Start by marking “Little Secrets” as Want to Read:
Little Secrets

Little Secrets

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  16,669 ratings  ·  3,363 reviews
Overwhelmed by tragedy, a woman desperately tries to save her marriage in award-winning author Jennifer Hillier's Little Secrets, a riveting novel of psychological suspense.

All it takes to unravel a life is one little secret...

Marin had the perfect life. Married to her college sweetheart, she owns a chain of upscale hair salons, and Derek runs his own company. They're admi
Published April 21st 2020 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Little Secrets, please sign up.
Shaye All the characters were seriously damaged. Kenzie had no conscience at all. I wanted her to die. Marin was suffering but she seemed really self absorb…moreAll the characters were seriously damaged. Kenzie had no conscience at all. I wanted her to die. Marin was suffering but she seemed really self absorbed and selfish. The only one that I truly felt sorry for was Derrick. Its probably not a popular opinion but he was alone in dealing with everything since Marin completely lost it.(less)
Joyce Probably not. I’m not a mother but I can assure you that this book mentions a mother’s greatest fear. Lots of triggers

·  16,669 ratings  ·  3,363 reviews

Start your review of Little Secrets
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my fastest read I’ve lately done because this soul haunting, gripping, mend nerving, page turner truly captivates you from the beginning. You get hooked. You cannot resume doing your basic things like watching TV (thankfully I finished this one before binge watch Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, because reading this book or binge watching one of my favorite series may force me to invent a new activity like binge reawatching- read one page, look at the tv for one minute and repeat this actio ...more
Dita has the 'rona!
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS!

EVERY STAR!

This is the best book I have read in a long time and I read about 300 books in 2019. Do yourself a favor and read as little about it as possible before diving in.

This is not one to miss, I predict it will be all anyone in the book world is talking about in April 2020!

Thank you to Jennifer Hillier, Minotaur Books and NetGalley for giving me this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Emily May
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
It's a myth that wedding rings prevent women from hitting on men. Some women are drawn to wedding rings like moths to a flame. For those women, the ring is exactly what they're looking for.

People have been trying to get me to read Jennifer Hillier for a while now, so I think maybe... I picked the wrong one to start with(?) Though I also should say that a major problem with my reading of Little Secrets was that I went into it with all the wrong expectations.

The blurb made me think that this w
Meredith
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
Highly Addictive!

Little Secrets is a psychological thriller about a missing child. All is not what seems. That is all I am going to say because it is best to go in blind!

The narrative is split between the two main female characters. Both are well-developed and have distinct voices. All of the characters are all horrible a**holes, yet some are still likable.

Filled with secrets, deception and a ton of twists and turns, this book kept me riveted! It is fast-paced and filled with tension. I went i
Deanna
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

This book definitely deserves its spot as one of the most anticipated thrillers of 2020!

I loved this author’s previous novel, “Jar of Hearts”. As soon as I heard about “Little Secrets”, I knew I HAD to read it as soon as possible. I had high hopes and I wasn’t let down.

This was a wickedly twisted and fast-paced read that satisfied me but also left me wanting more!

Sixteen months ago: Marin Machado is Christmas shopping
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
Happy publication day!!!!!!!! This book is out today- April 21st!! Don't miss out on this one!

This was so damn good! I will admit, I went into this blind, didn't read reviews, the blurb, nothing. I just saw that it was the author of one of my top reads last year ( Jar of Hearts) and I grabbed it as quick as I could. So I was a bit surprised that it was a story about a child abduction. I almost sighed because there have been so many of those lately...but don't you worry, this is a completely uniq
megs_bookrack
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
Marin Machado is a boss.

A successful business woman, who owns upscale hair salons catering to the stars. She is confident and happy.

Her equally successful husband, Derek, is also an entrepreneur. In addition to their thriving careers, the couple have one child, a little boy, Sebastian.

Marin has it all.

