Start by marking “The Love Scam” as Want to Read:

The Love Scam

A sweet and sassy contemporary romance from New York Times bestselling author MaryJanice Davidson.

Rake Tarbell is in trouble. When the fabulously wealthy and carefree bachelor wakes up horribly hungover in Venice, it’s not something that would normally be a problem...except he has no idea how he got there from California. Or who stole his wallet. Or who emptied his bank
Expected publication: August 4th 2020 by St. Martin's Griffin

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Aug 04, 2020
    Enter to win one (1) of 100 ARCs of MaryJanice Davidson's The Love Scam!

A sweet and sassy romantic comedy from New York Times bestselling author

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 2741 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 06 - Jan 20, 2020

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Love Scam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Scam

Start your review of The Love Scam
    Danielle from Short and Sassy
    I loved the idea and concept of this book. I really thought I was going to love it. I honestly did. That was not thecae. I struggled with the writing and the plot. I tried, I did. I didn't end up finishing it.
    Donna Hines
    The Love Scam starts with a great romantic allure in that here's a guy with a major hangover in Venice of all places..I mean HELLLOOOO!
    Now we also learn that a young lady is involved claiming to be a long lost daughter while he's simply trying to relocate his wallet and figure out how the hell he got to Italy from California.
    Oh, the timing...
    Enter Claire who'll do just about anything for Lilith and Rake and certainly that includes showcasing sarcasm, humor, and witt but sometimes it went to the
    Olivia L
    Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
    I really liked the premise for this tale but the execution missed the mark. The writing was beyond being delightfully quirky. The narrative was mired in excessive sarcasm, witticisms, and a boatload of errant observations that needed to be housed in parentheses. The result was a story line buried in the extreme. The characters were caricatures and the story trudged along at a snail's pace. I can't recall how many chapters it took to fish Rake out of the lake and get him a shower. Sadly, this ...more
    Stone_Assassin
    Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
    Let me just gather my brain for s second....
    Okay I’m back.
    First of all, let me say that I loved the idea of this book. The plot twists were pretty genius. The characters were sort of interesting and I do love all things Italian.
    With all that being said I did not LOVE this book. It is a good rainy day read. It just feels sort of rushed. There is A LOT going on in the story and I feel like some of it is mostly just filling.
    As I said, the idea of this book is wonderful, but with so much extra
    Heidi Lengenfelder
    Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: netgalley
    The Love Scam is a sweet and sassy contemporary romance. Rake wakes up horribly hungover in Venice and has no clue how he got there from California. His wallet has been stolen along with millions of dollars from his bank account. He also has no clue who Lillith is; a charming little girl who is claiming to be his long lost daughter. Claire laughs at Rake's problems and doesn't feel bad adding to them by bringing Lillith to the mix. Rake needs help and Claire has all the answers. Claire will do ...more
    Carolyn Stumpf
    Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
    Thank you to St. Martin’s Press and NetGalley for the ARC of The Love Scam, all opinions expressed in the review are my own. That being said, I am rating this book 3 stars. I found it incredibly hard to get into and stay into. There were so many asides or maybe they were characters’ thoughts in parentheses that I found them off-putting while reading.
    The characters, Rake and Delaney, were somewhat interesting, but I feel like I would’ve been more into each of them if they were developed more
    Konny
    Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
    3,5 Stars go TLS by MaryJanice Davidson. TLS is book two in her Danger Series. Every book can be read as a stand-alone. The previous book is Danger, Sweetheart, Blake and Natalie's story.
    Rake Tarbell, twinbrother of Blake is the more careless type. He wakes up in Venice with no clue what happened and how he ended here, thanks to too much indulgence in the spirit. What he finds is a strange woman with special skills and a girl who claims to be his daughter. That's the stuff for a great read.
    TLS
    Bernice Burton
    Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    She's back and better than ever, people! Mary Janice Davidson drew rom-com (emphasis on the com!) readers in first with her Undead series and now she's having us hold our bellies from laughter with Danger. In the second book in the series, The Love Scam focuses on Rake Tarbell, a rich boy from a rich family. But he's our lovable, polyglot, fun-loving rich boy who gets into a lot of trouble in Venice. With Claire Delaney and Lillith, awesome and unexpected heroines, by Rake's side, readers are ...more
    Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: netgalley, reviewed
    This book was received via Netgalley for an honest review

It has been a while since I have read a book by Davidson but this one reminded me why I find them so entertaining! Her characters are.. well, characters!! This seems to run at the same time as the other book in the series (which I have not read but think I need to now), and tell the tale of each of the Tarbell twins (who have what can only be called an interesting relationship)

I enjoyed this tale with the twists and turns and random
    Susan Cordeiro
    Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
    I really like this author and have read and enjoyed her other series. I really wanted to like this book, after all it has a great author, romance, and sarcastic humor. It fell flat for me. I was never able to find the characters interesting enough to enjoy the story. I will read this author again, I love most of her work, but I will skip any other books in this series.
    Thank you NetGalley for this book.
    Lisa Konet
    I really wanted to like this but it just wasn’t good. Yes, the premise was good Yes, the level of sarcasm was the one saving grace for this book; but the main characters were under developed and the plot didn’t come together. I feel bad because this sounded so promising but it was a flop.

Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and author for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
    Dee Kendall
    Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Super cute! I love a love story that has more than just boy meets girl, etc. This book definitely delivers! I need to read the others in the series ASAP!

Thank to the author and netgalley for the ARC
    Jen Chair
    This was the first book I’ve read of this author’s and unfortunately it just wasn’t my style of writing. Although the premise sounded really interesting, the book is too cheesy and over the top. This was DNF for me.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for an advanced copy of this book.
    Emily Murray
    Jan 02, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Thanks to St. Martin's Press & NetGalley for the e-Arc!
    Viviana Varona
    Jan 17, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
    I received an ARC from NetGalley today for this book.
    Cass
    Jan 18, 2020 rated it did not like it
    This was so confusing that I could barely keep up. Couldn’t get into it, didn’t feel the romance or characters and the writing was not for me.
    Kate
    rated it it was ok
    Jan 10, 2020
    Lisa
    rated it it was ok
    Jan 15, 2020
    JustYourFriendlyReader
    This book was very much not what I expected, and I had difficulties keeping track of things. It seemed to do a lot of skipping forth and back. I also didn't really like any of the main characters very much. Shame, because this was a book I'd believed I'd really enjoy.
    Lyn Mckenzie
    Brooke Gunderman-Harris
    Kelly
    Nov 09, 2019

• The Dilemma
    • Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels, #1)
    • The House in the Cerulean Sea
    • Seraphina (Seraphina, #1)
    • Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)
    • Rubinrot (Edelstein-Trilogie, #1)
    • Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1)
    • The Cadet of Tildor
    • The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)
    • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
    • Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1)
    • Seven Daughters and Seven Sons
    • The Fall of Crazy House (Crazy House, #2)
    • The Mitford Scandal (Mitford Murders #3)
    • Nameless Queen
    • The Rise of Monsters (Angelus, #1)
    • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
    • Take Me for Granted (Take Me, #1)
    MaryJanice Davidson is an American author and motivational speaker who writes mostly paranormal romance, but also young adult and non-fiction. She is the creator of the popular Undead series and is a New York Times and USA Today best-selling author. She writes a bi-weekly column for USA Today ("A Writer's Life") and lives in St. Paul with her family. You can reach her on Facebook and follow her on ...more