Start by marking “Not Write Now: A How-Not-To Guide for Writing Fiction” as Want to Read:
Not Write Now: A How-Not-To Guide for Writing Fiction

Not Write Now: A How-Not-To Guide for Writing Fiction

You’ve read all the self-publishing pep talks.

Your book still isn’t published. Or finished.

So why not try a different approach?

Not Write Now isn’t like any book on writing you’ve read before. It won’t tell you to get your hiney in the chair and write. It will tell you to do the exact opposite.

Acclaimed fantasy author Kyle Robert Shultz launches a reverse-psychology attack
Published April 30th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Not Write Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Write Now

Start your review of Not Write Now: A How-Not-To Guide for Writing Fiction
Deborah O'Carroll
This book is BRILLIANT and HILARIOUS and all writers should read it. XD

Reverse psychology writing advice, laced throughout with humor (I mean, naturally, given the subject and the author), and totally inspiring in a completely surprising way. I've no idea how it worked so well, but it's genius and so enjoyable!

(My favorite is the chapter about how the author tried to "defeat" Nick and Cordelia by writing their story. It did not . . . go well. XD)

Lots of good advice, disguised as non-advice, an
Christine Smith
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The short version of this review: If you're a writer, starved for motivation, and like to laugh, YOU NEED THIS BOOK.

It’s an entire writing self-help book trying to convince you to not be a writer. Yep, just the book we all need. I mean, why would you ever want to be one of those insane author people? We’re adults who think it’s still okay to have imaginary friends. We spend hours at a time staring at blinking cursors on the screen and downing gallons of coffee hoping the caffeine will magically
Joseph Leskey
Well, if you want a book that happens to be like this one, this is the one to read. As some Anglophone in Spain might have said only yesterday, fact is fact, and I, in total agreement, will add that fact as a collective model of the several integral parts of reality includes the simple, unrefined truth that Kyle Robert Shultz is as incredible at writing nonfiction as he is at writing fiction. Which really is very good of him, because that means I was able to enjoy reading this book.

First off, I
Hufflepuff Book Reviewer
Not Write Now is fun, tongue in cheek, satirical nonfiction written in the hilariously signature style of my favorite indie author. I found the sections about Nick and Cordelia haunting poor Shultz particularly hilarious. I will say, though, that I struggled to constantly remind myself that Shultz was supposed to be the narrator—because I kept imaging Malcolm narrating and waiting for him to call me a “pathetic non-dragon.”

Buried amid the ongoing satire is quite a bit more depth and food-for-th
C.O. Bonham
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my this is a book that I didn't know I needed. I have been trying for so long to give up writing. Everytime I try to not create, words will insist on appearing in a word document.

Finally, author Kyle Robert Shultz, a self admitted failure at not writing, has provided me with the tools I need to kick this writing bug once and for all. I can't wait to see all of the free time I will have once I am am no longer enslaved to the keyboard.

Wait a minute, what? Oh no I've done it again! Look at all t
Katja Labonté
5+ stars & 6/10 hearts. Wow. This is a BRILLIANT book. It’s absolutely hilarious, but it’s also helpful in identifying places that make you stick fast and in ways to overcome it. The list of resources at the end is also really helpful. The only thing I disliked was one or two euphemisms. I deeply enjoyed this book and highly recommend it to ANY writer!

A Favourite Quote: “Once you start having fun, you’re right where your creative self wants you. The only way to ward off fun is to fully embrace
Kate Willis
(Before we get started, I just want to say, I delayed my writing time yesterday to finish reading this book, so it was mildly successful at its stated goal. Though only *mildly* successful. XD )

If you’ve been following me for any amount of time, you probably already know that I’m not a happy reader of non-fiction. I’m beginning to think I was reading (er, attempting to read) the wrong type of non-fiction, but that’s a story for another time.

This book happened to be on a topic I’m highly interest
Amelie
I can’t tell you how many times I laughed while reading this brilliant reverse-psychology writing book. Yep. It’s effective. (But wait, you don’t want to be a writer, do you? Stop reading this review! I’m a hopeless case.) I don’t think I could discipline myself enough to write an (almost) entirely ironic book, but the author pulled it off perfectly.

I think I laughed the hardest at Chapter 2, when Kyle was describing how he miserably failed at not writing Beaumont & Beasley. (Afterverse fans sh
Julia Garcia
Mar 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
If a book had jaws and claws it would be this one. If upon opening a book, giggles would erupt from the pages, it would be this one. This book sucked me in from the very first sentence and before I knew it I was reading it out loud to my little brothers. We laughed hard at Shultz's advice and there was many a day that I left my lair (a.k.a my room) to go an share with them what I had recently read. "You guys. You have to hear what Kyle said! It's hilarious!"
Kyle, if your goal was to make the r
Beth Wangler
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not typically a reader of non-fiction. This is probably the second non-fiction book I've finished outside of school—

And there's a definite reason for that. This book is fantastic.

In the several months I took reading "Not Write Now," I have been so thankful for the encouragement and wisdom it offers. Using reverse psychology, Shultz kindly and systematically breaks down all the lies we authors tell ourselves and provides tools to overcome those lies.