That is until Sebastian is kidnapped from a busy shopping center just prior to the Christmas holiday.

In the blink of an eye, Marin and Derek's world shatters. Devastated by their son's disappeara
Mary Beth
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 Speechless Stars!

Marin and Derek seem to have the perfect life until they lose their son, Sebastion. It is so heartbreaking, he was just holding his mother's hand and Marin sends a text and Sebastion is gone. He has vanished without a trace. It's every parents nightmare! Derek, Marin's husband, is cheating and Marin is getting crazier!

This is one crazy thriller. It will blow your mind. I am utterly in awe. It lived up to all the hype for me. This has everything that I love in a thriller. I lov
Holly  B (semi-hiatus until Jan)
Wow, so many surprises and twists!

If you like dark, twisty and edge of seat suspense.... this is it!

This novel was so riveting from the very first chapter! What I thought was going be a typical kidnapping, missing child tale, turned into a thriller not to be missed.

"Exhale. Deep Breath in. Exhale."

It is a roller coaster of suspense that has a .... this could really happen..... in a reality is stranger than fiction kind of way.

Emotion filled, spine-tingling chills, and high five that Ka
Maureen
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four year old Sebastian is kidnapped during a Christmas shopping trip with his mother Marin. She only let go of his hand for a short time to reply to a text, and just like that, he was gone!

It is now the autumn of the following year and his mother, Marin, hairdresser to the stars, is still traumatised as he is still missing - she completely blames herself. Her husband, Derek, a financier dealing with big, big money, has become more and more remote and is spending most of his time at work, which
marilyn
Available as of April 21, 2020!

A mother's four year old son, Sebastian, is kidnapped from right beside her, in a busy shopping area. Marin will never forgive herself and will never stop looking for her son. Sixteen months later, she's still living the nightmare of her missing son and knows that she is barely hanging on by a thread. She's already attempted suicide once and if she ever learns that her son is dead, she knows she'll kill herself.

Marin's marriage to Derek is in shambles. She knows h
Chelsea Humphrey
This is going to be an incredibly difficult book to review, not only because I'm already the outlier on what is most definitely a popular and highly anticipated release, but because of the twists and spoilers abundant in Little Secrets. I have nothing but love and respect for Jennifer Hillier, and I can attest to her exceptional writing skills after adoring Jar of Hearts last year, which is likely why rating this book at a middle ground 3 stars pains me. At the risk of sounding like a broken rec ...more
Debra
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Marin appeared to have the perfect life. She had been happily married to her lying, cheating, scumbag, SOB husband, Derek (I don't have strong feelings about this at all) when one day their son, Sebastian is kidnapped. With no real suspects in sight, no hide nor hair of their son, the case goes cold.

Marin is now a wreck. She can't get past the pain of losing her son, she was right there holding his hand, she let go of his hand for a just a few seconds and in that time, he was gone. She is stuck
Kaceey
If you’re searching for the perfect thriller to lose yourself in over a weekend.... then this is your lucky day! This will most certainly fit the bill!

Marin has it all! A successful chain of salons catering to the movers and shakers. Not to mention several Hollywood Stars as well. Her marriage is a dream come true! Even after all these years together her husband still flirts with her. (You heard me right ladies!) Her dashing prince can still make her knees buckle.
Then there’s her perfect son Se
jessica
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
this is one of the most satisfying mysteries/thrillers i have read in a long time. i cant even remember the last time i finished one and was just so dang pleased with how it ended.

this is definitely a slow burner. there is so much build-up and setting the scene and introducing the characters that it got to a point where i was like 'okay… but what about the missing son??' but then things started to come together and i was living for it.

the characters are definitely the shining star of the story
Tina
I am currently re-reading this book by listening to the audiobook.

