Start by marking “Creation Machine (The Spin Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Creation Machine (The Spin Trilogy, #1)

Creation Machine

(The Spin Trilogy #1)

In the vast, artificial galaxy called the Spin, a rebellion has been crushed.

Viklun Hass is eliminating all remnants of the opposition. Starting with his daughter.

But Fleare Hass has had time to plan her next move from exile to the very frontiers of a new war.

For hundreds of millions of years, the planets and stars of the Spin have been the only testament to the god-like
Audiobook, Unabridged, 10 pages
Published March 5th 2019 by Macmillan Audio (first published May 19th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Creation Machine, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Creation Machine (The Spin Trilogy, #1)
Liviu
review on reread Nov 2019 - while the sort-of-sequel Iron Gods has been out for a while now, I kind of forgot about it until recently when I started browsing it, but before starting seriously on it, I felt I needed a full reread of Creation machine which is the introduction to the Spin Universe and which I remembered vaguely only; looking at the review I wrote originally, I have to say that it still matches my feelings today - very inventive and with narrative power, though the IM Banks ...more
sue
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am always very happy to receive books through my letterbox.
PenguinRandomHouse sent this one courtesy of Poppy. Transworld publishers.

It's definitely not my genre. In for a penny in for a pound, I thought, OK I'll read this as they have sent it.

I started to read the first couple of chapters and went on through to the end. I never review a book unless I've read it throughout. That's my personal rule.

So I am rating this fairly on genre, quality, believability and from a reading perspective NOT
Stephen
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creation Machine reads like an amalgam of the best space opera: Iain Banks expansive world building (comparisons to him in the cover blurbs are spot on), Alastair Reynolds for the spacey bits, even the simulated worlds of Hannu Rajaniemi. Fast paced, fun. A great debut with only a few misses. The villains--The Fortunate--are rather cartoony; Alameche in particular too evil to feel real. Some unnecessary, and distractingly crude, sex references. And I'm not sure I fully understand the ending. ...more
Timothy Boyd
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not sure if it was the reader or the writing but i found this book to be very wandering and jumping back and forth in a confusing manner. Did not enjoy it. Not recommended
Elana
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to love space opera. I don’t anymore, and novels like this are the reason. It involves artificial galaxies, simulated personalities, a lot of palace intrigue of an unpleasant kind, a man who has become a cloud of nano-particles, a woman who is pissed off with her corporate father, a rebellion...did I miss something? I must have. Despite being mercifully short, this novel contains so many sci-fi tropes that it is practically a Reader’s Digest of the genre. What it isn’t, is a coherent ...more
Tyler
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Andrew Bannister's Creation Machine is a debut space opera first-in-a-trilogy.

Some great ideas and passages of the novel, very (Iain) Banksian in feel (which many others have commented), but I wasn't greatly impressed overall. The flow of the story was very disjointed; I found it hard to follow at times, and the sudden swearing between characters and at attempts at humour through rude acronyms just felt out of place. None of the characters really did it for me either.

Not bad for a debut but not
Artjom Hatsaturjants
Not bad, just mediocre.
Mark
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creation Machine is a Space Opera that is a thrilling debut novel for its author.

Fleare Haas is a ‘rich kid gone wrong’ whose previous exploits have led her into isolation and solitary imprisonment in a monastery on Odel’s Moon.

Through backstory we read of Fleare’s past: her relationship with her estranged father, Viklun, (who happens to be the leader of the Hegemony and one of the richest people in the galaxy), her friends and lovers, her enlistment in Society Otherwise, the army created in
Pep
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
I hate trilogies. Well, except for Asimov's original Foundation trilogy, but I read that when I didn't know any better, and anyway, as it turned out it became a septology, or something like that.

When I originally picked up Iron Gods in the library, on spec, I didn't realise it was the second of three, but having finished that exceptional book (see my separate review) I checked in the library catalogue and found that Andrew Bannister's first novel was available.

