Jump to ratings and reviews
Blue Ridge library director Amy Webber learns it wasn't all peace and love among the "flower children" when a corpse is unearthed on the grounds of a 1960s commune.

Taylorsford Public Library director Amy Webber's friend "Sunny" Fields is running for mayor. But nothing puts a damper on a campaign like an actual skeleton in a candidate's closet. Sunny's grandparents ran a commune back in the 1960s on their organic farm. But these former hippies face criminal charges when human remains are found in their fields--and a forensic examination reveals that the death was neither natural nor accidental.

With Sunny's mayoral hopes fading, Amy sets her wedding plans aside, says "not yet" to the dress, and uses her research skills to clear her best friend's family. Any of the now-elderly commune members could have been the culprit. As former hippies perish one by one, Amy and her friends Richard, Aunt Lydia, and Hugh Chen pursue every lead. But if Amy can't find whoever killed these "flower children," someone may soon be placing flowers on her grave.

304 pages, Kindle Edition

First published January 7, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Victoria Gilbert

14 books603 followers
Victoria Gilbert, raised in the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountain, turned her early obsession with reading into a dual career as an author and librarian.

When not writing or reading, she likes to spend her time watching films, gardening, or traveling. She lives in North Carolina with her husband, son, and some very spoiled cats.

Victoria is a member of Sisters in Crime and Mystery Writers of America, and is represented by Frances Black of Literary Counsel, NY, NY.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
37 (2%)
1 star
8 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 262 reviews
Profile Image for Phrynne.
3,111 reviews1,975 followers
January 3, 2020
This turned out to be a light, entertaining read and not affected at all by the fact that I have previously only read #1. There had been some character development in the two in between books but nothing that made any difference to my understanding of events.

The story was good although a little far fetched from time to time and Amy seems determined to get herself into trouble. I enjoyed the relationship between Amy and her boyfriend. I did not at all foresee the murderer, in fact the identity was a big surprise. Maybe I had not been concentrating enough and missed some clues.

Altogether a good read and one I would recommend especially to fans of the cosy genre.

My thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Profile Image for PamG.
762 reviews431 followers
July 10, 2019
Bound for Murder is the first book that I have read by Victoria Gilbert. This cozy mystery is set in Taylorsford, Virginia near the Blue Ridge Mountains and was very enjoyable.

The female protagonist, Amy Webber, is a library director in a small town. She loves research and has helped the police in the past. While this is the fourth book in the series it worked well as a standalone novel, although it may add to the enjoyment and understanding of the characters to read them in order.

Amy’s best friend, Sunny Fields, is running for mayor and was raised by her grandparents who run an organic farm, but in the 1960s it was a commune. When human remains are found on their property, both the police and Sunny’s grandparents enlist Amy’s help. Amy has research to do, people to talk with, and a mystery to solve while she plans her wedding to next door neighbor Richard and supports Sunny’s mayoral campaign.

The book is well-written with the right mix of humor and suspense. There are several potential suspects and enough twists and turns to keep the reader interested. The pacing is just right, but has more intense moments than a lot of cozy mysteries, which added to my enjoyment. The characters are well developed with a charming mix of personalities ranging from likable, intelligent, and independent to quirky to annoying to deceptive. There were several themes addressed within the book including library management, organic farming, county fairs, murder, grief, revenge, deception, wedding planning, drugs, communes and much more.

I recommend this book to readers that like a good mystery, and I look forward to reading other books in the series.

Thanks to NetGalley, Crooked Lane Books and Victoria Gilbert for an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Natalia  R.
275 reviews155 followers
December 11, 2019
Library director Amy Webber's best friend and co-worker Sunny Fields is running for mayor. But when a skeleton is found in her grandparents' farm, it threatens to put a damper on her campaign. With Sunny's grandparents under suspicion, Amy uses her research skills to help them prove their innocence.

This is a wonderful series and each book gets better and better. The story is well developed with enough suspects, twists, and turns to keep readers guessing until the reveal. As always, I love the way the town's history is woven into the present. This is one of my favorite cozy mystery series, so it's always fun to catch up with all the characters. Victoria Gilbert has created a well-developed cast of characters that you will care about and root for. While this isn't my favorite book in Blue Ridge Library Mysteries, it is still an enjoyable read and a great addition to the series. I look forward to reading the next book.

