Start by marking “Love's Belief” as Want to Read:
Love's Belief

Love's Belief

(Wartime Brides #3)

Midwife Pia Hertz and her mother Sabine have been delivering babies long before the Nazis came to power. Now, the Third Reich has implemented mandates that require Jewish babies and other “undesirables” to be killed as part of The Final Solution. Is Pia’s new faith in Christ strong enough to defy the laws of man?

Despite the agony of the injury at the Battle of Drøbak Sound
Published May 15th 2019 by Shortwave Press

To ask other readers questions about Love's Belief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love's Belief

Start your review of Love's Belief
Paula Shreckhise
Love’s Belief, Wartime Brides, Book 3 by Linda Shenton Matchett is a gripping tale set in Germany in 1943.

This book was a glimpse into the past where we get to see what it might have been like to live under Nazi rule during WWII. It is a picture of Christians caught between a corrupt government and what they know to be true and right.
Dieter has given his arm to the Fatherland in a previous battle and now, as a Christian, has conflicted feelings about Germany under Hitler. He is struggling to
Becka Jiménez
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Based on the story of the two midwives in the Bible who saved Jewish babies from slaughter, Linda Shenton Matchett has written a parallel story set during World War II. Proving the saying that “history repeats itself,” the similarities between the Biblical tale & the more modern version are uncanny & intriguing.

Pia & her mother are midwives in Germany, helping mothers bring their babies into the world during a dark & scary time, especially if either of the parents happened to be
Julia
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love’s Belief by Linda Shenton Matchett is a Christian historical novel set in Germany in 1943. It is the third book in the Wartime Brides series but can be read as a stand-alone.
This is a powerful book about having the courage and faith to stand up against the forces of evil. We have to trust God’s plans for our lives in the midst of this evil. “I have seen the worst man has to offer.” We must trust that God will deliver us but even if He does not, we will trust Him anyway.
Nazi Germany was a
Betti
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s 1943 in Berlin. The persecution of the Jews is becoming more and more obvious. All babies born in this time are to be reported to the Nazis, especially those of Jewish parents or one born with a disability. Pia and her mother are midwives who now must try to reconcile their Christian beliefs with this mandate.

Dieter is now a merchant since he lost his lower arm as a soldier for the Reich. Having had no choice as to whether he wanted to fight or not, he now has the chance to make a
Erin
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: celebrate-lit
My Thoughts on Love’s Belief:
Love’s Belief brings about such hard questions and revisits a very dark time in our history. Written with grace and lots of thought this book is amazing.

I really am a history lover and love reading titles pertaining to WWII. The series by Linda Matchett are fun and historically accurate to the best of my knowledge. They make me think and they make me cry. Guys they’re just really good books! I had the pleasure of reviewing the second book in the series as well as
Jeanie
Shelves: celebratelit
Love’s Belief is third in the author’s Wartime Brides series, and it is an excellent read for those who appreciate Christian WWII fiction. It can be read as a standalone. I am impressed with how much Linda Shenton Matchett puts into a story, including fine characterizations and historical details! This story is inspired by Shipra and Puah, midwives in Egypt who saved Jewish babies during the time of Pharaoh.

Pia and her mother, Sabine, are midwives in Berlin. Sabine has been a midwife for many
Deana Dick
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book is a look at how Jews were treated by Hitler. It is an eye opening account of the horrors they encountered trying to stay alive. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be taken from your home and separated from your family. Pia has a hard time understanding why God would allow such destruction to happen. Her heart is heavy as she sees everything around her slipping away. I loved that she had a big heart and wanted to help in any way she could. Being a midwife had it's dangers, ...more
Stephanie Norton
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love's Belief is the third book in Shenton Matchett's Wartime Bride series. THis book takes you back to World War II era. This can be a standalone book, but I would highly recommend reading the first two books of the series.
The story focuses on Pia and her mother, Sabine, who are midwives in Berlin during 1943. Pia doesn't have a husband or a boyfriend. They are seeing women loosing their husbands, wifes, friends who are Jews being rounded up and taken away.

Sabine and Pia turned to the Lord
Katie
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am always left in awe of the historical detail our author manages to educate us about in her books while offering an intriguing story that gives a modern retelling of a Biblical account. I feel she takes so many elements there and weaves them together so well. I found the history behind how midwifery was effected by the Nazi reign to be devastating and very informative. I found the way the action came about in the plot along with all the history was presented in such an intriguing way that I ...more
Jane
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love’s Belief is book three in Linda Matchett’s Wartime Brides series. It is a modern retelling of the two Hebrew midwives who refused to obey Pharaoh’s law requiring the murder of Jewish baby boys at their birth. Germany during World War II was not an easy place to be a Christian or stand up for Biblical beliefs. Linda Matchett has written an easy-read novella which shares the decisions midwives faced when delivering non-Aryan or “defective” babies. Matchett also shows the emotional side of ...more
Patti Pierce
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recently I have been on a historical fiction reading spree, so “Love’s Belief” fit that genre beautifully. Set during World War II in Germany, this work of fiction follows a German midwife and her mother along with a soldier who had been injured in the war.

