Start by marking “Remembrance” as Want to Read:
Remembrance

Remembrance

Remembrance by Rita Woods is a breakout historical debut with modern resonance, perfect for the many fans of The Underground Railroad and Orphan Train.

Ohio,
Published January 21st 2020 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Remembrance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remembrance

Start your review of Remembrance
Renee (The B-Roll)
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all, a huge thanks to Bookish First for an ARC of this book; I actually used the points I had saved up to request this book versus winning it. As soon as I saw the cover I was intrigued and then once I read the synopsis I was hooked. This book is one of many new books for this year and the very very end of last year that discusses the African and African-American experience specifically thought the Atlantic Slave Trade and slavery in the French-speaking countries and colonies of the ...more
sarah xoxo
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, read-2019
"Remembrance…It’s a rumor, a whisper passed in the fields and veiled behind sheets of laundry. A hidden stop on the underground road to freedom, a safe haven protected by more than secrecy…if you can make it there. "

Remembrance is a book that transcends genres. Set in both historical periods and modern day, lightly weaving in a magical /sci fi/ fantastical element.

With majority all black cast, this book focuses on the realities of African-American people throughout the years. Contrasting
Erin
Giveaway win!

I don't really know what I expected going into this book but I know I expected something more.

Remembrance is about "3"(its really 4) women over different centuries. And their stories are suppose to tie together at the end but I don't think it did. I enjoy the stories of the women that took place in the past(Margot was my favorite character) but the story that takes place in the current day(Gaelle) was in my opinion unnecessary. I kind of got annoyed when I came across a Gaelle
Chelsey
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arcs

Historical fiction meets fantasy in this debut novel. Told by four women across over 200 years, the story focuses on the trials and tribulations of three women possessing a power and strength of which they are all not aware.

Gaelle, an aide at a senior center in the present day, struggles to make ends meet. After her homeland suffered a devastating earthquake, she moved to the United States in an attempt to start fresh and make a life for herself. She develops a unique and somewhat frightening
Sharon S
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jan2020pub
Brilliant, intense, intriguing, mystical.

Remembrance is powerful, stunning, memorable, one of my favorites this year. It's historical, fantasy, magical, with a bit of paranormal. It touched my soul, took my mind into new heights of imagination, feelings untouched opened, a wound resurfaced, then healed.

The main characters each have a chapter dedicated to them, Gaelle, Winter, Margot, Abigail, their family history interwoven into the backdrop of different historical time frames. This novel is
Nursebookie
Remembrance is an amazing debut novel that is told in multiple timelines and narratives that has a magical and fantastical twist. I enjoyed reading about this amazing story of three strong women that is weaved seamlessly.

Rita Woods’ writing was complex with multiple plot lines and her writing was meaningful and deep. Her creativity and gripping story really caught my attention and interest.

Addressed in the story were themes such as slavery, colonialism and racism. Though laws have been passed
Read In Colour
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I stayed up until the wee hours of the night consuming Remembrance. From the story lines to the characters to the breathtaking escapes, I was intrigued from start to finish.

At times it felt like I was in an Octavia Butler or Tananarive Due novel, at other times it felt like Toni Morrison's Beloved. It was certainly a wild ride, but one worth hanging around for.

I find myself reviewing the story lines of the three main protagonists over and over and trying to make all of the connections. I
Karen Kay
I received this from Netgalley.com for a review.

"Remembrance…It’s a rumor, a whisper passed in the fields and veiled behind sheets of laundry. A hidden stop on the underground road to freedom, a safe haven protected by more than secrecy…if you can make it there."

Several different timelines make the story difficult to follow at times. I think the emphasis of a fantasy/magical story that just happens to be set in a historical time period just didn't blend well for me.

Mel (Epic Reading)
Nov 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc-netgalley
eARC received! Read and review to come closer to publication date.
I was surprised to see TOR-Forge (Macmillan) as the publisher on this one as it doesn’t sound like magical realism or fantasy. Still sounds wonderful!
BookGypsy
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
A gripping historical novel. This is deeply haunting as it takes you through the lives of several women. Flipping between the past and present. A gripping and heartbreaking novel that stays with you long after. I hope they make a movie.
Lekeisha The Booknerd
Remembrance has a plot that, if well crafted, could be one of the greatest historical fantasies ever written. That said, it fell short for me. It took me nearly a month to read; simply because every time I came to a "present" chapter (Gaelle's POV), I would just get bored and put it down.

