Start by marking “Strange Exit” as Want to Read:
Strange Exit

Strange Exit

Seventeen-year-old Lake spends her days searching a strange, post-apocalyptic landscape for people who have forgotten one very important thing: this isn’t reality. Everyone she meets is a passenger aboard a ship that’s been orbiting Earth since a nuclear event. The simulation that was supposed to prepare them all for life after the apocalypse has trapped their minds in a ...more
Published January 14th 2020 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Strange Exit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Exit

Start your review of Strange Exit
Toni
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
The topic and setting of virtual reality seemes all rage now with multiple books exploring this subject coming out this winter. Well, science-fiction by its nature is the genre that looks into near future and explores what problems we might have if we stay on our current course.
So, the premise of this book is something I was fascinated by and invested in. I also liked the pace.
Pick this book, if you are interested in survival stories and virtual reality and like exploring big ideas in sci-fi
Lilith Black
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
E-ARC provided by the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Actual rating: 3.5

PROS:
• Great virtual reality setting. This was so good that actually, a few times it was hard to tell whether I was in the book's reality or in the virtual one. Does this make sense to you? Because in my head when I formed the idea, it sounded way much better! But I think you know what I mean. Anyway, just for this reason only, I am gonna increase my initial rating from 3 to 3.5! Oh, and, for
Carrie
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Strange Exit by Parker Peevyhouse is a young adult science fiction fantasy. The story is a futuristic one taking place in space after a nuclear event happened on Earth. However, the setting in most of it is a virtual reality dystopian world the characters are stuck in.

Seventeen-year-old Lake is aware she is a passenger aboard a space ship that holds the survivors from Earth. Lake however spends her days searching the post-apocalyptic virtual world that the other passengers are stuck within and
rachel ☾
quick thoughts:

• The plot captivated me from the very first chapter.
• It kept me on my toes. I could never pinpoint which direction the story was going to take, and it ended up shocking me! which is always a bonus (and hard to do)
• .... though the plot twists didn't really pack the punch they could of if i had any kind of emotional investment in the characters.
• Lake & Taren were flat protagonists. They never felt like real, fleshed-out people with emotions & motivations beyond what we
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
DNF @ 20%

I am having a hard time getting into this story. So far, there is no character development and there doesn't seem to be enough context for what is happening in the book. There is some MG humour that has me shaking my head as well. Fart jokes aren't my cup of tea.
Queen Cronut
Nov 04, 2019 marked it as dnf
DNF @ 47%

I really wanted to love Strange Exit (virtual reality and the near-future apocalypse? sign me up!) but it just didn't work for me and failed to hold my attention long enough to finish this one. I couldn't connect with the MC, Lake and there were too many POVs to keep track of. I never felt a sense of danger or urgency whilst reading this and the plot felt dull and unexciting. This book had a lot of great ideas but was lacking in its execution.

Emily
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS COMES OUT TOMORROW. GO GET IT.

very smart, very sad meditation on a dying planet that we all love very much, but throw in a lone kernel of brilliant hope.

cue "i just wasn't made for these times" playing over interior shot of a raggedy spaceship with flickering lights
Shannon Price
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fast-paced, imaginative read—I was completely hooked! I really loved Peevyhouse's depictions of a close sister relationship, and the descriptions of the setting hit that perfect balance of giving the reader a clear understanding of the setting/stakes without being too heavy-handed. Put this on your TBR now!
Carrie (brightbeautifulthings)
I received a free e-ARC through NetGalley from the publishers at Macmillan-Tor/Forge. Trigger warnings: death, parent/sibling death, violence, mild body horror, injury, grief, trauma, survivor’s guilt, bullying.

Lake spends every day wandering a post-apocalyptic world, looking for survivors. The catch is that the world isn’t real; it’s a simulation, and everyone has forgotten that they’re in it. When the nuclear apocalypse happened on Earth, Lake and a number of other teenagers boarded a ship to
Kira Simion
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
I received a complimentary ebook from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I hope that one day Netgalley will have a preview of the stories on their website. Even a few pages would help a lot.

Definitely my fault for this one.

