Start by marking “The War Beneath” as Want to Read:
The War Beneath

The War Beneath

“There is a war going on behind things, beneath them.”

Paul had been a forensic psychologist. But after his daughter’s funeral, he hit the rock bottom of a spiraling addiction. When the spirits of the dead started rasping their wishes in his ears, he fled New York for withering Oceanrest—a flat-broke city barnacled to Maine’s coast. There, he’s spent the last five years
Published October 1st 2019 by Permuted Press

To ask other readers questions about The War Beneath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War Beneath

Start your review of The War Beneath
Colby
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Paul was once a forensic psychologist, working alongside the FBI in New York, until his daughter died. Folowing her death, he spiraled into a depression and addiction. Folowing his daughter's death, he gained a sixth sense. Spirits began approaching them in their states of deaht, whispering pleas to him. To drown out their voices he drinks.

Until he moved to Oceancrest to become a professor and started buying downers from
Kate
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
A BarksBeachesBooks Review
The War Beneath = Chaos Inliterate
In The War Beneath, a former forensic psychologist is slowly spiraling downward. Having hit rock bottom after his daughter's death and his sudden ability to hear the whispers of dead people, Paul is now living in a boat house in Oceanrest, Maine. Um, where? The broke and broken city on Maine's coast where those with magical powers are drawn in larger numbers than anywhere else in the world.
Trying to ignore his past (and the voices) he
Courtney (dogeareddaysofsummer)
*3.5 stars!

I must confess that I have not read many books that fall into the paranormal category, but have been slowly adding some titles from this genre into my reading and have discovered that I love it! This was my first time reading a title by this author, but after enjoying this one I will definitely be adding more of his work to my TBR.

Hughes finds a way to combine all sorts of elements into his plot without it confusing the readers or adding unnecessary substance. I started this book
Alix
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it

Well, that was different.

It was weird and out there and I definitely enjoyed it!

When TLC Booktours asked if I wanted to review a paranormal horror thriller, the first thing I thought was 'what the hay I'll give it a shot.'

This book deals with ghosts, drugs, race, fantasy, witchcraft, serial killers, cults and mystery.

And if that seems like a lot it's because it is. Definitely a lot going on, but it works! Lots of tropes- but they're not eye rolling or confusing.

Hughes combines and weaves them
CR
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty interesting story. The writing was done very well and the story was really thought out. The tropes in this one worked well for the story and I think that if this author releases another title I will totally check it out. It touched on addiction and depression and I think that the author did a pretty good job with those situations.
Jessica
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: blog-tours
Thanks to TLC Book Tours for the free copy in exchange for my honest review and blog tour

This was my introduction to S.R. Hughes and I found this to be a very interesting and unique read. THE WAR BENEATH is a paranormal thriller that focuses on a man that went from a successful forensic psychologist with the FBI to a man at rock bottom drinking himself away from his memories and his past.

After the death of Paul’s daughter he leaves his job as an FBI forensic psychologist in New York for the
Anthony
Jena
Feb 11, 2020
Rita
Feb 14, 2020
Spencer Rhys Hughes lives in a dark, lightless cavern beneath the streets of Queens, NY, where he worships a hungry deity chewing at the corners of our reality. Sometimes the deity chatters wildly in his mind and he acts as a medium, pounding keys until they form words and prophecies and warnings. He's written several stories and books in this fashion, and hopes to write more.