Start by marking “Remembrance” as Want to Read:
Remembrance

Remembrance

Remembrance by Rita Woods is a breakout historical debut with modern resonance, perfect for the many fans of The Underground Railroad and Orphan Train.

Ohio, pres
Published January 21st 2020 by Forge

To ask other readers questions about Remembrance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remembrance

Start your review of Remembrance
Renee (The B-Roll)
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all, a huge thanks to Bookish First for an ARC of this book; I actually used the points I had saved up to request this book versus winning it.  As soon as I saw the cover I was intrigued and then once I read the synopsis I was hooked.  This book is one of many new books for this year and the very very end of last year that discusses the African and African-American experience specifically thought the Atlantic Slave Trade and slavery in the French-speaking countries and colonies of the C ...more
sarah
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
"Remembrance…It’s a rumor, a whisper passed in the fields and veiled behind sheets of laundry. A hidden stop on the underground road to freedom, a safe haven protected by more than secrecy…if you can make it there. "

Remembrance is a book that transcends genres. Set in both historical periods and modern day, lightly weaving in a magical /sci fi/ fantastical element.

With majority all black cast, this book focuses on the realities of African-American people throughout the years. Contrasting storyl
Erin
Giveaway win!

I don't really know what I expected going into this book but I know I expected something more.

Remembrance is about "3"(its really 4) women over different centuries. And their stories are suppose to tie together at the end but I don't think it did. I enjoy the stories of the women that took place in the past(Margot was my favorite character) but the story that takes place in the current day(Gaelle) was in my opinion unnecessary. I kind of got annoyed when I came across a Gaelle chap
Chelsey (a_novel_idea11)
⭐️⭐️⭐️

Historical fiction meets fantasy in this debut novel. Told by four women across over 200 years, the story focuses on the trials and tribulations of three women possessing a power and strength of which they are all not aware.

Gaelle, an aide at a senior center in the present day, struggles to make ends meet. After her homeland suffered a devastating earthquake, she moved to the United States in an attempt to start fresh and make a life for herself. She develops a unique and somewhat frighte
Nursebookie
Remembrance is an amazing debut novel that is told in multiple timelines and narratives that has a magical and fantastical twist. I enjoyed reading about this amazing story of three strong women that is weaved seamlessly.

Rita Woods’ writing was complex with multiple plot lines and her writing was meaningful and deep. Her creativity and gripping story really caught my attention and interest.

Addressed in the story were themes such as slavery, colonialism and racism. Though laws have been passed
Maria
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This will probably be one of my favourite books of the year! Rita Woods singlehandedly made me a fan of magical realism. I really enjoyed this book. Such a great choice for the February Adult Once Upon a Book Club box! The characters are beautiful, and just the writing itself - ugh, had me crying and laughing at some points. A must-read for sure!
Anna
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fluctuating between the present, 1791 and 1857, the novel tells the stories of Gaelle, Abigail and Margot.
An aide at a nursing home, Gaelle wonders what is the history of the Jane Doe patient, whose silence and fierce stare are disconcerting. Abigail, a slave in Hati, married with two young boys, fears what havoc the revolution and uprising of escaped slaves will cause her family. As it closes in on their plantation her Master forces her to flee with them to New Orleans, leaving her children be
Sharon S
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jan2020pub
Brilliant, intense, intriguing, mystical.

Remembrance is powerful, stunning, memorable, one of my favorites this year. It's historical, fantasy, magical, with a bit of paranormal. It touched my soul, took my mind into new heights of imagination, feelings untouched opened, a wound resurfaced, then healed.

The main characters each have a chapter dedicated to them, Gaelle, Winter, Margot, Abigail, their family history interwoven into the backdrop of different historical time frames. This novel is f
James Martin
Dec 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Remembrance” is an engrossing historical fiction novel with added features of fantasy, mysticism, and suspense that infuse it with interest and life. It’s a time-slip novel with several different stories in different time frames occurring side-by-side and yet often intersecting despite the passing of centuries. It possesses intricate world-building that carries the reader along a sometimes daunting storyline. Strong women highlight a vivid narrative that brings to light in powerful ways its end ...more
Read In Colour
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I stayed up until the wee hours of the night consuming Remembrance. From the story lines to the characters to the breathtaking escapes, I was intrigued from start to finish.

