Start by marking “A Hand for the Duke (The Ladies' Wagering Whist Society, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Hand for the Duke (The Ladies' Wagering Whist Society, #1)

A Hand for the Duke

(The Ladies' Wagering Whist Society #1)

Can the Ladies of the Wagering Whist Society help an impoverished modiste win the hand of a sought-after Duke?

Tina Rowan is beautiful, talented—and wants nothing more than to be free of her past. The illegitimate daughter of a baroness, she is being blackmailed by her own foster-father. She must rely on her flair for designing dresses to earn enough to pay him off. Startin
Published April 15th 2019 by Anessa Books (first published April 2019)

To ask other readers questions about A Hand for the Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hand for the Duke

Start your review of A Hand for the Duke (The Ladies' Wagering Whist Society, #1)
N.N. Light
Tina Rowen is the illegitimate daughter of her mother, Lady Norman. Her foster father is a greedy bastard who tries to trap Tina into marrying his brute of a son, Caleb. But sneaky Tina outsmarts him. She heads for London and with the help of her mother, becomes a popular modiste among the ton. When she is summoned by the Duke of Warwick to create two dresses for his sister, she’s unsure what to make of the duke. He’s borderline rude and standoffish. But the more she’s around him, the more her f ...more
InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

Balancing the romance of Tina and the Duke, with that of her biological parents, the characters are compelling with depth, quirks, and variety that make the reader want to devour the next book immediately.

Read full review in the 2019 May issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Maria Dariotis
The Ladies’ Wagering Whist Society book 1
by Meredith Bond

This was a really entertaining read, a wagering society for women how fabulous is that! Tina Rowan is a beautiful talented young woman. Her past is forever haunting her, all she wants is to make beautiful dresses. When her blackmailing foster-father demands money she needs ton business and that’s not an easy task. Luck is on her side (in more ways than she knows) and she is hired as the modiste for the Duke of Warwick’s
Dr
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Riveting Story

By the end of the first chapter, this book had me hooked completely. I wanted to know all about Tina, her mother, and her father. Why had she been raised as a foster child? Then their was the Duke and his sister. Who was the lord that so understood women’s fashion? This book was good from the beginning to the end.
Judy Munoz
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book. Wow! I was blown away by this book! This is a charming historical romance with a bit of a twist. All of the characters were unique and engaging and believable. I particularly loved Tina and Warwick. Their chemistry and devotion to each other was obvious and heartwarming. I was hooked from the first chapter and the book was next to impossible to put down. The story was full of drama, sorrow, intrigue, misunderstandings, suspense and drea ...more
Phylis Collins
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-regency
The plot and characters are well developed. It is a heartfelt story filled with lots of twists and turns that held my interest throughout. It’s a story that’s well worth reading. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
My free opinion. Thanks.
Mrs Caroline Trevor
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this a really good book. Tina is a strong character. She has been brought up by a horrible family but still manages to shine because of them. She gets her dream to become a modiste to the haute ton and meets lots of lovely people who take her to their heart especially Lady Margaret and her brother the Duke of Warwick. Can she take a place in society which is her birthright.
Marti
A Hand for the Duke by Meredith Bond is the first book in the Ladies Wagering Whist Society Series. The book is a historical romance with one of the major connective tissues the Ladies Whist game that happened weekly. The other major connective tissue was the Tina Rowan, the illegitimate daughter of one of the members.

Tina Rowan has to leave her life and start again. She does not want to be forced to marry her cruel step brother. She makes a bargain and sets off to take London by storm as modis
Virginia Tican
Nov 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Colonial... ergo, not English. English society and its centuries old class distinction could never be changed not even in a fictional Regency setting unless this is a fantasy or time~travel... thus, a bastard seamstress or even an exemplary modiste like Tina would not even think to be in equal footing with her betters despite being fathered by a peer (and even birthed by one)... bastards, even the acknowledged ones, unless one is a king like William the Conqueror, different timeline) do carry th ...more
Heather W
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait to read more of the Ladies Wagering Whist Society series. This first book was a wonderful romantic story. The characters are well-described in such a way that you can almost see them as well as feel their hopes and dreams.

Christianne loved her daughter but was forced to give her away at birth due to society’s constraints. Tina became a strong, independent, smart woman, but one who was being blackmailed by her foster father. Warwick, the Duke, was attracted to Tina from the beginning
Charlene
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a wonderful historical, Tina is such a sweet character. Out of desperation to avoid a bad marriage arranged by her foster father, Tina becomes a modiste. She loves designing clothes and plans to make this business work. When she is asked to design and make a gown for the Duke of Warwick's sister, there is chemistry between her and the Duke. A fun read, this book will make you laugh and cry. You will want to keep turning the pages to see what happens next. This is the first book I have read by th ...more
DarkRaven Reviews
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautifully written and the flow of the storyline was superb. Most historical/regency romances have way too much over the top romance but this one was balanced particularly nicely. It definitely kept me turning those pages and I must say that I devoured this in one sitting. Cannot wait to read more. This is without a doubt one of my new favourite authors. I found myself transported through time watching the events as they unfolded as though I was actually there. A mark of a true autho ...more
Linda Rutland
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Modiest to Duchess

An illegitimate daughter of London society raised by a foster family gets a chance to move to London and start her business as a modiest. Her mother his sponsoring her but hasn't acknowledged her nor has she told the father. These are great characters and a wonderful story. You'll enjoy the ladies of the Wagering Whist Society.
Sandra Tomas
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful

Beautiful story with a wonderful story line, these are my favorite kinds of stories,,where in the end our
Heroine, is a heiress, even though
Her parents were never married,
This is a story that will warm your heart, and where love and friendship
Doesn't let the ton get in there way.
Emma-Kate
Dec 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
I found most of the characters behaviour highly unrealistic and non-conforming to Regency Society's rigid standards. I found these historical inaccuracies bothersome and although I tried I just did not enjoy the story or characters.

