Start by marking “An Everyday Hero (Heart of a Hero #2)” as Want to Read:
An Everyday Hero (Heart of a Hero #2)

An Everyday Hero

(Heart of a Hero #2)

From award-winning author Laura Trentham comes an emotionally layered novel about redemption, second chances and discovering that life is worth fighting for.

Published February 4th 2020 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about An Everyday Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Everyday Hero

Start your review of An Everyday Hero (Heart of a Hero #2)
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Awesome story! I luv how much they grew through their love.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I can’t believe I’ve never read a story by this author before. When I read the synopsis there was no question about excepting this review. And I’m so glad I did.

I immediately connected with Emmett. I have intimate knowledge of a lot of what he was going through from personal knowledge and I was impressed by the authors detail of his anger, frustration, and pain.

I also really enjoyed Greer. She was unique and chose to enjoy
Mackey
I was SO not expecting to like this book, An Everyday Hero. Like the main character, I’ve had enough of endless, mindless wars. I’m a Colonel’s wife and an Air Force brat and I have been faced with its horrors for far too long. I assumed that this book would be another sappy, propagandist piece of tripe. Let me assure you and loudly admit – I was WRONG!

DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

The impulse to punch Wayne in the face simmered below the surface like a volcano no longer at rest… Dressed in his tan uniform, Wayne adjusted his heavy gun belt so often she imagined he got off every night by rubbing his gun. Giving him a badge had only empowered the part of him desperate for respect and approval. His nickname in high school, “the Weasel,” had been well earned.

Her dream of hearing one of her songs on the radio had died. Not in a blaze of glory but from a slow,
TeriLyn
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**An Everyday Hero generously provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**

5 "Maybe I will." Stars

This was my first Laura Trentham women's fiction novel and will not be my last. Intrigued by the blurb I went into this book completely blind and came away from reading it with a lighter heart. The timing of me reading this novel full of despair turned into hope and survival could not have come at a better time for me. There was familiar about the themes of the story
Zoe
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heartfelt, uplifting, and sweetly romantic!

An Everyday Hero is a compelling, touching tale that reminds us of the enduring emotional, physical, and psychological effects of war on those in the military and their families and highlights the incredible healing power that friendship, trust, love, and music can have.

The prose is clear and fluid. The characters are wounded, stubborn, and empathetic. And the story is a beautiful tale about life, loss, grief, family, ambition, forgiveness,
Bookphenomena (Micky)
There was nothing average about this second instalment in Laura Trentham’s A Heart of a Hero series. Book one knocked my socks off and book two solidified my commitment and affection for this series. This is a multi-dimensional read that is small town but big impression.

I was expecting to see a link to the previous book but this is not an interconnected standalone, it is a true standalone, connected in the series by the theme of military heroes. For a quick moment, I was disappointed about this,
Bonnye Reed
I received a free electronic copy of this novel on October 5, 2019, from Netgalley, Laura Trentham, and St. Martin's Press - Griffin. Thank you all for sharing your hard work with me. I have read An Everyday Hero of my own volition, and this review reflects my honest personal opinion of this work. I am pleased to recommend An Everyday Hero to friends and family.

Laura Trentham brings us a novel with fully rounded protagonists facing relevant, modern problems and handling them with grace and
book bruin
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very sweet romance that dealt with some very serious issues. I don't often read military themed novels, but I really enjoyed the hopeful message of An Everyday Hero. Laura Trentham's writing was wonderful and I found myself highlighting passages throughout the book. I appreciated that both main characters, Greer and Emmett, were bruised but not broken. They each had their own demons to battle, but they supported and pushed each other to be better and move forward. I felt like the ...more
Kendall
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
With having read The Military Wife and absolutely loved... naturally I had to read the second in the series. Mind you they can definitely both be standalone novels.

An Everyday Hero is a touching tale that reminds us of the physical, emotional, and psychological effects of war on those that are/haved served in the military as well as their families. This novel is really close to my heart because my husband recently joined the Navy and was deployed early this year. I have an ultimate understanding
Bookgasms Book Blog
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shelly
An Everyday Hero was my first book by this author, and I was so pleasantly surprised. I mean, I loved the blurb, so I was excited to take the chance. But there's always a little spark of surprise when beneath that enticing blurb lies a story full of heart.

There is definitely a Hallmark-y vibe to this story. It's sweet and somewhat predictable. But it's also smartly written and told in a way that felt relatable and engaging and sometimes downright charming. It moved a little slowly for me
Becky Claxon
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am so blessed to be able to read Ms. Trentham’s books and write a review. She has such a gift for writing that her books are not just enjoyable, but they make me think and look more at myself to be a better person. Greer and Emmett are two lost souls who end back in the small suburb of Nashville called Madison. Greer has always loved to write songs, sing and play her guitar. She knew she would go to Nashville and make it big, until one night she froze on stage at the Bluebird Cafe. Now she is ...more
Jane
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from Goodreads First-reads with no expectations.

