Start by marking “Storm from the East (Glass Alliance, #2)” as Want to Read:
Storm from the East (Glass Alliance, #2)

Storm from the East

(Glass Alliance #2)

Part war drama, part romance, Storm from the East is the second novel in Joanna Hathaway’s immersive, upmarket YA fantasy series that will appeal to readers of Sabaa Tahir, Marie Rutkoski, and Evelyn Skye.

War has begun, and the days of Athan’s and Aurelia’s
Published February 11th 2020 by Tor Teen

Start your review of Storm from the East (Glass Alliance, #2)
Kat
I've been lucky enough to read book 2 of the Glass Alliance series, and I can guarantee it's even more beautiful, heartbreaking, epic, and romantic than book 1 (not to mention my fav Garrick getting more page time).
The Nerd Daily
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Kibby Robinson

Storm from the East, the second book in Joanna Hathaway’s Glass Alliance series, is a book of two parts: the slow, agonising build of war and then the break-neck twists and turns of betrayal, surrender, and loss in the war’s aftermath. Hathaway crafts a deeply intricate look into the realities of war and deftly balances hope and love within her story.

Athan and Aurelia have always been on opposite sides of the war, but never more so
Ashlee » Library In The Country
I HAVE SO MANY THINGS TO SAY.

Let me gather my thoughts and I will be back.
Rosaria Munda
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You know that delicious feeling when you finish a first book of a series, and it was amazing, but you get the spine-tingling suspicion that it was all set up for an EVEN BETTER sequel? This is that sequel. I loved Dark of the West, but Storm from the East is payoff, and ups the ante in every possible way.

The Glass Alliance series is structured like a tragedy: with the end at the beginning, a future snapshot of its two main characters after they have lost all innocence to war, but might still be
Leah
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hall-of-fame
Why is this book--this series--not on everyone's radars?! I discovered it this year and am blown away by the sheer amazing-ness that is the work of Joanna Hathaway. The second in the Glass Alliance series, Storm takes this historical romance to new heights with more turbulence than my heart can handle.

This second installment kicks off shortly after the events of the first book. Son of the General, Athan Dakar is bracing himself to enter an unsanctioned war--his first proper war--that originates
Joanna Hathaway
Sep 27, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Update 12/13/19: I've just announced the preorder campaign for Storm from the East on my website. Everyone who preorders and submits proof of purchase will receive exclusive bonus content from Dark of the West and be entered for a Grand Prize. Check out my News page for the full details!

I’m posting this little update because I have ARCs and therefore things are getting very real for Storm from the East! If you’re interested in snagging one, head on over to my Instagram (handle @spitfirewriter)
Lulai
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
-- I received this book through NetGalley against an honest review. --

I started 2019 with Joanna Hathaway and well, I started 2020 with Joanna Hathaway and this sequel.

I must admit that if you are looking for a fantasy book centered on politics, this is the saga for you. This novel presents a universe where parts of the empires has managed to free themself. Those who achieved independence are in the south and the rest are in the north. Since then, there has been a coalition between governments
michelle (magical reads)

read on my blog + see a playlist and some graphics I made for the book + a giveaway

**I received an ARC from Netgalley. These are my honest opinions, and in no way was I compensated for this review.**

I want a heart that breaks. A soft heart.

While I greatly enjoyed Dark of the West last year, I think Storm from the East greatly surpassed it. The worldbuilding and characters are fleshed out more, and truths and secrets are uncovered (still more to come, however). Storm from the East was
Joanna Bennett
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Fantastic Flying Book Club for this opportunity and thanks to the publisher for the free copy! (I received a copy for reviewing. All opinions are my own.)

I have been dreading picking this one up. The first book was a whirlwind of emotion and the second book was definitely right up there, if not more so! I could feel my eyes tearing up throughout and honestly, it gave me a book hangover. It hasn’t happened in awhile so that’s a win even if I may drown in my own sadness, ha. So, let’s
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Fantastic Flying Book Club, Netgalley, and Tor Teen for this free copy. All quotes in this review are taken from the Advanced Reader Copy and may change in final publication.

