Start by marking “96 Miles” as Want to Read:
96 Miles

96 Miles

Dad always said if things get desperate, it’s okay to drink the water in the toilet. I never thought it would come to that. I thought I’d sooner die than let one drop of toilet water touch my lips. Yet here I am, kneeling before a porcelain throne, holding a tin mug for scooping in one hand, and my half-gallon canteen in the other.

The Lockwood brothers are supposed to be
Published February 11th 2020 by Starscape

To ask other readers questions about 96 Miles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 96 Miles

Start your review of 96 Miles
Ms. Yingling
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus'

John and Stew Lockwood are trying to get from their home in Nevada to the along state route 318 after the power has gone out. Their father, a survival prepper, had food and water saved up, but that was stolen, and their father is out on the road and can't get back home. They have friends at Brighton Rnach (a tortoise ranch!) 96 miles away, and the boys are determined to walk there. While they are getting water out of a toilet in a house, they run into Cleverly
Brennetta
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the characters and the revelations we found out along their journey. I wondered constantly if I would be able to walk one more step. And understood why the boys did what they did.

This was such an easy read with some deep moments and situations to ponder. I would recommend for any reader 8+ but it is written for the MS age
Darla
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A tale of two brothers filled with peril. The stakes are high and I was riveted as these two boys struggle to reach their goal. When you have a vehicle, 96 miles is easy. Try covering that distance on foot in the heat, on a deserted highway, with water from a toilet that has to be boiled. There is much more to their story, but I will leave you to discover that on your own. Ever trained for a marathon? You can start to imagine the mental anguish that these boys endure. As a runner, I could ...more
Jessie_Book
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
I really wish there was more to the ending.

I almost want to give this book 2 stars just because of how deceiving it seems. I thought I would be reading a book about two brothers surviving in the desert, experiencing hardship and growing closer. But there is another pair of siblings involved that are not mentioned in the synopsis and the brothers hardly talk to each other throughout the book. Also the cover only has the brothers when a second pair of siblings has an equally big role in the story.
Cheryl
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sometimes even to live is an act of courage. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Two young brothers living on a remote ranch in Nevada must take care of themselves when the power goes out across the country (not an EMP but a long-lasting blackout). Their father is out-of-state when this happens so they truly are on their own.

Their father is a survivalist prepped but that doesn't help when the boys are robbed. They must now get themselves across hot, dry desert to hopefully find that help.

I enjoyed this
Aoife
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, 2020e, 2020arc
John and Stew are home alone while their father is out of town on business. So far, so normal. But it means he's missing when the biggest blackout is history hits, taking out power for the whole state and maybe beyond. Now John finds himself in charge of his recalcitrant brother and two tagalongs as they try to reach help in time.

I know a bit about survival tactics (armchair interest, I don't own survival gear or supplies, please don't raid my house) and I have to agree, on one topic, with minor
LaNae
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One sign of a good book is one that keeps me turning pages long after the point at which my head should be hitting the pillow. This book checked a lot of boxes for me.
•Memorable first sentence & paragraph that immediately drew me into the story and made me laugh.
•Fresh take on the disaster trope
•Middle grade book with a broad appeal that assumes intelligence of the reader. In fact It’s in good company with some of my favorite books in that regard.
•Inspired by one of my favorite albums by
SheReadsandWrites
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Genie
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The book 96 miles is a book that made me think and also made me start to make some of my own plans. John and Stuart find themselves in the middle of a massive blackout. Although their father had left them fully stocked with all the supplies they would need to survive for weeks, if not months they soon found out that untrustworthy people in their community stole everything they would need to survive.
With their dad not able to return from his business trip they find themselves on the move, 96
Rani
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to win an advanced reader's copy of the book. Even though this is considered a middle school aged book, as an adult, I did not want to put it down! This tale of survival follows two young boys raised by a hard-core, self-reliance prepper, as they are left alone during an extensive black out. After living weeks on their own, they are eventually robbed of their supplies and set out to find help. In this novel, we see the good, the bad, and the ugly side of desperate times when ...more
Debbie Tanner
This very compelling dystopian future book is about John and Stew, brothers who live in Nevada. Their dad has gone away on a business trip and their neighbors are planning to keep an eye on them. Then the power goes out. And when it doesn't come back, people start to get desperate. John and Stew's dad has prepared carefully but when John and Stew are robbed at gunpoint, they decide they need to make their way to some friends' house, 96 miles away. I thought this one was terrific!
Bonnie
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What would you do to survive? Drink water from the toilet? Everything grabbed me in this book: the difficult disaster setting in the hot desert without food or water, the conflict between the brothers and their relationship, the exploration of how people would respond to others in this type of scenario, and the grit of kids rising to face difficult challenges. A great older middle-grade story that boys and girls will both enjoy reading.
Jana
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I couldn’t put it down and pretty much read it all in one sitting. The writing is funny, gripping, and intense, and there were several twists that I didn’t see coming. I can’t wait to let my daughters read it next. They will love it too!
Julie
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read this with a glass of water nearby!
Very realistic.
No language or ‘romance’ to keep it from middle schoolers.
Andrea
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome story! It's about survival, getting along with family and others around us, family love and adventure. Our friend and guitar teacher wrote it. Fast moving, Very clean young adult read :)
Amelia
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling from page one. I love a good story that keeps me hooked, genuine characters, and good writing. Esplin delivers on all three.
Angela
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Two brothers embark on a perilous journey across 96 miles of desert toward their only hope: the Ranch - a safe place - after a worldwide blackout leaves them homeless, and stripped of the survival stockpile their father once had set aside for them. Can the two squabbling brothers overcome their differences and survive? Or will it be the very thing that tears them apart?

Perfect for fans of Gary Paulsen's "Hatchet," 96 Miles is a story of survival, adventure and the resilient, sometimes unstable
Nancy
Apr 14, 2019
Gina
Apr 28, 2019
J.L. Esplin
Jul 01, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
OwlCrate Jr
Summer
Jan 01, 2020
Sharon Rose
Jan 04, 2020

• A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • The Unteachables
  • When I Was You
  • New Kid
  • Solstice
  • Always Greener
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • Some Kind of Courage
  • Shiloh (Shiloh, #1)
  • Watch Us Rise
  • The Winter Duke
  • The Sky is Mine
  • Strongheart: Wonder Dog of the Silver Screen
  • Bob
  • War Stories
  • Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co. #1)
  • Playing Atari with Saddam Hussein