What a wonderful story this was. Emmett Lawson has returned from Afghanistan minus a leg and full of survivors’ guilt. Anyone will tell you he is a mess. He has chosen to live his life in a cabin out in the middle of nowhere. He even has a locked gate to his cabin so no one can get to him. He just wants to be alone.

Greer Hadley had a dream. She wanted to become a star and so she moved to Nashville. Things didn't quite
Margaret Watkins
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Put together a reclusive wounded veteran, an angry rebellious teenager, and a failed musician and what would have been a recipe for disaster becomes the long road back to healing and restoration. Greer's moment of inebriated rage lands her in a community service program where her unconventional approach to reaching her clients earns her their respect and that of her mentor. Ally's anger stems from the death of her father and the inability of her mother to handle their terrible loss. Emmett has ...more
Christine~justlovemybooks.com blog~
After I read the blurb for An Everyday Hero, I knew this book was for me. I knew this would be a book that tugged at my heart and made me smile at the same time. One would think this is not a book filled with smiles and laughter but I disagree. That said, there is some intense and heartbreaking situations in this book. The heroine, Greer, was one sassy, take no nonsense woman. Even after the bad luck and lack of success she'd been facing in her music career, Greer still has a strong, likable ...more
Rebecca
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Unable to make it as a musician in Nashville and shocked to discover her boyfriend is cheating on her, Greer is arrested after a night of poor choices. To atone for her sins, the judge orders her to complete community service at Music Tree Foundation, an organization that uses music to relieve anxiety, depression, and/or PTSD. There, she finds not only a new purpose in life while working with Ally, a troubled teen, and Emmett, a troubled veteran (who feels guilty for surviving while others in ...more
Janet
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At thirty, Greer Hadley never expected to be forced home to Madison, Tennessee with her life and dreams of being a songwriter up in flames then she ends up doing community service an organization that aids veterans and their families. When Greer meets fifteen-year-old Ally Martinez, her plans to stay detached and do as little as possible get thrown away. New to town and dealing with the death of her father in action, she hides her emotions behind a mask of bitterness and sarcasm, but Greer is ...more
Maria
I was invited to view this ARC through NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it
4.5 stars.
“An Everyday Hero”, by Laura Trentham (St. Martin’s Griffin), is a well-written and engaging story, with interesting and well-defined characters and a great setting. The romance is a slow-burn, the characters wonderfully fleshed out, the dialogue lively and fun and the storyline absorbing, flowing smoothly.
The familiarity, easiness between the leads, the way they spend time just hanging out and being together
Shelley
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After a drunken escapade at the local pub, Greer must undertake community service at a nonprofit organization that aids veterans.

There wasn’t anything I disliked about this small-town romance. The dialog is great, and the plot flows well, but it is the compelling and relatable characters who make this book extra special.

Greer is depressed after her music career has hit a dead end. She’d rather pick up rubbish than work at the nonprofit, but after meeting Ally Martinez, who has lost her military
ROBIN RUIZ
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I absolutely loved this book.
From the minute we meet Greer, we laugh , we cheer and we want her to win !
When we meet Emmett, we want what Greer wants for him , to rejoin the living .
Greer and Emmett are pure chemistry together , two lost souls, who need each other regardless of what they both think. These two make each other a better person.
I laughed , I cried , I cheered , I haven’t had this much fun with a book and it’s characters in a long time !
This is my favorite Laura Trentham book! I
Vickie
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a one-of-a kind, realistic look at what happens when people face tragedy and pain and are forced to come out the other side. Greer Hadley is a talented musician who has lost her chance in Nashville and returns to her hometown of Madison, TN with her “tail between her legs.” Because of multiple wrong choices, she ends up having to do community service. Thus, the stage is set for a wonderful love story, told with so much pathos that the emotions jump off the pages. One of the persons ...more
Terry
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful.
Author Laura Trentham gives new life and meaning to the words, 'everyday hero'.
Those who society may look on as damaged, unredeemable, hardened and yes, even throw away people, ones who are often overlooked and shut off from the mainstream, CAN be everyday heroes, and in this novel that's exactly what they are.

