Start by marking “Heart of Black Ice (Sister of Darkness: The Nicci Chronicles #4)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Black Ice (Sister of Darkness: The Nicci Chronicles #4)

Heart of Black Ice

(Sister of Darkness: The Nicci Chronicles #4)

Heart of Black Ice is the climactic conclusion to Terry Goodkind's New York Times bestselling Nicci Chronicles.

In the wake of the brutal war that swept the Old World in Siege of Stone, a new danger is forming along the coast. Taken captive by their enemies, King Grieve, along with Lila and Bannon are about to discover the terrifying force that threatens to bring
Published January 21st 2020 by Tor Books (first published 2019)

Start your review of Heart of Black Ice (Sister of Darkness: The Nicci Chronicles #4)
Bob
It’s hard to believe it was only 3 years (and 4 books) ago that we were introduced to the witch woman’s prophecy that saw Nicci and Nathan embark on their epic journey across the Old World.

‘Future and Fate depend on both the journey and the destination. Kol Adair lies far to the south in the Old World. From there, the Wizard will behold what he needs to make himself whole again. And the Sorceress must save the world.’

We already saw Nathan’s part of the prophecy realized last year in Siege of
_
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Engaging from the first page! Terry Goodkind is a powerhouse in the fantasy genre. When I read the Wizard’s First Rule, I had no idea just how prolific this world and it’s characters would become. The story of Kahlan Amnell and Richard Cypher has grown into one of the most beloved stories within this world. However, even the most morally questionable characters within this world are appreciated, without conflict, there’ would be no heroes. Nicci provides some of the most intense and blushing ...more
Jeff Lucas
The good news is, it's as least as good as the last book in the series. The bad news is that us a really really low bar.

My biggest issue is given the known magic system, almost every situation has a very obvious solution that no one ever seems to remember. The entire struggle could have ended several times with simple spells used countless times in other books in the series.

I have a hard time getting past the "oh come onnnnnn" feeling while reading it.
Michael Otto
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book says it is the conclusion of The Nicci Chronicles being Volume IV. In it we find Nicci, Nathan, & Bannon separated as the result of the previous book. There is also Prelate Verna with all the gifted scholars and sisters of the Light at Cliffwall.The city of Ildakar has vanished. Through their individual pluck, courage, determination, obstacles they overcome, and circumstances these people manage to reunite and come together a party and fellowship again. Good thing too because they ...more
Andrew R
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best

Another thrilling book action packed brutal in places heart racing and emotionally draining this book puts you through the wringer along with the characters FANTASTIC please please please let the good spirits bring more
Elena Moore
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodkind
I can honestly say that Terry did an outstanding job of bringing us into the Old World. Much older than the New World, the land, people, magic, motivations, and history are mind boggling. There seems to be no limit to his imagination. And the pace, plot, detail? Better than I had hoped!
Last night, I sat alone, no distractions, and devoured the final chapters of Heart of Black Ice. I was there... I knew the characters... I actually EXPERIENCED every scene, every hope, every success, and cheered
Haenri
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Without any doubt, the weakest of the series so far.
At times, down right boring. Which is a first for me with T. GOODKIND work.
I feel like it was a deep error to manage so many narration threads at a time.
Plus, so far, the tandem Nicci/Nathan was the charm of this spinoff.
Making them spend so much time appart, diminishing Nicci’s presence, multiplying action of tertiary characters didn’t pay off at all.
And at last, the villains, the umpteenth villains of the saga are weak sauce. The previous
Steven Wendell
Amazing book. I could hardly put my Kindle down

I've said it for years and years, I absolutely love Goodkind's books. So much depth and layering of people and places, interconnected events epic and small. The characters are brilliant and distinctive and very easy to get attached to. Losing one can be literally emotional. This 3 part tale was awesome and epic. Nathan Rahl's 2nd life book will be one for the historians of this world for sure. My heart started racing the last few pages when I
David Fontana
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Terry Goodkind at his finest. Building upon the stories from previous books, he brings them all together in logical and fitting ways. Even though I could see much of what he was building to in the climax of the story, I wasn’t any less engaged along the way. The character of Nicci really has come a long way, and it was a fun journey to follow along with her as opposed to yet another forced “legend of the ages” story about Richard and Kahlan.

Also, the action here is really well written,
Jennifer Hart
He did it again! Bravo!!

