Start by marking “Hid from Our Eyes” as Want to Read:
Hid from Our Eyes

Hid from Our Eyes

(The Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries #9)

New York Times bestseller Julia Spencer-Fleming returns to her beloved Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne mystery series with new crimes that span decades.

1952. Millers Kill Police Chief Harry McNeil is called to a crime scene where a woman in a party dress has been murdered with no obvious cause of death.

1972. Millers Kill Police Chief Jack Liddle is called to a murder
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Hid from Our Eyes, please sign up.
Teri Shaw The book is not yet available. Julia S-F recently posted an obituary for her husband of many years who died of metastatic cancer in September, 2017. I…moreThe book is not yet available. Julia S-F recently posted an obituary for her husband of many years who died of metastatic cancer in September, 2017. I .hope she does finish it as I love the series but certainly understand why the book has been delayed. I am sorry for her loss and wish her all the best.(less)
Asteropê You can't order it because it's not listed. It's not listed because the book, as of now, does not exist. I can find no entry for it on retail sites.…moreYou can't order it because it's not listed. It's not listed because the book, as of now, does not exist. I can find no entry for it on retail sites. Presumably, it will be written and when it is available, you'll be able to buy it. Looking at the publication dates of her other books, it seems this author has sometimes 2-3 years between releases. (less)

Start your review of Hid from Our Eyes
Carol
Julia Spencer Fleming says it herself in the acknowledgments of her latest book, Hid From Our Eyes. Six years. Six long years, her many fans, including me, have waited for book nine in the The Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries. To boot, number eight left us on a bit of a cliff with some unfinished business. If I was upset, I soon forgave Julia when I learned why there was so long a hiatus and thank her publisher, St. Martin's Press and her literary agents, The Jane Rotrosen ...more
Dsbook
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
It has been 7 years between this book and the previous one. I was happy to see a new title in this series and to get to catch up with the characters after such a long gap. This book does have a cliff hanger ending and I hope we do not have to wait 7 more years for another book to let us know how it ends
Joyce
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

There's a movement afoot to disband the Millers Kill Police Department and turn the protection of the small town over to the State Troopers. This is a potential disaster for Police Chief Russ Van Alstyne and his deputies.

But that's not the only problem in this small community. Twenty years earlier, in 1952, a woman's body clothed in a party dress was found on the road by Russ. He became the chief suspect. And twenty years before that, a similar murder occurred.

Thus this book gives the
Joan
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review of Advance Readers’ Edition

A young woman, dressed for a party, lies dead in the middle of the road. She has no shoes, no stockings, no handbag. It’s August 1952 and Millers Kill Police Chief Harry McNeil has no answers. No one knows how she died. No one even knows her name.

The case turns cold; the victim remains unidentified, her death declared the result of natural causes.

A young woman, dressed for a party, lies dead in the middle of the road. She has no shoes, no stockings, no purse.
Robin
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re a fan of Julia Spencer-Fleming’s, you’ll be delighted to know that Hid From Our Eyes picks up right where One Was a Soldier left off. Since it’s been awhile I’ll recap: Episcopal priest Clare Fergusson and her husband Russ Van Alstyne have welcomed their first child (read the book to find out the child’s name and sex). Clare is in addiction recovery, and believably – for anyone familiar with addiction – she teeters from sober to wishing she wasn’t. That’s the rich background.

Glenna Pritchett
** Disclosure: I was given an Advanced Readers Copy by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. **

If you’re reading this review but you haven’t read the first eight Clare/Russ books, you must stop reading. Right now. Go straight to your source for books and get the first one, In the Bleak Midwinter. You’ll thank me, I promise! :)

There’s so much to enjoy in HID FROM OUR EYES. It was a pleasure getting to know Russ as a young man, Margery as both a young woman and a middle-aged one, and one
Alison
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got this as an ARC with the understanding that I would read it and review.

Several years after her last novel, Julia Spencer-Fleming is back with another Clare Ferguson mystery. I have missed this series, and Hid from Our Eyes did not disappoint. Spencer-Fleming has created another compelling story with complex characters and a good whodunnit.
Shan
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really did try my best to make this last longer than two days, but who was I kidding? I may be moping now, but it was balm to the soul to be back in Millers Kill among a host of beloved characters. While I could have gone for a few more romantic Clare/Russ moments, there are some lovely ones here. I loved Margy's bigger role in this book, and the flashback segments in which we get to know Russ' predecessors are a treat as well. I re-read the entire series in preparation for this, and it holds ...more
Red
If you are reading this in 2020, it’s been a long time since we’ve had a new Rev. Clare book. Hid From Our Eyes starts up about 10 months after Through the Evil Days. If you don’t remember where we left Rev. Clare and police chief Russ Van Alstyne, have no fear, Spencer-Fleming adroitly reminds us of what has happened, so no need to go back and reread the previous book. In fact, this also means you can read Hid From Our Eyes without having read any of the previous books!

