Start by marking “Awful Beautiful Life: When God Shows Up in the Midst of Tragedy” as Want to Read:
Awful Beautiful Life: When God Shows Up in the Midst of Tragedy

Awful Beautiful Life: When God Shows Up in the Midst of Tragedy

A gripping story of grace, faith, and triumph for a woman whose world shattered hours after her husband's suicide.

Rebecca Powell faced the unthinkable on May 16, 2013. Her husband Mark called and said, "I've done something terrible." Within hours, she learned that he had taken his own life and, over a period of several years, millions of dollars from friends and
Published December 3rd 2019 by FaithWords

To ask other readers questions about Awful Beautiful Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awful Beautiful Life

Start your review of Awful Beautiful Life: When God Shows Up in the Midst of Tragedy
Chrissy
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, honest, and at times funny book. “Awful Beautiful Life” is a must read. It will leave you hopeful and inspired.
Shana Slaughter
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this incredible book to everyone! It is a story of faith and of hope and will inspire everyone. Becky Powell’s never ending faith in God got her and her family through personal tragedy. I could not put this book down! So uplifting!
Suzanne Bell
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read! It is truly inspirational, as well as a can't-put-down kind of book. Katherine Reay does an amazing job of writing the story being told by Becky Powell. As I read the story, I found yourself wondering how anyone could stay so faithful in the midst of such adversity and tragedy, and at the same time, found myself laughing so hard at the reality of life as it unfolded. I enjoyed every page of this book!
Monica
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On May 16, 2013, Becky Powell received a phone call that would change her life. Her husband, Mark, called her and told her he had done something terrible. That day she learned he took his own life and that he also had borrowed millions of dollars over a period of several years and was deeply in debt. In her book, Awful Beautiful Life, Becky Powell tells her story with the help of writer Katherine Reay.

Awful Beautiful Life: When God Shows Up in the Midst of Tragedy is Becky's story of how she
Csimplot Simplot
Excellent book!!!
Joan
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
What a story. Imagine being an active part of the upper social class of Austin, Texas. Imagine receiving a cryptic phone call from your husband of 22 years that seems to indicate he is ending his life. Imagine the panic and then the trauma. Imagine finding out he owed millions in loans from friends. Imagine the possibility of lawsuits, investigations, and criminal prosecution.

Powell and Reay have provided an interesting and very readable account of the aftermath of Mark Powell's suicide. The
Jessica
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I never write book reviews, but cannot let this one pass me by! Warning...this book will light a fire of faith in your Spirit!!!

I first heard about this book and Becky Powell one day on the 4 things with Amy Brown podcast. The interview with Becky was amazing. Her faith, her courage, her transparency is absolutely incredible, so I quickly got online and pre-ordered this book.

I read this book in less than 24 hours. I could not put it down. What I most love about this is that she has scripture
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I am going to start with the good of the book. This lady is definitely a nice lady who tries to do the right thing all the time. Only if all rich people behave this way.

Here is the bad and the ugly. I personally think if one doesn't count their money by the million, he or she would not like this book. A more appropriate title of the book should be "Awful Beautiful Life of millionaires: when money built relationship shows up in the midst of tragedy".
Here are a couple of things on the top of my
C.E. Hart
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I’m not a crier, so it was reasonable for me to think I could get through this book without shedding tears. I knew the events were tragic and painful. I knew my empathy would be on overdrive. But, like I mentioned, I’m usually fairly stoic, keeping difficult emotions in check. Well, I got through the tragic parts. Whew. I got through the highs and the lowest of lows. Whew. But once I reached near the end of the book, my emotions betrayed me and burst out without warning. Despite the difficult ...more
Openly Bookish
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a masterpiece of showing how God works miracles in the midst of HELL.
Madison
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the most incredibly inspiring story I’ve ever heard. The book is raw, genuine, intense, comical and humbling all in one. It really makes you grateful for what you have and puts life in perspective. A beautiful reminder that faith, hope and love trump all. Love all the “F” words and the country music playlist! An incredible read and story! I hope everyone gets the chance to hear this. It’s a MUST-READ!
Oak
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In May 2013, Becky Powell’s life dramatically changed. Her husband tragically took his own life, and she soon discovered that he owed millions of dollars to creditors. In Awful Beautiful Life: When God Shows Up in the Midst of Tragedy, Becky Powell tells her story of how she picked up the pieces of her life, repaid creditors, and relied on God in the midst of her suffering.

