Start by marking “The Young Man from Atlanta” as Want to Read:
The Young Man from Atlanta

The Young Man from Atlanta

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  147 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The Pulitzer Prize-winning The Young Man from Atlanta tells the story of a couple living in Houston in 1950, suffering the aftershocks of the mysterious death of their son. Will and Lily Dale Kidder try to hold onto their beliefs about their son's life and death and the possibilities for their own lives, but both are dealt a shattering blow by the young man of the title, a ...more
Published June 17th 1995 by Dramatists Play Service

To ask other readers questions about The Young Man from Atlanta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Young Man from Atlanta

02cadyc
Sep 13, 2011 rated it liked it
The Young Man From Atlanta
Cady Crowell
What I liked best abou this book is how giving Will’s wife is to the man that says he didn’t have any money. It was a very kind thing to do and most people would be greedy and would loan or give him any money. She should’ve looked more into what kind of guy he was and made sure that he really used the money for what he said he was going to.
One of the worse things I hated about this book was that Will’s wife lied to him multiple times but then got caught in h
Nicki
May 28, 2011 rated it liked it
1995 Pulitzer: I must say,I feel like maybe I missed something in reading this play. It ends abruptly without tying much of the plot together, leaving me with a kind of messy, unraveled feeling. I am going to have to look up some of the things published about this play and why it won the Pulitzer. It was well-written and its characters were well fleshed out, but I think the point of it may have gone over my head. Something akin to Death of a Salesman, perhaps? A man who has dedicated his life to ...more
Ronald Wise
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Will Kidder has worked hard all his life and had a rather successful career until he started getting old and things started falling apart. And after his only son dies, a young man from Atlanta, who claims to have been his son's good friend, seems to be the only one benefitting from Will's accomplishments. A quick read with just enough character depth to make one melancholy about getting old. This play came to my attention from a tribute to Foote's birthday (03/14/1916) on Garrison Keillor's Writ ...more
G. Derek Adams
Mar 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm tempted to say 'Death of a Salesman'-lite, but that's not really fair. There are some truly affecting moments in the script - but so much of the sorrow is telegraphed and stock, and the character of Lily Dale made my flesh crawl. There's an interesting dynamic at work where the 'Young Man' never appears on stage, echoing the absence of the main couple's deceased son -- but not sure it's all worth the journey in the end.
David
Nov 21, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: insomniacs
So unenjoyable that I had blocked it from my memory since I saw its curtain descend in 1996. Eleven years was not long enough: it retains the honor of being the most boring thing to win the Pulitzer for drama that I've read or seen.
Gabrielle
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
A funny cross between DEATH OF A SALESMAN and SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION. I'm not sure I liked it, but our discussion in class was good -- we enjoyed the power of the "absent" character.
Penn
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
picked this up at the Princeton public library sale shelves b/c it was a Pulitzer winner.
Dean Brodhag
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
First exposure to Horton Foote and reading plays. Enjoyed it
Bayneeta
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big Horton Foote fan. Listened to this around the same time I saw a number of his plays performed at the Goodman.
Eneil
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bill's friend visits the
Kidders. Con man? Lover? Live
With the side you know.
Abby
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: plays, pulitzer
Well written, but uninteresting. I don't see why it merits a Pulitzer.
Branden
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
you guys, horton foote's really good. it's understated and spare and mildly formulaic, but somehow almost always affecting in some way. would love to see this live.
Martin Murray
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Talley's Folly
  • The Kentucky Cycle
  • Seascape
  • Anna in the Tropics (TCG Edition)
  • The Teahouse Of The August Moon
  • Sunday in the Park With George
  • The Piano Lesson
  • Ruined
  • The Heidi Chronicles
Albert Horton Foote, Jr. was an American playwright and screenwriter, perhaps best known for his Academy Award-winning screenplays for the 1962 film To Kill a Mockingbird and the 1983 film Tender Mercies, and his notable live television dramas during the Golden Age of Television. He received the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1995 for his play The Young Man From Atlanta.
More about Horton Foote...