Start by marking “Echoes Between Us” as Want to Read:
Echoes Between Us

Echoes Between Us

Published January 14th 2020 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Echoes Between Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Echoes Between Us

GENRE: YA Romance
THEMES & TROPES: Alcoholism, Addiction, Illness
RATING: 5 Stars
CLIFFHANGER: No

What a pleasant surprise this story turned out to be! And so unlike any other I've read recently! This story took twists and turns I didn't see coming and had my head spinning. I'm new to Katie McGarry's books but now I'm eager to read more!

At first glance Sawyer is the typical popular guy in school. Good-looking,
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
4.5 Stars!

When you open one of McGarry's books, you not only know you are going to get one heck of a story but you know it will be one that will be filled with emotions and one that more often than not, will rock you to your core. Will change you in ways you didn't even know a story could do.

And like all her books, this was filled with romance, heart ache, happiness, friendships, love, and with it being something different, ghosts.

Like it's counter novel, Only a Breath Apart, Echoes Between Us
Kris (frantic4romantic)
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was everything I didn’t know I wanted.

I consider Katie McGarry one of my favorite authors, so I was really grateful I got a chance to get an advanced copy of her upcoming book, Echoes Between Us, through NetGalley.

One super popular guy, one extra quirky girl — two very complicated stories.

Sawyer is your stereotypical cool guy. Cool friends, suave attitude, star athlete. He works hard at keeping up that facade, because his life is anything but perfect.

Veronica is the carefree weirdo
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
4 stars

I love this author and I couldn't wait to start this one.I find it interesting and unique.The beginning was a little bit slow for my taste but soon when it picks up , it was very good!

Both characters intrigued me from the beginning! Sawyer and Veronica have a great relationship, I feel these two were perfect.They grow together through the story.I find them sweet and cute!

Overall, it was a great read.

Jennifer Kyle
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 GHOST Stars ...more
Cassie
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book will forever hold a special place in my heart and I’m so blessed to have read this early, but to also just read it in general.

This story follows our two main characters as they both struggle with a lot of obstacles in their life.

Veronica, or V, has a brain tumor, which causes her terrible migraines. She also sees her mom’s ghost, because her mom died from her own brain tumor. Veronica is also really close with her dad, which is something that I related to and loved seeing their
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
3.5/ 5 stars

Echoes Between Us is a standalone Young Adult contemporary novel.

This book is contemporary. It has romance. It also has a paranormal aspect (view spoiler).

I have read and enjoyed previous books by this author. So I was very excited when I saw that she had a new book coming out.

The book alternates between the male and female POV of two high school seniors (Veronica and Sawyer). At the beginning of Sawyer's chapters we have snippets of a diary
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had such a good time with this book! It has been years since I last picked up Katie McGarry's work but I knew that I had to give this book a try. Once I picked this book up, I couldn't stop reading and ended up spending most of the day cuddled under a throw with this book in my hand. I can't think of a better way to spend the day. This was one of those books that you just don't want to put down. I am really glad that I decided to
Richelle Robinson
* I received a review copy from Bookish First and voluntarily provided an honest review*

So after reading the blurb I decided to give this book a chance. Not going to lie when I first started reading this book I struggled. I had a hard time connecting to the story. Even though the story is told in Sawyer and Veronica's point of views I felt like they were both the same person and their personality really didn't show at first.

Honestly, I thought about dnfing the book but something told me to keep
Renee (The B-Roll)
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Literally, as soon as I saw a synopsis for this book on BookishFirst I knew that I had to read this one either early or when it comes out (Jan 2020). I fell head over heels in love with the setting (my lovely home state of Kentucky!), the overarching storyline, and the apparent sweet romance that blooms between enemies/unlikely friends. Not to mention, the cover art for this book is gorgeous and just kept pulling me in.

This book is set in a small town in Kentucky somewhere near Lexington and
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to BookishFirst and Tor/Forge Books for my advanced copy of Echoes Between Us by Katie McGarry!