Thank you to NetGalley, Crooked Lane Books, and Victoria Gilbert for the opportunity to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Brenda.
3,971 reviews2,585 followers
January 3, 2020
Sunny Fields was Taylorsford’s library director Amy Webber’s best friend; she lived with her grandparents on their property, which was an organic farm but used to be a commune back in the 60s. Amy loved research and had helped the police before, so when a skeletal body was found at the farm, she was happy to assist. But with the death looking like murder, and Sunny’s bid for mayor becoming uncertain, Amy set about finding and interviewing the commune members to get some answers.

When Amy started receiving threatening messages, her fiancé Richard and Aunt Lydia along with the police chief warned her to be careful. But it wasn’t in Amy’s nature to take a back seat when her friends needed help. Would she get the results she needed before it was too late?

Bound for Murder is the 4th in the Blue Ridge Library Mystery series by Victoria Gilbert, and another light and entertaining romp among the books, with murder on the side. Amy is a strong, determined young woman, while Sunny is feisty – between the two of them they make a good team. The town of Taylorsford, Virginia is filled with the usual small-town residents – most good, some not so - which makes for an enjoyable mystery. I’m already looking forward to #5 and highly recommend this one and the series.

With thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my digital ARC to read in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Chatting About Cozies.
1,116 reviews48 followers
November 1, 2019
An interesting investigation into a missing person case livens and endangers the lives of library director, Amy Webber and her best friend and assistant, Sunny Fields. Author Victoria Gilbert lines the shelves with clues and distractions relating to a local commune in the 1960’s and the flow of drugs and resulting addictions that disrupted the lives of several families.

I found the key suspects an eclectic bunch and hard to tell if they’d cleaned up their lives since the 60’s, or not. My guesses as to the murderer’s identity didn’t pan out; therefore, I was surprised by the killer reveal. This is book 4 in this series and the first I’ve read, and I was easily drawn to Amy and her fiancé, Richard and their families, plus Sunny and her grandparents. I look forward to catching up on the Blue Ridge Library series beginning with book 1.

I reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and Crooked Lane. Thank you. My review is honest and unbiased.
Profile Image for Sahitya.
1,003 reviews200 followers
November 14, 2019
This was a fun mystery novel which is pretty fast paced and I could breeze through it in just a few hours. I liked the main character Amy and the meticulous research she did in trying to solve the murder mystery but unfortunately it was the actual mystery that I found a bit unrealistic. The connections drawn between a commune, hippies, drugs and music and lyrics after many decades seemed a bit far fetched and I can’t say I really liked many of the side characters either. But Amy and Richard were a sweet couple and I definitely enjoyed their scenes together, especially their exploits with the cats.

It wasn’t a bad book at all and I think it’s just maybe not my type. I have a feeling that fans of the cozy mystery novel will appreciate it more.
Profile Image for Kate Baxter.
538 reviews39 followers
October 19, 2019
3.5 / 5 stars

Looking for an enjoyable classic cozy mystery, then this book would suit you well. It stars Amy Webber, library director for the town of Taylorsford. She's definitely not your typical meek, four-eyed, mature librarian. She's bright, young, loves to do research and is curious to a fault. Perhaps a bit too curious. Her attempts to aid the local constabulary on yet another murder investigation draw the attention of a murderer who adamantly wants her to stop her sleuthing before someone gets hurt. That just makes Amy mad and rather more curious. But can she solve the mystery and escape unscathed? Only time will tell.

Although this is the fourth book in "A Blue Ridge Mountain Library Mystery" series, at no point does one feel at a loss for not having read the other three books. The story hangs well on it own and provides one with an enjoyable read. My one regret is that although the local constabulary make a number of appearances within this story, all of the sleuthing appears to be done by the protagonist, Amy Webber. I personally prefer stories that engage respectful dialogue/banter between the sleuth(s) and the detectives over the course of the book. Regardless, the book is well written and the characters are well fleshed out. There's a number of twists, turns and a barrel of red herrings. A bit of light humor is laced throughout. But the charm of the story is the plucky librarian and her cadre of clever friends. Though this was my first foray into Taylorsford, it assuredly, will not be my last.

