Start by marking “Little Secrets” as Want to Read:
Little Secrets

Little Secrets

From the author of Jar of Hearts, a mother driven to the edge by the disappearance of her son learns her husband is having an affair with the woman who might have kidnapped him.
Four hundred and eighty seconds. That’s how long it took for someone to steal Marin Machado's four-year-old son.

Marin had the perfect life. Married to her college sweetheart, she owns a chain of
Expected publication: April 21st 2020 by Minotaur Books

Start your review of Little Secrets
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my fastest read I’ve lately done because this soul haunting, gripping, mend nerving, page turner truly captivates you from the beginning. You get hooked. You cannot resume doing your basic things like watching TV (thankfully I finished this one before binge watch Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, because reading this book or binge watching one of my favorite series may force me to invent a new activity like binge reawatching- read one page, look at the tv for one minute and repeat this ...more
Dita
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS!

EVERY STAR!

This is the best book I have read in a long time and I've read about 300 books this year. Do yourself a favor and read as little about it as possible before diving in.

This is not one to miss, I predict it will be all anyone in the book world is talking about in April 2020!

Thank you to Jennifer Hillier, Minotaur Books and NetGalley for giving me this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
This was so damn good! I will admit, I went into this blind, didn't read reviews, the blurb, nothing. I just saw that it was the author of one of my top reads last year ( Jar of Hearts) and I grabbed it as quick as I could. So I was a bit surprised that it was a story about a child abduction. I almost sighed because there have been so many of those lately...but don't you worry, this is a completely unique thriller and you will not be doing any sighing! As if a child missing is not enough, there ...more
Susanne  Strong

It’s What You Don’t Know..

Shopping in Pike’s Place Christmas Market with her son Sebastian (Bash), Marin’s life is absolutely perfect, until the moment that Bash is taken. Chaos ensues, yet he is nowhere to be found.

Four Hundred plus days later, Marin’s life is in shambles, while her husband Derek has been trying to move on.

The Private Investigator that Marin hired back when Bash went missing has turned up no new leads, at least not about Marin’s son. What she has discovered however
Kaceey
If you’re searching for the perfect thriller to lose yourself in over a weekend.... then this is your lucky day! This will most certainly fit the bill!

Marin has it all! A successful chain of salons catering to the movers and shakers. Not to mention several Hollywood Stars as well. Her marriage is a dream come true! Even after all these years together her husband still flirts with her. (You heard me right ladies!) Her dashing prince can still make her knees buckle.
Then there’s her perfect son
Jayme
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN NOT KNOWING....IS KNOWING”

240 seconds was all it took for someone to lead her son out of Pike’s Place Market when she let go of his hand for just a moment to respond to a text message...

It’s now been 485 mornings of this nightmare...of not knowing if her son, Sebastian is dead or alive.

On the 486th day, Marin finds out that she might lose her husband Derek, too.
Her husband has been sleeping with a younger woman for six months.

Marin is enraged.

Excerpt:
“She welcomes
Elyse  Walters
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Four minutes. That’s all it took to steal a child.
A lollipop, a Santa Suit, and two hundred forty seconds”.

Three days before Christmas... in the busy Seattle market, Marin Machado let go of her 4-year old son’s hand...

Sixteen months later....
“They say if a missing child Sebastian’s age isn’t found within 24 hours of his disappearance, chances are he never will be”.

It’s been 485 days since Marin and Derek lost their 4 year old son, Sebastian.

“Marin needed to stay home and fall apart, which
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This book is a fantastic read! The first chapter is excellent and I can imagine something like that could easily happen. The alternating view's first chapter is awesome as well! It's brutal honesty. Instagram is well played in this story and at times, hilarious. I like the reminder that what we see isn't always glamorous as presented. Both views are fascinating of each other and their individual lives. McKenzie's love life is interesting and I'm one to blame the guy for her mission on love and ...more
Mary Kubica
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What starts as a child abduction soon warps into something far more twisted and nefarious, thanks to the brilliance of mastermind, Jennifer Hillier. LITTLE SECRETS will leave readers completely floored. You don’t just read this book; you inhale it.
Michelle
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss-arc-s
Marin is happily married to her college sweetheart Derek and they have a beautiful son Sebastian. A few days before Christmas, and while at the farmers market, Marin drops Sebastian's hand for just a moment to answer a text but when she looks back up Sebastian is gone and never to be seen again.