I had to trek to an out-of-town
Liam Marsh
It was OK.
Definitely starts out better than it finishes though. The first half of the book is quite good, unfortunately a bit of a let down from then on.
I will be reading the other books in the trilogy, as I quite like the setting.
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
I received a copy of Creation Machine through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Creation Machine is a fast-paced and chaotic space opera of epic proportions. It’s quirky and full of personality, and was pretty much everything I had hoped it would be. It’s the first novel in a new series called The Spin Trilogy, which is an appropriate title when you think about it.
The series covers the aftermath of a civil war that took over dozens of planets and systems. The people are
Ghost Whistler
Hmmmn (and SPOILERS possibly?).

At first I expected an austere if efficient space opera, perhaps with a little eccentricity.

I read the first chapter and though, ok, not bad.

The next was a flashback that was a bit off putting. Here the tone of the book became clear: it is eccentric, unapologetically soft sci fi (which is good). But also a bit facile - mainly in the character interactions.

Then I started to get into it. An austere space opera it is not. In fact it is a very British book (which is
Jobeda
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn’t live up to its promise

This was a fun way to spend a few days. Great world building and I’d have loved to know more but the characters took their world for granted whereas I’d have loved to get deeper into that. I’ve given it quite a high score only because I did enjoy the read while I was in that universe but technically it’s not a great story. The two protagonists we follow don’t have any connection apart from something a bit spurious at the end. But they worked as separate stories. I
Rebecca Wilcox
I had mixed feelings about CREATION MACHINE by Andrew Bannister. It's technically well-written with interesting protagonists and world-building. Multi-POV space operas are my favorite kind of book, and the opening sequence with Fleare and Muz was promising. I really enjoyed them both as characters, especially Muz. But for me, it started falling apart as soon as the POV switched to Alameche, and it never really recovered my attention. If it was longer, I probably wouldn't have finished it.

Paul Trembling
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Comparisons with Ian M Banks 'Culture' series are inevitable. 'Creation Machine' has the same huge vision of time and space, encompassing vast time spans and huge interstellar vistas. It also has the same wide range of brilliantly imagined and vividly described cultures, technologies and ecologies as its backdrop.

However, this is not a slavish imitation of Banks. Bannister's 'Spin Worlds' are a unique and distinctive creation, a fascinating concept which is also, as it turns out, integral to the
Attika
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well this is a bittersweet call...

I really liked the book; it recalled some of the best features of Ian Banks' Culture novels.

The characterizations could be somewhat deeper, more developed. The transition between disparate locations could be more fluid. The reveals could be more heart- or hurt-laden. Hopefully the author will continue to mature and address these matters in later works.

The science involved was fine, but is not for the faint of heart, be warned.

What really gives me pause -- and
Jorg
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Oooh, now this was fun. Bigger-than-life villains, complicated and fucked-up heroes, epic ancient technologies, wild invention, alll writ large on a technicolour widescreen, and propelling itself forward with a gnarly and irresistible energy.

In fact, the whole thing has a distinct Banksian flavour and atmmosphere--and this is meant in an entirely good way, since that flavour has been sadly missing from science fiction for several years.

Its not just a pastiche either; Bannister's voice is his own
Nigel Owen
I liked the start the setting felt original and the characters were interesting.

We then have flash backs to explain why the books main character Fleare Haas, the stereotypical rich girl, is rebelling against her father and the society she was bought up in.

The society is a "super capitalist" nightmare controlled by the rich elite who abuse there positions of power. I thought the main characters motivation was pretty childish she has almost zero experience of how bad the society is and joins up
Clay Kallam
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
It seems like there's a pretty good idea at the base of the first novel of The Spin Trilogy (I would have opted for Spin Cycle) but Andrew Bannister inability to really explain what's going on with any consistency robs "Creation Machine" of much of its impact.