On to the story itself.
Bonnye Reed
Nov 14, 2019 is currently reading it
Netgalley
pub date April 7, 2020
Monitor Books
Kat
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Minotaur books for the ARC copy of Hid from Our Eyes.
#HidfromOurEyes
I received a copy of Hid from Our Eyes in the mail. I hadn't read Ms. Fleming before, but I have to say what a great mystery. I will be going back to read these from the beginning. It has well-written characters and a solid mystery plot.
Elizabeth Caskey
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Valerie
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it

1972. Millers Kill Police Chief Jack Liddle is called to a murder scene of a woman that's very similar to one he worked as a trooper in the 50s. The only difference is this time, they have a suspect. Young Vietnam War veteran Russ van Alstyne found the body while riding his motorcycle and is quickly pegged as the prime focus of the investigation.
Nicole
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for an ARC in exchange for an honest review of the book.

I was so, so excited to see this new entry in the Clare Fergusson series. And Spencer-Fleming does not disappoint.

This entry is set up in a different manner from the others: the storylines fluctuate between three timelines. We move back and forth from the present, where Russ is investigating the puzzling murder of a young woman, to the previous police chief who, when Russ was a young man,
Margaret
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Welcome back, to Clare and Russ. This is mystery is a little different from Ms. Spencer-Fleming previous mysteries. This one spans several years, beginning with a Jane Doe death, with a repeat of another just like the first but 30 years later, then the latest one just like the previous murders. The second one Russ had been a person of interest as he had just gotten back from Vietnam. The third murder happens when he is chief-of=police. This is a very interesting and intriguing mystery. With the ...more
Margaret S.
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clare's had her baby and Russ is fighting for the survival of the Millers Kill PD. Right where we left off. I like starting off with the previous (presumably unsolved) murders of young women dumped on a rural road in the area. Having Russ as a prime suspect ups the ante and undoubtedly prompts him to do a better job solving the most recent crime. All good, so far, including a pediatrician with weekend hours. We create the circumstances of the world we yearned for when raising our own kids.

Sue Kelso
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't realize how much I missed Clare and Russ until I read this! It's been 6 years.

What I love the most is how human these two are. As an episcopal priest, Clare has demons and weaknesses which all humans do. I love how Julia lets us know about these.

