Start by marking “Everything Isn't Terrible: Conquer Your Insecurities, Interrupt Your Anxiety, and Finally Calm Down” as Want to Read:

In the spirit of You Are a Badass and The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck, a helpful and humorous guide to shedding our anxious habits and building a more solid sense of self in our increasingly anxiety-inducing world.

Licensed therapist and mental health writer Dr. Kathleen Smith offers a smart, practical antidote to our anxiety-ridden times. Everything Isn't
Published December 31st 2019 by Hachette Books

Start your review of Everything Isn't Terrible: Conquer Your Insecurities, Interrupt Your Anxiety, and Finally Calm Down
Ian D
Ενδιαφέρον ανάγνωσμα γύρω από τη διαχείριση του άγχους είτε αυτό προέρχεται από προσωπικές ανασφάλειες, οικογενειακές δομές (οποιαδήποτε οικογένεια με περισσότερα από δύο άτομα είναι δυσλειτουργική - wink, wink!), επαγγελματικές ή ερωτικές σχέσεις.
Όπως όλα τα βιβλία ψυχολογίας, θα ήταν ακόμα πιο χρήσιμα αν μπορούσαμε να δουλέψουμε περισσότερο κάνοντας κτήμα μας (κάποιες από) τις τεχνικές που αναφέρονται.
Genevieve Trono
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of self-help books in general but I am especially drawn to the idea of confronting our own anxieties. In Everything Isn't Terrible, author Kathleen Smith presents an approachable explanation of the Bowen theory of therapy which involves not only looking at ourselves as individuals but also at our relationship systems...

"Because when we feel anxious, we often try to make other people change. We try to calm everyone else down so we can finally relax. But if you can work on managing
Alicia Bayer
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This is probably a helpful book for a very specific set of problems with a rather specific answer for all of them. Basically, the author is a therapist who follows Bowen theory, which says that all of our problems are because of their existence in our relationships. So if you're anxious or stressed or in a terrible marriage or miserable at work, it can all be fixed by being more mature in your relationships in each sphere.

Each section starts out with Smith telling the story of a client who was
Kathleen
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wanted to write a book that I could hand to my therapy clients with a complete understanding of how I think about anxiety and what to do about it.

If you've ever had a challenging relationship with a family member, struggled to stay calm in a romantic relationship, dealt with an anxious boss, or felt generally annoyed by people on the Internet, then this book is for you.

I'm proud of this work, and can't wait for people to read it!
Kearsie
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is already my favorite book of 2020
Paula
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything Isn’t Terrible by Dr. Kathleen Smith couldn’t have come at a better time. I am experiencing significant life changes and have been looking for some guidance, and this book helped conquer some of my insecurities and provided concrete, easy-to-understand information and steps to find calmness and let go of anxiety.

I might as well have highlighted the whole book as there were so many wonderful analogies and gems of wisdom on each page.

I was able to get to a place where I noticed that I
Claire
This book is an excellent and helpful resource for anybody with problems. Yep, it's that general! I opened this book thinking it would be a book about anxiety, and it is, to a certain extent...but it's not about Generalized Anxiety Disorder. It's more universal than that (although a pretty big chunk of the population has GAD, unfortunately) so can help a wider variety of people.

Basically, the book is about the Bowen method of approaching anxious problems. The Bowen method focuses on how you
Heather Bennett
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything Isn't Terrible is a interesting and informative book. It has some great advice and techniques for dealing with anxiety. I would but this book for people I know.
Michelle
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Great book for processing/handling your anxiety. Longer review to come.

Thanks to NetGalley and Hachette Books for providing this ARC.
Kris Ruggiero
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-booklist, arcs
When life gets crazy and stressful, I find myself needing some time to just take a breath and calm down. This little book has a good mix of practical ways to help feel less anxious and insecure. There are chapters devoted to family, friends, relationships, work, and even social media. As someone who has struggled with anxiety for much of my life, I appreciated that the author made this book accessible and humorous. There are practical ideas and methods in the book to confront anxiety.
Amanda
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and plan to reread and reference it in the future. It was a bit of a growing edge for me to think of anxiety from a family systems prospective but it made me want to learn more about Bowen theory. Even if you aren't a therapist or interested in theories, this book was very accessible and had great applications to daily life. I was already a fan and subscriber to Kathleen's newsletter and this book solidified that.
Kate Henderson
Too vague and no real substance!
Ashley Peterson
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Everything Isn’t Terrible: Conquer Your Insecurities, Interrupt Your Anxiety, and Finally Calm Down is written by marriage and family therapist Dr. Kathleen Smith and draws on Bowen theory. This is a theory of human behaviour that sees anxiety as being rooted in social relationships, and thus work on social relationships must be done to improve anxiety.