The moment the first page's words hit my eyes, I knew this would be a bumpy ride for me as what I thought would happen would be an action packed scenes from the get-go. I was also for a heartfelt moment from the realization that this was not the true reality, but a
Roberta R. (Offbeat YA)
Excerpt from my review - originally published at Offbeat YA.

Pros: Complex but believable VR setting, painted in mind-blowing details. Sometimes flawed, yet well-meaning and brave teens who will tug at your heart. Strong sibling theme. Twists and turns galore.
Cons: The ending feels a little rushed.
Will appeal to: Those who are fascinated by virtual reality and survival stories. Those who like books with a strong accent on family and a minimal amount of romance.

First off...DISCLAIMER: this title
A Robin Reads
Reviewing based on my enjoyment :)

What can I say about this book? It was pretty good, basically. I really liked it.
What I liked about this book:

The characters were amazing. So well thought out and you felt with them. The different POVs were well chosen, because therefore you could feel with them. The background story for the characters was enough that you got to know them, but not so much that you were overwhelmed.

The story itself was intriguing. Yes, it wasn't totally original. The book
Gordon Jack
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If it’s one thing I can count on from Parker Peevyhouse it's that once I open one of her books, it will be impossible to put down. Somehow she manages to take mind-bending scenarios and turn them into gripping thrillers. This is especially true in her latest, Strange Exit. I loved the world she has created here, one that tests the characters’ (and this reader’s) ability to distinguish fantasy from reality. At the start of the novel, earth has been destroyed by nuclear war, leaving only a ...more
Aoife
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: a3e, usa, 2019, a2, january, tor-teen
Reality is not what it seems in this strange, sort of post apocalyptic novel.

Lane has spent a long time trying to free people from a virtual sim. Real life isn't much better; they're trapped on a damaged and failing space ship in orbit around a devastated Earth. Until everyone is out of the sim, the ship won't let them leave, but where are they going, and how can she persuade people to leave what seems like paradise to enter Hell?

A strange read, this one. I love the concept, but the writing
Katherine Hardisty
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to receive a free copy in an Instagram giveway and let me just say! The premise for this book was amazing. I really enjoyed the fast paced action of the plot.

The story is about a girl named Lake who is trying to rescue her fellow ship mates from the depth of a simulation. They're all on a space ship after escaping nuclear winter on Earth. The sim was originally intended to acclimate people to what life will be like when they return, but with a failing ship, time is running
Elizabeth Mellen
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was interesting. I had read Echo Room and enjoyed it - I like my thrillers to have a little sci-fi (or the other way around) and these fit well into that. This was a pretty quick, fun read, with a satisfying ending.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
3.5*

Um excuse me, do we all see those comps? "Strange Exitis Parker Peevyhouse's next suspenseful, near-future, stand-alone thriller, perfect for fans of Kass Morgan's The 100 and Patrick Ness'sMore Than This". Yeah, that is obviously going to the top of my TBR. And I will say, that it absolutely had vibes of those two books, so while it's high praise, it's also earned.

This is my
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
I received a copy of Strange Exit through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Strange Exit is the latest speculative science fiction novel from the mind of Parker Peevyhouse, and it is a unique reading experience. This novel blends post-apocalyptic fiction with simulations, debates about human nature, and so much more.
Lake is a determined and driven girl. Every day she goes out there and she searches for survivors in a shredded and desolate space known as earth. And every day
Louise Emerson
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Earth is damaged and cannot be saved but we can! 17 year old Lake has secured herself on a ship. The one designed to save the human race. And the one designed to tell them when it is safe to go back and begin to re build the world. But that time has not come...

Lake does not know how long they have been on the ship for but she does know one thing if she doesn't wake everyone up she is not going home! To do this mission Lake has to delve into the VR simulator. There is a chance that she may get
Lacy
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
The Maze Runner meets Across the Universe meets Reverie meets Warcross. Sounds crazy and confusing right?
Strange Exit was indeed very strange. I was confused almost the entire time I read it. Maybe that was the point? Was it a thriller or scifi? Everytime I thought I had the story figured out, it would throw me off again. I like multiple povs but I also like when they have a purpose and they just seemed so random here. We never really get any answers to anything but we get a super quick happy
Belle
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Should be 5 stars, but..

