Start by marking “When I Was You” as Want to Read:

When I Was You

A stolen identity leads a woman down a dark and desperate path in a gripping novel of psychological suspense by Wall Street Journal bestselling author Minka Kent.

Expected publication: February 1st 2020 by Thomas & Mercer

Availability: 100 copies available, 2905 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 02 - Jan 31, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about When I Was You, please sign up.
    Lesa No. And you'll know what is really going on about a third of the way in.

Start your review of When I Was You
    Dita
    Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Go to the police, go to the police, go to the police.

WTF is wrong with you? Go to the police.
    Paige
    Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: mystery-thriller
    This is a light thriller. The first part, which is Part 1 for Brienne, moved slower than the rest of the novel. This first part last from 1%-41% (on a Kindle) and caused the beginning to drag. It's her repeating constantly how she is scared and how she wants to confront the person who took her identity but never acts upon it...other than that she only talks about how she thinks her roommate is cute. So, that made it repetitive and draining. Also, there were several obvious clues dropped during ...more
    Cassie-Traveling Sister-
    What did I just read??? Oh my gosh this book had me at the edge of my seat. I didn’t know who to trust or believe! Brienne Dougray was attacked while leaving work barely surviving her attack she’s now afraid to leave her home or talk to anyone. She decides to rent out a room upstairs in her home to the handsome Dr Niall Emberlin. She soon finds herself relying on him and his friendship as she heals from emotional and physical wounds. When she receives a key in the mail for an apartment she ...more
    Monnie
    Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I read a ton of pre-release books, and when I get them gratis or at low cost from publishers, I figure I owe it to my benefactors to finish them no matter what. And if I've learned one thing over many years and many more books, it's that I'm right to not be too hasty to call it quits.

Such is the case with this book, which I got through Amazon's First Reads program. Somewhere around the 10% mark, I was ready to call it a day. The main character, Brienne Dougray, depicts the kind of woman who, for
    Myla
    Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    "𝐼𝒻 𝐼'𝓂 𝑔𝑜𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝑜 𝒻𝒾𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈 "𝑜𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝓂𝑒," 𝒾𝒻 𝐼'𝓂 𝑔𝑜𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝑜 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒷𝒶𝒸𝓀 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉'𝓈 𝓇𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝒻𝓊𝓁𝓁𝓎 𝓂𝒾𝓃𝑒, 𝐼 𝓃𝑒𝑒𝒹 𝓉𝑜 𝒽𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶 𝒸𝓁𝑒𝒶𝓇 𝒽𝑒𝒶𝒹. 𝐼 𝓃𝑒𝑒𝒹 𝓉𝑜 𝒷𝑒 𝒸𝒶𝓁𝓂. 𝐼 𝓃𝑒𝑒𝒹 𝓉𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝑜𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓇𝑒𝒶𝒸𝓉."

This book was nothing like I read before. The premise is simple, a woman got brutally attacked resulting in some memory loss but with each turn of the page, things get more and more mysterious. Characters are well developed and these people are not always what they seem. The most compelling part for me was the way the story was
    Bella
    Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Kent’s new thriller is gripping from the very first chapter, as Brienne – who tells the story in the first person – recounts the story of her trauma in painful detail. In the audiobook version, narrator Erin deWard successfully captures Brienne’s vulnerability and paranoia without ever becoming whiny.

The vulnerability earned in those early pages creates significant narrative momentum that will propel many readers to finish the book – which weighs in at an economical 282 pages – in just one or
    Mary  Carrasco
    Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Brienne has a good life until one day after leaving work, she is attacked. Her belongings were stolen and she was left with a traumatic brain injury. She lives in a large house that her grandparents bequeathed to her but in light of her recent trauma, she doesn't want to live there alone. She takes on a tenant. Her recovery is slow and soon strange things begin happening.

I've enjoyed a good handful of Minka Kent's novels and this was no exception. I practically read it straight through! The
    Barbara
    This was my January pick for the Amazon Prime first reads and it was an enjoyable book that moved along with good pace and seemed to break some of the 'rules' of suspense by revealing the 'why' of the manipulation before the book was half done. It's much more typical to have to hang on right to the end to figure out why baddies are baddies and why they're up to no good.

The start is rather abrupt and we're presented with a back story of why Brienne finds herself lonely and friendless after an
    PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
    What a wild, twisty ride. Amazon First Reads are often duds, so I was excited to finally find a winner. WHEN I WAS YOU is one of those thrillers that’s actually hold-your-breath thrilling. After a slow part one, the pace galloped from WTF-just-happened to WTF-was-that page after page.