And though Bannister may not intend it that way, to the reader there's a lot of deus ex machina going on, as things happen without a prior setup or preparation. For example, a human being that has become an AI (why is he apparently the only
Michael Long
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
I received this book for free from MacMillan Audio in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.I listened to several hours of this book, and nothing interesting really happened. The profanity is over the top, the two main characters so far have not been very likeable, and the plot is slow and boring. The world building is kindof interesting, but nothing is really explained very well and often things are just thrown out there without ...more
Rory Bergin
Not bad, but the influence of Iain M. Banks is a bit too obvious for me, with less of the fun and more of the cruelty.
The pacing of the novel is good until the end when the denouement happens far too abruptly and you are left feeling cheated that it wasn’t entirely clear what happened and not nearly enough was made of it. Having assembled all the components of a decent sized space war by the end of the story, there was no war!
There is a law in fiction that if a gun appears in a story it has to
Davecapp
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For fans of Anne Lechie and Neil Asher this is solid speculative SciFi. A juxtaposition of real world, extreme intelligence (from past civilizations) and AI with virtual worlds. And surprisingly they all tie together for a compelling story that gets very deep, yet holds both your attention, and the storyline together till the end. Good character development, and the AI constructs have personalities reminiscent of characters from Iain Banks Culture Series. All in all an enjoyable read.
Tom Burkholder
In the book Creation Machine, author Andrew Bannister begins the Spin series. An artificial world and solar system has been created but will it be destroyed as well?
This was a fast paced book but was very confusing. I would not recommend this book. I received a copy of this e-book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Scott Waldie
There were some fascinating set-pieces in this universe, for sure, and some novel ideals, but there was a lack of coherence to the flow of the story and it just didn't have me turning the pages as much as I'd hoped. Certainly this author has the chops to create some compelling space opera, if I can ever narrow down the stacks I may take a crack at the second novel in this trilogy.
James
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extremely competent debut novel. I will read the rest of the trilogy when they are published, as based on Creation Machine I'm sure the author will grow in confidence. This book is a tiny bit derivative in places but was overall an entertaining read, and plants the seeds for a long and succesful writing career.
Adam
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Overall, not too bad, but it felt a little disjointed. Characters would occasionally start acting without any apparent motive, or events just occurred without any real explanation or cause, and just served as ex machina. But still, enjoyable enough.
Bill
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reasonable, readable, interesting Science Fiction. Good escapist stuff. Loads of holes in it, and I don’t care about any of the characters, who are all pure stock. Not sure I can be bothered to read the next two books in the series.
Johan
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author creates a lively universe with interesting characters. The plot loses its thread somewhere along the line, as the author has a bit too many ideas to run with for such a short book, but it's decent enough. I suppose I will continue with the next in the series.
Jimy Mason
I felt it had some good ideas, but lack a general direction or end point for the progression of the story
David
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, it felt very similar to Iain M. Banks or Peter F. Hamiltons style of writing. I'm excited to discover this author, as I now intend to buy every book and read everything!!

• The Cruel Stars (The Cruel Stars, #1)
  • Perihelion Summer
  • Spaceside (Planetside #2)
  • Fleet of Knives (Embers of War, #2)
  • Embers of War (Embers of War, #1)
  • Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)
  • The Quantum Garden
  • Today I Am Carey
  • Planetside (Planetside #1)
  • The Quantum Magician
  • Salvation Lost (The Salvation Sequence, #2)
  • Feersum Endjinn
  • Shadow Captain (Revenger, #2)
  • Salvation (Salvation Sequence #1)
  • The Rosewater Insurrection (The Wormwood Trilogy, #2)
  • The Last Astronaut
  • Walking to Aldebaran
  • Noumenon
Born in 1965, Andrew Bannister grew up in Cornwall. He studied Geology at Imperial College and went to work in the North Sea before becoming an Environmental Consultant. For the day job, he specialises in green transport and corporate sustainability, but he has always written - initially for student newspapers and fanzines before moving on, encouraged by creative writing courses, to fiction. He's ...more

The Spin Trilogy (3 books)
  • Iron Gods (The Spin Trilogy #2)
  • Stone Clock (The Spin Trilogy 3)