Start by marking “Anna K.: A Love Story” as Want to Read:
Anna K.: A Love Story

Anna K.: A Love Story

Meet Anna K. At seventeen, she is at the top of Manhattan and Greenwich society (even if she prefers the company of her horses and Newfoundland dogs); she has the perfect (if perfectly boring) boyfriend, Alexander W.; and she has always made her Korean-American father
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about Anna K., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anna K.

Start your review of Anna K.: A Love Story
TL
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won this via goodreads giveaways in exchange for an honest review. All my opinions are my own.
----

Pure escapism fun:) Sometimes you just want to turn off your brain and go with it.

Bethany
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I suspect this is going to be a very polarizing book...

This modern YA retelling of Anna Karenina is what I would call The Goldfinch meets Gossip Girl, but with awareness of racism and privilege, not to mention a much more diverse cast of characters. It is smart, darkly tragic, but manages to end on a bittersweet note. This is a book that will make you feel things and leave you thinking, regardless of whether you love it or hate it. Set among super-elite teens of Manhattan, we enter a world
Em
Jan 15, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
good thing I got a $50 barnes and nobles gift card for Christmas or I'd be in debt with all these new releases
julianna ➹
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diverse-to-read, drc
guys this book stressed me out
This is both about 1) rich people, a subject I absolutely adore in young adult novels, and 2) has so many diverse characters!
Kimberly Lin
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this ARC from a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you very much Goodreads and Flatiron Books for this opportunity.

I have not read the original Anna Karenina (or any of the originals of retellings), so I didn't know what to expect. Now that I have finished reading, I think I might want to read the original. This book is very dramatic, highly unrelatable, and unrealistic, but at the same time very entertaining.

I really liked how the characters matured and grew from the beginning to the end. This
S
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really easy way of learning the story of Anna Karenina without reading the whole thing. Fast paced and keeps you reading. Although very unrelatable and unrealistic - but that is the setting of Gossip Girl/Crazy Rich Asians. Very high drug and graphic sex, and language. Recommend 16+
Aimie
Review Coming Soon.

ARC kindly provided by Raincoast Books in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

For this review and more, check out:
Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Wattpad
Faith
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Every happy teenage girl is the same, while every unhappy teenage girl is miserable in her own special way."

ANNA K is the book I didn't know I needed until I heard it was happening. ANNA KARENINA is one of my favorite books, and all the things I loved about it in high school can be found in this updated retelling without the treatise on landowning. Essentially this is the most intellectual season of Gossip Girl you can imagine. I knew from hearing her speak that Lee had captured the heart of
Drew
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Speedy, sexy, funny, and well-rounded -- an excellent modern reimagining of Anna Karenina amongst the rich-kid New York/CT set. If ultimately it feels a little out of touch (such wealth, such nonsense from such young people, in this economy?!) that doesn't diminish the message that Lee drives home with her skillful twist to the ending and it doesn't diminish the solid craft of the novel as a whole.
N Grau
Jan 08, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don’t do this lol
Emily
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Breathless, unputdownable, and romantic, reminiscent of Gossip Girl in all the best ways. Loved the way the original story was reinterpreted, true to its tragic nature with just enough of a twist.
Alli Brooks
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A big thank you to Macmillan for sending me an ARC of this!

I am not familiar with the story of Anna Karenina. I'm not sure how my reading would have been effected if I had known the original fates of Anna and Count Vronsky but I can say that this reading experience has pushed me towards at least an interest in reading the source material.

Whether that happens...

description

That being said, I did really enjoy this. Within the first twenty or so pages I was sucked into the world of glitz and glam that
bookreviewer_98
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am very happy to have a chance to share my honest review with you all.

The first time I read Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy , I was stumped. I didn't get it. I couldn't cope up with the ending. I was young then and it took me a long to appreciate this great piece of literature for what it is. So if you have read Anna Karenina before then you know that it does have no happy ending. Also there are so many things to learn from one single piece of literature. When I saw this YA version of Anna
Lindsey
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Anna K, a young adult retelling of Anna Karenina, revolves around the lives of uber rich teens in NYC. I really enjoyed how closely this book followed the plot lines of the original work, but with fun contemporary twists.

Some of the dialogue between the characters was over the top ridiculous - it hasn't been that long since I've been a teenager and I'm pretty sure people don't actually talk to each other like this (then again, I've never been the child of multi=millionaires so what do I know?).
Adriana
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2020
Vera
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I won an ARC of this book through Goodreads giveaways, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Anna K. is for Anna Karenina what the movie Cruel Intentions is for Les Liaisons Dangereuses, in all the best ways possible. I absolutely love the genre of classics recast in contemporary high school settings, as well as the subset of the genre that includes excessive wealth, privilege and depravity. The comparisons to Gossip Girl are incredibly on point as well.