At times it felt like I was in an Octavia Butler or Tananarive Due novel, at other times it felt like Toni Morrison's Beloved. It was certainly a wild ride, but one worth hanging around for.

I find myself reviewing the story lines of the three main protagonists over and over and trying to make all of the connections. I apprec
Lulu
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Great premise, poor execution. Started off good, but fell flat during the middle and by the end I was done. This just didn’t hold my attention and I found myself struggling to finish it. I have so many questions that went unanswered which could be why I feel the ending was random and abrupt. Ehh. I don’t know. What was the point of this story?
Roxanne
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
I don’t think I realized this story had magical realism before I started reading it so that was a delightful surprise. Well done to the author because it’s an excellent debut novel. I’m a huge fan of sagas that span generations, especially those that depict strong women as the central characters. The book is told in multiple timelines in the 18th, 19th and current centuries. The weakest of the three timelines story-wise is the current which I don’t even think was necessary. I also thought the en ...more
Faith
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio, dnf, overdrive
I don’t like magical realism, and the quality of the writing did not make up for my aversion to the genre.
♥ Sandi ❣
4 stars Thank you to Forge and BookBrowse for the chance to read this book. Published January 21, 2020.

A book of mysticism - not witches - but mystics, each with their own power. Their own past and an eye to their own future.

This book follows three women, from Mother Abigail who builds Remembrance and maintains it's Edge, to Margot 60 years later, to Winter an elderly woman in a nursing home. From the 1700's to the current day. Haiti to New Orleans to Ohio. A stop on the Underground Railroad,
Dawnny
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
A gripping historical novel. This is deeply haunting as it takes you through the lives of several women. Flipping between the past and present. A gripping and heartbreaking novel that stays with you long after. I hope they make a movie.
Bruin Mccon
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“‘Girl like you...they’ll have you bedded down with the master in no time. And when he gets tired of you, they’ll mate you like a hog to some old field hand...’”

Remembrance is a historical fiction novel set in three centuries—the 1700s, 1800s and present day.

The premise of this novel is that through magical powers, a slave has created a safe harbor on the Underground Railroad where whites, or blancs, cannot enter.

This book came at a time in my reading life when I was also reading Ain’t I a Woman
Keyona
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Imagine a place during slavery that was safe for Black people. A community where Black people could farm, hunt, grow their families, and not have to constantly look over their shoulders for fear of being hunted. This is a place that no white person can find even if they are standing in the right spot. Imagine how frustrated they were 🤣 This place is called Remembrance and it’s been created by Mother Abigail.

We follow four women throughout the book from Saint Domingue (Haiti) in the 1700’s to Lou
Mai Nguyễn
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Whenever I come across good books, I wish that the world would stop spinning its demands towards me so that I can just sit down and enjoy the stories. Rita Woods' REMEMBRANCE is one of those books. Slavery is such a complicated subject to handle and the author did such a stunning job in this epic account across time, places, and generations. I love the novel's vivid settings and the characters who sound so real, I can hear them speak even when I have finished the book. I can't even imagine the a ...more
KarenK
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-netgalley
I received this from Netgalley.com for a review.

"Remembrance…It’s a rumor, a whisper passed in the fields and veiled behind sheets of laundry. A hidden stop on the underground road to freedom, a safe haven protected by more than secrecy…if you can make it there."

Several different timelines make the story difficult to follow at times. I think the emphasis of a fantasy/magical story that just happens to be set in a historical time period just didn't blend well for me.

2TReads
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
"So we do what we always done, old girl. We wait and see and then we fight back. Just like we always done."- Josiah
⏳⏳⏳⏳⏳
Woods slowly and with simple yet vivid descriptors, builds her story of family, slavery, loss, generation and magic. Carefully each woman's life is crafted on the page and the reader is drawn in with the promise of intrigue, danger and triumph.
⌛⌛⌛⌛⌛
It was an intricate thread that weaved through time, connecting these four gifted women; who had each been touched by the cruelty o
Judi Ross
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received an ARC from the publisher for an honest review. I was expecting to read an historical novel but instead found that Remembrance was more a mystical adventure story about slavery and the Underground Railroad. What I liked was the location which was a very new approach for me. I found myself in Haiti and for a short time in New Orleans during the time of slavery. The author beautifully described the setting in each location, bringing the sights, smells and sounds to life. But unfortunate ...more
Deanne Patterson
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Deanne by: cnnamongirl@aol.com
Gripping historical novel.
This one will keep you attention as your read through it.
The book takes you through the lives of several women spanning past and present it flips back and forth between the times.
This one will mesmerize you and stay with you for awhile after you read it.

