Start by marking “Monster” as Want to Read:
Monster

Monster

It takes a survivor to know a madman.

When the police need to crawl inside the mind of a monster, they call Caroline.

As a child, Caroline was abducted along with her twin sister. For over a year, their captor forced them to play his sick games, using their hunger to test the lengths they’d go to survive.

Caroline escaped. Her sister didn’t.

Now a young woman gnawed by survivo
Published April 12th 2019 by SEG Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monster

Start your review of Monster
 Reading Reindeer
MONSTER: Thirteen years ago twin girls were abducted in woods and held captive. One escaped. A tremendously twisted noir thriller with deep psychological insights and issues, and a whole host of stunning revelations
Paula  Phillips
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it

Readers will know that one of the authors that I follow and ensure that I read all she releases is Shannon Greenland or when she writes the edgier novels as S.E Green. Monster starts off with two twins who are out playing by the train tracks when they are kidnapped and then held hostage for a year. During this time the girls are subjected to torture including cannibalism as organs are cut out and then feed to each other. Caroline managed to escape but Annabel wasn't strong enough and died. Now t
Kayla Krantz
Eerie and twisted.

This was a murder mystery with a paranormal edge. When she was a child, Caroline and her twin were abducted and tortured. Years later, Caroline is called in to help with what appears to be a series of cannibalistic murders. Caroline is no ordinary survivor, her experience gave her a unique ability to connect to the murderer, so much so that she begins to suspect there’s darkness in herself. Darkness she never knew existed.

This was a great suspense novel that kept me guessing ri
Dani
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got a free copy of Monster in exchange for an honest review.

First of all, hot damn. I'm a huge fan of the Killer Instinct series, so I knew the quality of the work S.E Green writes. This book was fantastic. There was so much mystery around Caroline, the main character, and everything surrounding the new case she helps with. Caroline is such an interesting character, and I found myself desperately needing to know what was really happening, what had happened to her when she was taken with her si
Sonya
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was just okay for me. Maybe because I didn't realize this was a series of books. It was just too busy for me. It was hard to tell when Caroline was hallucinating, was actually in the moment, dreaming....it was just too much confusion for me. Perhaps if I'd read the prior books it would have made more sense to me. It didn't interest me enough to want to read the others.
Lady Delacour
This story skips
Nuttersville and goes
straight to Bizarro Land.
2.5 Uncomfortable Stars.
Listened with TTS.
Clean.
Repelling.
Mild Foul Language.

Kehley
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, thriller
Oh my god I could not put this book down! S.E. Green's plot is unique with this enthralling psychological thriller, and Caroline's knack for getting into the head of a killer is fascinating. Definitely worth the read...if you don't mind staying up half the night!
Beth
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
Ohhh this was so good! Very gory, but really quite exciting. Things happened that I guessed, but there’s a biggy at the end that I totally did not see coming. Definitely a thriller that kept my attention throughout.
Julie Rein
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
New author for me and a fabulous thriller start to finish!

Absolutely riveting reading! A psychological thriller that keeps you guessing almost to the end. But what an ending! This story has great well developed characters and is so vividly written it's like watching a movie in your head while reading! Can't wait to read the next book
♣️ Lynda ♣️
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Entertaining but just okay. Took some work to finish this book.
CR
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you don't know the amazingness that is S.E. Green then you are being left out of some amazing stories!! This is one of her adult titles and I have to say that I was engrossed from page one. This was one of those stories that you really want to see on the big screen. It has elements of Criminal Minds with the amazingness of CSI all rolled into one killer story. I loved the characters and totally loved the twists and turns. Green always has a way to surprise me with her stories. And this one wa ...more
Laurie
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Buttercupp77
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
The subject matter in this novel gets pretty dark and disturbing, so I'm not sure that I can say I found it enjoyable, exactly. What it did was keep me on the edge of my seat pretty much from cover to cover.

While Caroline is not a wholly reliable narrator as she, herself, is not always certain of which elements in her perception are reality, she is a compelling figure. The author shows her strengths and her vulnerabilities well. Furthermore, her confusion of her mental state humanizes her. I fou
NoNo JoJo
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Preface: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Monster is a unique book, between the subject matter - murder, cannibalism, and mental illness - and the style - first-person fraught with hallucinations and imagined events. It's well-written and compelling from the start, with lots of twists and turns to keep you going. The dialogue is well-crafted, especially the main psychologist's - his really shows off his educated and professionally aloof persona. The reveal at
Billie
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(This is a standalone novel and also part of the Twisted Truth Box Set)
It takes a survivor to know a madman.
When the police need to crawl inside the mind of a monster, they call Caroline.
Caroline escaped. Her sister didn’t.
Now a young woman gnawed by survivor’s guilt, Caroline’s horrific past has left her with
Erin
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Creepy thriller

Thirteen years ago eight year old twins Annabelle and Caroline were abducted from their southeastern Tennessee home. They were held captive and tortured for a year, then one was able to escape. Now Caroline assists her foster father in criminal profiling though she still bears the scars from her ordeal. Now young women are going missing and the MO is strikingly similar to that of Caroline’s abductor. Is there a connection?

So, great premise, and if you’re looking for a cozy myster
Sharon
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Uncanny. Shocking.

Definitely a book that requires a strong stomach and the willingness to delve into the minds of effin psychopaths.

Caroline begins narrating her story 13 years after a series of murders trigger memories of her and her twin sister Annabelle’s kidnapping and torture. Ultimately Caroline escaped her captors while Annabelle did not. Or did she?

