Start by marking “Little Secrets” as Want to Read:

Little Secrets

From the author of Jar of Hearts, a mother driven to the edge by the disappearance of her son learns her husband is having an affair with the woman who might have kidnapped him.
Four hundred and eighty seconds. That’s how long it took for someone to steal Marin Machado's four-year-old son.

Marin had the perfect life. Married to her college sweetheart, she owns a chain of
Expected publication: April 21st 2020 by Minotaur Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 21, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win 1 of 100 copies of LITTLE SECRETS by Jennifer Hillier.

"Unflinching and unforgettable. Little Secrets has everything you want

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 49 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 17 - Feb 28, 2020

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Little Secrets, please sign up.
    This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
    Maggie
    This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Little Secrets
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This is one of my fastest read I’ve lately done because this soul haunting, gripping, mend nerving, page turner truly captivates you from the beginning. You get hooked. You cannot resume doing your basic things like watching TV (thankfully I finished this one before binge watch Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, because reading this book or binge watching one of my favorite series may force me to invent a new activity like binge reawatching- read one page, look at the tv for one minute and repeat this ...more
    Dita
    Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: netgalley
    5 STARS!

EVERY STAR!

This is the best book I have read in a long time and I've read about 300 books this year. Do yourself a favor and read as little about it as possible before diving in.

This is not one to miss, I predict it will be all anyone in the book world is talking about in April 2020!

Thank you to Jennifer Hillier, Minotaur Books and NetGalley for giving me this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
    Meredith
    Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: edelweiss
    Highly Addictive!

Little Secrets is a psychological thriller about a missing child. All is not what seems. That is all I am going to say because it is best to go in blind!

The narrative is split between the two main female characters. Both are well-developed and have distinct voices. All of the characters are all horrible a**holes, yet some are still likable.

Filled with secrets, deception and a ton of twists and turns, this book kept me riveted! It is fast-paced and filled with tension. I went
    Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
    Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: edelweiss
    This was so damn good! I will admit, I went into this blind, didn't read reviews, the blurb, nothing. I just saw that it was the author of one of my top reads last year ( Jar of Hearts) and I grabbed it as quick as I could. So I was a bit surprised that it was a story about a child abduction. I almost sighed because there have been so many of those lately...but don't you worry, this is a completely unique thriller and you will not be doing any sighing! As if a child missing is not enough, there ...more
    Holly  B
    Wow, so many surprises and twists!

If you like dark, twisty and edge of seat suspense.... this is it!

This novel was so riveting from the very first chapter! What I thought was going be a typical kidnapping, missing child tale, turned into a thriller not to be missed.

"Exhale. Deep Breath in. Exhale."

It is a roller coaster of suspense that has a .... this could really happen..... in a reality is stranger than fiction kind of way.

Emotion filled, spine-tingling chills, and high five that Karma
    marilyn
    Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    A mother's four year old son, Sebastian, is kidnapped from right beside her, in a busy shopping area. Marin will never forgive herself and will never stop looking for her son. Sixteen months later, she's still living the nightmare of her missing son and knows that she is barely hanging on by a thread. She's already attempted suicide once and if she ever learns that her son is dead, she knows she'll kill herself.

Marin's marriage to Derek is in shambles. She knows he blames her for losing sight of
    Debra
    Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: netgalley
    Marin appeared to have the perfect life. She had been happily married to her lying, cheating, scumbag, SOB husband, Derek (I don't have strong feelings about this at all) when one day their son, Sebastian is kidnapped. With no real suspects in sight, no hide nor hair of their son, the case goes cold.

Marin is now a wreck. She can't get past the pain of losing her son, she was right there holding his hand, she let go of his hand for a just a few seconds and in that time, he was gone. She is
    Kaceey
    If you’re searching for the perfect thriller to lose yourself in over a weekend.... then this is your lucky day! This will most certainly fit the bill!

Marin has it all! A successful chain of salons catering to the movers and shakers. Not to mention several Hollywood Stars as well. Her marriage is a dream come true! Even after all these years together her husband still flirts with her. (You heard me right ladies!) Her dashing prince can still make her knees buckle.
    Then there’s her perfect son
    Susanne  Strong

It’s What You Don’t Know..

Shopping in Pike’s Place Christmas Market with her son Sebastian (Bash), Marin’s life is absolutely perfect, until the moment that Bash is taken. Chaos ensues, yet he is nowhere to be found.

Four Hundred plus days later, Marin’s life is in shambles, while her husband Derek has been trying to move on.

