Start by marking “You Let Me in” as Want to Read:
You Let Me in

You Let Me in

You Let Me In delivers a stunning tale from debut author Camilla Bruce, combining the sinister domestic atmosphere of Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects with the otherwordly thrills of Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

Cassandra Tipp is dead...or is she?

After all, the notorious recluse and eccentric bestselling novelist has always been prone to flights of
Expected publication: April 21st 2020 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about You Let Me in, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Let Me in

Start your review of You Let Me in
Debra
Dec 14, 2019 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I'm out. I just can't get into this book. Some are really enjoying it, but I have decided to pass on this one. I'm not giving this book a rating as I did not finish.
Holly  B

Not enjoying this one ... so I'm abandoning at 15%

Bye bye Mr. Pepper-Man...
Chelsea Humphrey

Review to come.

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Joanne Harris
This book is an exquisite rarity: a faerie book that is at the same time marvellously visual and imaginative, but works equally well as a study of human trauma; a love story (of sorts); a family drama; a wholly engaging mystery. I found it in my ARCS-to-read pile (which this year has been sadly neglected) and started it with no great expectation, although by the end of the third page I was not only hooked, but beginning to think that this might be the best book I'd read all year. Anyone who ...more
Mary
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
the fuck did i just read
for real
wtf
if you're a fan of traditionally written fairies, you might enjoy this more than i did
it was just... so weird
i feel confused and uncomfortable
idk man
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
Dec 16, 2019 marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ by: Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
Shelves: netgalley
Heather told me this was a creepy mystery about evil faeries and that was all I needed to finagle myself an ARC.

I CAN'T BLOODY WAIT TO BEGIN THIS LITTLE SHINDIG
Jennifer Novotney
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About the book:

You Let Me In by Camila Bruce is a thriller from Tor Books in the vein of Shirley Jackson, Carmen Maria Machado, and Tana French. It is due out in April 2020.

The book is written in first-person from the perspective of Cassandra Tipp, who has mysteriously gone missing at 74 years old. Did she die? Did she disappear? No one knows. Cassandra, a best selling novelist, has left a manuscript behind for her niece and nephew in the case of her disappearance with a few stipulations. Only
Nigel
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not even going to attempt to rate this for now - only just finished it. I really am not sure whether it was quite good or quite bad... Three star I think though maybe only just. A marmite book perhaps. Full review will be here before publication
Amy Imogene Reads
Honestly so excited for this—some of my favorite authors have blurbed it (Caitlin Starling from The Luminous Dead!) and it sounds like such a fantastic story involving the Other mixed with supposed truth. *rubs hands together in excitement*

Thank you to Macmillan/TOR for an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.
Bandit
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly didn’t know what to expect from this book. Or, to be more accurate, I had an idea of what it might be and then it went and blew my expectations right out of the water. Because the initial appearance screams thriller, doesn’t it. One of those ever so popular female driven female authored thrillers dominating the genre these days. You have a women’s face on the cover, there’s that title that makes you go…well, Let Me In and Let The Right One in were taken and there are only so many ...more
Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
It's hard to describe this book without going into too much detail and giving things away. As a girl, Cassandra Tipp met a faerie she named Pepper-Man. Her family life was horrible. She had no friends. And Pepper-Man never went away. Now she's dead, and her niece and nephew have come to her house in the woods to read her final manuscript in order to get the password to access her fortune.

I didn't know exactly what I was requesting when I saw this on NetGalley. In my mind it was a thriller barely
Lukasz
This book will divide readers - some will love its unsettling atmosphere and weirdness, others will DNF it after the first chapter. You Let Me In is weird and confusing. It doesn’t offer straight answers. It doesn’t have an unambiguous ending. It deliberately misleads the reader.

I found it dark and compelling. Will I recommend it to everyone willing to listen to me? No way. You have to know what you're getting into.

You can approach it as a study of human trauma, a supernatural thriller, or a
Lukasz
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

You can approach it as a study of human trauma, a supernatural thriller, or a
Renee
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
What happened to Cassandra Tipp? Cassandra is an elderly writer known as much for her reclusiveness as for her romance novels. She vanished leaving everyone to wonder if she had been murdered, committed suicide, or just decided to leave everything behind, and start over.
Cassandra has not lead an uneventful life. As a child, she was the black sheep of her family, living in her own world, one filled with fairies and delusions. Her husband was brutally killed; a crime that saw Cassandra on trial
Natassja
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! Curious to see how the final version may change.
Alaina
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Lee
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You Let Me In is a very disturbing, devastating, and weird book, but it’s also extremely good. It was such a pleasure to be genuinely surprised by this book. It’s a story of tragedy, illusion and conjuring, family secrets and death. Nothing is as it seems. I recommend this one to fans of very dark stories and dysfunctional families. I loved the story and the way it was told. Camilla Bruce writes beautifully. She succeeds exceedingly well confusing at you and at the same time hooking you into the ...more
Menna van Praag
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very intriguing book. I read it in one sitting - it's gloriously short - which in itself is a commendation. And I found myself thinking about it for several days afterwards. It's a strange story & unexpected and I'm not entirely sure how to classify it but all in all a very good read. I adore the cover!
Sydney
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Random House for an early copy of You Let Me In.

