Start by marking “Me and Mr. Cigar” as Want to Read:
Me and Mr. Cigar

Me and Mr. Cigar

From legendary Butthole Surfers front-man Gibby Haynes comes a darkly humorous speculative YA debut about a lost Texas teen and his supernatural dog, and the power of found family.

For the past five years seventeen-year-old Oscar Lester has never been without his dog, Mr. Cigar. The two have made a pretty good life for themselves in North Texas. Oscar spends most of his
Published January 14th 2020 by Soho Teen

To ask other readers questions about Me and Mr. Cigar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me and Mr. Cigar

Start your review of Me and Mr. Cigar
Mimi
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea what I just read.
Niklas Pivic
To begin with, I was drawn to this book because of its writer, Gibby Haynes, who's never come across as a writer to me. He still doesn't. On the other hand, every book has its points, even though Haynes's style comes across much like that of a jaded raconteur, a man who's told a lot of tales, perhaps filtered through eons of drugs and alcohol, and, perhaps mainly, a man whose sense of style and plot follows the irregularities of his old band, the Butthole Surfers.

The book started quite
Julie-Ann Johnson
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you Netgalley and Publisher for the arc.

I'm going to begin by saying this was a very wild ride and I am glad that it wasn't a very long book.

Why?

-It was confusing. But not a good 'mind game' kind of confusing that some books have accomplished, more so a a drug or alcohol induced confusion. Kind of like if your not so sober friend was telling you story that made very little sense (but gave you a few laughs) though ultimately you just wanted them to finish their story and go away.

I still
Tani Garberg
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a wild ride. Having never done the drugs mentioned I will have to assume that this is what an acid/moly trip might be like. Keeping in mind that this is a fantasy book written for YA it’s was a good read.
Sarah Yung
Dec 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick read that would've benefitted from a far firmer editor, as evinced by passages like this: “Carla soon became a combination of mother, sister and friend. Almost immediate family. I love immediate families, the really quick ones” (46).

The illustrations are unnecessary; one on page 67 corresponds to the text on page 221, but the few others seemed unrelated.

Cast Facts:
Despite evidence to the contrary, Oscar is ostensibly smart: “I try to go [to school] as little as possible. I’ve
Kim McGee
This is one wild ride - Oscar is your normal well off, ignored by his wealthy parents, kind of kid. That is until the day he is discovered by Mr. Cigar a very unusual dog with some out-of-this-world powers.
Lucky for Oscar he also has Carla who acts as a second mom and includes Oscar and Mr. Cigar in her revolutionary new ideas. Strange, funny and a true out-of-body experience to read, Oscar will have you believing and you will not be able to look at a dog again without wondering if he really
Heather Mashnouk brandon
Oscar Lester knows the Mr. Cigar is no ordinary dog. They are friends and partners and do life together. So what if Mr. Cigar appears to be supernatural and telepathic? It makes their adventures together that much better.

Written for younger teens, this book by Gibby Haynes touches on friendship, companionship, growing up, and contains the element of danger that Haynes hoped would be prevalent in his story telling. The chapters are short enough to maintain attention and Haynes definitely created
Delany Holcomb
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This treat of a zany and sweet buddy story between a boy and his loyal (albeit abnormally talented) dog is a wild ride from start to finish. Butthole Surfers frontman Gibby Haynes has concocted this cocktail of absolute absurdity that follows Oscar and his dog, Mr. Cigar, as they navigate their life together. From biting off his sister's hand to being seemingly immortal, Oscar loves every ounce of Mr. Cigar. But when Mr. Cigar's history starts to come to light and the pair find themselves in ...more
Vera
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, ya
Thank you to Soho Teen for the ARC of this book!

I'm giving it three stars because it had some flashes of brilliance, and the writing style was lyrical and interesting, but overall, the plotline didn't really make sense to me at all. I had a lot of trouble sympathizing with the main character, Oscar, since I wasn't able to fully grasp what was going on in his head or around him throughout the book. Some of the magical realism elements in the book were interesting, but I think they needed to be
Dan
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally weird and very entertaining -- I would expect nothing less from Gibby Haynes.
Will
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I mean, it was entertaining, in the sense that I kept reading just to see what wild, illogical thing would happen next. I couldn't really empathize with the main character, a rich, inconsiderate teenager who organizes huge parties to make more money. I would have loved more info about Mr. Cigar, or even a scene where his bond with Oscar actually develops. 2 stars just for the sheer surreal feeling I got and had to process while reading.
Arlen
Jul 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book; it's about a dog, after all. But one-third of the way through, it became a DNF for me. The author's drug-fueled magical realism was, um, drug-fueled. Not that there's anything wrong with that (*cough*sputter*), but though it made sense in the author's own head, it never made it from his head to the paper in a coherent way. An author cannot surf on the w(hole) of his name and just hope not to end up on his butt.
Matt Shaqfan
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rest assured, this book is full of drug-fueled weirdness, but it's totally great! Just what I was hoping for/expecting. Not literally though. MaMC is unpredictable as all hell, but it's super fun. Plus, it's REALLY quick, with each chapter clocking in at around 2 pages each. Gibby said he wanted to make the kind of book he would've wanted to read as a kid, and I'm all for it.
Bronwen Hruska
Jan 05, 2020
Sean
Dec 20, 2019
Victoria
rated it did not like it
Jan 15, 2020
Colin
Sep 28, 2019

• The Seep
  • Face It
  • Mac Cracks the Code (Mac B., Kid Spy #4)
  • The Speed of Falling Objects
  • Acid For The Children
  • Everything Inside
  • Your House Will Pay
  • The Grace Year
  • The Missing American (Emma Djan Investigation #1)
  • I Am Still Alive