Start by marking “The House in the Cerulean Sea” as Want to Read:
The House in the Cerulean Sea

The House in the Cerulean Sea

A magical island. A dangerous task. A burning secret.

Linus Baker leads a quiet, solitary life. At forty, he lives in a tiny house with a devious cat and his old records. As a Case Worker at the Department in Charge Of Magical Youth, he spends his days overseeing the well-being of children in government-sanctioned orphanages.

When Linus is unexpectedl
Expected publication: March 17th 2020 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The House in the Cerulean Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House in the Cerulean Sea

T.J.
Sep 22, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mine
On March 17, 2020, a new adventure begins.

From my new publisher, Tor, comes a queer fantasy romance, The House in the Cerulean Sea.

Blurb:

A magical island. A dangerous task. A burning secret.

When Linus is unexpectedly summoned by Extremely Upper Management he's given a curiousSea.
A
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Oh, heeeeey. Don't you look pretty on my Kindle!

Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Oct 04, 2019 marked it as tbr-unreleased
This sounds super queer and wild as hell and boy if that doesn't sum up my entire taste in books I don't know what does
Renée
Sep 27, 2019 marked it as maybe  ·  review of another edition
$13.99 for the ebook???!!!!

Ummmmm, maybe I won't be reading this.
Tucker
May 16, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
we all know how I feel about m/m romance....

Silke
Jun 16, 2018 marked it as to-read
OMG SO THIS IS REALLY A THING YASSS I CAN’T WAIT
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
Kindle edition - £18.13 ($22.66)
I think it's fair to say I don't quite get this pricing model.
Josy
I have to admit the price for the ebook was quite shocking but I guess that was to be expected from a big publisher? Good thing I'm totally in love with the cover so that's why I pre-ordered the hardcover. Still a steep price but not that uncommon for a physical book. Not sure yet if I will buy the ebook as well.

Speaking of the cover, did you know that the artist built a model and photographed it? So awesome! Here you can have a look at the model complete with sky and everything: ...more
Leo
Aug 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
Hello, I'm here for the queer and definitely not for the six dangerous children: a gnome, a sprite, a wyvern, an unidentifiable green blob, a were-Pomeranian, and the Antichrist, and the found family trope. Nope. Definitely not here for unidentifiable green blobs or found families.

TJ Klune disclosed the names of the children!
Sprite: Phee (girl)
Blob: Chauncey (boy-ish | I hope this kid uses they/them pronouns just because. And the little blob isn’t my favourite. Shut up.)
Gnome: Talia
Sara
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Are you kidding me? This was so amazing, I loved every minute of it. It's like Howl's Moving Castle + Bear, Otter and the Kid + The Sound of Music all wrapped up into its own truly unique and fucking heartwarming package! I am dead.
Em
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, sweet, gentle, hopeful book, part Good Omens, part Harry Potter, part Miss Peregrine’s, part Gashlycrumb Tinies. It’s a gorgeous piece of uplifting wish fulfillment and it made me cry.
Sana
Jun 20, 2018 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
This 'queer contemporary fantasy' about investigating 'the caretaker of six children who are unlike anything the world has ever seen' BETTER deliver
McCutsinger
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate enough to get this book while on vacation, so I had long uninterrupted reading times. This book is both entertaining and heartwarming. The characters are beyond endearing - I wanted to give the protagonist a noogie at the beginning of the book, and by the end wanted to cheer him. While some may find the story predictable or heavy handed at times, I loved the characters too much to care. And, given the current environment, a bit of heavy handedness may be called for anyway. Thorou ...more
rachel ☾
◯ Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagramThe Book Depository
Alexandra Santos
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't envy the job of marketers having to try and describe this sweet little book; it's got dry humour and an adult main character (planting it in adult fantasy), but the subject matter (an "orphanage" on a idyllic island, populated by children that are each some kind of magical being) means it's also quite light and gentle, with a simple message about the importance of family and love. At certain points, I felt like it could even be a young adult/middle grade book, but then there would be a s ...more
Tina
Simultaneously absurd and heartwarming. Reminded me of Diana Wynne Jones’s writing at times, which is one of the highest compliments I can give a story. Gorgeous writing and a fun cast of characters, as I’ve come to expect from TJ Klune. Full review to come.
Martha
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
RTC but holy shit you guys. It's sentimental and weird and the antichrist is there and he's heartbreaking and it's just completely, utterly wonderful.

Thanks to NetGalley and Tor for the ARC.
Katie
Zox
Chenise
Kait

• Gallant
  • The Doctor's Secret (Copper Point Medical #1)
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • Spring (The Haunted Heart, #2)
  • Stranded (8392, #2)
  • Exit Plans for Teenage Freaks
  • Diamond in the Rough (Four Kings Security, #4)
  • An Illusion of Thieves (Chimera, #1)
  • Dirty Lies (Dirty Deeds, #2)
  • When First I Met My King (The Arthur Quartet, #1)
  • Eye of the Storm (Lords of Arcadia, #2)
  • Exchange of Hearts
  • The Other Book (Those Other Books, #1)
  • The Magician's Angel (The Christmas Angel, #3)
  • Unconquerable Sun (The Sun Chronicles #1)
  • Summerfield's Angel (The Christmas Angel, #2)
  • The Eye of Ra (Repeating History #1)
  • Six Degrees of Agony (By Degrees, #3)
When TJ Klune was eight, he picked up a pen and paper and began to write his first story (which turned out to be his own sweeping epic version of the video game Super Metroid—he didn’t think the game ended very well and wanted to offer his own take on it. He never heard back from the video game company, much to his chagrin). Now, over two decades later, the cast of characters in his head have only ...more