16 months later and after two suicide attempts Marin is a shell of her former self. The rift in her marriage has grown and Derek spends more and more time traveling for work.

The case for Sebastian has
marilyn
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A mother's four year old son, Sebastian, is kidnapped from right beside her, in a busy shopping area. Marin will never forgive herself and will never stop looking for her son. Sixteen months later, she's still living the nightmare of her missing son and knows that she is barely hanging on by a thread. She's already attempted suicide once and if she ever learns that her son is dead, she knows she'll kill herself.

Marin's marriage to Derek is in shambles. She knows he blames her for losing sight of
Carol
LOSS. LIES. SECRETS.

LITTLE SECRETS is a complex story that begins with a little last minute Christmas shopping in Seattle. Marin has everything. A great salon business, a tall, handsome....and rich husband, close friends she can count on...one guy in particular and the love of her existence, her little four year old, Sebastian....who at the moment is antsy to get his promised lollipop.

It only took a minute, a phone call, a released hand-hold and he was gone, disappeared in a crowed

Tammie
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Little Secrets was a solid 5 star read. The book centers around main character Marin, a woman that is living the American dream -with a successful career, wealth, and loving family, she seems to have it all. Marin’s life is nearly destroyed however when her young son is kidnapped and and she later learns that her husband is having an affair with a much younger woman named Kenzie. Marin begins to investigate Kenzie, a struggling grad student with an ailing mother to care for, and wonders what ...more
Bridgett
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, favorites
So, I just checked...I've read every single Jennifer Hillier novel ever written, and have given them all 4 or 5 star ratings. Do you have any idea how unusual that is for me? Throughout my entire life, I've never had an author so consistently write books I've unequivocally loved. It's a Festivus miracle! I think Ms. Hillier has slowly worked her way up through the ranks, and is currently my absolute favorite author.

What starts as a child abduction story, quickly morphs into something far more
NZLisaM
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How far would you go to save your marriage?

Marin Machado's entire world fell apart the day her five-year-old, Sebastian, was abducted from a crowded farmers market. She only let go of his hand for a second to answer a text, but in an instant, he was gone.

Sixteen months later, and Marin is barely functioning. Her husband, Derek, is distant and absent, and the FBI have no leads or suspects regarding Sebastian’s disappearance. When Marin is informed of Derek’s infidelity with a
Rose
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading Little Secrets by Jennifer Hillier, and thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish!

Great writing with lots of twists and turns. I really like this author's style of writing. I had previously read her book " Jar of Hearts", and will definitely look to read the rest of her books

Thanks you to The NetGalley team, St. Martin's Press, and the author for this copy in exchange for an honest review

I am also from Toronto as is the author, and currently live on the west coast in
Theresa Alan
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This novel won’t be released until spring, which is a good thing, because this is decidedly NOT a holiday read, even though Marin’s four-year-old son is kidnapped by someone in a Santa suit three days before Christmas.

Marin has become a successful businesswoman married to a successful businessman. After four attempts with IVF, she had Sebastian—she now, officially, had it all. Until, for just a few seconds, she stopped holding her son’s hand on a busy day of Christmas shopping at the mall so she
Tammy
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Marin’s son is snatched while shopping, the trail is cold, and her marriage is suffering. What else can go wrong? Quite a lot, actually. This is a lacerating thriller and that’s all you need to know.
Kathi Defranc
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A FANTASTIC story that will have you Praying, Crying, Fearful And Shocked as you travel with Marin Machado through some of the worst moments of her life,only to have more added to her misery as she attempts to recover! Be ready when opening this story, for the losses will grab you and drag you in to a swirling cyclone of Life, the Good and the Very bad!
Marin seems to have a perfect life, married to her college love, owning high-scale hair salons, and has a perfect four year old son, Sebastian.
megs_bookrack
This book has been popping up for me everywhere of late. So happy we will be getting a new Jennifer Hillier in 2020!!! Even more excited to have received an ARC!!

Thank you so much, St. Martin's Press. You are too kind!

Erin Clemence
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, first-reads
Special thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a free, electronic ARC of this novel.