Through all of the trials Powell faced, God was there with her. Powell’s story of persevering through pain reminds me of the
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awful Beautiful Life: When God Shows Up in the Midst of Tragedy by Becky Powell is a powerful book of faith and hope that everyone should read. Becky's faith and courage is incredible. I am inspired by her ability to be real and what she has gone through is unfathomable. I read this book in a day and I could not put it down. This book is a quick read because once you start reading, you aren't able to stop.

Through this entire book and trial, Becky is able to face the situation with God. She did
Belle
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I'm in awe of everything this book entails. This is a must-read whether you're looking for hope, help, inspiration, encouragement, a good laugh or just a solid story. I couldn't put this book down - I've already read it in one sitting and listened to the audio book. I laughed, cried and had every emotion in between. God bless all of those who surrounded the Powell family throughout this tragedy. What an incredible testament to God and his unconditional love and provision. I am going to ...more
Rosalyn
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story of triumph, of what God can do in a person’s life, of His Power in the darkest of times. Beauty through pain.
Becky Powell experienced one of the most painful tragedies of all--dealing with the aftermath of her husband's suicide and the fraud that drove him there.
It is a real inspiration to see how she allowed God to lead her, how she turned to Him and allowed Him to make her a stronger, better person because of this difficult time.
Julie Baselice
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awful Beautiful Life is a story about how one woman's faith brought her through unimaginable circumstances. This book will make you laugh and cry and strengthen your own faith for life's roller coaster journey. I highly recommend it for anyone looking to grow in their faith or to find hope in their current circumstances.
Pam
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I commend Becky on paying everyone back. Usually when we make an investment that goes bad we get nothing so that was very good of her. I enjoyed the Bible passages and am glad that she was able to handle the whole situation but as she freely admits, she had a lot of help not only from her faith and God but also because she had a lot of money and many professional friends.
Lisa Spitzer
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Easy to read, poignant story of how a woman found her strength and persevered after her husband’s suicide brought on by a secret Ponzi scheme he created.
She relies on her faith in God and her conscience to go against legal advise to find peace for herself and children.
Bethany
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this after hearing about it on the Jen Fulwiler show. Takeaways: when difficulty comes, you can ask yourself "how has God prepared me for this moment?" and the importance of showing up for your friends.
Paige
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW! What an emotional, vulnerable journey Becky has lived through and shared in “Awful Beautiful Life”. I highly recommend to everyone. It is a quick read that takes you on the inside of the pain she walked through. Her journey has put so much about life into perspective.
Leanne
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this in one sitting which I doesn't happen very often, especially with nonfiction. An incredible story, beautifully told.
Patty Gray
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Incredible!

Amazing testimony of strength through Faith. An example of how.to do the right thing...and the freedom that.allows you. Wonderful read.
Paula
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A quick but interesting read of how the Lord empowered a woman to survive tragedy and her husband's terrible choices.
Melissa
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is raw and honest. It’s a beautiful step to help take the stigma and shame out surrounding suicide. It is is a must read!
Lisa
Betsy
Jan 16, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Road
  • Me Before You (Me Before You, #1)
  • The Other Boleyn Girl (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #9)
  • Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption
  • John Adams
  • Jane Eyre
  • The Help
  • The Printed Letter Bookshop
  • When Life Gives You Pears: The Healing Power of Family, Faith, and Funny People
  • Confessions of a Happily Married Man: Finding God in the Messiness of Marriage
  • Meet Me on Love Lane (Hopeless Romantics, #2)
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • Under the Tuscan Sun