Start by marking “The Devil We Knew: Americans and the Cold War” as Want to Read:
The Devil We Knew: Americans and the Cold War

The Devil We Knew: Americans and the Cold War

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In the late 1950s, Washington was driven by its fear of communist subversion: it saw the hand of Kremlin behind developments at home and across the globe. The FBI was obsessed with the threat posed by American communist party--yet party membership had sunk so low, writes H.W. Brands, that it could have fit "inside a high-school gymnasium," and it was so heavily infiltrated ...more
Published October 20th 1994 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published September 30th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil We Knew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil We Knew

Yvonne
Jul 30, 2011 added it
One of my favorite historians. I really enjoy his wit and approach to the Cold War. One of my favorite lines was "...Most Americans didn't want to see Reagan disgraced (after Iran-Contra). He was a nice old man, entirely unlike that shifty Richard Nixon..."

Thoroughly enjoyable, informative read.
Kami
Apr 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Not something I'd read of my own choosing, but it was interesting and informative. Many of the events mentioned in passing by the author I wish he would have explained at least the basics of, like the Iran-contra affair. I simply had no knowledge of them whatsoever, besides maybe hearing the name once or twice.
Lauren Albert
Mar 24, 2011 rated it liked it
The book could have been a four star for me if it weren't for the author's sarcasm. I couldn't figure out why it bothered me so much until I realized it was because it showed arrogance--an "I don't have to convince you because my correctness is so obvious" attitude. It was an otherwise interesting look at how Americans came to see the world in black and white (or communist or non-communist).
Chase Parsley
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
I revisited this book - I read much of it in college and sat down and read the whole thing again. I was unimpressed. Brands comes off as dull and it reads like a dry textbook. Style points aside, it is very well researched and covers the basics.
Kay Harden
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I may be biased, because my book is autographed and he taught my class on this book, but it is really intense and good. It has a ton of details, but if you want to really know the information behind the cold war, this is the book to go with!
Becca
Nov 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a lucid and engaging account of American history during the Cold War period. Brands writes with a great deal of wit and jam-packs a ton of info into a relatively short volume. While the density of the text made it a little slower going than usual for me, it was entirely worth it.
Derek
A brief but good summation of the cause of the Cold War and its perpetuation. Very balanced. Brands notes the impact of the Cold War not only on foreign relations and the military, but on the economy and civil rights.
Kelsey
Feb 02, 2009 added it
I'm having to read this class for American Foreign Policy. My professor actually wrote it..
Brenden
Jan 17, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The Devil We Knew: Americans and the Cold War by H. W. Brands (1993)
Brent L.
Oct 04, 2011
bud chapman
Apr 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Henry William Brands was born in Portland, Oregon, where he lived until he went to California for college. He attended Stanford University and studied history and mathematics. After graduating he became a traveling salesman, with a territory that spanned the West from the Pacific to Colorado. His wanderlust diminished after several trips across the Great Basin, and he turned to sales of a differen ...more
More about H.W. Brands...