The Private Investigator that Marin hired back when Bash went missing has turned up no new leads, at least not about Marin’s son. What she has discovered however
    Michelle
    Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: edelweiss-arc-s
    Marin is happily married to her college sweetheart Derek and they have a beautiful son Sebastian. A few days before Christmas, and while at the farmers market, Marin drops Sebastian's hand for just a moment to answer a text but when she looks back up Sebastian is gone and never to be seen again.

16 months later and after two suicide attempts Marin is a shell of her former self. The rift in her marriage has grown and Derek spends more and more time traveling for work.

The case for Sebastian has
    Jayme
    Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    “THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN NOT KNOWING....IS KNOWING”

240 seconds was all it took for someone to lead her son out of Pike’s Place Market when she let go of his hand for just a moment to respond to a text message...

It’s now been 485 mornings of this nightmare...of not knowing if her son, Sebastian is dead or alive.

On the 486th day, Marin finds out that she might lose her husband Derek, too.
    Her husband has been sleeping with a younger woman for six months.

Marin is enraged.

Excerpt:
    “She welcomes
    Elyse  Walters
    Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    “Four minutes. That’s all it took to steal a child.
    A lollipop, a Santa Suit, and two hundred forty seconds”.

Three days before Christmas... in the busy Seattle market, Marin Machado let go of her 4-year old son’s hand...

Sixteen months later....
    “They say if a missing child Sebastian’s age isn’t found within 24 hours of his disappearance, chances are he never will be”.

It’s been 485 days since Marin and Derek lost their 4 year old son, Sebastian.

“Marin needed to stay home and fall apart, which
    Gabby
    First read of 2020 and it was great! I was really excited to receive an ARC of this because it’s a thriller that sounded like something I would really enjoy. It’s about a mother who’s son goes missing, two years later and the police still haven’t found anything so she hires a PI who discovers her husband is having an affair. Marin will do anything to make sure she doesn’t lose her husband too.

This thriller did take a bit to get interesting, but after the first 100 pages the story really took
    Jasmine from How Useful It Is
    This book is a fantastic read! The first chapter is excellent and I can imagine something like that could easily happen. The alternating view's first chapter is awesome as well! It's brutal honesty. Instagram is well played in this story and at times, hilarious. I like the reminder that what we see isn't always glamorous as presented. Both views are fascinating of each other and their individual lives. McKenzie's love life is interesting and I'm one to blame the guy for her mission on love and ...more
    Mary Kubica
    Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    What starts as a child abduction soon warps into something far more twisted and nefarious, thanks to the brilliance of mastermind, Jennifer Hillier. LITTLE SECRETS will leave readers completely floored. You don’t just read this book; you inhale it.
    Carol
    LOSS. LIES. SECRETS.

LITTLE SECRETS is a complex story that begins with a little last minute Christmas shopping in Seattle. Marin has everything. A great salon business, a tall, handsome....and rich husband, close friends she can count on...one guy in particular and the love of her existence, her little four year old, Sebastian....who at the moment is antsy to get his promised lollipop.

It only took a minute, a phone call, a released hand-hold and he was gone, disappeared in a crowed

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
    The novel starts with every mother’s nightmare, she let’s go of her child’s hand for what seems like a moment while shopping in a crowd, to answer a text, and when she turns around he’s gone. Lots of mentions about texting and Instagram bring the novel into the current time.

On further reflection, basically realizing that I didn’t really care about any of the characters, I’m going to reduce my rating to 3*.

Marin and Derek have the so called and over overused, “perfect” life. They are both
    Theresa Alan
    Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This novel won’t be released until spring, which is a good thing, because this is decidedly NOT a holiday read, even though Marin’s four-year-old son is kidnapped by someone in a Santa suit three days before Christmas.

Marin has become a successful businesswoman married to a successful businessman. After four attempts with IVF, she had Sebastian—she now, officially, had it all. Until, for just a few seconds, she stopped holding her son’s hand on a busy day of Christmas shopping at the mall so she
    Erin Clemence
    Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: first-reads, kindle
    Special thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a free, electronic ARC of this novel.

Expected pub date: April 21, 2020

Marin is a successful hairstylist with an elite clientele, and her husband Derek is a hard-working entrepreneur. After several bouts of IVF, the two are blessed with a son, Sebastian. While out at the market one day, Sebastian disappears, last seen leaving a parking garage with an individual dressed as Santa Claus. Marin, of course, blames herself and her relationship with
    Bridgett
    Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arc, favorites
    So, I just checked...I've read every single Jennifer Hillier novel ever written, and have given them all 4 or 5 star ratings. Do you have any idea how unusual that is for me? Throughout my entire life, I've never had an author so consistently write books I've unequivocally loved. It's a Festivus miracle! I think Ms. Hillier has slowly worked her way up through the ranks, and is currently my absolute favorite author.

