Start by marking “The Queen of Raiders (The Nine Realms, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Queen of Raiders (The Nine Realms, #2)

The Queen of Raiders

(The Nine Realms #2)

Sarah Kozloff, author of A Queen in Hiding, continues the breathtaking and cinematic epic fantasy series The Nine Realms with book two, The Queen of Raiders, and all four books will be published within a month of each other, so you can binge your favorite new fantasy series.

The soliders of Oromondo have invaded the Free States, leaving a wake of misery and death. Thalen, a
Published February 18th 2020 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Queen of Raiders, please sign up.

Start your review of The Queen of Raiders (The Nine Realms, #2)
Toni
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss2020
The Queen of Raiders is a continuation of A Queen in Hiding, the first book in the Nine Realms series. The expectations have been raised very high, and Sarah Kozloff doesn't disappoint, delivering another well-written and memorable epic fantasy book.
The book focuses on the resistance to the Oromodo occupation of the Free states as well as giving us more insight into the events in Weirdale, which is still under the rule of power mad Lord Regent Matwyck.
Thalen and his devoted followers adopt the s
Olive Fellows (abookolive)
Jul 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sff
Check out my review of The Nine Realms series on Booktube! ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/03/03/...

Not wasting a beat, The Queen of Raiders by Sarah Kozloff plunges back into the war-ravaged world of The Nine Realms, picking up where A Queen in Hiding left off. This review assumes you’ve read the first book and may contain discussions about the previous volume’s events, so proceed with caution!

With Queen Cressa of Weirandale dead, the crown now belongs to her daughter Cérulia—except the young princess is still in exile,
Beth
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kozloff immediately immerses the reader in the magical war-torn world of The Nine Realms.

Queen Cressa is missing, presumed dead and Cerulia, her daughter, is in hiding. In The Queen of Raiders, Cerulia is now an adult and leaving her adoptive family to avenge Queen Cressa. While on her trek she adopts a bird name each place and transitions her travels make her take. She uses her ability to communicate with the animals to help her plight.

Thelan and his gang of rebels are trying to help the people
Traveling Cloak
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Nine Realms epic continues in Book 2 of the Series, The Queen of Raiders, as the Oromondo continue to occupy the Free States. Cerulia persists in her search for a path back to Weriandale (and its throne) after fleeing her enemies and landing on the island of Slagos. The would-be Queen must learn how to master her Talent as she learns more about herself and her ability to lead.

Meanwhile, supported by an underground resistance group, Thalen and his raiders continue to pester the Oros and have
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Decent but stilted; suffers from slight case of sequel syndrome. Plot is negligible & somewhat disappointing. Kozloff tends to tell too much & silly worldbuilding (society based on hair color?) doesn’t help a diluted narrative.
Michelle M
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
6/6
I can’t wait to see what happens next!!!
Such a great book! I really like all the threads coming together and spinning away to set up the next book! Poor Skylark!!! T.T
gwendalyn _books_
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was received from the Author, and Publisher, in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

Sarah Kozloff, delivers another stunning epic fantasy book that takes a more political elements, in focuses on the resistance to the Oromodo occupation of the Free states.
Giving the reader an insight into the events in Weirdale, which is still under the thumb of power mad Lord Regent Matwyck. Thalen and his devoted followers have adoptive
Nickyrian
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Megan
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved The Queen of Raiders. I felt like the adventure and suspense was amped up from book one as the princella was getting closer to being discovered and finally had to start moving and ended up crossing paths with Thalen as he and other free state citizens began to move into enemy territory.

