Start by marking “The Cure for Hate: A Former White Supremacist's Journey from Violent Extremism to Radical Compassion” as Want to Read:

How does an affluent, middle-class, private-school-attending son of a doctor end up at the Aryan Nations compound in Idaho, falling in with and then recruiting for some of the most notorious neo-Nazi groups in Canada and the United States?

The Cure for Hate paints a very human picture of a young man who craved attention, acceptance, and approval and the dark place he would
Published November 5th 2019 by Arsenal Pulp Press

To ask other readers questions about The Cure for Hate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cure for Hate

Start your review of The Cure for Hate: A Former White Supremacist's Journey from Violent Extremism to Radical Compassion
Sarah  :)
Jul 07, 2020 rated it liked it
This could have been a ten page article. There was nothing really wrong with it, but the author only tells, rather than showing, so a lot of what he tells is redundant. I didn't find the book very emotionally wrenching for this reason, and I don't think it gave me a great portrait of what it's like in a white supremacist movement. Especially the last part, which was very much "I did this. I founded this. I stepped up. I stepped down. I did this." This could be very enlightening if you know someo ...more
Jen
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Tony McAleer was an affluent middle-class, private school-attending son of a doctor who ended up spending 15 years as a leader, recruiter, and propagandist for the white supremacist movement in the US and Canada. The birth of his children inspired him to not only leave the movement but begin a process of combatting the kind of hateful ideologies he formerly espoused.

In The Cure For Hate, McAleer examines stereotypes and delivers valuable insights into how regular people are drawn to violent ext
Elliot Ratzman
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’ve started a stack of memoirs by “formers”—mostly men who have left extreme violent groups: white supremacists, radical Islamists, etc. I’m curious to see if there are literary patterns of conversion narratives and, practical tips to fight extremism. There are interesting chapters about the skinhead movement in the Pacific Northwest. Tony’s breezy story, as he tells it, gets him off lightly though. After some high-profile media appearances on daytime talks, and some early-adaption to internet ...more
Margie Rennie
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book opened my eyes in many ways. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Andrea McDowell
By chance, The Cure for Hate: A Former White Supremacist's Journey from Violent Extremism to Radical Compassion finally came up on my library holds just a few days after an impulse purchase of Turning Darkness Into Light, so I read them within a day of each other. They both are about overcoming hatred and divisions in a time of increasing violent extremism, though one is a fantasy novel and one is a memoir, so they bounced off each other in interesting ways.

Turning Darkness Into Light was first,
Anna Bunce
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Fascinating and a really good reminder that yes, we have white supremacists in Canada, even on the west coast.
Steve Maxwell
A former white supremacist's journey from violent extremism to radical compassion. Wow! What a story. ...more
Chels Patterson
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Completely Blown Away.

This book was intense. The author never downplays or shrugs off his lived experience and hate that led to his involvement in white Supremacy. Instead he explains the situations that led to his pain, and how his cure for that pain was “falling into” white supremacy groups.

He really shows through his own story, stories of other White Supremacist and peer-reviewed research and statistics the commonality of these followers, and their inability to leave.

It was intensely moving
Claudia Cecilia
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
One of the reviews for this book says “it should have been a 10 page article”.

I completely disagree.

This book was meant to go in all phases of the Author’s life in order for you to truly understand the power of the words and actions he mentions towards the end of the book. It goes full circle.

I read this book because one of my close friends voted for Donald Trump. I wanted to know how to proceed with my friend when I see so much far-right in modern day conservatism. This book is important.

It ti
Anum
Jan 10, 2021 rated it liked it
I appreciated hearing Tony's story about how he was introduced to the white supremacist movement, what made him stay and eventually how he transitioned out of it. I would have really appreciated more insight as to the inner-workings of the groups he was a part of, and some advice regarding how to address radicalization when you notice it occurring in someone you know. Overall, an interesting insight into a world and the motivations behind it of which I know little about. ...more
Christine
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not much of a review but just my thoughts.....

This book was eye-opening and now that I am three-quarters of the way through, I regret not taking notes so badly that I might turn around and do it.

Every time someone says, "there are no white supremacist groups in Canada" I would like to be able to consult my notes. Nowhere else have I seen a timeline of events and a list of names and organizations such as this. - A valuable resource.
Antonia Malvino

• The Family Upstairs
  • Guts
  • The Starless Sea
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Highway of Tears: A True Story of Racism, Indifference and the Pursuit of Justice for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls
  • The Tyrant’s Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • A Warning
  • Generation Friends: An Inside Look at the Show That Defined a Television Era
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • This Place: 150 Years Retold
  • Indians on Vacation
  • Angry Queer Somali Boy: A Complicated Memoir
  • All the Water in the World
  • JOMO: Celebrate the Joy of Missing Out!
  • The Girl Without Skin (Grønland - Greenland #1)
  • Broken Man on a Halifax Pier