Okay why was I feeling all sorts of things while I was reading this novel? Yes, disclaimer: this is the second book so make sure you read the first one before reading this one. Thank you also to Tor
Jess ✩
this is top notch political intrigue. I will have a review coming soon because this BOOK.
Radhika
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the opening pages to the list lines, Storm of the East had me turning pages, gasping out loud and yes, even crying. Glass Alliance #2 is even better than #1, it's everything you could want in a fantasy series: revolution, romance, political intrigue and more! And of course, Hathaway's writing is as beautiful as always. I feel very lucky that I got an advance look!
Marzie
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm sure many of us remember that moment in young adulthood when you find that your parents have somehow left out important details of one sort or another about their families and lives. And in those details, one can find the complex motivations that propel adults into the decisions that form the boundaries of their lives. Storm from the East ups the level of complexity that the reader absorbed in Dark of the West, the first book in the Glass Alliance. While perhaps overly optimistic about the ...more
Jen | Jen Talks Audiobooks
Wow. I am completely in love with this series. And I did not receive it as an ARC. I got the audiobook as soon as it was out via a recommendation email from Audible.

I started this and got frustrated right away - must have been my mood - and put it aside thinking I'd just pick it up again after the whole series was completed. I'd just done a re-read of the first book in the series, Dark of the West.

But then I realised that when a book stays on your mind and you find you don't want to leave the
Iza
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Several days after finishing it and I'm still thinking about all the things that happened, the tears, the heartache, the swoons and the FEELS!

Please don't read this review if you haven't read Dark of the West first - while there won't be spoilers from Storm from the East, there might be tiny ones from Dark of the West.

Let's me just say, Dark of the West, while really good, pales in comparison next to SftE - and I devoured DotW. I sneak-read at work, glaring at people for daring to interrupt. I
Rebeca
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an early copy of this book from the author.

To be honest, I have no words. Storm from the East was amazing, an incredible gem of a book.

I love the feeling of loving a book I’ve been waiting to read for so long not only to end up loving it but to struggle with the right words to describe how much I loved it.

I waited two years to finally read the sequel to Dark of the West (one of my all time favorite books) and it was worth it.
Lots of stuff happened in this book. Part of me wanted to
Andreajanel
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The publisher and Netgalley provided me with a copy of this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I fell in love with this war-torn world in Dark of the West. It's filled with vigilantes, saviors, refugees and revolutionaries. Two young lovers are thrown into the chaos and burden of the violence surrounding them, confronting impossible choices and damning truths.

Athan and Aurelia forged a bond despite their distrust and disguises. Their love is a defiant stand against the families and forces
Gita Trelease
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Daring rebellion, beautiful friendships, dangerous family secrets, heart-breaking romance, plots behind plots and stories behind stories, all vividly rendered against an escalating story of war—what else could you ask for? This book has it all. I loved it.
Kat
Thank you to Edelweiss and Tor Teen for the opportunity to read and review the E-Arc copy of Storm of the East by Joanna Hathaway.

The second book in the Dark of the West series bring war, romance, and a revolution to a head. The family secrets are being found out and true love seems far away. It is hard to believe that Joanna Hathaway's series is for young adults. Her writing style is eloquent and she has excellent world building skills.
Monica (books_over_everything)
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
**Disclaimer: I was given a free ARC in exchange for an honest review.**

Title Storm from the East (Glass Alliance #2)

Author Joanna Hathaway

Publisher Tor Teen

Release Date February 11, 2020

Description from Amazon

War has begun, and the days of Athan’s and Aurelia’s secret, summer romance feel a world away. Led by Athan’s father, the revolutionary Safire have launched a secret assault upon the last royal kingdom in the South, hoping to depose the king and seize a powerful foothold on the continent.
Nicole N. (A Myriad of Books)
A HUGE thank you to Tor Teen for giving me a free digital copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

If you haven’t read Dark of the West, the first book in the series, there might be some *spoilers* in this review regarding previous events.

All quotes are taken from the ARC and may change in the finished copy.

“The truth won’t change…no matter how many lies we decorate it with.”

While I enjoyed the first book, I was afraid this book would suffer from the dreaded “second book syndrome.”
Anne
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is criminally underrated in my eyes and also incredibly hard to get a physical copy of for some reason (even Amazon said it would arrive between March 7- 19 to receive?!?!?)