I loved getting a bigger glimpse at the spirits and how each area was connected in the grand scheme of things. Finally a lot of what seemed like more minor POVs started to intertwine with the paths of othe
Di Richardson
Nov 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Giving this one 3.5 stars. The first half was a little slow, but understandably so, as it was a place of transition, and introduces us to a number of new and important characters. This is the second book in The Nine Realms series. In this chapter, the Queen, now a young woman, travels to join a small group of survivors (or “Raiders”) that have begun attacking the invaders quite successfully. The Queen’s ability to communicate with animals grows exponentially, and once she joins the Raiders, the ...more
Miss Stephanie
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Queen of raiders was such an incredible book! I was hooked from the first book and was so excited to see all the books of the series came out within a month of each other and there wasn't years to wait.
This book was a continuation from the first book, but it chronicled the tales of what happened next in Cerulia's adventures.

She becomes a protector of a small band of travelers, and helps them find safety and gain confidence in themselves while she learns more about herself. Than she becomes one
Brandy Walker
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
TW: rape, death

So not only do we get a random ass love V thrown in way late one of loves only noticed the other after someone else was showing interest. THEN that person basically became obsessed and insta fell in love 🙄 and no it wasn’t the girl. His whole personality became “protect so and so, I love her so much.”

This series is screaming white savior to me honestly.

It’s well written but I don’t really see some of the motivations or desires in some of the characters. Maybe we’ll get more inf
Racysteed
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is brilliant

I chose this series on a whim when it came up in suggested books and am so glad that I did. Complex in ways that lead the reader forward instead of leaving her behind, strong character development and a fascinating new world of magic and mysteries - there are so many layers to immerse yourself in.
Kat
4.5
I listened to this on audible but there's no audible version on goodreads. Anyways, I actually love this series.
Other thoughts...
I wish when referring to the main character that her real name would be used instead of the alias when writing in the mc's main POV.
Allie
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-with-mom
You could just jump in and enjoy this book— loved how some characters paths finally crossed :)

Another buddy read with my mom— on to #3
Valerie Smith
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Queen of Raiders (The Nine Realms,#2)
Sarah Kozloff

4.5 Stars

The Queen of Raiders, book #2 in the Nine Realms epic fantasy series by Sarah Kozloff, directly follows where A Queen in Hiding ends. Multiple storylines following our characters unfold simultaneously but weave their way together detailing an epic fantasy that is vivid, enthralling, and invigorating.

The princella, Cérulia of Weirandale is still on the run from the Lord Regent Matwyck. After leaving her home she makes her way to Slag
Dani
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Lois Young
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A continuation of the political affairs in the Nine Realms. We learn happens to everyone, everywhere. Both the religion and the military sequences were believable and helped with the world building. I'm eager to start Book 3!

"The Queen of Raiders" is an excellent follow-up to "A Queen in Hiding." Fans will appreciate how the conflicts continue in their own direction while all of the characters develop and participate in maintaining order through those conflicts. This action-packed part of the se
Franc Cassar
May 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This one didn't have all the time jumps like the first, it progressed a lot better, Similar to the last part if the first book. I felt there were a few parts that could have been better, or built up more. I didn't like the way Cerúlia suddenly decides to travel north based on the first story she hears about a small group of people attacking Oromondo from within their own border. I felt her voyage their could have been better. And I think there was an opportunity for some good action scenes with ...more
Moira Burke
Sep 26, 2020 rated it liked it
This book, the second in the series, is much better than the first. The pacing is tighter and the plot is more interesting.
E.K.
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lot of the time I feel like some books in a series are “transition books”. You know, where nothing really happens and is more to prepare you for the upcoming books. This apparently is called “second book syndrome”, although they might not be the same thing. One thing I do know is that The Queen of Raiders is a transition book. That being said I really enjoyed it and have been dying to read it since I read AQIH.

Even though most of the book is of various people travelling, something that I find
Megan McMillen
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rita
Feb 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Cerulia changes names quite often in this book. From Wren, to Kestrel, to something and then to Skylark as she remains for the last part of the book. Finally she catches up with Thalen's Raiders, and feels rather keenly even more sadness and sorrow when it comes to losing people who fight for freedom. But she manages to explore her skills in communicating with animals more succesfully, and it turns out to be a great value for the Raiders.