I do not read a lot of young adult contemporary because as a 30 something year old, I can never identify with the characters or stories, and I am SO HAPPY to say that this is not the case with this amazing book.

First I just want to comment on the location: I originally thought that the book took place in Saranac Lake because of the TB hospital and note up front, but there is a portion
Olivia Wildenstein
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was beautifully written. It was the first time I've read McGarry (even though I own so many of her books) and definitely not the last time.

The characters were fleshed out and it was easy to grow attached to them. I particularly liked Veronica. She was different and quirky, and strangely enough, emotionally endearing even though she wasn't a reliable character due to her illness.

The romance with Sawyer was sweet and added an uplifting touch to an otherwise pretty sad story.

I think
Madison
As a devoted Katie McGarry fan I was a little worried when this book was marketed as a breakout novel and a move into a new genre. I shouldn’t have worried. Echoes Between Us is everything a Katie McGarry novel always is - heartbreaking, emotional, addictive, thrilling and romantic- with ghosts. It’s actually not much different from its companion novel Only A Breath Apart, which introduced a touch of the supernatural to the main story of family complexity and romance. Echoes Between Us ...more
Madison
Lindsay (pawsomereads)
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Echoes Between Us follows the story of Veronica and Sawyer as they navigate the hardships in their lives that eventually bring them together. Veronica has a brain tumor that causes her to see the ghost of her mother and Sawyer has all of the responsibilities of a parent watching over his little sister after his own parents divorced.
This book wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but in the best way. It covers so many different genres and topics in such a compelling story told through
Fernanda Granzotto
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it

*Thks Netgalley and publisher for e-arc of this book for a honest review. All opinions are my own*

This book has so many layers that is difficult to talk about it without spoil something,so I decide do talk about what is in the book and how I felt about it.

Veronica- I really like her,she is a very strong character that have very strong believes that make her annoying sometimes,but at the same time I like to read how she fought for what she believe was right.

Saywer- I just love him, he is a truth
Stacy Fetters
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
"The only time I live is when I'm with you."

I'm no stranger when it comes to ghosts or the paranormal. I've had my fair share of occurrences with ghostly beings and it's quite the picnic when they come around. Recently, I had a ghost follow a friend and me as we were walking and it started to whistle. But when we turned around, no one was there. These occurrences happen quite often and they never get easier to deal with. But do you believe? Veronica is a believer and she may change your mind.

Sara (A Gingerly Review)
What an achingly beautiful story. This is one that will stay with me for a long, long time.

Huge thanks to the publisher for trusting me with an arc. Frtc.
A Book Vacation
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!
Dee/ bookworm
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-2019
Publisher synopsis: Echoes Between Us is bestselling author Katie McGarry’s breakout teen contemporary novel about a girl with everything to lose and the boy who will do anything to save her.

Veronica sees ghosts. More specifically, her mother's ghost. The afterimages of blinding migraines caused by the brain tumor that keeps her on the fringes and consumes her whole life haunt her, even as she wonders if it's something more...

Golden boy Sawyer is handsome and popular, a state champion swimmer,
Michelle
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dyslexic, tumor, migraines
My full review can be found on the Epilie Aspie Chick blog!

Thank you to Tor Teen for providing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This story is everything! Veronica and Sawyer may be totally different people, but the unfolding of their connection shows just how much we are all the same inside. If that's not enough, they also find this incredible way to support and see the true versions of each other everyone else misses. It's an incredible book that I know is going to stick with me a long
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, Frontlist, via Edelweiss+ for an honest review.

If you feel like crying, you’ve come to the right place.

description

“The only reason people come to live in this small town is to hide or die.”

Veronica has always been labeled as the weird girl in school. Surrounded by her group of misfit boys, and always doing the opposite of what is to be expected, rumors and cruel words have always found their way to her ears. But Veronica doesn’t care what the
Joanna Bennett
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I started reading this one after a much needed break from fantasy. Don’t get me wrong, I love fantasy but sometimes I just need to find myself immersed in another genre. This book was definitely different than what I thought it would be. It wasn’t in a bad way and I did find myself liking it for the most part but like most other books, I did have a few issues while reading through it.

