crisis and make decisions that are empowering and "right" for you.
This may very well be Gae's best book. The writing is nuanced, emotional, and will leave you pondering the choices the characters' make a
Melissa
Michele Knott
Dan
Julie Kirchner
Apr 30, 2018
I am the author of THE SUMMER OF LETTING GO and THE PULL OF GRAVITY.

Please note that, although I originally tried to assign star-ratings to my book reviews (and, thus, you will see some of my favorite books with stars), I have stopped doing so. A 3-star review, for example, can mean such different things to readers and reviewers, some rarely give more, so 3 means pretty great, to others 3 is bare