I am grateful to author Victoria Gilbert and her publisher, Crooked Lane Books for having provided a free e-book through NetGalley. Their generosity, however, has not influenced this review - the words of which are mine alone.
Profile Image for Tari.
2,049 reviews66 followers
January 22, 2020
I've loved this series from the beginning! There was a cold case to start things off, then the bodies started falling. Amy was actually helping the police with research into the cold case which involved a 60s commune on the farm where Sunny lived with her grandparents. There was a nice variety of suspects, and Amy managed to make one of them nervous enough to start sending her threats and taking shots at her.

I wasn't sure about the killer, so that was a good twist along with who the cold case killer was. The showdown was exciting, and Sunny got to prove herself a worthy opponent for a killer. I really liked how when it was all wrapped up, there was still more story to read to help wind down from the excitement of catching the killer. The ending was especially sweet!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher via NetGalley, and my opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Kerrin .
275 reviews234 followers
November 26, 2019
Bound For Murder by Victoria Gilbert is the 4th book in the Blue Ridge Library Mystery Series. The series focuses on Amy Webber, the library director in Taylorsford, Virginia. Amy’s best friend is Sunny Fields, who works with her at the library. In this book, Sunny is running for mayor. Sunny’s grandparents own Vista View, an organic farm that had been a commune back in the 1960’s. Amy, who is known for her research abilities, is asked by Chief Deputy Brad Tucker to research people who had gone missing after a skeleton is found on Vista View during by a county excavation crew. What effect will this finding have on Sunny’s mayorial chances?

Amy has a strong suspicion that the bones belonged to Jeremy Adams, a former musician and drug addict, who had disappeared after leaving the commune. Once that is confirmed, Amy is asked by Sunny’s grandparents to contact former commune members and alert them about the investigation. In her research, she finds that a commune member has recently died under mysterious circumstances. Another commune member is murdered the day after speaking to Amy. Other members, including a famous poet who recently moved to Taylorsford, become very suspects due to their strange behavior during the investigation. All of them, along with Sunny’s grandparents, seem to be keeping a secret.

A wealthy neighbor who was a former drug dealer during the heyday of the commune, along with several other people, try to warn Amy to stay out of the investigation. She receives threatening letters and there is a break-in at the library. An investigative reporter shows up, but he is rather vague about his personal connection with someone who formerly lived at the commune. Amy tries to play matchmaker since she thinks the reporter would be a good match for Sunny, who has recently broken up with Brad Tucker.

Using her fiance’ Richard as her sounding board, Amy is able to stitch together pieces of what happened through her own research, observation skills, and conversations with the former commune members. Unfortunately, just as the final piece comes together at the county fair, she is abducted. Will Amy ever get to plan her wedding with Richard?

This is the first novel I have read by Victoria Gilbert. It is a stand-alone novel, but I found myself wishing I had read the first three in the series to have a better understanding of the relationships between Amy, her family, and friends.

RATING: 5 Stars. Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.

If you would like to see Recipes For Readers Recommendation: Death By Chocolate cake, check out my blog www.kerrinsbookreviews.com. It is TO DIE FOR!
Profile Image for Ell.
457 reviews54 followers
July 1, 2019
This is a well-written series with interesting plots and believable characters. I was first introduced to author Victoria Gilbert with the book, Shelved Under Murder, the second in A Blue Ridge Library Mystery series. The book was fun and entertaining and inspired me to read the rest in the series. Bound for Murder is a delightful mix of mystery and charm. I won’t summarize the plot here since you can read the book description yourself. What I will say is the story is well-developed and the ending is satisfying.
Profile Image for LORI CASWELL.
2,349 reviews268 followers
January 19, 2020
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Library Director Amy Webber finds herself in the middle of another murder mystery, this time one that happened sometime in the 1960s.

