Start by marking “The Year of No Nonsense: How to Get Over Yourself and On with Your Life” as Want to Read:
The Year of No Nonsense: How to Get Over Yourself and On with Your Life

The Year of No Nonsense: How to Get Over Yourself and On with Your Life

In the vein of Girl, Wash Your Face and How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t, a practical guide to acknowledging and getting rid of the nonsense and bs in your life

Exhausted and overworked lawyer, triathlete, wife, and mom Meredith Atwood decided one morning that she'd had it. She didn't take her kids to school. She didn't go to work. She didn't go to the gym. When she pulled
Published December 17th 2019 by Da Capo Lifelong Books

To ask other readers questions about The Year of No Nonsense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year of No Nonsense

Start your review of The Year of No Nonsense: How to Get Over Yourself and On with Your Life
Karen
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up for many reasons.

I have a lot of thoughts about this book. First thing I will say is that I generally try to read a book without reading the reviews. Sometimes, in the middle of the book, I'll go and see what others wrote. In this case, I was a bit surprised at the unequivocal positive reviews. This is a good book, but in my opinion the reviews feel a bit slanted. I am pointing this out because it might be that I am reacting to this as I sit down to write mine and I am
Elizabeth
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I found this book through the author's podcast. I love all the material, content, and references in this book, but I think some sections could have been condensed a bit. But overall a great read and one I will pass on to people who want to get rid of their own Nonsense.
KittyGirl707
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best inspirational books I've read. It helped me take a deeper look into my nonsense and peel back some additional layers of the stories I've created throughout my life. Meredith has a great way of helping to help name and dig deeper into them and offers insights into how to go about changing them. Great read!
Susan Folger
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is life changing - thought provoking and soo applicable to every woman in every stage of life!!!
Amy
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This will be a book that you will want to read at many stages in your life.
Stephaniekilian
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is life changing. Everyone needs this book, to start 2020, as "The Year of No Nonsense". Start living your life for your self.
Allison
Part audiobook, part ebook.

I didnt think this book would be for me at first. Nothing in the first chapter really resonated with me, but chapter 2 hit differently. I still dont think I have that much nonsense in my life, but I did uncover a few reasons behind my beliefs about myself.

I did hate the stylistic capitalization though. Personal preference.

Edit (2/1, 4:53pm) I usually make my reviews as notes for myself should I want to reread a book. I do think Ill return to this book at another point
Wendy
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm...

A lot of good points that I highlighted...but read more like a textbook to me. Been following the author for a long time...
Amy
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
DNF. Maybe I'm just not in a place where I can relate to this book.
Fiona
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! Sound ideas to think through...I definitely have some "nonsense" to sort out and this book gave me some real food for thought. I especially enjoy Meredith's sense of humor. While she is offering a serious perspective on improving one's life, she also provides some laugh-out-loud moments. Looking forward to seeing her in person when she comes to my city!
W Nixon
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exceptionally well written book that will make you discover the limiting the factors in your life and take action on the distractions in your life. The author takes you on a journey while sharing her own experiences of overcoming her distractions with things like people pleasing and social media.
Kristie (fabk)
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well dang. I have onions that I need to peel. This is a book that will be re read in about a week as I work through the work that needs to be done.
I listened to the audiobook but will be ordering the physical book to work through the pieces better.
Highly recommend.
Jamie
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I wasnt always a fan of the writing in this book, but it did help me to reflect, and for that it was worth the read. ...more
McKinley
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book seemed like a really useful step by step guide for anyone who needs to make major life adjustments! I enjoyed the no nonsense tone of the author!
Heather Bennett
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
the Year of No Nonsense is a good book that reminds us to focus on what is important. Some of the information is not new and there is some repetitive information. Overall it is a good book.
Caroline Sterkel
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. What a powerful, thought-provoking book. If you are looking to make major changes in your life, this is the book for you. Atwood writes with such honesty, vulnerability, forwardnessand sprinkled with humor. ...more
Nanci York
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read - funny at times, potent, made me think and feel stuff i havent wanted to but needed to in a safe way ...more
Valkyrie Marketing
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational. Funny. Applicable. This wont be the last time I read this book. Thank you, Meredith, as always, for your candor and your Truth. ...more
Leah Enright
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I first heard Meredith on a favorite running podcast last spring I knew she had a lot to say. And I felt like she was talking directly to me. Fast forward some months to the publication of her new book. Wow. Its like she wrote this book just for me. And millions of other people-pleasing, over-worked, under-appreciated/loved women who are sick & tired of their own nonsense. ...more
Lisa
Jan 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
I was excited to start my Audible year off listening to this book, but I was disappointed almost immediately with the reality of this heavily padded twaddle. Atwood defines much of her nonsense as doing too much for others, which sounds like a humblebrag more than a true self-assessment. When she then spent five minutes first reading the dictionary definition of the word nonsense, and then reading all of a thesaurus' synonyms of the word, I had had enough of the author's nonsense. First time I ...more
Q
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
I wanted to call this book nonsense, but realize that it just wasnt for me. I expected a book titled the year of no nonsense to have more of an empowered (read: badass) undercurrent to it, but that was clearly an assumption. While I appreciate the authors candid and IFGAF tone, the book seems to be joint therapy for readers who feel broken, stuck, and/or held back by their own internal dialogue. Ill admit that we all need someone at some point in our lives to tell us to get your sh*t together, ...more
Matt & Sarah Dressler
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was really excited to receive a copy of Meredith Atwoods new release, The Year of No Nonsense.

