Start by marking “All the Best Lies (Ellery Hathaway, #3)” as Want to Read:
All the Best Lies (Ellery Hathaway, #3)

All the Best Lies

(Ellery Hathaway #3)

FBI agent Reed Markham is haunted by one painful unsolved mystery: who murdered his mother? Camilla was brutally stabbed to death more than forty years ago while baby Reed lay in his crib mere steps away. The trail went so cold that the Las Vegas Police Department has given up hope of solving the case. But then a shattering family secret changes everything Reed knows about ...more
Published February 11th 2020 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about All the Best Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Best Lies

Start your review of All the Best Lies (Ellery Hathaway, #3)
Mary Beth
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 Hidden Gem Stars!

This is the third book in the Ellery Hathaway series. It was a hidden gem because I never heard of this series before and I am now excited. Lucky lucky me, I now have two more books in this series to read. This book was so good and I bet the other two books are gems too. It is a thriller and a mystery and can be read as a stand alone.

I was hooked straight from the beginning to the very end. I kept flipping the pages to see what was going to happen next. It was a page turner
Kaceey
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5*
This is book three of an unputdownable series. Easily standing on its own, I would still suggest starting with book one The Vanishing Season to truly get the full scope of these complex characters.

FBI agent Reed Markham just un-covered something quite shocking. There may have been a great deal more to his upbringing and family life! Tracing his roots to Las Vegas, he’s discovered his actual birth mother, Camilla. Tragically she was murdered some time ago and Reed is now committed to bringing
MarilynW
All the Best Lies, the third book in the Ellery Hathaway series, has Ellery and FBI agent, Reed Markham, investigating the murder of Reed's biological mom, Camilla, forty-two years ago. Thanks to a DNA test, Reed now knows the identity of his father and he feels compelled to find out if his father murdered his mother. Ellery is still suspended from the police force and is required to attend private and group therapy sessions in Boston, so she's more than happy to blow that town and fly to Las Ve ...more
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Are you all set to take a heart throbbing, exciting journey to Sin City by reading an amazing, captivating crime thriller story? If your answer is YES, join me and buckle up! We will have thrillingly fantastic time!
Thanks to Reading Insiders Club of Macmillan Publishers, as a lucky redhead cow I got my ARC COPY as you may see my know-it-all , cocky smile on my face:

Well, I proudly announce that I found another series to be addicted and hit my forehead several times not to discover them for too l
Susanne  Strong
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Peril awaits Markham and Hathaway in the City that Never Sleeps.

The day that FBI Agent Reed Markham asks suspended cop Ellery Hathaway for help, she of course, says yes. After all, he’s helped her on numerous occasions, and has even saved her life a few times.

Trying to find out who killed Markham’s birth mother, Camilla, forty (40) years earlier in the City of Las Vegas, sounds like an impossible task, but that was before Markham and Hathaway were assigned the case.

Trying to solve Mark
Paula
This is the first of the Ellery Hathaway series I have read. It is a light mystery and easy to read. A book you can get hooked on and fly through in a couple of days.

FBI agent Reed Markham decides to look into his birth mother’s murder 40 years ago. He enlists his friend, suspended policewoman, Ellery Hathaway, to join him on his quest to Las Vegas to get some answers. There are many unanswered questions that surround Camilla’s death. Her connection to Reed’s father for one. State Senator Angus
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
In this third book to the series Ellery and Agent Reed are on a more personal investigation. Reed was just a baby when his biological mother was murdered. Now Reed and Ellery are in Las Vegas looking for answers to who killed her. Family secrets start to come out and we see more into Reed's family as Ellery supports him.

The heart of the series here for me is Ellery and Reed and their growing relationship. I love the strong bond they have between them both as partners working together to solve a
Maureen Carden
Tolstoy wrote happy families are all alike. Until they aren’t. In All the Best Lies FBI Special Agent Reed Markham is going three for three. His birth mother, the young Puerto Rican, Camilla Flores was brutally murdered forty years ago in Las Vegas, while he lay in a crib in the next room. He is recently divorced from his wife and desperately missing his daughter. Finally, Reed is about to implode his very loving adoptive family thanks to some information he recently discovered.
Who better to ass
Sandy
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ever since I read the ending of "No Mercy" , I’ve been waiting for the next book in this series. FBI agent Reed Markham got some news that left us all pretty gobsmacked so if you haven’t read that one…*clears throat*…POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD. Duty done. Proceed at your peril.

When it comes to Reed’s career, he’ll probably be remembered as the man who rescued a young kidnap victim named Ellery Hathaway. But there’s another case that has always haunted him…the unsolved murder of his biological moth
PamG
ALL THE BEST LIES by Joanna Schaffhausen is a crime thriller, a police procedural and the third book in the Ellery Hathaway mystery series. It is set mostly in Nevada and worked for me as a standalone novel.