The book is told in 3 time periods. 1952, 1972 and current day. In all of these periods, a woman's body is found in a party dress, no shoes, no purse on a rural road. The continuity of the police force during this time is a really nice touch.
Joyce
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a procedural set in small town New York with three separate deaths, one in 1952, one in 1972 and one in the present. Each death had a different Sheriff investigating and each unsolved. The present Sheriff’s clues lead him back to each of the other deaths in which a young woman was found, well dressed with no shoes, purse, underwear or personal belongings, dead and obviously placed where she was found. The novel goes from period to period and investigation to investigation. The climax is ...more
Roxanne Spencer
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clare and Russ are back and their lives are as smooth as ever...which is to say not very. What I like about this series is that Spencer-Fleming doesn't think her characters are perfect--they have flaws and are all-too-human. This book is more Russ's story than Clare's as it flips back and forth in time and deals with the ongoing fight to "Save Our Police" in Millers Kill. I felt that the mystery was much darker than usual, but it was the characters that really engaged me in this outing. Of ...more
Pat Dupuy
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm so happy to be back in Millers Kill following the ups and downs of Clare and Russ, friends and family. Hid From Our Eyes explores some of Russ's backstory: his lack of direction following his tour in Vietnam, his anger, and his being a person of interest in a mysterious death. This story follows the efforts of three MKPD police chiefs trying to solve three different but similar deaths over the years. The answer is stunning and heartbreaking for those involved. As always, I was left wanting ...more
Joanie Hinton
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Traditional mystery---The police chief of a small town and his Episcopal priest wife are trying to find a life balance with a fussy baby and hectic lives. Throw in an unidentified dead young woman whose death seems to be exactly as one from 1972, which was exactly like one from 1952. And while trying to solve this current case, the chief is trying to keep the town from voting to get rid of the local law enforcement and use the police force from the city. Hope this series continues. for many more ...more
Jean Utley
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book. After waiting for six years to find out the next chapter of the story of newlyweds and new parents, Rev. Clare Fergusson and Chief Russ Van Alstyne, we have a doozy of a story. Three murders, one in 1952, one in 1972 and one in present day have the same M.O. , the same type of victim and many of the same characters. Intertwined with the murders, we see the lives of new parents coping with work, childcare and social obligations. This book is chock full of wonderful writing and ...more
Daphne Cochran
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book courtesy of Net Galley and this is my own review.
Fabulous !!! This is one of my most favorite series and I was happy to read this book. Great characters, fast moving plot that kept me reading till the last page. I was very happy to catch up with Rev. Clair and Russ and the rest of the town of Millers Kill. Interesting twists and turns and a small cliff hanger that keeps you wanting more.
Karin Carlson
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have followed this series from the beginning and have enjoyed following the evolution of Clare and Russ over the years. This story involves a series of crimes going back years with ties to the present. Russ and his usual crew, including his wife Clare, come together to solve these decades old crimes. It has been a long time between books and I hope we don't have to wait as long for the next adventures of Clare and Russ. Thank you NetGalley for the advanced readers copy for review.
Laura Salas
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, netgalley, mystery, 2019
I have been waiting so long for this book! I adore this series and its complex plotting and characterizations. I will say this isn't my favorite in the series, as I don't love all the jumping back and forth between three different decades, although the confusing murders and the altogether creepy and horrible reason for the them made for a satisfying mystery. And I know I'm connected to the characters in a strong way when I find myself whispering fiercely, "Don't do it, Clare!" or "Come on, ...more
Carol Turner
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was just thinking of Julia Spencer-Fleming, wondering if she might write another book and ... there it was! Nearly up to snuff, too. I only wish she'd made more of Clare's baby-care issues and, if the addiction is really an issue, that, too. Both seemed just added in, which cost me a star. Otherwise, a fine job!
Tasha
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kirsten Cutler
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I have enjoyed other titles in this series, and this was also very good. Three separate but definitely copycat or serial murders over a fifty-year period challenge the Millers Kill Police Department even as they in the present face a budgetary threat to their very existence. The narrative weaves back and forth from 1952, to 1972 and to the present revealing the eerie identical circumstances of the murders of young women, the efforts to solve these cases and potential suspects. Russ Van Alstyne ...more
Diana
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full Disclosure: I was given an Advanced Readers Copy by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
I LOVED this very smart mystery. So many good things going on in this book! We move between three separate murders, decades apart. A really well-written story. Cannot wait until the next book.
Cora
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I’m so happy to have been finally reunited with my dear friends from Miller’s Kill. Worth the wait, but now I have to wait again until the next book comes out to find out what happens!
Bookish First Rea...: Hid From Our Eyes by Julia Spencer-Fleming 4 4 Nov 19, 2019 07:35AM

• A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #18)
  • The King's Justice (Maggie Hope Mystery #9)
  • All the Best Lies (Ellery Hathaway #3)
  • Forever Friends (Cranberry Cove #1)
  • Cold Heart Creek (Detective Josie Quinn #7)
  • The Other People
  • Terns of Endearment (Meg Langslow, #25)
  • Death at Eden's End (DCI Satterthwaite, #2)
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
  • A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • Dachshund Through the Snow (Andy Carpenter #20)
  • What Happens in Paradise
  • Paper Son (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #12)
  • Fade to Black (Doug Brock #2)
  • To Kill a Mocking Girl
  • A Divided Loyalty (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #22)
Wednesday, September 7

Work-In-Progress Wednesday at my Reader Space. We're up to the fifth part of the second chapter of my eighth book, which has some numerological meaning, I'm sure. http://bit.ly/p2QwJa

The Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries (9 books)
  • In the Bleak Midwinter (The Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries #1)
  • A Fountain Filled with Blood (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #2)
  • Out of the Deep I Cry (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #3)
  • To Darkness and to Death (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #4)
  • All Mortal Flesh (The Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries #5)
  • I Shall Not Want (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #6)
  • One Was a Soldier (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #7)
  • Through the Evil Days (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #8)