I’m always a bit tentative when I read the sequel to a book I loved. There’s nothing worse than it being a let down. That being said, I may be biased but, I feel like it’s such a shame how overlooked this series is (how does the first book have less than a 1,000 reviews on Goodreads). I’m not sure if it’s because I’
Paige Green
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received an arc of this from the publisher. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book: Storm of the East

Author: Joanna Hathaway

Book Series: Glass Alliance Book 2

Rating: 4/5

Publication Date: February 11, 2020

Publisher: TorTeen

Recommended Age: 16+ (violence, some gore, politics, and some love)

Synopsis: Battles, revolution, and romance collide in Joanna Hathaway's stunning, World Wars-inspired sequel to Dark of the West

Part war drama, part romance, Storm from the East is the second novel
diana
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Review originally posted on My Bookish Escapades. Don't miss your chance to win 1 of 3 copies of Storm From the East!

"No one can kill the sky. No one can shrink it back down to the earth. I need to believe there are some things in this world which can’t be stolen from it. Some wild and breathless realms, too high to touch, even by war, and you are one of them—always."

I have so much love for this book. I honestly don't know what else to say.

Joanna Hathaway has a way with words. She enthralls and
Storm from the East takes the gut wrenching of Dark of the West and twist the knife a little deeper.

It’s amazing to me how in depth and extensive the world building, politics and war are in the book. I admit I sometimes get lost but always find my way back. It’s so incredibly impressive how well Joanna Hathaway has her world fleshed out. I mean how does she keep track of all this stuff, she has truly created a whole new world. As I’m reading, I forget sometimes that we are not living in this
Sam
“… the more you read, the less you want to be quiet. What’s the point in learning about the world if you can’t do a thing about it?”

Storm from the East is the sequel to Dark of the West and continues to pull strong, well-written punches.

The level of knowledge behind political machinations and war that have been lovingly inserted into this book definitely speaks of the care that the author has for these types of stories. I’m not really one for war novels and often find myself thinking “when
Cat
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Storm from the East is the absolute perfect follow up to Dark of the West, the start of a fantasy series spiraling into a situation similar to our own leading up to and during WWI and WWII. Normally World War inspired fiction follows too closely, and doesn't give life of it's own to the world, but Hathaway has found that balance, and her creation is something absolutely phenomenal. The whole aspect of the magic of monarchies failing in the face of the glory of revolution and governing yourself ...more
Jan farnworth
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Glass Alliance series is a mind field of political war fare and at the heart of it are two people who are desperately in love with each other. The harshness of the truth is neither really knows the truth about the other.In this second book the real education begins as Aurelia and Athan face the realities of this political war that their parents are waging. Their like pawns that have no idea the harshness and cruelty that war can ravage upon us. In the first book we got the geopolitics of ...more
Becca Mee
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I cannot say enough about the Glass Alliance series. Joanna Hathaway delivered a heck of a debut with Dark of the West, and she delivers all that and more in Storm from the East. Storm finds my beloved Athan and Ali separated by war and distance. Athan goes headfirst into a war he doesn't know if he believes in while struggling with the secrets he keeps from the girl he loves. Ali travels to her mother's homeland, where she finds herself right in the middle of the war Athan fights. As she tries ...more
Belle Ellrich
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Do y’all know those sequels that manage to transcend their previous work? Storm from the East was this sequel.

This series is structured to have the end at the beginning and the beginning at the end. It shines a light on the main characters once they’ve lost everything but the small shred of love that might still be active, and it pulls from us surprise and an unexpected liking to this unusual setup.

As the politics were set up in the last book, this one is solely focused on bringing to life the

• All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Belle Révolte
  • Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)
  • The Seventh Sun
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Rogue Princess
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Weight of a Soul
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • Every Other Weekend
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • The Gravity of Us
Joanna was born in Montréal and is an avid storyteller who was inspired to write after reading her great-grandfather’s memoirs of the First World War. A lifelong history buff, she now has shelves filled with biographies and historical accounts, and perhaps one too many books about pilots. She can often be found reading, traveling, or riding horses.

Her debut novel, DARK OF THE WEST (Tor Teen,

Glass Alliance (3 books)
  • Dark of the West (Glass Alliance, #1)
  • Untitled (Glass Alliance #3)