Told in flashbacks and present day, there was always a sense of an unhinged presence lurking.

But Caroline, at only 21 years, is
Kylie
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hidden-gems
Monster had me hooked from the beginning. Thirteen years ago Caroline and her twin sister Annabelle are kidnapped and tortured. Caroline escaped, her sister didn't. Ever since then Caroline has had this "ability" to get into criminals minds and help the police with cases. When this current case shows signs of being the same as her abduction it takes her back into the past and what she and her sister endured.

You know how when you read books like these and you start to piece things together and th
Connie
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This author definitely knows how to put the reader through their paces – keep your imagination limber and flexed because it will not be able to outrun the plot. Though you may guess the identity of some of the more villainous characters, you will not catch them all. Get ready to unearth, literally, victim after victim, with a macabre fascination that may leaving you dry heaving from time to time. Absolutely loved this race through the serial killer mindset! Was sorry to let the dead sleep and tu ...more
Liz Burke
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is as twisted as The Silence of The Lambs. Caroline and Annabelle are twin sisters who are kidnapped when they are nine years old. After a year in captivity only one walks of the woods. Caroline goes on to become a profiler as an adult. After taking time off she's called in on a case that's similar to hers and her sisters case bringing back old forgotten memories. This story is a nail biter and page turning experience. Excellent. I can't wait for more from this author.

TI received a free cop
Sharon
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a brilliantly written dark page-turner that I loved reading. The amazing plot has lots of twists and turns that kept me guessing who the killer is. This amazing story is fast paced, and definitely not for the faint of heart due to having some triggers within it. As soon as I began reading this story, I was acutely aware that this was brilliantly written. The suspense only grew as I rapidly moved through the book. I love psychological thrillers and this one is perfect!
I received a fr
Chris Kirk
Jul 10, 2019 added it
Shelves: liked
Scarolet Ellis
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Monster by S. E. Green is a wonderful story that I have read. It kept my attentin from the very begining and I am so in love with this story can not wait to see what this new author for me to read will write next. I highly recommend this story to everyone who loves reading about suspense and thrillers in their stories.

Kristin Scearce
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a crazy psychological thriller, and I hated having to put it down at any point. I thought I knew what was going on, and then something would happen to make me second-guess myself, much like Caroline did throughout the whole story. The pacing is incredible, and I love the flashbacks interspersed throughout so we can see what Caroline went through over the years. The ending was fantastic, and I can't wait to read another of Green's twisted tales.

5 stars
Jacqueline Ellison
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was the first book I have read by S.E. Green. Caroline and her twin were kidnapped when they were children. They went through so much from being abused, starved, tortured and so much more. Caroline escaped but her twin did not. Now as an adult she has the ability to get into the killers minds. An interesting storyline that kept me intrigued. I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
Lori
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book
Wow, this book is amazing!! Sick and twisted, and truly a story that will keep you thinking,
Caroline endured something no human should have to endure. She not only survived, but has the ability to think like a serial killer. This makes her the perfect profiler.

This is the first physiological thriller I have listened to, and it is awesome. The narrator did an amazing job with the voices. I really enjoyed this story!
Cathy
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: s-e-green
Monster is twisty, interesting, and a bit disturbing. But I enjoyed it immensely.
It seems S.E. Green balances chilling and disturbing, with a very interesting story.
Caroline and her twin were abducted and tortured when they were very young...only Caroline walked away. Her life getting over the trauma, has not been easy, but she is now working with the police, profiling serial killers...a job she seems very good at.
Ava M Bartley
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book

If you like a little blood and gore. I do. Lots of psychological thrills and chills. Detailed story with several characters but pretty easy to follow them. The dialogue flows freely and smoothly. The editing is clean with very little spelling or grammatical errors. I would recommend this book to any adult that likes a mystery and psychological thriller. I will read more of this author.
Pat Eroh
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While the topic is disgusting and the book a bit graphic, this story had me on the edge of my seat! It was well-written and kept me guessing to the end about who was involved! The voice of the main character was perfectly written to convey how the character must have felt. Do not miss this book!

Tanya
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Her twin and her had been abducted and made to play sick games and worse to survive. Her twin did not escape but she did. Now she suffers with the guilt. She helps the police but her next case is too close to home. What is going on? Will it destroy her? See how she gets on

« previous 1 3 next »

• The Boy in the Barn
  • I Am Elle
  • A Lullaby In The Dark (Detective Kate Covington #1)
  • The Girls They Stole (The Auction Trilogy #1)
  • His Wife's Sister
  • Elle Returns: The Sequel: A Psychological Thriller
  • Silence of the Whippoorwill
  • The Girl Who Played With The Ouija Board
  • Ultimate Sacrifice: A Dark Teen Suspense
  • The Girls They Lost (The Auction Trilogy #2)
  • The Girl Who Went Nowhere
  • The Suicide Killer (Killers Among Book 2)
  • The Perfect Nanny: A Gripping Psychological Thriller That Will Have You At The Edge Of Your Seat
  • Elle Unleashed: A Gripping Psychological Thriller with a Twist
  • Girl on a String
  • Believe Like a Child
  • My Better Half: A gripping psychological thriller
  • Cold Truth (Ellie Kline #1)
Things you should know about me: I write novels! Some have won awards. Others have been bestsellers. Under Shannon Greenland (my real name) you’ll find spies, adventure, and romantic suspense. Under S. E. Green (my pen) you’ll find dark and gritty fiction about serial killers, cults, secret societies that do bad things, and whatever else my twisted brain deems to dream up. I’m on Instagram, Twitte ...more