Published January 21st 2020 by Forge
I was given a complimentary copy . Thank you.
All opinions expressed are my own.

Susan McGrath
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an Advance Reading Copy of Remembrance by Rita Woods from the publisher (Forge) in exchange for an honest review. Remembrance is scheduled for release on January 21, 2020.

Remembrance is a historical fiction/ magical realism novel that takes place in two different time periods. The story follows two women in the pre-civil war era and one woman in the current day. Their stories intertwine in the novel, exploring the boundaries of physical space and stretching the limits of time.

The bulk
Katina Black
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Thought this book would be Dark But it really wasn’t. It has a good storyline or should I say storylines that all lead together. Maybe there will be a part two so I can learn more about Gaelle and her journey.
BrittsBookClub
I went into this novel with the expectation of a classic historical fiction story. Instead, what I got was a historical fiction novel with some fantasy thrown into it. And you know what, I actually didn’t mind. I enjoyed the book and the storyline of the three (sometimes four) characters. I loved how the lives of the women became tied together in such a unique way. The book contained strong, female characters that had to overcome quite a bit in their lives. It was fun to follow their growth thro ...more
Lekeisha The Booknerd
Remembrance has a plot that, if well crafted, could be one of the greatest historical fantasies ever written. That said, it fell short for me. It took me nearly a month to read; simply because every time I came to a "present" chapter (Gaelle's POV), I would just get bored and put it down.

To understand the past, the author gives you Gaelle and Winter in this tug-of-war of what in the world is happening. I felt confused at times because the story unfolded backwards and then forward again.

I loved
Chandra Cox
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.**

Have you ever read one of those books that really gets into your soul, deep down, and stays with you always? Rememberance is one of those books. The harrowing story starts off with a bang and goes right into the storyline. Rememberance had that feel good thing to it and I found myself hugging the book after reading a really emotional chapter. It had easily become one of my all-time favorite books, and that says a lot (as I am an
Melanie
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance reading copy of this book through Bookbrowse.com and was captivated and totally absorbed by the well written narratives binding together the main characters Mother Abigail, Winter, Margot, and Gaelle. I was impressed by the novel’s powerful message of ancestral memories holding us together, creating and sustaining our sense of safety, comfort and community. The characters were so interesting, I would definitely read a “Remembrance: Book Two” should the author choose to cont ...more
Jantine
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you read a book, and you get so immersed in the story it's hard to say anything about what made it good technically. That is what I experienced with this book.

Off course, a huge part of it is build up, again, by the characters, who are not always nice, but always, always real. They are strong, but they fear. They love, they hate as well. They want to not just survive, they want to live.

This book made a big impression on me, one that will last for quite some time.

I received a free copy
Darlene Franklin
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Won this book through goodreads giveaway which in no way influenced this review. Beginning in 1791, the story unfolds of the family in Haiti and travels to New Orleans and Ohio. The reader is enlightened through conversation and description of the lives of slaves and their society contributions. The dangers and treatment of slaves by slave catchers and owners is powerfully written and heart felt. I recommend the book to readers interested in slave history and the Underground Railroad.
Book Dragons: March: Remembrance, by Rita Woods--What did you think? 1 5 Mar 21, 2020 06:29AM
AMERICAN HISTORIC...: Interview with Rita Woods 1 15 Mar 08, 2020 07:25AM
Bookish First Rea...: Remembrance by Rita Woods 5 8 Oct 28, 2019 06:37PM

• Wildland
  • Nine Bar Blues
  • The Last Letter from Juliet
  • Pale
  • In the Shadow of the Sun (In the Shadow of the Sun, #1)
  • The Herd
  • The Edge of Anything
  • Harley in the Sky
  • 15 Minutes of Flame (Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery #3)
  • The Secret Women
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • The Dearly Beloved
  • The 12 Days of Book-Club-Mas
  • Yellow Wife
  • The Lost Love Song
  • The Grace Year
  • Rebel Spy
  • The Wives

Articles featuring this book

Halfway through the year, 2020 has gifted readers with some amazing novels from Black writers. We rounded up this list of new fiction...