To understand the past, the author gives you Gaelle and Winter in this tug-of-war of what in the world is happening. I felt confused at times because the story unfolded backwards and then forward again.

I loved
Judi Ross
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received an ARC from the publisher for an honest review. I was expecting to read an historical novel but instead found that Remembrance was more a mystical adventure story about slavery and the Underground Railroad. What I liked was the location which was a very new approach for me. I found myself in Haiti and for a short time in New Orleans during the time of slavery. The author beautifully described the setting in each location, bringing the sights, smells and sounds to life. But ...more
Susan McGrath
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an Advance Reading Copy of Remembrance by Rita Woods from the publisher (Forge) in exchange for an honest review. Remembrance is scheduled for release on January 21, 2020.

Remembrance is a historical fiction/ magical realism novel that takes place in two different time periods. The story follows two women in the pre-civil war era and one woman in the current day. Their stories intertwine in the novel, exploring the boundaries of physical space and stretching the limits of time.

The bulk
Chandra Cox
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.**

Have you ever read one of those books that really gets into your soul, deep down, and stays with you always? Rememberance is one of those books. The harrowing story starts off with a bang and goes right into the storyline. Rememberance had that feel good thing to it and I found myself hugging the book after reading a really emotional chapter. It had easily become one of my all-time favorite books, and that says a lot (as I am an
Darlene Franklin
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Won this book through goodreads giveaway which in no way influenced this review. Beginning in 1791, the story unfolds of the family in Haiti and travels to New Orleans and Ohio. The reader is enlightened through conversation and description of the lives of slaves and their society contributions. The dangers and treatment of slaves by slave catchers and owners is powerfully written and heart felt. I recommend the book to readers interested in slave history and the Underground Railroad.
Fredrick Danysh
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: advance-read
A gripping tale regarding the treatment of Black Americans over a two century period by following the lives of three women in different time periods. The women are all connected by voodoo. This was a frree advance review copy obtained through Goodreads.com.
Jantine
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you read a book, and you get so immersed in the story it's hard to say anything about what made it good technically. That is what I experienced with this book.

Off course, a huge part of it is build up, again, by the characters, who are not always nice, but always, always real. They are strong, but they fear. They love, they hate as well. They want to not just survive, they want to live.

This book made a big impression on me, one that will last for quite some time.

I received a free copy
Sue
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting well written book that was a combination of historical fiction and magical realism. I will admit that I don't like magic of any kind in my books so this book was a real let down for me and I had to push through parts of it. Overall, the historical aspects of the story make it a very interesting book.

Remembrance takes place in 4 time periods:

Abigail in the late 1700’s Haiti
Margot in early 1800’s New Orleans
Winter in the 1800’s at Remembrance
Gaelle in current time
Ahaaha4
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I have very mixed feelings after finishing Remembrance by Rita Woods. I was drawn in by the cover and description. From the first page I could not stop reading until suddenly the story took a turn to fantasy and magic. Though I have enjoyed when authors put some mysticism into their writing Remembrance has too much of it for me, If the fantasy was left left out I would have thoroughly enjoyed it. The story revolves around three different time periods and four different women. Present day, where ...more
John Williamson
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the book and found it well written. The author has that unique gift of describing the location and events where the reader can visually imagine themselves part of the story. While I greatly enjoyed the book, I found the description of the book a little misleading – I was expecting a historical fiction story. I did appreciated learning more about life in Haiti and New Orleans in the 1700s during the time of slavery.
Amber
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The story was well written and kept me engaged. The descriptions of location and characters were beautiful. I also appreciated learning more about the experiences of slaves, including the history going back to Haiti in 1700s.
There were some details of each character that I found a little hard to follow at the beginning. I found myself going back to previous chapters to re-read the details.
Overall, I think this is a wonderful book and recommend it others!
Melanie
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance reading copy of this book through Bookbrowse.com and was captivated and totally absorbed by the well written narratives binding together the main characters Mother Abigail, Winter, Margot, and Gaelle. I was impressed by the novel’s powerful message of ancestral memories holding us together, creating and sustaining our sense of safety, comfort and community. The characters were so interesting, I would definitely read a “Remembrance: Book Two” should the author choose to ...more
Jennifer Wilson
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok.. so this book is a little different from what I normally read.
This story is about several different black women. Gaelle, Margot, Abigail, and Winter. It takes you through different periods in time, starting with Gaelle, a woman from present day Haiti that is now living in Cleveland, Ohio. Margot a slave girl in 1857, who in the beginning lives with her Grandmother and sister in Louisiana. Abigail, also a slave, who is forces to leave her home and children of Haiti, with her mistress to
Brianna  Miller
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Remembrance was an interesting book. I read an excerpt of it before receiving the actual book, and what I expected was quite different from what the book turned out to be. The book focuses on the stories of 4 different women (despite the synopsis saying 3 women), and as you can imagine, I anticipated that eventually all of these stories would intertwine. Three of the stories are based in a pre-civil war era, while the 4th story is based in present day. While the 3 older stories did intertwine, ...more
Sally
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally, I wanted to read Remembrance due to the fact that is a combination of historical fiction and magical realism. I thought that this combination had to create a wonderful story. Remembrance delivered so much more than I imagined.