If you need any encouragement at all, go re
J.E.
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect for writers at any stage

This book is a wonderful little punch of wisdom and encouragement, wrapped up in Shultz's characteristic wit. Despite all the fun chapters in the beginning, my favorite part by far was the final chapter where Shultz shared his writing journey and his success. I highly recommend it for writers in any stage if their career.
Bethany Kellam
This book failed to help me. I'm now more motivated to finish my WIP. Thanks.

Seriously though, this is the writing book I needed. It utilized humor, satire and reverse psychology to encourage writers to become published authors.

If you're a writer who needs the motivation and encouragement to press on and keep moving forward, this is the book for you. You'll probably die laughing (especially in the second chapter) but you might even finish a book.
Carina  Shephard
Both hilarious and helpful. I'm pretty much a fledgling writer, and this really gave me motivation. ...more
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid book of reverse psychology writing advice disguised as a humorous lesson in how to avoid writing a book. Kyle Robert Shultz effectively applies his trademark style to nonfiction, making it an engaging read. It focuses a lot on recognizing and getting past the lies we tell ourselves and the mental roadblocks we put up to keep ourselves from writing. It won't help a ton if you're in my situation (e.g., your only problem is that you're procrastinating on the current scene), but it w ...more
Rebekah Morris
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
I don’t normally read this kind of book, but I’d seen several positive reviews and decided to give it a try.
Written in reverse-psychology style, this book had me going from chuckling to rolling my eyes. There were some great tips about what NOT to do if you are trying to write, and some recommended resources, uh, I mean ones to avoid (if you are trying NOT to write). While it was a rather fun one time read, I probably wouldn’t want to read it again. Chapter 9 did get real and the author pointed
Annalissa
Apr 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was a humorous read that made me smile several times, and even laugh out loud. While I wouldn't say this was my favourite 'how-to-write' book to read, I would say that it did help boost my creativity and had several exercises that, when done in reverse of course, could very well help you write more and/or better!
I appreciated the list of recourses 'not' to use very much. It's always nice to know what resources exist and I was very pleased that he also included whether or not they had
Becca
Reverse psychology is great. This book is recommended for all writers in need of rescue! I'm not a writer, but I read it because I've been wanting to try Kyle Robert Shultz's books, and because it was free, and because Alison Tebo wrote a short piece for the appendix (it's about the danger of taking showers). I love the writing style; can't wait to read Shultz's Beaumont and Beasely books. ...more
Selina
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
Excellent, entertaining read! Very much reminded me of The Monster at the End of the Book.
Angie Thompson
This was a great read! I really loved the hilarious reverse-psychology take on how not to be creative--or at least how not to let your creativity amount to anything worthwhile if you find you can't help it. :) Unlike some writing books I've read, I never felt like I was being talked down to or lectured, although I did have at least one "ouch" moment when a point hit particularly close to home. I also very much appreciated the list of helpful resources (to avoid at all costs, of course!) provided ...more
Caroline Knightley
Kyle Robert Shultz has left me laughing and inspired to write. I know the Title says Not Write Now, meaning DON'T EVER WRITE NOW OR EVER! But with his sense of humor, Kyle Robert Shultz has brought all the ways we can excel at writing by telling us don't use them!

As a child, I wasn't ever fooled with reverse psychology, but I loved the humor used here with reverse psychology. Will it work this time? Only time will tell.
Miriam
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is basically a cross between The Monster at the End of this Book and The Screwtape Letters, only for writers. Very funny and full of a lot of good-humored and inspiring advice.
Ursi Engebretsen
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A hilarious work of reverse psychology with a lot of good writing tips disguised as things you should never, ever do!
Kandi Wyatt
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for not writing!

Ok, so it is a how to write a novel and publish it, but stated in a tongue in cheek way that keeps you turning pages and wanting to start writing again.
Gevera Piedmont
It was funny and clever but it didn't resonate with me. I don't think I'm the target audience. ...more
Erika Mathews
K.L. + Pierce
Dec 14, 2019
Michelle Kosel
Sep 11, 2019

• The Reluctant Godfather (The Tales of Ambia, #1)
  • A Way Through The Sea (Young Underground, #1)
  • Stealthy Steps (Nanostealth #1)
  • Beyond the Tower (The Journey Series (Fairytales Retold))
  • The Last Sin Eater
  • Pippa of Lauramore (Eldentimber, #1)
  • Healer's Bane
  • The Wrong Proposal: A Sand and Storm Story (Legendary Magic Book 101)
  • Rain Through Her Fingers
  • Broken: Being the First Part of Love and Memory (The Rizkaland Legends #3.1)
  • Between Frames (The City Between, #4)
  • Between Shifts (The City Between, #2)
  • Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
  • Safely Home
  • Dragon Hoard and Other Tales of Faerie
  • Stolen Midsummer Bride (Stolen Brides Of The Fae #3)
  • A Royal Masquerade  (The Tales of Ambia, #2)
  • War Bound (Elven Alliance #2)
Kyle Robert Shultz is the creator of the Aftermythos, an interconnected collection of stories set in an alternate universe where fairy tales and mythology are history. Shultz is a completely ordinary human being with no remarkable qualities whatsoever. Accounts suggesting that he is a dangerous wizard exiled from a parallel reality, a cleverly-disguised magical creature passing off the history of ...more