I devoured this mysteriously bonkers book in one sitting. You Let Me In is a half mystery and half dark fairytale which centres around the story of Cass' tumultuous life told through a letter to her niece and nephew. I will say no more as it is best to go in to this book with as little knowledge as possible.

If you can suspend your disbelief and get lost in the truly bizarre and engaging story then I would recommend this as a great
BookEnds&BagEnds
*eARC provided by publisher & Netgalley for an honest review*

You Let Me In is a very difficult book to label in terms of its genre. Is it fantasy, horror, crime, thriller? In truth it is all of those and more, a gothic kaleidoscope of styles melded together and straining against conventional definition. The beauty of this book is that what you get is, to a large extent, what you want. Perspective is the watchword, take a step to the left and the fantastical elements drop away and you have
Rachel Bridgeman
This book completely threw me through a window into another universe-it was an unexpected, thrilling and darkly twisted take on the fairy tales most children are raised on.
For every beautiful princess who has a happy ending, there are the foundling children who do not fit in, who make bargains and deals with fae that are never quite as they seem, the lonely ones whose sadness acts as a beacon to otherworldly forces.
This is one of those tales-what starts out as a missing person tale with a deeply
Rachel Bridgeman
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: december
Shelby
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Okay. Where to begin? Seriously. This book was uncomfortable, bizarre, strange, freakish, and all of those other words. I don't even know if I completely understood it, if I'm being honest. With that being said, I liked it... I think.

Best-selling author Cassandra Tipp is either dead or missing, but either way, she has been unaccounted for for exactly 366 days. Now, her would-be heirs must read her final manuscript and uncover a password to claim their share of her estate. "You Let Me In" is that
Angie
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another forthcoming release which is dividing opinion. A Twitter post from Kelly Braffet, plus Joanne Harris' review, spurred me on to read it and I was intrigued from the opening pages. This year I've experimented with reading different genres and "You Let Me In" was an excellent way to finish off the year - with a faerie tale for grown ups. I loved the story and the way it was told. Camilla Bruce writes beautifully and maintains a strong first person narrative throughout, which is no mean ...more
Nicki Markus
You Let Me In is a captivating read. Part dark fairytale, part mystery, it treads an intriguing line that lets the reader decide for themselves which version of the story to believe. The story and characters caught my interest right from the start and held it throughout. As I was reading I thought I would love to see Guillermo del Toro make a movie based on this story. It would look stunning! Prose-wise, this was easy reading with a hint of fairytale style about it. I would certainly read more ...more
ℳacarena
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
~This ARC has been gently provided in exchange for an honest review~

Wooooow! This book has blown my mind, seriously. Disturbing and twisted, though, I couldn't stop reading. After finishing it I needed some time to process and I kept thinking over and over about ... everything!
It took me by surprise, because at first I thought the story was more like a thriller, but no, not at all.
This is definitely the most dark-disturbing-twisted book I've read this 2019. I loved it!
I won't try to explain the
Debbie
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved the premise of this one and the writing was just sensational. However, I was unable to connect with it due to the fantasy element (faeries). I can see this will be a polarising read and if you enjoy part mystery, part fairytale and are able to suspend belief then this is sure to be a hit. As I noted, the writing is sensational and I still finished this as the writing alone was just so captivating. Would definitely read more by this author. 3.5*

Dawn
Dec 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
This was a really weird book but I mean that in the best way possible. It is told from Cassandra Tip who went missing and is maybe dead and her mythical friend Mr Pepper-Man. In order for her family to claim any part of her estate they must read her manuscript which takes them through her life story. As the story moves on and on we wonder if she is a murderer or if she was the victim. On top of that...is any of this even real? What is real is all the people that have died mysterious deaths ...more
Andrea
Rate:
Author: Camilla Bruce
Publish Date: April 2020
Series: N/A

Blog

Thank you so much to Macmillan-Tor/Forge for giving me an ARC of You Let Me In by Camilla Bruce via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Cassandra Tipp is dead, her body is nowhere to be found, but she did leave a will to her heirs, her niece Penelope, and her nephew Janus. And on that will is a story that Cassandra wants to share.

The execution of this story was unique. That was my first reaction seeing the first 3
Miss R
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to NetGalley and Macmillan-Tor/Forge for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Wow. 'You Let Me' In' is a stunning novel with an original concept that is executed with pin-point precision. There are no well-hackneyed tropes of literary fiction in this novel - quite the contrary. Indeed, original is not a word you hear often in the context of the mystery & thriller genre, but 'You Let Me In' emphatically bucks the trend. Where to start? Well, lets begin with Cassandra Tipp. Cassandra

• The Wife and the Widow
  • The Memory Wood
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust, #2)
  • Notes to Self: Essays
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • What She Saw Last Night
  • The Familiars
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Last Christmas
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Unfollow Me
  • Are You Watching?
  • Imaginary Friend
  • Little Secrets
Camilla Bruce was born in central Norway and grew up in an old forest, next to an Iron Age burial mound. She has a master's degree in comparative literature, and have co-run a small press that published dark fairy tales. Camilla currently lives in Trondheim with her son and cat.
“Good girls smell like burnt tangerines for those with bad intentions-- fragrant but bitter, it is a repellant. Bad girls like me smell like ripe apples, ready for picking, juicy and tart.
No one will miss them at all.”
1 likes