WHEN I WAS YOU is unique in plot and character, with engaging writing and unpredictability. I look forward to reading more from Minka Kent.
    Books 'n' All  Promotions
    Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Minka Kent is a very talented author. I have read a few of her previous books so was looking forward to this one which I received as a Kindle First.

I got about 30% in and thought I knew where this was going but then everything changed and I found myself turning page after page to find out what happened next. A brilliant adrenaline pumping page-turner.

Brienne was brutally attacked and it has left her with memory loss and severe anxiety. She is financially loaded with more money than she could
    Tammie
    Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
    After barely surviving a brutal attack, Brienne Dougray rarely leaves her house. Suffering from debilitating headaches and memory loss, she can rely only on her compassionate new tenant, Dr. Niall Emberlin, a welcome distraction from the discomfiting bubble that has become her existence.

But Brienne’s growing confidence in her new routine is shaken when she stumbles across unsettling evidence that someone else is living as…her. Same name. Same car. Same hair. Same clothes. She’s even friended
    Flo Grugel
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Really enjoyed this!
    It was one of those thrillers that took you on a journey with no crazy plot twists or storylines that you dont understand. It was just a great solid story with a unique and crazy storyline!
    Darcia Helle
    This book tries to be something much more sinister than straightforward identity theft, but the abundant plot holes and implausibility ruined it for me.

The writing itself is engaging. I was initially intrigued by the situation, and I wanted to know more about Brienne. But we really don't learn much about her at all, aside from what's necessary for the plot.

The major twist is like a train coming at you with its horn wailing. It's easy to see coming from early on.

Pacing is slow for the first third
    Jennifer Oslowski
    Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Another great one from Minka Kent! I have been a fan of this author since her debut "The Memory Watcher".

After Brienne's attack and her return from the hospital,, she is afraid to leave her house and becomes somewhat agoraphobic. When she receives a key in the mail from Harcourt Property Group and informed that it is for the 1 bedroom apartment she rented, she is floored. Why on earth would she rent an apartment when she owns her own house? Fear starts to set in and she needs answers. Enter her
    Ga Books LoverX
    Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Are you looking for an edgy suspenseful thriller? When I Was You is EXACTLY what you are looking for! Minka Kent's books are always a good read, but this one really takes the cake in how freaking good it was. It has the reader feeling as if they have what is happening all figured out to have something happen that completely changes EVERYTHING. What a freaking amazing bomb it was too!

I can't say much because spoilers aren't cool and anything I say will give something away. Just know if you like
    Michael David
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This was a suspenseful book, although it didn't really pick up until "part two". Fast paced and mysterious enough to make you want to continue after each chapter. Minka Kent is an excellent author, and I'm glad I chose this as an Amazon First Read.
    RedRedtheycallmeRed
    Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I have to say that the Kindle First picks have gotten better over time, it used to be that I skipped more of them than I read. In the last few months I've read some really great books, so I hope it continues. I immediately picked this book because I've read this author before and all of the books have been good.

I was feeling smug that I'd worked out what was going on (I hadn't), but then I thought that the author surely wouldn't make it that obvious (she didn't). Nothing is quite what it seems,
    Lydia Hephzibah
    if you're after a quick, easy read without much believability, character development or accuracy, this is the book for you. predictable, but did keep me reading to see if it could redeem itself. it did not.
    Jen
    Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I really liked this book- I found it to be fast paced and interesting, with some twists throughout. It focuses on Brienne, who suffered a traumatic attack some time back and now lives with fear as well as debilitating headaches. She takes in a renter, a doctor named Niall, to keep her company, and develops a crush on him. In the meantime, she finds out that there is another person in her same city with her exact name, and worries that someone has stolen her identity, but no one will take her ...more
    MK ( Makayla)
    My brain still hurts ...

What did I just read ! From start to finish I was anxiously trying to figure out WHAT IN THE HECK WAS HAPPENING ?? I honestly didn't know who to trust and the way that the author wrote this was to leave the reader oblivious to what was going on . My heart was racing even as I closed the book ! I've never been so impressed by this genre of book before ! Highly recommend it !