Atwoods writing reminds me of Brene Brown, one of my favorite self-help authors. Shes Brene with less scientific research, a bit more cursing, and a fire to use her life experience to help others!

This book has so many great points worth nothing, as you can see, I have post-it tabbed almost every dang page in the book! :) Thats the sign of a good book, if I do say so.

Grab this if you are looking to
Samantha
Mar 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Wish I could give it more like 3.5 stars. It starts out as a pretty good motivational kind of self-help book. But it felt about 20-30 pages too long and some of the advice seemed...repetitive? As though the author was offering the same advice at different points, re-written to seem like it was a brand new point or suggestion. And I could understand the intention behind the seemingly Random capitalizations of Certain words, but nevertheless it was something that kept getting on my nerves ...more
Jodi
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all, this book isnt for everyone, but if you truly want to make a change, then read it. Do the work. It will pay off. It may take time, but seriously, there is no free lunch. You have to do the work. Merediths writing style makes it easy to read, but also hard. She shoots from the heart...bearing her soul in order to help us all live with no nonsense. Read it...you wont regret it. ...more
Lauren
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I listened to this audiobook and enjoyed it a lot (except for the hashtags, maybe it was just the format but that got really annoying to hear). This is one I would like to re-read in physical or ebook form, though, because I find it hard to really retain information when I'm listening to it rather than reading it with my eyes. I think using a different format to read it may change my rating overall. Her "peeling back the truth onion" idea was really interesting.
Melinda
Shelves: book-club
Fours stars within this genre that I have a hard time connecting with. I read this as part of a book club, and we had the opportunity to have a video chat with the author. I found some of the chapters particularly relatable, and some phrases have stuck with me that I will share with some of my college-age advisees. This by far exceeded my expectations, and the audiobook read by the author is good too.
Heidi
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that I would love to dislike. But I refuse to dislike this eye opening, thought provoking book. The truth hurts sometimes. I love how honest Meredith is with her truth. It makes this book easier/harder to read because she is vulnerable. It's easy to relate to almost everything she says. She curses as well which makes it even easier to relate to. I am so glad I read this book. My eyes are open. When you know better, you do better. Thank you Meredith!
Jiliane Russo Hanley
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
There were some really raw and beautiful parts of this book that resonated with me, and I definitely had more than one light bulb moments. If you are struggling and have felt stuck for a while, this is a nice resource for inspiration and perspective.

The exercises in the book felt a little unnecessary, I did do them but I think the real value of this book is the true story and revelations that the author shares.
Laurie
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really like Meredith Atwood, but I'm not that into self-help books so I doubt I'll be finishing this one. Her writing style/tone is great, and you can feel her voice and personality come through. Easy to read. Painful at times, funny at others, heart-felt and honest. Worth reading if this is your type of book!
Colleen Rice
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
The content was good, but listened to it on Audible and the narration was terrible. I would have enjoyed it much more as a text. That being said, the additional PDF and checkpoints were really reflective and helpful.

• Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know about the People We Don't Know
  • Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
  • Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
  • Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life
  • Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
  • Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
  • The Joy of Movement: How Exercise Helps Us Find Happiness, Hope, Connection, and Courage
  • Thinking, Fast and Slow
  • Average is the New Awesome: A Manifesto for the Rest of Us
  • The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
Meredith Atwood is a recovering attorney, wife, mother of two, four-time IRONMAN triathlete who had never run a mile in her life until she tackled the sport of triathlon. In 2010 she started writing and created her Swim Bike Mom blog.

Over 2.5 million words later, she has built a cult following of women (and men) who desired a change in their livesbut not at the expense of their health, family or

News & Interviews