The main characters are FBI agent Reed Markham and a suspended police officer Ellery Hathaway. Reed decides to pursue a cold case; the unsolved murder of his birth mother. He enlists the help of Ellery and they head to Las Vegas, the site of the murder. I don’t want to say any more about the
Katie B
I rolled the dice with this one because I hadn't read the first 2 books in the series. Thankfully my gamble paid off and I really enjoyed this one. I liked the characters so much I'm motivated to go read the other books just so I can learn more about them.

FBI agent Reed Markham's mother Camilla was stabbed to death years ago when Reed was a baby. The Las Vegas Police Department eventually gave up on solving the case and Reed has decided now is the time to find his mother's killer once and for a
Erin
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, kindle, netgalley
All the Best Lies is getting a 5 star from me because it is still a few months away from publication, but when I gave it a quick peek last evening, I just couldn't stop reading. Ellery Hatheway is still on suspension, but when Reed drops by and asks her to follow him to Las Vegas to cover the cold case of his birth mother's murder, she cannot help but jump at the chance to do some investigating. But Ellery is going to have to deal with her own family problems along the way. Add to that the fee ...more
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This book is an excellent read! The detectives are once again awesome with no nonsense attitude. I like their observation skills and attention to details when they question someone. I enjoy their banter and humor. There are lots of family secrets in this story. The characters are likable and well developed. I love strategy discussions and Reed/Ellery didn't disappoint me. I love those unexpected twists!

This book started with Cammie, 19, Vegas 1974, told in the third person point of view, as she
Carole
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-books
All the Best Lies by Joanna Schaffhausen is the third instalment in the Ellery Hathaway series but it reads well as a stand-alone mystery. Forty years ago, FBI agent Reed Markham’s mother Camilla was brutally murdered while her infant son slept in his crib in the next room. He was subsequently adopted by a prominent family and, till now, the murder case was never solved. Due to new and surprising family information, Reed wants to re-investigate the crime and enlists the aid of suspended cop Elle ...more
Toni
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Although this is book 3 in Ellery Hathaway series by Joanna Schaffhausen, this thriller/police procedural works perfectly fine as a standalone. There is enough information and background, both factual and emotional, to understand both the past and the present of the protagonists. The previous books are The Vanishing Season and No Mercy.

In All the Best Lies Agent Reed Markham makes an accidental discovery about his family that makes him question his relationship to his parents and his sisters. It
Kathryn in FL
Update - 2/15/20 As I continue to reflect on this story, it is closer to five stars, thus I have changed my rating.

I'm new to Joanna Schaffhausen's work and I enjoyed this story immensely. It is third in the Ellery Hathaway series but it definitely can be read as a standalone story. All the background needed is layered into the story as it progresses, so no need to search for and read the previous two stories prior. However, it did make me want to read the first two in the series!

FBI Agent Reed
Monica
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fast paced police procedurals/mysteries
Recommended to Monica by: Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Joanna Schaffhausen delivers another labyrinthian racer of a police procedural, complete with stunning revelations, police corruption, close calls, and family drama.

Set primarily in Vegas, this third installment of the Ellery Hathaway series centers around the 44-year-old murder of 18-year-old Camilla Flores.

The novel opens from Camilla, Cammie, Flores’s point of view.

It’s 1975, and Camilla’s best friend Angela is sick and needs Cammie to cover for her. All she has to do is show up at a fanc
Lori Lamothe
FBI agent Reed Markham has saved more than a few lives, including Ellery Hathaway's, but there is one person whose death has haunted him for decades. Camilla Flores was just a poor waitress when someone brutally murdered her in front of her four-month-old son. Forty years later, the Las Vegas PD wants to lay the case to rest but Reed isn't ready to forget about it—not until he finds his birth mother's killer, anyway. With Ellery's help, he sets out to unravel the mystery of Camilla's past. It's ...more
Helga
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, mystery, series

4.5

One small act could alter the whole interwoven tapestry and you could sew it back up, but it would never look quite the same.

They say what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. But for the FBI Agent Reed Markham, his mother’s brutal murder forty years ago in the City of Lights is still fresh and painful. So much so that he is determined to find the killer, even if his trail is forty years cold. And who better to ask for help than
Ellery Hathaway, his friend and confidante.

Fiona
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Book three in the Ellery Hathaway series built on every good thing in the previous two books, to end up with an absolutely fantastic, entirely absorbing novel.

I'm pretty invested in this series now - enough that it's gained it's own rating system, rather than me trying to maintain objectivity, so do be aware of that if you're considering this book; though they all do stand alone, I'd highly recommend building up to this one, because this investment really pays off.

See, this time it's personal -
Kristy
The third book in the Ellery Hathaway series finds FBI Agent Reed Markham taking on a particularly personal case--his birth mother's murder. His mother, Camilla, was stabbed to death over forty years ago while baby Reed was nearby in his crib. Her killer was never found. It's a cold case now for the Las Vegas Police Department. Reed asks for Ellery's help and the two travel together to Las Vegas to search for answers. But Reed soon learns something shocking about his past, leading him to add som ...more
Erth
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
uses her detective skills to help the FBI agent who rescued her. Watching her struggle to reinvent and accept herself is a poignant experience. This tale peels back some of the sorrowful history that haunts Ellery and the twisty tale turns constantly with terrifying or delightful surprises.