Amy’s friend Sunny Fields needs her help. A skeleton has been found on her grandparent’s farm. A farm with a colorful past. Her grandparents, Carol & P.J. Fields, ran a commune there back in the days of free love and enlightenment. The skeleton is soon identified as a member of the commune who was thought to have followed his dream and headed West. The investigation also shows the man had been murdered. With Sunny running for mayor she needs to get to the truth as soon as possible. Amy uses her stellar research skills to track down and meet with former members of the commune knowing any one of them could be the killer.

Sheriff Investigator Brad Tucker asked her to help with the case by doing a little research. He isn’t happy when she actually starts pursuing leads on her own. He tries to rein her in when she receives several warnings to back off on her snooping, including vandalism at the library but she doesn’t back down.

Amy is also getting pressure on the homefront to start planning her wedding especially from her future mother-in-law Fiona, who has some grand plans.

___

Again, Victoria Gilbert has her characters digging into the past and through that, we meet an eclectic group of former “hippies” all to catch a killer. In the guise of notifying them about the skeleton being found and “warning” them that the police may be contacting them as Sunny’s grandparents had asked, Amy gets up close and personal with the suspects. This approach was a nice twist. I really enjoyed the way Amy fulfilled her promise while still getting information.

All of Ms. Gilbert’s characters are well defined and easily visualized. The core character’s stories continue to evolve realistically. Amy is very dedicated to her job as is Richard when it comes to anything related to dance and movement. Sunny like Amy is very determined and independent. It is to see why they are friends and how well they work together. Fiona is over the top, turning her nose up at almost everything, but Amy and Richard are learning how to deal with her. I like that Sheriff Investigator Brad Tucker knows what a great resource he has in Amy and that he is realizing she just can’t help but to get involved in his cases.

The mystery this time was a tricky one because of the amount of time that has passed since the death, the age of the suspects, another murder, and twist upon twist upon twist. I truly thought I was on the right course to solving this mystery then suddenly there was a twist that turned all my theories inside out but got Amy on the right track. There was some edge of seat moments to raise our blood pressure as we got close to the end of the book. Nicely done Ms. Gilbert, I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough.

Bound for Murder has engaging characters paired with some shady ones that keep both readers and our protagonist on our toes. A very well-written mystery with a true romance and just a bit of humor to lighten things up. A strong addition to this series. I do recommend reading them in order but this one can stand on its own.
Profile Image for Betty.
2,006 reviews50 followers
July 20, 2019
A fast moving read with a lot of activity with unusual ending is the fourth book of the Blue Ridge Library series. Amy Webber is busy planning her wedding to Richard. Her friend and liberty assistant, Sunny Fields
has decided to run for major. Her opponent the current major has launch a negative campaign against Sunny. Things are going great until a construction crew find a skeleton on Sunny's grandparents' farm. Amy is helping the police by doing searches on missing people years ago. The skeleton is identified as Jeremy Adams who went missing in 1960. Jeremy left the commune run by the Sunny's grandparents to go to the Los Angles area to further his musical career. How is Sunny run for Mayor going? Why was Jeremy at the Festival the next year? Does Amy have the gift of sight? I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK AND SERIES.

Disclosure: Thanks to Crooked Lane Books for a copy through NetGalley. The opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Vicki.
2,143 reviews82 followers
January 13, 2020
Prior to reading this book provided to me by NetGalley, I decided to read the first three books in the series and I'm really glad I did. I got to meet new characters in each book and watch them grow and see the town's people and how they interacted and so forth.

This series takes place in Taylorsford, Virginia, where Amy Webber is a librarian. She and Richard Muir have developed a love interest over the development of the series. In addition to that, they keep somehow stumbling across murder cases by finding dead bodies or bones.

This book is centered around missing persons, one of whom is an African American. The mystery is whether this man simply left, if he might have been killed, or something else happened to him. It seems that most everyone knew of this man and everyone has their own opinion as to what happened to him. As Amy investigates, things get kind of crazy as she discovers some unknown things about many of the townspeople.

I loved how the characters grow, interact with each other, and you get the feel of a small town where everyone knows everyone else. I thoroughly enjoyed this series and this book. I'm glad I discovered a new to me author and I'll definitely read her again.