Absolutely LOVE the concept for this book, it is unbelievably fascinating. My hopes and expectations were super high, it had the potential to be an EPIC 5 star read. It was a solid attempt and definitely wasn't bad, but in the end, I was still left disappointed. One thing that fell short for me were the characters. I didn't connect with any of them. They were all very bland. They lacked substance and depth and any personality.

I would have absolutely loved to have seen
Laura Newsholme
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a book that had a bucket load of potential, but unfortunately, it just didn't deliver for me. It tells the story of Lake, a young girl exploring the post-apocalyptic landscape day after day - or at least, the simulation of one.

The Positives: The basic premise is a really interesting one - we have a ship that escaped Earth, however many of the occupants are trapped within a virtual reality simulation of Earth and must be woken up in order for the ship to return. I thought that the
Effy
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Set in a future where the Earth has been destroyed by nuclear war, we meet Lake who is trapped on a spaceship that refuses to work until all of the passengers are brought out of stasis but to make matters more complicated, the passengers' minds are stuck in a simulation which they need to want to leave so that they can be brought out of stasis. Lake have taken it upon herself to do just this. The concept sounds a lot more complicated than it is, I promise!

This book is written in a really
Rachel
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arc
Jen
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5*
This book had me hooked from the beginning. A post-apocalyptic simulation that you don’t know is real or not? Yes please!

I really enjoyed the story and characters. The story wasn’t something I’ve read before so I was sucked into it quickly. Sometimes I felt like it was hard to follow what was going on and could have used some more world building but for the most part I really enjoyed it. Lake, Taren and Willow were all great characters; I loved Lake and Willow’s relationship.

There were some
Joe Crowe
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one flows like an action movie, and I mean that in the best possible sense.

I've read a number of SF stories recently with virtual reality hijinks, but this one has emotional depth that I haven't found in any of the others.

In this one, nuclear war survivors escape into virtual realities to escape said war. Naturally, hijinks ensue and the simulation starts breaking down, so survivors need to escape their escape.

It's a thriller and a heroic survival drama starring young people, all in one
Courtney M
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
I expected this book to give me "Passenger" meets "Ready Player One" type vibes.

description

And it did…but not exactly as well as such other versions.

First, let me say that the concept behind the simulation and the worlds the characters explore within it are interesting and the writing itself was strong.

Unfortunately, the story overall felt too rushed. I inevitably ended up confused as the book too-quickly moved from one moment to another, and left me wanting more when it came to characterization,
Rebecca
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This was my first Syfy book with a VR theme. I enjoyed this story it kept me engaged and entertained. The author did a good job with the world-building. Through the use of vivid imagery, the details came to life for me. The plot was intriguing, great concepts. I do wish they had been fleshed out a bit more, there was a lot left off the table. It doesn't detract from the story, I just think that there was untapped potential. The story was well written and the flow is sound. I would recommend it ...more
Karlie Schaefer
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Strange Exit is an intriguing, fast-paced, YA sci-fi book. I definitely enjoyed it as I read it in one sitting, in just a few hours. I'm a big fan of dystopian settings where teens are fighting for survival with no adults around, so this didn't disappoint. I liked the concept a lot, and the main characters were fleshed out well. The ending left me with a question or two, but not in a way that detracts from the overall story. I may look into other works of Parker Peevyhouse since this was the ...more
Crowinator
(view spoiler)

I liked this mind-bending psychological puzzle-thriller (is that a genre?) even more than The Echo Room, and I liked that one a lot. I'll say more closer to the pub date.

• We Survivors: A Story from After the End
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Tweet Cute
  • Pet
  • That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story
  • Dorothy in the Land of Monsters (Oz ReVamped, #1)
  • Reverie
  • #notreadytodie
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • Joe Quinn's Poltergeist
  • Five Midnights
  • A Longer Fall (Gunnie Rose, #2)
Parker Peevyhouse is likely trying to solve a puzzle at this very moment, probably while enjoying In-N-Out fries, admiring redwood trees, and quoting movies about sentient robots. Parker's critically acclaimed collection of novellas, WHERE FUTURES END, was named a best book for teens by the New York Public Library, Chicago Public Library, and Bank Street. Kirkus gave her science fiction ...more