The chemistry between the characters was spot on. The dialogue was natural, witty, stayed true to each character, and allowed the story to develop realistically.
Susan Peterson
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this warm-hearted story. It was incredibly moving, dealing with serious issues, but told with humor and love. Greer, Emmett and Ally are each dealing with loss and uncertainty, and when their paths cross they are reluctant to get close to anyone; three outcasts shielding their hearts. I fell in love with them all—Greer with her biting sarcasm, wit, and determination; Emmett who lashed out in pain, anger, and guilt; and Ally, a teenager dealing with grief and loss. I love a ...more
Claire Scott
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just finished An Everyday Hero and I read it in one sitting...I loved this book...honestly I think this is one of the best books I’ve read all year. I loved Greer and Emmett, and I devoured every word. I found myself getting choked up reading emmetts story...Laura Trentham’s writing beautifully portrayed the horror of war. I think Greer is my favourite heroine of Trentham’s....so much sass!
Julie (Jewlsbookblog)
Greer is coming home after years of trying to break into country music and nothing to show for it. To make matters worse, she’s assigned volunteer work for a bit of a whoopsy after catching her boyfriend in flagrante. She’s not thrilled, but wants her punishment over and done with so she can continue stewing in misery. Her sarcastic outlook and daydream mentality made her easy to like, even when she was struggling with the concept of, well, seriously “adulting”, but her journey to maturity was ...more
Irene

An Everyday Hero by Laura Trentham is a beautifully written and heartfelt read.
I enjoyed the storyline, it held my interest from start to end and I loved watching all the relationships unfold.

Overall, An Everyday Hero is a heartwarming read that touched my heart and an excellent addition to the Heart of a Hero series.

Now Live!
Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Hero-...

*An ARC was provided in exchange for my honest thoughts.*
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
ARC received via Netgalley for an honest review

This is the second Heart of a Hero story, and can be read totally as a stand alone.

I like Greer and Emmett's story a lot more than the first story (not that I didn't like the first book, just this one better).

This book shows that you that heroes come in every shape and form. Emmett is the quintessential military hero - though he does not see himself that way.

Greer does not think she is any kind of hero, she is just doing what she has to do.

But what
Debbie Smith
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Trentham’s first book, The Military Wife, was so well written that I couldn’t wait to read her second in this series. And I wasn’t disappointed with An Everyday Hero.

When Greer Hadley walks away from her dreams of making it big in Nashville she returns to her tiny hometown of Madison, Tenn. But the boyfriend who was supposed to be patiently waiting for her return hasn’t been patient or faithful.

Her unhappiness by both Nashville and her once boyfriend cause Greer to respond by heading to the
Penney
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
About the book,
At thirty, Greer Hadley never expected to be forced home to Madison, Tennessee with her life and dreams of being a songwriter up in flames. To make matters worse, a series of bad decisions and even crappier luck lands her community service hours at a nonprofit organization that aids veterans and their families. Greer cannot fathom how she’s supposed to use music to help anyone deal with their trauma and loss when the one thing that brought her joy has failed her.

When Greer meets
Kathryn
An Everyday Hero by Laura Trentham certainly wins my vote as a reader who loves a deeply satisfying story of redemption, second chances and sheer gutsiness.

Greer has returned home after years of just plodding along in the music industry to find her boyfriend cheating on her. After a bout of drunkenness and disorder she is sentenced to helping at a music center for veterans and her families.

One of the people she is assigned is Ally, a really anti, sullen teen, who has lost her father in war.
Readingtilthebreakofdawn
I was very impressed with this small town fiction romance written by Laura Trentham. It was my first book written by this author and I'm so glad I took the chance on this book.
Set in a small town in Tennessee, Laura took three characters and made them grow in a very realistic way. She introduced them in their low points of life and they all ended up crossing paths. I felt like I knew the characters and that they could have been someone in my own town.
The book starts out with Greer moving back

• The Last Real Cowboy (Cold River Ranch, #3)
  • Been There, Married That
  • Tucker (The McBrides of Texas #2; Eternity Springs #17)
  • Scot Under the Covers (Wild Wicked Highlanders, #2)
  • Wild, Wild Rake (The Cavensham Heiresses #6)
  • Forever My Duke (Unlikely Duchesses, #2)
  • Christmas Angels
  • A Cowboy Like You (Heart of Texas #4)
  • Once Upon a Cowboy Christmas (River Ranch, #3)
  • Sisters by Choice (Blackberry Island, #4)
  • The Light After the War
  • Behind Every Lie
  • Weekend Fling (Crazy Love, #4)
  • The Third to Die (Mobile Response Team, #1)
  • Cartier's Hope
  • Almost Just Friends (Wildstone, #4)
  • The Second Home
  • The New Husband
Author of smart, sexy Southern contemporary romance, Regency historicals, & heartfelt Women's Fiction
Series include:
Sweet Home Alabama
Cottonbloom
Spies and Lovers
Heart of a Hero
Highland, Georgia

Heart of a Hero (2 books)
  • The Military Wife (Heart of a Hero, #1)