First time reading (February 2020-Reading ARC paper book) 5 Stars
Second Time Reading (October 2020-Listening to the Audiobook) 5 Stars

This is a Psychological Thriller. This book was so good, and it takes you on a wild ride with twists and turns. I loved it and I never wanted to put it down. The twisted in the book was so good, but I have to say there is a lot of hard things to read in this book (kidnapping, self harm, and more)..
Susanne  Strong

It’s What You Don’t Know..

Shopping in Pike’s Place Christmas Market with her son Sebastian (Bash), Marin’s life is absolutely perfect, until the moment that Bash is taken. Chaos ensues, yet he is nowhere to be found.

Four Hundred plus days later, Marin’s life is in shambles, while her husband Derek has been trying to move on.

The Private Investigator that Marin hired back when Bash went missing has turned up no new leads, at least not about Marin’s son. What she has discovered however
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
**THIS BOOK IS NOW AVAILABLE**

The novel starts with every mother’s nightmare, she let’s go of her child’s hand for what seems like a moment while shopping in a crowd, to answer a text, and when she turns around he’s gone. Lots of mentions about texting and Instagram bring the novel into the current time.

On further reflection, basically realizing that I didn’t really care about any of the characters, I’m going to reduce my rating to 3*.

Marin and Derek have the so called and over overused, “perf
Paromjit
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
After reading the wonderful Jar of Hearts, I was always going to read Jennifer Hillier's latest heart stopping psychological thriller, set in Seattle, that grabbed me right from the beginning. Marin is the woman with everything, the perfect life, running a string of hair salons for the wealthy and celebrities, with a good looking husband, Derek, a CEO and wealthy man in his own right, pillars of the community, blessed with a 4 year old son, Sebastian, conceived after fertility treatments. All it ...more
Jayme
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE WAIT IS OVER!

“THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN NOT KNOWING....IS KNOWING”

240 seconds was all it took for someone to lead her son out of Pike’s Place Market when she let go of his hand for just a moment to respond to a text message...

It’s now been 485 mornings of this nightmare...of not knowing if her son, Sebastian is dead or alive.

On the 486th day, Marin finds out that she might lose her husband Derek, too.
Her husband has been sleeping with a younger woman for six months.

Marin is enraged.

Exce
Michelle
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss-arc-s
Marin is happily married to her college sweetheart Derek and they have a beautiful son Sebastian. A few days before Christmas, and while at the farmers market, Marin drops Sebastian's hand for just a moment to answer a text but when she looks back up Sebastian is gone and never to be seen again.

16 months later and after two suicide attempts Marin is a shell of her former self. The rift in her marriage has grown and Derek spends more and more time traveling for work.

The case for Sebastian has g
Elyse  Walters
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Four minutes. That’s all it took to steal a child.
A lollipop, a Santa Suit, and two hundred forty seconds”.

Three days before Christmas... in the busy Seattle market, Marin Machado let go of her 4-year old son’s hand...

Sixteen months later....
“They say if a missing child Sebastian’s age isn’t found within 24 hours of his disappearance, chances are he never will be”.

It’s been 485 days since Marin and Derek lost their 4 year old son, Sebastian.

“Marin needed to stay home and fall apart, which sh
JanB
And this is exactly what a thriller should be! Go into this one blind, as I did. Do not read the blurb as it gives away way too much.

What makes a riveting thriller? A compulsive page-turner that keeps you flipping the pages, a story that touches you deeply, making your heart race. A book that is plotted perfectly with no eye-rolling moments, no ridiculous endings. This author hit all the right notes and delivered a thrilling, gut-punching thriller. In a genre that has often failed to deliver,
Arini
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Take it from someone who wishes to have kids of her own someday and already has three niblings about the same age as Sebastian, this book was a tough read. I can’t imagine how heartbreaking it must be for any parents to read it. On another note, I’m getting more addicted to thrillers the more I discover about them. I wouldn’t mind some recommendations if you’d be so kind to drop them my way.