Once again, you see I am a fan of Terry Goodkind, I've read every installment of his Sword of Truth series with Richard and Kahlan (that's the whole collection on my bookshelves), once again he has allowed me to accompany his magical heroes as they battle real world villians. Again I watched as impossible situations were discussed, strategies were planned and plots were carried out. This book is of Nicci and Nathan and will be added in their own space, a companion series
Edward Silverman
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Of the books in this Richardless series, I liked this one the best. It wraps up a clear first part of whatever the Nicci chronicles end up being, and does it in a way that is both action packed and thoughtful. The antagonists were suitably tough and though they ended up defeated a bit more easily than one may have thought I felt very invested in Bannon, Nathan and Nicci all the way through. Obvious must read for Goodkind and Nicci fans. There is a hint of a new big bad for the future. Let’s see!
David
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those who may be worried, this is not the end of the Nicci chronicles. She and Nathan will have another war to fight as soon as Terry writes the next book.
This saga ends in a satisfactory way. I hope that the characters that headed off on a different road will find their way back to Nicci and Nathan as their next mission evolves.
Terry teases us with the word that Richard and Kahlan have some kind of crisis to deal with at home. Maybe he will return to them for a couple of books before he
Victoria
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the very best battles Terry Goodkind has written. Stands up against Jajang, Darken Rahl, and Sulachan. We lose an important character that had been there since the first Sword of Truth. Nicci battles something called the zhiss which I'm kind of upset about because we never find out where they came from or what exactly they were. A new Imperial order comes up at the very end and I am hoping that Terry Goodkind will one day continue the series.

All in all, a beautiful "end?" to the Nicci
Marcia
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another action packed, page turning adventure from Terry Goodkind. Nicci, Nathan and Brannon get separated, but fight their way back to save the world. Some friends are lost and Richard is having problems of his own in D'Hara. This was supposed to be the last book in the series, but it ends with another threat to the Old World with the rise of a New Imperial Order by an Emperor Argus, so no rest for the weary.
Jeffrey L
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story that continues

A very good read with all the wonderful story description that drew me in to the sword of truth series. Though I have felt the author followed a formula to his writing in the past, and it is a good formula, this book is more open, free flowing and is not repetitive within itself as some books in the series struck me as. This is one of the better books in the series.
Cassie
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Terry Goodkind provides just the right amount of details, yet a good long read to sink one's teeth into.
This was a great read, it sweeps you along. The only thing that was a little irksome was the many different perspectives that this jumped around in, but the story swept along so fast this was not as noticeable as with most books.
Definitely a book I would recommend
Asim Qureshy
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, Brilliant. Terry has no match. Book is still sort of open ended and would definitely want more books following this series and if facing the new Imperial Order involves Richard, that will be just amazing. Hoping there will be more and without much wait.
Cynthia Galeano
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeah for Terry Goodkind!

Enjoyable characters and fast moving plot. I was pulled into this mythical world, and once there, it was hard to leave. I look forward to the next story of Nicci and Nathan. Recommend to fantasy readers, especially to fans of Goodkind.
Andy
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sad to see that series end, even though some of the writing was getting rather repetitive. Be interesting to see if he picks it up from another POV.
David Staniforth
Classic Goodkind. Best of this spin-off series.
William Meligan
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book

I liked that the story is just great writing by a great writer, the continuation of a really remarkable story.
I'm sad it's over
Signature
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

Can't wait until the next one. Nicci is amazing and so are the rest of the cast. Terry did a great job on this series. Keep them coming.
Rosalee Bond
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoy reading Nicci

Was a nice tie up of all the events going on in the previous books looking forward to the next adventure
Ron
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Conclusion? I want more of Nicci. I’ve read every book from Terry Goodkind in this wizard series. I love these characters and want more.
Mahadev
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The silliest one yet.
Mrs S E White
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good story worth the read. I only gave four stars, because the story borrowed from his other books. Does not detract from it though, just no new ideas
Jessie West
I'm only still reading the series because I've read so much of it at this point. It's exactly what I've come to expect from Terry Goodkind.
Angie
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series and am annoyed the publisher canceled future books as the ending leaves it way open for more books
Teresa Lopez
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As this adventure ends, another begins as he does a nice job finishing the war between our heroes and Utoros and Grieve. I look forward to the next installment.
Irene Wight
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it!

Terry Goodkind hasn’t disappointed me. He has such a good imagination and I look forward to his all of his stories.

• Song of the Risen God
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • The Shadow of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy, #1)
  • An Echo of Things to Come (The Licanius Trilogy, #2)
  • The Agony and the Ecstasy
  • M.C. Escher: The Graphic Work
  • The Killing Fog (The Grave Kingdom, #1)
  • Entanglement (Entanglement, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Salvation (Salvation Sequence #1)
  • Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis, #1)
  • Falling Up
  • The Slow Regard of Silent Things (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2.5)
  • A Dream of Spring (A Song of Ice and Fire, #7)
  • Hijos del Kraken
  • Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1)
  • The Winds of Winter (A Song of Ice and Fire, #6)
  • Duskfall (Chaos Queen #1)
Terry Goodkind is a contemporary American writer and author of the best-selling epic fantasy series, The Sword of Truth, creator of the television show The Legend of the Seeker, and writer of the self-published epic, The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (a prequel and origin story of the first Mother Confessor). He has over 20 million copies in print and has been translated into more ...more

Sister of Darkness: The Nicci Chronicles (4 books)
  • Death's Mistress (Sister of Darkness: The Nicci Chronicles, #1)
  • Shroud of Eternity (Sister of Darkness: The Nicci Chronicles, #2)
  • Siege of Stone (Sister of Darkness: The Nicci Chronicles, #3)