Content :
    Minimal language
    Mentions of "makeup sex "
    Woman kisses man who is seperated from his wife
    Leslie
    Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This kept me on the edge of my seat and wanting to keep reading to see what happened next the entire time! So many plot twists! Great book!
    Jackie D
    Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A mystery with twisted phycological turns, Minka Kent, has given us a blazing fast storyline full of intrigue, battles of minds and bodies, and souls. Enough number crunching to make your head spin and thrilling-chilling roadblocks in the reader, making them doubt their theories as to the progression of the story!
    Devoured Ms. Kent's words from cover to digital cover- left happy to find out the ending, but empty now that the crazy train is over!
    A five star read I highly recommend!
    Crystal Wojnarowski Dillon
    I found this book pretty predictable and figured it out pretty quickly.
    Murph
    Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Recommended to Murph by: Amazon First Reads
    I got this book through Amazon First Reads, which I had never tried before. I’ve also never read Minka Kent’s work, and I was less than... thrilled. I think this was meant to be in the Gone Girl style of mind fuckery, but the holes in the plotting and believability here were the size of the grand canyon, and once the twists are revealed, it loses a lot of it's intrigue. Besides the brief synopsis, I'm hiding everything below behind a spoiler wall, because I don't want to ruin anything for anyone ...more
    Cari
    When I Was You by Minka Kent was my Kindle first read selection #1 for the month of January 2020...

Oh my, my, MY; this book was fun. I absolutely love books that make you question the reliability and sanity of the narrator, especially when they are so engrossing that you get kind of sucked into a sort of wormhole of paranoia and distrust, until you're no longer sure you can even trust yourself as the reader. Don't you just love that!?

When I Was You is about a terrified young woman named
    Patricia King
    Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Minka Kent, author

I moved through this thrilling novel at a rapid pace. I have never been disappointed by this author. Her books are always so enjoyable and edge of the seat for me. One chapter led to another, as I had to find out what happened next. It presented with great character development and I enjoyed the fast paced story-line. It seemed to flow effortlessly.

Brienne Dougray has definitely not had the life of roses, although, some would think so. Born to a mother with an
    Dani
    Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    "In the end, it’ll all be okay. And if it isn’t okay, it isn’t the end".

It was a slow start but I settled in and s*** got crazy.
    At 34% I'm confused as hell.
    at 35% I'm in shock.
    At 37% my heart is breaking.
    At 42% did that just happen.....
    I can feel the assumed betrayal bubbling up inside but I push it back down because I'm not sure what's happening and I'm no where near finish but my anxiety is through the roof people! Brienne went through hell after surviving an attack that almost killed her and
    Leah Jackson
    Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Gripping plot, weak character development

The main character spends much of part 1 coping with internal struggles and anxiety. The author doesn't handle this section as well as the remainder of the book, making it hard to identify with the main character. This is frustrating because Brienne should be a sympathetic, relatable character. But as written, I found her fears frustrating and her weakness... weak.
    That said, the plot was gripping and kept me reading beyond my frustrations with the
    Katie Doolin
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I really enjoyed this book. Although it was a little predictable. I figured out early on what was going on, I just didn’t know why. I wanted to know why, which kept me reading and intrigued.

I didn’t like that there was a huge lead up to the ending and it kind of fell flat. I think it had the intention of being an exciting thriller, but moved too quickly and didn’t resolve HOW a lot of things actually happened.

All in all it was a good, quick read but could use some work on the mysterious parts.
    Carey S.
    Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    My Recommendation

A year ago, Brienne Dougray is assaulted, robbed, and stabbed, and left in an alley. She survives the assault and as a result, she is now experiencing PTSD, OCD, and nightmares. Her close friends recommend that she get a housemate/tenant so she feels safer, and she advertises for one. She finds a physician to rent one of her rooms. Shortly after Dr. Niall Emberlin moves in, her friends disappear from her life. She wonders why, but never bothers to ask them about it. She just

• Thief River Falls
    • Hate the Game (Love Games #1)
    • Unspeakable Things
    • Park Avenue Player
    • Last Day
    • The Santa Trial: A Christmas Short
    • The Good Patient
    • Criss Cross (Alex Cross, #27)
    • The Shadows We Hide (Joe Talbert, #2)
    • Yours: A Virgin Romance
    • 17.5 Cartridges in a Pear Tree, A Maizie Albright Star Detective "Between Cases" Holiday Novella (Maizie Albright Star Detective, #5)
    • Talk Dirty, Cowboy (Dirty Cowboy, #1)
    • Coming Home (Haven, Montana #4)
    • Almost Like Being In Love
    • Meditate on This (Love Hurts, #3)
    • Boss's Baby: A Fake Fiance Romance
    • At All Cost
    • Address For Murder (A Mail Carrier Cozy Mystery #2)
    “It never fails to amaze me all the things people do when they think no one’s watching, the things they think they can get away with.” 0 likes