The novel follows four women throughout the course of history with storylines that eventually connect together. I will never lie – I was not sure I could see how the four storylines would connect. Yet, as the story progressed, I found the connections just making
Bruin Mccon
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookish-first
“‘Girl like you...they’ll have you bedded down with the master in no time. And when he gets tired of you, they’ll mate you like a hog to some old field hand...’”

Remembrance is a historical fiction novel set in three centuries—the 1700s, 1800s and present day.

The premise of this novel is that through magical powers, a slave has created a safe harbor on the Underground Railroad where whites, or blancs, cannot enter.

This book came at a time in my reading life when I was also reading Ain’t I a
Sydney Boston
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Remembrance is a skillfully written historical novel with strong elements of magical realism. It tells a compelling story that addresses how people who are faced with adversity draw strength both as individuals and as a community in dealing with heart-wrenching challenges.

This is a book worth devouring and savoring! I struggled between devouring the novel by sitting for long periods of time reading and sinking into Woods’ story and savoring by reading snippets of the story and letting it sit and
L.A.L.
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magical, fiction, history
At first, the title didn't make sense to me (based on the synposis that was provided on BookishFirst), but I found the synopsis intriguing. When I started on the opening chapters, I was immediately sucked into this story. Primarily historical fiction, this book has a bit of magical realism, which is not normally associated with historical fiction. But the magical realism aspect fit beautifully with the peoples and the timeframes described. In particular, New Orleans has long had an association ...more
Lizzie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
So here is the deal. I read an excerpt from this novel that was quite lengthy. I really enjoyed the beginning that I read. Then I get the full book as an ARC. I had such a hard time, almost slogging through the middle. Well as I get into the last third of the book, I was flipping pages so fast they were blurring because I could not put it down. This was hard to rate for me, and I went with 3.5 stars.

I usually enjoy historical fiction, perhaps not as far back as this one goes but I was very
Christina
This is how a fantasy, historical slave fiction novel should be written. Beautiful, intense, mystical, and wrapped in magical realism.

Remembrance is a historical fiction/magical realism novel that takes place during two different time periods. The story follows three women in the pre-civil war era and one woman in the current day. Their stories intertwine in the novel, exploring the boundaries of physical space and stretching the limits of time, all while exploring the magic of vodun and other
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bookish First Rea...: Remembrance by Rita Woods 5 6 Oct 28, 2019 06:37PM

• Sparrow
  • Echoes Between Us
  • Shark's Edge (Shark's Edge #1)
  • Song of the Crimson Flower
  • You’re Not Listening: What You’re Missing and Why It Matters
  • The Animals at Lockwood Manor
  • The German House
  • Father of Lions: One Man's Remarkable Quest to Save the Mosul Zoo
  • Saint X
  • The God Game
  • The Janes (Alice Vega #2)
  • Behind Every Lie
  • The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • You Are Not Alone
  • She's Out (Dolly Rawlins, #3)
  • The Last Confession of Autumn Casterly