The book is divided into four sections: the anxious self, anxious relationships, anxious career, and anxious world (which includes social media
Kathy
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kathleen Smith shares her experience with and knowledge of the Bowen method of therapy. This therapy helps address anxiety in all different types of relationships (family, friends, love, community and career) by asking that we observe, evaluate, and interrupt our own automatic responses to things in relationships that make us anxious.

I found this book to be very helpful in showing how we can calm ourselves and change the dynamics of a problematic relationship or interaction by understanding the
Erica
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5 - Licensed therapist Kathleen Smith breaks down a number of common situations/relationships that often cause people great anxiety and what they can do to try and combat these feelings and resulting fears. The examples she gives are pretty specific scenarios, but I definitely found it easy to relate the cases back to myself. I found myself often saying “whoa, that’s totally me!”. Is this going to cure the most severe cases of anxiety? No, probably not. But I do think it has the potential to ...more
Maude
Nov 18, 2019 added it
As a psychology student, I picked up this book by curiosity, and I was not disappointed. I really like reading books on this type of topic, and this one was very instructive and organized. It's not a book that will teach you how to cope with extreme anxiety or trauma situations, but it will help you manage small to medium amounts of anxiety in your day-to-day life, deal with anxiety-inducing people, and be more mature in your interpersonal relationships. I would recommend this book as a gift for ...more
Witch-at-Heart
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. It was witty and to the point it was also backed by clinical information and l felt it was a good mixture of advice and research. I feel for those struggling with anxiety the topic of inner reflection and understanding personal triggers along with techniques to help get past these moments are grounded in how to refocus our gut responses which are generally what causes the initial anxieties to surface. All in all I believe this is a good beginners tool for those ready to ...more
Bethany Vaughn
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book! The real-world examples that the author gave from her experience as a therapist were relatable. I could see some of myself in many of the scenarios. Then, she shares questions to ask yourself and respond to that will help you overcome personal challenges. I thought that, although it was aimed at individuals with anxiety, the questions she asks would help almost anyone, even individuals who don't have anxious thoughts. I think lots of readers looking for a fresh start will ...more
Pam
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting look at Bowen family therapy; some of the information is quite useful for those with high-functioning anxiety.
Jacob H
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Extremely clear, funny, and the included exercises were very useful!
Rather.be.reading1
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Felt like this was going to be a great book, but it came across as "too clinical". Even though it is written by a credible author and doctor, I still wanted it to read and resonate with a "regular" person. There was some good information, but overall not great in my book. Sorry. Thank you for the opportunity to read and review your book.
Kristin
This was one of those books that I would never have read in a million years before, but I got a librarian's copy from libro.fm and thought I'd give it a go. And honestly, I found it quite informative and maybe, almost helpful. Smith's points are well-reasoned and logical. I was afraid I'd find the sample cases too gossipy, but that wasn't the tone at all; it was easy to take kernels of the issue and relate them to other issues in my own life. I found her case compelling that most of the issues ...more
Kristen
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, arcs
really enjoyed the first part of this book, felt like everything was hitting all the right spots, laughed a few times, made me think about some things and ways to handle my anxiety. the second part was less helpful for me personally, but still interesting. the third and fourth parts were where i struggled, i either didn't 'need' them or they were missing whatever the first two parts had for me. i am sure those parts will be helpful to some people though, and perhaps the parts that were helpful ...more
Michael Brennan

• Good Girls Lie
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • I'm Not Dying with You Tonight
  • Woman on the Edge
  • Creative Journaling: A Guide to Over 100 Techniques and Ideas for Amazing Dot Grid, Junk, Mixed Media, and Travel Pages
  • Behind Every Lie
  • Lady in the Lake
  • This Book Will Make You Fall Asleep
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • Song of the Crimson Flower
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
  • Taran Wanderer (The Chronicles of Prydain, #4)
  • The Black Cauldron (The Chronicles of Prydain, #2)
  • The Book of Three (The Chronicles of Prydain, #1)
  • The High King (The Chronicles of Prydain, #5)
DR. KATHLEEN SMITH is a licensed therapist and mental health writer who lives in Washington, DC. She has written for popular publications such as Slate, Salon, New York Magazine, Lifehacker, Bustle, and Counseling Today, among many others. She is an associate faculty member at the Bowen Center for the Study of the Family and hosts the show Family Matters, a production of the University of the ...more