Although I haven't read the original Anna
Allison Van Rhee
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really, really liked this book. I’ve only ever read the first half of the OG Anna Karenina, but everyone knows how it ends so I was excited to see what Lee would do with it and I was not disappointed! I think the writing was stronger in the beginning, where it read like a 19th century Russian novel!, but by the time the style shifts to a more “general” YA voice, you’re too invested in the characters to even really notice.

This is definitely a character-heavy book and I loved every single one
Kate Grace
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Jenny Lee’s YA debut is an emotionally-charged retelling of Anna Karenina. The book follows the lives, and loves, of a cast of ultra-wealthy teenagers.

My favorite part of the book is how it speaks to the emotional intensity of being a teenager. I also love that the story acknowledges how identity formation can be complicated by intersections of race and ethnicity; social class; and gender.

However, the book first and foremost demands that you suspend your disbelief. I don’t think I ever
Traci Wilmoth
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It has been a while since I read the original Anna Karenina, but I do believe I enjoyed this one better. Though I was skeptical at first about the story being told as a YA novel, it was amazingly well done. The novel is set in New York amongst the elite and well to do high society of private school. The characters are beautifully done, and the love story of Vronsky and Anna K is just as poignant. I remember not liking Anna as much in the original, but found her a much more ...more
Vinny —☽.。* Artsy Draft
Thank you Flatiron Books for providing me with a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Amelia
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For fans of Crazy Rich Asians, teenage love stories, and great literature, Anna K is a reader’s delight. It sucks you in from the beginning, not just for Anna’s story, but for Dustin, Kimmie, Lolly, and Steven’s stories as well. The characters are believable, despite being part of the 1%, and the reader finds themselves rooting for the characters even when they’re making poor choices. The book touches on inequality and racism without being preachy, and deals with the issues of drug addiction ...more
Dana
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anna Karenina is one of my favorite classics, I make sure to re-read it once every few years. Anna K is a modern re-telling with rich high school students in NYC. I’m pretty sure if this version had been taught in school I would have grasped the story much more easily! That’ll never happen cause this version is full of sex and drugs! I’m enjoying it as a light, easy read and could totally see a “10 Things I Hate about You” “Crazy Rich Asians” mash-up movie treatment made out of this version. The ...more
Deanna Bailey
This book was so addicting and one of my favorite books I’ve read this year. The relationships between the characters, the drama, the love, the secrets, the rich and luxurious life these teenagers lived were all done in a riveting and intoxicating way. The novel stays true to Anna Karenina with multiple character perspectives, but the novel flows coherently. I squealed at the love, grabbed my heart when there was heartbreak, and cried some tears with the serious topics that were addressed. If ...more
Linda Naquin
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really great modern retelling of Anna Karenina! I really liked how well it aligned with both the novel and modern teenage problems. It was very reminiscent of Gossip Girl. I found it to be a great way to intro the classic Anna Karenina to a modern teen audience. There were a couple of changes from the source material to this modernization, but I think all were for the better and made for a great book. I enjoyed it and would definitely recommend!
Heather
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a steamy, extravagant story about NYC rich kid excess that I couldn't put down. It has a crew of diverse characters who fly to Coachella on a private plane and take lots of drugs and do obscene things with their parents' money and man, I just ate it all up. Beyond all of the privilege and wealth, though, is a story about love -- how it changes us, how it consumes us. This is an incredibly fun YA novel that I will absolutely be into as a television series when it hits HBO.
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
It seems like a huge challenge to retell one of the greatest novels of all time. However, I really enjoy contemporary fiction set in New York, and the fact that the main character is Korean-American has me intrigued. I get a To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before vibe from the synopsis, although it is being compared to Crazy Rich Asians and Gossip Girl.
rachel ☾
Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
Rhonda Lomazow
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A retelling of Anna Karenina set in todays New York City.set in the wild world of teenagers the rich spoiled world of Crazy Rich Asians.A wild ride of a read enjoyed from beginning to the end.Thanks to Goodreads & Flatiron books for my arc.
Molly
I’m a fan of tragic loves stories and Anna Karenina is favorite. I also enjoy me some over the top stories of wealth a privilege (think Gossip Girl). This was a fun, cupcake of a book that was perfect for my vacation.
Lauren
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I really don’t like YA books about snotty, spoiled, rich teenagers. I was hoping this would grow on me as I read but it didn’t. It was fine just not my style.

• Tweet Cute
  • The Second Home
  • Miss Austen
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • Riot Baby
  • Saint X
  • Oona Out of Order
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)
  • Hollywood Park