Start by marking “Kid Activists: True Tales of Childhood from Champions of Change” as Want to Read:
Kid Activists: True Tales of Childhood from Champions of Change

Kid Activists: True Tales of Childhood from Champions of Change

(Kid Legends)

Published September 24th 2019 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Kid Activists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kid Activists

Start your review of Kid Activists: True Tales of Childhood from Champions of Change
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Jul 06, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
I think the alternate title should be:

Fearless Fetuses Fight For Freedom

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Christine
Disclaimer: I recieved an ARC of this book as a freebie in an order I had with Quirk Books.

This is a pretty good luck at the youth of people who became activists and some people who became activists as children. There are total of 16 main biographies as well as a total of 12 secondary mentions. For well known people, such as Rosa Parks, the focus in on thier childhood.

While the majority of people discussed are from the USA, the majority of the people discussed are people of color and women. If t
Meredith Ann
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, ebook
A great read for kids looking to learn more about what activism is and how it creates change. The artwork matches perfectly. I could see this being fairly popular in my branch, both with kids and their caregivers. Works well as a stepping off point for more resources and education on different kinds of activism.
Gina
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great for kids to learn about kids who are activists and who have helped changed the world both past and present and it covered a variety of them. While each is short, I think this is great to start and then kids can research further about these people. This book is inspiring.
Pumkin pie
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-books
I loved it! I learned about people I already knew and I learned about new people altogether!
Chari Regina
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a beautiful introduction into the lives of heroes of social change. I would recommend it for any elementary school children. The stories are not incredibly long and detailed but will keep the attention of any child and have them begin to dream about ways they may be able to make the world a better place.

I would add this to any classroom or library and buy this for my child as well!

The publisher provided an ARC through Netgalley. I have voluntarily decided to read and review, givin
Ebookwormy1
May 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
Kid Legends Series review…
Kid Legends is a multi-author, multi-illustrator series that is a big hit with students. The text and illustration have a casual style that often includes an undertone of sarcasm. Kid Legends is not as far over the edge or a busy as the “You Wouldn’t Want to be…” series, which I find annoying, but they use a little zest with the subject matter. This upbeat tone, even in the accounting of serious childhood struggles, maintains the positive message that all will come out
Maura
Reshamad
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Latest in the series of "Kid Legends", the Kid Activists is a chapter book for upper elementary, MG readers. The book documents 16 activists and their biographies as children under following categories:
Leading the way : featuring Susan B Anthony, Dolores Huerta, Harvey Milk, F. Douglass
Taking a stand: featuring Rosa Parks, Dr. M.L. King, James Baldwin, N Mandela
Unusual childhoods, powerful voices: featuring Emma Watson, Janet Mock, H Keller, A Hamilton
Child activists: featuring Ruby Bridges, Iqb
Cat
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book for the kid activist in your life! -or a collection of biographies! I enjoyed reading about some new people in this book: Emma Watson (Harry Potter's Hermione actress) and the late Iqbal Masih (child slave). Very empowering tales for all ages. There are many others in this book, many of whom I've read about over the years (and recommended for reading! ). The anger and despair that grows such bravery and drives one to fight back is so admirable. It's amazing what one person can accompli ...more
Kat
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Thank you @quirkbooks for the #gifted copy of Kid Activists: True Tales of Childhood from Champions of Change!

You guys!!!! Emma LOVES this book!!! She’s been reading it HERSELF. She was student of the month for November and her teacher said her thirst for knowledge is impressive and they are always surprised by the topics she brings up in class. MY HEART. She’s a real life Hermione.