Veronica is an interesting character. She dresses differently and also sees ghosts. She also is dealing with a
Amy
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When it comes to Young Adult novels, Katie McGarry is my go-to author. So, when I heard about Echoes Between Us, I just knew I had to get my hands on it. I mean, have you seen the cover for this book? It is just stunning!! I took one look at it and knew this book was going to be a winner and I was not disappointed.

Echoes Between Us follows the story of Veronica and Sawyer. Veronica is the unique outsider. She’s considered weird or strange by most. However, there is more to her than meets the
Joanna E.Lopez
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will be there for you as the world falls down.

Sawyer moves into the first floor of Veronica's dad's house with his mother and sister. Sawyer's father has left his mother and gives her a divorce. Sawyer and Veronica go to the same High school however, they run in different social circles. Sawyer is the popular, great-looking jock and Veronica is the "freak" weirdo With own clique of friends. Sawyer and Veronica only speak to each other when Sawyer breaks social circle norms and decides to
Roger Hyttinen
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Because of the blurb, I went into this thinking that it was going to be a YA paranormal, given that it follows our main character Veronica who has the ability to see ghosts, specifically the spirit of her recently deceased mom. But I’d classify Echoes Between Us more as a hard-hitting contemporary romance as the paranormal aspect of the story is secondary to the other themes.

Now a good portion of Veronica’s life is consumed by a well-kept secret: she has a brain tumor – the same kind that killed
Yolanda
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**Review will be posted on my blog http://pastmidnight.home.blog on January 7, 2020, nearer to publication date.**

*4.5 stars*

Thank you to Tor Teen and NetGalley for giving me the chance to read this eARC.

After I sped through this book last night, I wondered why they didn’t release for October because it was the perfect fall read for me! Why? Because of the ghosts! The creepiness factor of this book was SO unexpected, I literally had some chills reading this late past midnight. I almost stopped
Nay Denise
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pure. Cute. Comical. Real. Heartwrenching. Perfection. I adored this story. Need a moment to gather my thoughts. Full review to come.

----------------------------------

Received an ARC from the publisher for review.

This was by far a shockingly good story. I always go into contemporaries with out much of an expectation. Granted, I do find that I love Katie McGarry's writing and how she writes YA contemporaries. This story was real with the issues it focused, relatable with the family dynamics,
Suzanne (The Bookish Libra)
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Slyth
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Veronica, who also goes by V, is the MC we follow as she enters her senior year of high school. Though she does not imagine much after that because she has a brain tumor, like her mother did. Her mother's spirit is still present at their home, which comforts Veronica. Her father Ulysses is unaware of her spirit: so Veronica bases her senior thesis on proving spirits/ghosts exists so when she passes, her dad will be able to see both her and her mother and know he's not alone.

Then there's Sawyer:
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Bookish First Rea...: Echoes Between Us by Katie McGarry 6 7 Dec 01, 2019 02:16PM
KATIE MCGARRY was a teenager during the age of grunge and boy bands and remembers those years as the best and worst of her life. She is a lover of music, happy endings, and reality television, and is a secret University of Kentucky basketball fan.

Katie would love to hear from her readers. Contact her via her website, katielmcgarry.com, follow her on Twitter @KatieMcGarry, or become a fan on

• Jane Anonymous
  • Song of the Crimson Flower
  • Remembrance
  • Saint X
  • Throw Like a Girl
  • Tweet Cute
  • You’re Not Listening: What You’re Missing and Why It Matters
  • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
  • The Janes (Alice Vega #2)
  • The Map from Here to There (The Start of Me and You, #2)
  • The Weight of a Soul
  • Every Other Weekend
  • The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
  • How to Speak Boy
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • The God Game