The chapters about Sumroth are the most boring, again. An
Sandy Schleich
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. Enemies of queen Cerulia are combing the land looking for her. They have found a way to make people tell the truth against their will, and Cerulia knows that it is time to leave her foster family to keep them safe. As Cerulia is trying to decide where she should go, she has been found, but is able to escape. She has a very interesting journey before she meets up with Thalen and his Raiders. She joins the Raiders and uses her talent to help the Raiders kill the enemy. I ...more
Julia
May 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, fantasy, 2021-read
*4.5

Really enjoyed this sequel. I didn't like how every human liked the princess just because.

I also didn't like how near the end something happened that to me (maybe there hints that I didn't notice) came out of nowhere.

*spoiler*
At the final battle there two people of the Raiders that knew she was the princerella, one that tried to kill her and another that saved her. And seriously where did that come from? On the chapters with her point of view there was no hints (I think) that she though so
Tracey
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was worried because book one was so good that it would be hard to keep at that level. I had no need to worry book two sets off at the same pace of book one.
We learn more about the nine realms, and follow cerulia as she sets off to join thalen and his raiders. She meets new helpers and adversaries along the way.
The world building and story progressed through this one and I can't wait to start on the next book. I'm sure other readers are as please as I am that all books are available now I don'
Linda Lassman
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The thing I hate about books in the middle of a set-length series is that the endings are always really traumatic--especially if it's the 2nd book in a quadrology (as this one is)--because they want you eager for the next book. This is no exception, except that I can get my hands on the rest of the series fairly quickly, so I don't have to suffer for years! All that being said, I really, really like this series--the characters are so interesting, the pacing is good, the dialogue keeps the plot m ...more
Jane Irish Nelson
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Entrancing, enthralling, impossible to put down. I cannot say enough good things about this book/series. So many different story lines to follow, from Regent Matwyk suppressing all opposition in Weirandale, a small band of Free Staters determined to sow discord and get vengeance on the Oros, who attacked their homes, and slaughtered their army. And then there is the princella, Cerulia, on the run, changing her name as she strives to stay ever ahead of those seeking her. Incredible world-building ...more
Debbi
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great sequel to A Queen in Hiding! It's dark, the terrible Oromondo's seem to be taking over the world, the Regent of Wierandale is busily consolidating his power, and no one knows that the princess heir is still alive, except for the fountains that continue to flow, which would stop at her death. I'm not sure at which point I realized just how dark the story is, but I'm sticking with it because the characters are so great and I just can't put it down. Well actually I did put it down when I fini ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Pumpkinheads
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • How to Start a Revolution: Young People and the Future of American Politics
  • Whose Story Is This? Old Conflicts, New Chapters
  • Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? And other Questions about Dead Bodies
  • Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Never Kiss a Duke (Hazards of Dukes, #1)
  • Bloom
  • X'ed Out
  • Girls with Razor Hearts (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #2)
  • The Luminous Dead
  • Book Love
  • Strange Planet (Strange Planet #1)
  • Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1)
  • The Twin
  • Again Again
  • Giant Days, Vol. 10  (Giant Days, #10)
War
See top shelves…
Sarah Kozloff has had three careers.

In the late 1970s, she worked in production on features, documentaries, television shows, and commercials in NYC.

Following a Ph.D. from Stanford University, she became an academic, teaching film history at Vassar College for 31 years.

In recent years she has re-invented herself as a novelist. Her four volume, epic fantasy, THE NINE REALMS, was published by TOR an

The Nine Realms (4 books)
  • A Queen in Hiding (The Nine Realms, #1)
  • A Broken Queen (The Nine Realms, #3)
  • The Cerulean Queen (The Nine Realms, #4)

News & Interviews

“In the morning of the second day they found their healer, a middle-aged man named Cerf who had lost his sons in the Rout and his grief-addled wife to suicide.” 1 likes