Here are characters we can believe in, the trauma of terror that never really goes away and secrets that creep out from their graves. A page turner that kept me up till Three AM and I loved each minute. Can’t
♥Rachel♥
Ellery Hathaway, a police officer, and FBI Agent, Reed Markham have a complicated past. Years ago, Reed saved fourteen-year-old Ellery from the clutches of a deranged serial killer, something that left a mark on them both.

In Vanishing Season (book one), Ellery, asks for Reed’s help with a case, and they’ve been sort of attached since. Solving cases is the excuse that brings them together, but they’re drawn to each other, and while the mysteries they investigate are thrilling, I’ve been more fas
Fareya
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copies
All the Best Lies by Joanna Schaffhausen is the third book in the Ellery Hathaway series but can be easily enjoyed as a standalone. I haven't read the previous two books, but that did not in any way hinder with my enjoyment of this one.

A mix between crime thriller and police procedural, this was a quick and engaging read with well rounded characters, a suspenseful plot and perfectly placed twists and turns.

Why does a four decade old unsolved murder mystery has FBI Agent Reed Markham's attention
Susan Johnson
Feb 28, 2020 rated it liked it

I would have liked this book better if I had read the first two books. Although it can be read as a stand alone as I did, the reader knows they are missing a great deal. The author gives dibs and drabs of background as you go along but it's not enough to ever feel fully included in the story. FBI agent, Reed Markham, apparently freed Boston cop, Ellery Hathaway, from a horrific captive situation when she was 13.

Now years later, Markham decides to investigate the murder of his mother 4
Carrie
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Review coming soon.
Zoe
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Raw, complex, and unputdownable!

In this latest novel in the Ellery Hathaway series, All the Best Lies, Hathaway and Markham head to Las Vegas, Nevada to delve into the emotional, heinous cold case of FBI agent Reed’s slaughtered mother from 1975 in the hope of finally capturing her murderer and unravelling all the lies, secrets and deception surrounding his birth and true parentage.

The writing is tight and crisp. The characters are vulnerable, flawed, and resilient. And the plot keeps you on the
Nicole Chinnici
The third book in Joanna Schaffhausen’s Ellery Hathaway series, All the Best Lies continues the story of Ellery and her friend and FBI agent Reed Markham.

In this installment we begin to learn more about Reed’s backstory as he investigates the forty year old cold case of his mother’s murder. And since he can’t trust his own family when he discovers the secrets they’ve been keeping, he naturally enlists Ellery’s help. These characters evolve wonderfully in not only this book, but in the overall st
Amy Bruestle
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I won this book through a giveaway in exchange for an honest review!

This was my first time reading anything by this author. In fact, it’s actually the first time I’ve ever even heard of this author! I’m so glad I won this book because it has quickly become one of my FAVORITES! I have so many books at home (over 2000) that I no longer keep books after I read them unless I truly LOVE them! But this book is a keeper! I don’t want to give anything away, but I highly recommend it! Amazing!
Brittany | Healing Happy Lee
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-arcs
Book and review may contain sensitive material not suited for everyone.

Usually, I don't like reading about politics or sensitive material, but the writing was so good that I ended up reading all 322 pages in one day! That's super uncommon for me! On a good day, I can read about 100 pages. It wasn't too heavily saturated with politics that it was doable for me.

I've never read this author or any of her previous titles before. This is book #3 in the series. This CAN be read as a standalone but fre
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz
  • When We Were Vikings
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Perfect Little Children
  • The Secrets They Left Behind
  • Beneath the Ashes (The Calderwood Cases, #2)
  • Cold Heart Creek (Detective Josie Quinn, #7)
  • Moral Compass
  • The Wicked Hour (Natalie Lockhart, #2)
  • Snow Creek (Detective Megan Carpenter, #1)
  • Dear Edward
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
  • Single
  • Shatter the Night (Detective Gemma Monroe #4)
  • Dachshund Through the Snow (Andy Carpenter #20)
  • The Argument
  • Trace of Evil (Natalie Lockhart, #1)
  • The Stars We Steal
Joanna Schaffhausen wields a mean scalpel, skills she developed in her years studying neuroscience. She has a doctorate in psychology, which reflects her long-standing interest in the brain―how it develops and the many ways it can go wrong. Previously, she worked as a scientific editor in the field of drug development. Prior to that, she was an editorial producer for ABC News, writing for programs ...more

Ellery Hathaway (4 books)
  • The Vanishing Season (Ellery Hathaway, #1)
  • No Mercy (Ellery Hathaway, #2)
  • Every Waking Hour (Ellery Hathaway, #4)

News & Interviews