Expected pub date: April 21, 2020

Marin is a successful hairstylist with an elite clientele, and her husband Derek is a hard-working entrepreneur. After several bouts of IVF, the two are blessed with a son, Sebastian. While out at the market one day, Sebastian disappears, last seen leaving a parking garage with an individual dressed as Santa Claus. Marin, of course, blames herself and her relationship with
Ash
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of twisty mysteries
Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book wasn’t at all what I expected, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It had a few flaws, but it featured strong characters and kept me entertained throughout.

Little Secrets stars two female protagonists who couldn’t be more different. Marin is the wealthy, successful owner of a chain of high-end salons, married to business mogul Derek. Their son, Sebastian, was kidnapped a year ago in
DeAnn
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss-2020, 2020
5 secret stars (couldn't resist)

Wow, this one has stayed with me for a few days. Fantastic new book from Jennifer Hillier. I've previously read "Jar of Hearts" from her and it's great as well. This one isn't out until April 2020 but I think it will be a top 2020 book.

This one starts with a very chilling child kidnapping scene in Seattle’s Pike Place Market right before Christmas. Having just returned from Seattle, it was especially chilling to me because I could picture it so clearly!

We learn
Brandy
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Depression and the darkness that encompasses it has a way of swallowing you whole. Soundgarden said it best with, “I’m only faking when I get it right.” Marin understands darkness; she’s lived it. In a mere two hundred and forty seconds her young son, Bash, was ripped out of her life - abducted by a stranger. Yet, was the person dressed as Santa, who took her son truly a stranger? As Marin, continues to search for her son, yet trying to go on with her life she begins to question all that she ...more
Dennis
Jennifer Hillier has done it yet again, but this time with her upcoming novel Little Secrets , I finished this book in one-sitting! I've been sick for the past couple of days, so I definitely needed something fast-paced and wild to keep me from sneezing all over my apartment. Luckily, Ms. Hillier strikes again with a novel that sounds complicated, but fits perfectly for those psychological thriller fans.

In Hillier's Little Secrets , we meet Marin and her husband Derek. The two are successful
Martie Nees Record
Dec 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Genre: Mystery & Thriller
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Pub. Date: April 21, 2020

Mini-Review

The story is a decent read regarding a young child’s abduction. It could have been a very good read. It is written as a mystery. This makes sense because when the child is kidnapped and there is no ransom note what else can it be other than a mystery? But, the story is written basically as a thriller with all sorts of twists. (I guess I should have looked at the cover). This is where the author lost me.
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I could not put this book down. It was such a great read. I loved all the secrets and twists and turns. This is a must read, be sure to add it to your list.
4 star read, I recommend.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are our own.
Kimberly Belle
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After Jar of Hearts, I'll read anything Jennifer Hillier writes and Little Secrets was one of my most anticipated titles for 2020. This one lived up to expectations, a dark and gripping twister that I sucked down in one huge gulp. Jennifer is master at creating complicated, flawed characters who feel 100% human and relatable, and Marin was the star of this one. I loved her, I fussed at her, I cried and cheered for her. A riveting, terrifying thriller.
Holly  B
Wow, so many surprises and twists!

If you like dark, twisty and edge of seat suspense.... this is it!

This novel was so riveting from the very first chapter! What I thought was going be a typical kidnapping, missing child tale, turned into a thriller not to be missed.

"Exhale. Deep Breath in. Exhale."

It is a roller coaster of suspense that has a .... this could really happen..... in a reality is stranger than fiction kind of way.

Emotion filled, spine-tingling chills, and high five that Karma
Nicole ☠ "psychological" thrill me❗
Unbelievably captivating and thrilling, Little Lies is an unputdownable story of a woman on the edge whose living every mothers worst nightmare. I found this book to be fast paced, finishing it in one sitting. When I first read the description I was a bit weary because there are so many thriller out there that deal with child abductions but my god, this turned out to be completely out of the box. Hillier intricately weaved multiple storylines together to create such a diabolical and manipulative ...more

• The New Husband
  • The Look-Alike
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • Pretty Things
  • Good Girls Lie
Jennifer Hillier writes about dark, twisted people who do dark, twisted things. Born and raised in Toronto and a proud Canadian, she spent eight years in the Seattle area, which is where all her books are set.

She loves her son, her husband, the Seahawks, and Stephen King. Not equally, but close. She's the author of five novels. Her newest psychological thriller JAR OF HEARTS, is available now from