Linda Shenton Matchett provides wonderful characters and excellent storylines. I could not put the book down until I finished it. Pia and her mother demonstrate strength of character.

Missing an arm because of a war injury, Dieter Fertig comes
Mary
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This historical novel takes readers right into the midst of World War II life in Berlin with danger lurking all around. Some citizens can’t understand why Jews have been targeted for destruction and try to help them. Among these are Pia and Sabine Hertz, local midwives. This daughter and mother, like the Hebrew midwives under Pharoah’s orders to kill babies, refuse to comply with Hitler’s demands. You sense the threat they feel as you join them in their daily experiences. Suspense and tension ...more
Becky Dempsey
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it

“Love’s Belief” is the third book in the Wartime Brides series. I found it to be well written and that it had a nice flow. I liked the spiritual thread woven through the story and how Pia and Dieter looked for God’s guidance in their lives. It was an interesting “modern” (it is set during WWII) retelling of the story of the midwives in Egypt who refused to follow the Pharaoh’s command to kill the male Hebrew babies. I appreciated how this story showed that not all Germans were happy with Hitler
Debbie
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing

"Love’s Belief" by Linda Shenton Matchett is the third book in the (Wartime Brides ) Series. It can be read as a stand alone. It is also a very short read of only 115 pages. This story is inspired by the biblical story of Shiprah and Puah, the midwives who saved Jewish babies during Pharaoh’s reign.

This is a story about two midwives being brave and saving lives even when it is against the Nazi's laws.

This story shows that even when one or two people do the right thing it can improve someone life
Melissa
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once again, I enjoyed this quick read that packs a big spiritual punch. This is the third book in this series. I really like the second and I have downloaded the first, which is free on Amazon.

We are thrown into WWII again and I learned things I never knew existed during that time, like Lebronsborn. I had no idea what that was but it really was thing. So horrible.

As with any short story the ending felt a bit rushed but I still enjoyed it and thought it was very well done. I loved the tie in with
Janice Sisemore
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Love’s Belief

A short book with a lot of meaning to it. Set during the war where Hitler was trying to get rid of the Jews. A very hard time for Germany.

Pia is a midwife working with Dieter. Being a midwife was a very important job but also dangerous during that time. Some of the babies born were Jewish.

I love reading historical books. Even though this book is short the author has to put a lot of time doing research. To see what things took place. We should never stop learning about history.

I
Jarm Boccio
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although I would have loved to read a full-length novel, Matchett packs a poignant story in these short pages. Paralleling the Exodus account of two midwives who defied Pharaoh’s orders and birthed Jewish babies, the author deftly recreates the story in Nazi Germany during WW2. The dialogue is natural and compelling, the characters believable, and the plot absorbing as we feel the tension of the times. You will feel Pia’s heart beat for the mothers, their babies and her new friend, Dieter!
Donna C
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
What I think you should know:
Love’s Belief is the third book in the Wartime Brides Series. It is a historical fiction set in Germany during Hitler’s reign and follow a mother/daughter pair of midwives who struggle with meeting the new demands on midwives. It also follows a veteran of Hitler’s army who is trying to find his place.

What you might want to know:
While this book is very short read it covered some very hard topics. The author is truthful about the atrocities that many Jewish people
SD
rated it did not like it
Aug 08, 2019
Jul 28, 2019
Lucy
Sep 10, 2019

• Identity Theft
  • The Awakening of Miss Adelaide (The Women of Rock Creek #3)
  • The Yellow Lantern
  • Fragments of Fear
  • Hadassah, Queen Esther of Persia
  • Termination Dust (Alaskan Refuge)
  • No Greater Love (Shadows Over Whitman #1)
  • Jessie and James (Gold Diggers #3)
  • Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • Midnight on the River Grey
  • Married to a Stranger
  • Pulse (Pulse Effex #1)
  • Frost Heaves (Alaskan Refuge)
  • Surf Smugglers (The Legacy of Sunset Cove #3)
  • Strands of Truth
  • Love and Other Mistakes
  • Riptide Rumors (The Legacy of Sunset Cove #2)
  • Meghan’s Choice (Known by Heart)
Linda Shenton Matchett was born in Baltimore, MD a stone's throw from Fort McHenry, and she has lived in historical places most of her life from Edison, NH (named for the inventor of the light bulb) to Washington, DC. She currently lives in central NH where she is dining services/catering manager for a boarding high school. When she is not writing, she volunteers as a docent at the Wright World ...more

Wartime Brides (3 books)