I greatly regret purchasing this book and will not be continuing with the series.
Blrystrom
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
An easy light day's read

I enjoyed this tale but there were historical inaccuracies that bothered me enough to keep from giving it a 5 star rating. Also, I found myself more interested in the hero's sister and the heroine's biological parents than I did in the 2 main characters.
Janet Russell
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Happily ever after

For more than one. But our main heroine definitely is a talented woman with pluck and fortitude who seems to have upended the unflappable duke of propriety and he knows naught what to do about it as she is of the working class or so the ton thinks but......
ECReads
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Unlikely Romance

If you can disregard how unlikely this story is, you might enjoy it. There are good characters and heartwarming scenes. Also, the Ladies' Wagering Whist Society is a good idea for a book series. I plan to read further to see if I enjoy them more.
Gracie Barnette
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Story!

Well written story . Believable characters . You have given us a great romance that indicates the sexual attraction without details it. It's a story I can enjoy and not be embarrassed to share with younger members of my family. Thank you.

Lisa Barry
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Marvelous characters

Fell l in love with the characters and the support they have for one another. The bad guys don’t get it as badly as I would have liked but the rest of the story is adventurous, joyful and fun.
Ellen Hedden
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed!

This is my first book by this author. She writes in a descriptive manner that helps the reader visualize everything in the book.
I liked the h and the H very much. However, the h’s mother was a wimp and made things tougher for her daughter bc she was selfish.
Cordelia Linder
Jan 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
What a disappointing Tease

First time reading this author and what a disappointment in a ridiculous round about story and most important, no sex. Maybe this author does not write sizzling sexy stories, but I was not expecting this crap.
Dessi Bradecich
Jun 06, 2020 rated it liked it
A light read without much of substance. Easy read not requiring full and undivided attention. Reminds me of the movies of the early Hollywood- not much drama or trauma, and at the end all is well without much twists. A feel good novel.
James Ronald Sutton
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable cute book

I truly enjoyed the book, sad Tina had to. bargain for her freedom from her stepfather a greedy hateful man, glad she was able to find freedom & love , with the help of her mother.
OvercommuniKate
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was ok
Historically inaccurate but if someone wants a cheap or free romance novel, it is well written. No sex scenes and they get married before anything untoward happens so while no religious overtones, I think someone who is looking for a non-bodice ripping regency novel will be happy.
Deepti
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

Beautiful, well written romance with likeable leads and a happy ever after.
I couldn't put the book down till I reached the end.
carol ann miller
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

This was truly a wonderful book. Two stories in one made this book even better. The characters were so real that I could not put the book down until I was finished.
Liz Kuchel
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the cover of this book - appropriate to the story. A delicious read with a happy ending. Well written.
Janet Griffith
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun read

Interesting characters mixed with unexpected events. Love the use of emotions to show how people can get things so misunderstood.
Marjorie M. Lotz
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Hand for the Duke

What fun to read through these pages and follow this love story from start to finish. I recommend this book highly!

• A Duke She Can't Refuse (The Impossible Balfours Book 1)
  • Where Hearts Meet (Jasmine Cottage #1)
  • My Fair Guardian
  • The American Duke (The Stafford Sisters, #2)
  • Wickeds Scandal (The Wickeds #1)
  • Seduced by a Prince (Imposters, #1)
  • My True Love Gave to Me (The Marvelous Munroes #1)
  • Waltz Of The Wallflower (Delicate Hearts, #1)
  • Dealing with the Viscount (Improper Wives for Proper Lords series Book 1)
  • Winning Lady Jane (Ladies Of Bath, #0.5)
  • The Earl's Christmas Consultant (Wedding Trouble, #3)
  • A Night Rose for the Duke
  • To Follow Her Heart (Girls Who Dare #4)
  • Oppressed and Empowered: The Viscount's Capable Wife (Love's Second Chance: Tales of Damsels and Knights, #5)
  • A Duke for Daisy (The Blooming Brides #1)
  • A Sinful Duke She Can't Refuse
  • My Forbidden Duchess (The Man of My Dreams #3)
  • Project Duchess (Duke Dynasty, #1)
Meredith Bond's books straddle that beautiful line between historical romance and fantasy. An award-winning author, she writes fun traditional Regency romances, medieval Arthurian romances, and Regency romances with a touch of magic. Known for her characters “who slip readily into one’s heart,” Meredith loves to take her readers on a journey they won't soon forget. She is currently living in Europ ...more

The Ladies' Wagering Whist Society (6 books)
  • Jack of Diamonds (The Ladies' Wagering Whist Society, #2)
  • The Games She Played (The Ladies' Wagering Whist Society Book 3)
  • A Trick of Mirrors (Ladies' Wagering Whist Society #4)
  • A Bid for Romance (The Ladies' Wagering Whist Society, #5)
  • An Affair of Hearts (The Ladies' Wagering Whist Society, #6)

News & Interviews