Emma says that Kid Activists is easy for her to read and understand, she loves the illustrations for each activis
Katrina
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Kid Activists" offers an interesting mix of well-known and lesser-known activists, mostly focused on the United States, although there are a few from other countries. I couldn't understand how all of the people included were "kid" activists. Did it mean they were activists before 18? 20? People who became activists at some point in their life, but were once children? I think this would have done better to focus on the Iqbal Masihs and Autumn Peltiers of the world - young people who are mostly u ...more
Megan Schmelzer
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really loved the book, Kid Activists. The design and structure of the book is very kid-friendly. The short excerpts are perfect for my students. I loved how the book focussed on the impact that a child can have. It is a great text to put in front of my students in order to inspire and teach them. The selection of activists was diverse and well-down. I thought it had a good mix of names my students would know, as well as lots they wouldn't/
Nikki Morrissey
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a breath of fresh air to this mom of two young kids! I work hard every day to raise my kids to be kind and accepting members of society. There needs to be more books like this that I can read with my children, so I can teach them about activism and real heroes they can try to embody in their actions.
Alyssa
A great read for kids looking to learn more about what activism is and how it creates change. The artwork matches perfectly. Kid Activists is a great introduction to those activists and can inspire kids to want to learn more about them.

Thanks to the publisher for providing me access to the ARC.
Venessa H
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book for an individual lesson but more so a goal-oriented class project. Personally, I think this would make a great graduation portfolio for students going into Intermediate and High School.
Betsy
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book so much! The illustrations are absolutely exquisit. I bought a copy for my niece then had to get another for myself. I love how you can flip through the pages and the illustrations tell the stories of these amazing activists! It's a must purchase!
Samantha Long
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
These short stories have inspired me to fight for what I think is right. These strong people are role models, I have even choosen some of them to look up to, not because I just want to look up to someone, because I know that these activists have effected my life in many ways.
Krysta
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Source: ARC from BookCon
Abraham Ray
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read about the childhood of avtivists from around the world!
Cadie Sommer
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book to my 1st through 3rd grade class. They loved this book, especially the chapters about children who were children when they were activists. I would highly recommend this book.
Erin
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brief biographies of activists. Focuses on their childhoods. Most figures were known to me but some where unknown.
Margo
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I learned so much! I feel 10 times smarter! I got really sad when Iqbal masih died I was suppressed and sad.
Maya
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I learned so much!
Lisa Smith
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for kids to get interested in different activists.
Grace
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book, I learned a lot
Devan
Sep 22, 2020 added it
Awesome book! Lots of History
Sidd M
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Very good for learning about activists!
Aeicha
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kid Activists is a wonderfully engaging and inspiring read that explores the childhoods of some of history’s most admirable activists. Robin Stevenson brings these activists’ stories to life through captivating, easily understood text and well-researched, honest facts. I learned SO much that I never knew about so many of the awesome people highlighted in this book. Stevenson showcases activists that fought for many diverse rights, including LGBTQ+ rights, women’s rights, the rights of POC, disab ...more
Andréa
Note: I accessed digital review copies of this book through Edelweiss and NetGalley.

• Kid Scientists: True Tales of Childhood from Science Superstars
  • The Girl Who Married a Skull: and Other African Stories
  • Incognegro: Renaissance
  • Xena: Warrior Princess: Road Warrior
  • Roll with It
  • Nat Enough (Nat Enough #1)
  • Six Days in Cincinnati: A Graphic Account of the Riots That Shook the Nation a Decade Before Black Lives Matter
  • When Stars Are Scattered
  • The Moon Within
  • Stand Up, Yumi Chung!
  • Click
  • The Plain Janes
  • Kid Authors: True Tales of Childhood from Great Writers
Robin Stevenson is an award winning Canadian author of more than 25 books for teens and children. Her book PRIDE: CELEBRATING DIVERSITY AND COMMUNITY was a 2017 Stonewall Honor Book, and she has won or been a finalist for numerous other awards. Her other books include a board book called PRIDE COLORS, a picture book called GHOST'S JOURNEY, middle-grade non-fiction (KID ACTIVISTS) and fiction (RECO ...more

Kid Legends (7 books)
  • Kid Presidents: True Tales of Childhood from America's Presidents
  • Kid Athletes: True Tales of Childhood from Sports Legends
  • Kid Artists: True Tales of Childhood from Creative Legends
  • Kid Authors: True Tales of Childhood from Great Writers
  • Kid Scientists: True Tales of Childhood from Science Superstars
  • Kid Legends: True Tales of Childhood from the Books Kid Artists, Kid Athletes, KidPresidents, and Kid Authors

News & Interviews