Peter
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Devious
Little four-year-old Sebastian and his mother Marin Machado are shopping in a crowded shopping centre in Seattle. The Christmas air is filled with excitement and anticipation. As Marin drops Sebastian’s hand to respond to a text message, the next two hundred and forty seconds will see the Machado's world fall apart as the unimaginable happens and someone kidnaps their son.

A month after Sebastian went missing, the police and FBI have all but given up hope. While the case will remain open,
Larry H
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, rounded up.

Now THAT’S how you do a thriller.

It was a crazy day shopping at Pike Place Market since it was just before the holidays. Marin’s young son Sebastian was whining that he wanted a fancy lollipop from their favorite candy store, and she’ll get it for him as soon as she buys one last gift.

One second he’s right next to her and when she goes to reply to a text, in a split second, he is gone. Someone has taken Sebastian, and the two essentially have disappeared into thin air.

Sumit RK
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
All it takes to unravel a life is one little secret...

Right at the start, I would advise all book lovers to start reading this book straightway--without even read the synopsis. This book is more enjoyable when you have no idea where things are going.

Marin had a perfect life. Married to her college sweetheart, she owns a chain of upscale hair salons, and Derek runs his own company. They're admired in their community and are a loving family—until their world falls apart the day their son Seba
daph pink  君は
2.75✨

SURPRISINGLY MEDICORE
Honestly if you are looking for some good 5 star review this is not the place for you. It has been one of my most anticipated read to 2020 and I am disappointed.

I have been reading mystery / thriller books from a very long time and it takes effort for a book to please me .

What I disliked ?

• Characters
:- I couldn't connect with most of then , their stupid actions and decisions made me wanna throw a hammer on their face!
Marin being one of the most stupid character a
BernLuvsBooks
This book is full of secrets, twists & turns, revelations, heartbreak and guilt. It's been awhile since a thriller packed an emotional punch for me and this one really did.

Marin had the perfect life...until she didn't. She's driven to the edge by her son's disappearance and her husband's infidelity. faced with her husband's infidelity Marin begins to feel again. Fueled by rage there's no telling how far she will go to face off with her enemy.

Jennifer Hillier does it again! I'm a huge fan of Jar
Liz
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, rounded up
This is my first book by Jennifer Hillier, but I’ve been anxious to read something of hers for a while. This is an extremely fast, easy read. I blew through it. It starts with a mother losing her four year old son in Pike Place Market. She soon learns he’s been kidnapped. Sixteen months later, and he’s still gone. Then she discovers her husband is having an affair. At this point, she makes an irrevocable decision.
The story alternates between Marin, the wife and mother, and
Play Book Tag: Little Secrets - Jennifer Hillier 4/5 2 31 May 20, 2020 12:34PM

• Randomize
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • Emergency Skin
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood
  • My Friend Anna: The True Story of a Fake Heiress
  • Running Out of Road (Buck Schatz #3)
  • Trouble Is What I Do
  • The Museum of Desire (Alex Delaware, #35)
  • The Lying Room
  • Grace Is Gone
  • Good Night Wisconsin
  • If Animals Said I Love You
  • In My Nest
  • The Going to Bed Book
  • Welcome Little One
  • A Reasonable Doubt (Robin Lockwood #3)
  • Ark
Jennifer Hillier writes about dark, twisted people who do dark, twisted things. Born and raised in Toronto and a proud Canadian, she spent eight years in the Seattle area, which is where all her books are set.

She loves her son, her husband, the Seahawks, and Stephen King. Not equally, but close. She's the author of six novels, including JAR OF HEARTS, which won the Thriller Award, and was shortlis

Articles featuring this book

Summer is a great time to lose yourself in a page-turning mystery. To help you sleuth out a new read, we asked five of the season’s hottest...
“You know what it’s like having a child? ... It’s like your heart walking out the door on two legs, vulnerable and unprotected. It’s scary as hell.” 10 likes
“Who would have thought that who you love and who you feel safe with might not be the same person?” 4 likes