What starts as a child abduction story, quickly morphs into something far more
    DeAnn
    Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: edelweiss-2020, 2020
    5 secret stars (couldn't resist)

Wow, this one has stayed with me for a few days. Fantastic new book from Jennifer Hillier. I've previously read "Jar of Hearts" from her and it's great as well. This one isn't out until April 2020 but I think it will be a top 2020 book.

This one starts with a very chilling child kidnapping scene in Seattle’s Pike Place Market right before Christmas. Having just returned from Seattle, it was especially chilling to me because I could picture it so clearly!

We learn
    Tammie
    Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: mystery-thriller
    Little Secrets was a solid 5 star read. The book centers around main character Marin, a woman that is living the American dream -with a successful career, wealth, and loving family, she seems to have it all. Marin’s life is nearly destroyed however when her young son is kidnapped and and she later learns that her husband is having an affair with a much younger woman named Kenzie. Marin begins to investigate Kenzie, a struggling grad student with an ailing mother to care for, and wonders what ...more
    NZLisaM
    Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    How far would you go to save your marriage?

Marin Machado's entire world fell apart the day her five-year-old, Sebastian, was abducted from a crowded farmers market. She only let go of his hand for a second to answer a text, but in an instant, he was gone.

Sixteen months later, and Marin is barely functioning. Her husband, Derek, is distant and absent, and the FBI have no leads or suspects regarding Sebastian’s disappearance. When Marin is informed of Derek’s infidelity with a
    Rose
    Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Just finished reading Little Secrets by Jennifer Hillier, and thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish!

Great writing with lots of twists and turns. I really like this author's style of writing. I had previously read her book " Jar of Hearts", and will definitely look to read the rest of her books

Thanks you to The NetGalley team, St. Martin's Press, and the author for this copy in exchange for an honest review

I am also from Toronto as is the author, and currently live on the west coast in
    Tammy
    Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Marin’s son is snatched while shopping, the trail is cold, and her marriage is suffering. What else can go wrong? Quite a lot, actually. This is a lacerating thriller and that’s all you need to know.
    Ash
    Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: fans of twisty mysteries
    Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book wasn’t at all what I expected, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It had some flaws, but it featured strong characters and kept me entertained throughout.

Little Secrets stars two female protagonists who couldn’t be more different. Marin is the wealthy, successful owner of a chain of high-end salons, married to business mogul Derek. Their son, Sebastian, was kidnapped a year ago in
    Barbara

Marin Machado is Christmas shopping with her 4-year-old son Sebastian at Seattle's 'Pike Place Market' when the unthinkable happens.

Distracted by a phone call, Marin releases Sebastian's hand for a moment, and when she looks around the boy is gone.

A hunt for the child is fruitless, and security footage shows that a figure in a Santa Claus costume led Sebastian away.

The police search for Sebastian is thorough and extensive since Marin and her husband Derek are high profile citizens.
    Kathi Defranc
    Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A FANTASTIC story that will have you Praying, Crying, Fearful And Shocked as you travel with Marin Machado through some of the worst moments of her life,only to have more added to her misery as she attempts to recover! Be ready when opening this story, for the losses will grab you and drag you in to a swirling cyclone of Life, the Good and the Very bad!
    Marin seems to have a perfect life, married to her college love, owning high-scale hair salons, and has a perfect four year old son, Sebastian.
    Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
    I'm a big fan of Jennifer Hillier, so I couldn't wait to read Little Secrets! After her son goes missing, Marin's life is torn apart, and her world is upside down. She barely talks to her husband, and she can't focus on anything but finding her son. Sixteen months later, she's still working with a private investigator, hoping for a break in the case. When the PI finds out her husband is having an affair with a much younger woman named Kenzie, Marin decides to take things into her own hands. ...more
    megs_bookrack
    This book has been popping up for me everywhere of late. So happy we will be getting a new Jennifer Hillier in 2020!!! Even more excited to have received an ARC!!

Thank you so much, St. Martin's Press. You are too kind!

• The Night Swim
    • Unfollow Me
    • Pretty Things
    • The Better Liar
    • The Look-Alike
    Jennifer Hillier writes about dark, twisted people who do dark, twisted things. Born and raised in Toronto and a proud Canadian, she spent eight years in the Seattle area, which is where all her books are set.

She loves her son, her husband, the Seahawks, and Stephen King. Not equally, but close. She's the author of six novels, including JAR OF HEARTS, which won the Thriller Award, and was