I was given an ARC of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Kirsti.
2,456 reviews83 followers
July 15, 2019
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read this book!

I have read the first book in this series, but not books two or three. Reading this new one makes me want to go back and see what I missed, because this was excellent. A cold case with half the suspects missing or deceased, and the rest aren't talking. It was always going to be hard to work out what happened but the eventual resolution was very satisfying. It involved more than one character and time line in the end which just added depth and made it even harder to guess.

There is a good, solid romance here and it's not your usual sleuth/detective one. That made it extra refreshing and memorable. There are some great friendships too, but it will be interesting to see how Sunny goes with her new venture.

A really good cozy and not like one you've read before. Five stars.
Profile Image for Jerri Cachero.
571 reviews49 followers
January 8, 2020
What happens to senior "hippies"? Well, in Bound for Murder, a 1960's commune is filled with intrigue, jealousy, "free love" and murder and becomes the setting for a past and present day mystery.

When the remains of a talented musician/songwriter are found on the commune property, Amy Webber is determined to prove that her best friend's, Sunny Fields, grandparents Carol and P.J. were not involved in the murder. Making matters worse, the grandparents are being unusually secretive and with Sunny campaigning for Mayor, it doesn't look good for the Fields family. Amy decides to use her research skills, as the town librarian to help her bring justice to a life that was cut short and to help her friend.

The book was enjoyable and the mystery kept me guessing. I liked the investigation into the people who lived at the commune and what their lives were now. Amy is a strong-willed main character who was sincere in her desire to help. While that determination was admirable, it also put her in dangerous situations, I wish she had been more forthcoming with law enforcement. The ending was satisfying and I'm intrigued by the Kurt character! Overall, it has a great mystery and I will definitely read the next book.

I received an ARC from NetGalley for a fair and honest review of this book.
Profile Image for Gloria.
782 reviews55 followers
January 1, 2020
As Amy and Richard plan their future together while dealing with his mother, events are heating up for Sunny Fields, Amy's assistant at the Taylorsford Library, as her run for mayor is threatened by the discovery of a decades old skeleton on her grandparents organic farm. The grands had a commune on the farm in the sixties where they lived the life of hippies. That means that many of the residents were into drugs. The skeleton turns out to be a former commune member, a young man who has been missing for years, and was apparently murdered.
Amy is asked by the grands to warn former commune members that the police may question them. Sheriff investigator Brad Tucker once again wants Amy to do research to help the investigation but to keep quiet about it. A couple of the members have been killed or died a suspicious death. Someone has something to hide and doesn't want Amy to meddle into the situation and she gets several close warnings. Of course, the current mayor and his wife are enjoying the negative atmosphere surrounding Sunny and her family. Things are very tense in Taylorsford until the mystery is solved with a surprising ending.
I received a complimentary ARC from Crooked Lane Books through NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are mine only.
Profile Image for Mayda.
2,930 reviews58 followers
August 9, 2020
Sunny is running for mayor, and her friend Amy is behind her. But her campaign hits a major snag when a skeleton is found on Sunny’s grandparents’ property. Back in the 60s, they briefly had a commune there, with all the problems drugs and free love brought. They reformed decades ago, but when this skeleton was identified as a former resident, it came back to bite them. This is a fast paced tale, with clues and a red herring or two to trip up readers trying to solve the mystery. The bodies start to pile up, and former hippies are not the only ones targeted. Great characters, wonderful writing, and an intriguing plot combine for an entertaining tale.
Profile Image for Lori.
1,164 reviews32 followers
November 28, 2020
When an old corpse's remains turn up on a farm that once housed a hippie commune, Amy Webber helps the police with a bit of research and helps the farm's owners warn old commune members. Of course, she ends up asking questions of her own which endanger her. She's also making wedding plans with Richard and helping with Sunny's mayoral campaign. While there are several obvious clues pointing to the responsible person, the author incorporates enough red herrings to make it interesting, even for those who are not fooled by them. It failed to captivate the reader as some books do, making it easy to put down after reading a few chapters.
Profile Image for Fred.
941 reviews38 followers
January 14, 2020
Bound For Murder is the fourth book in the Blue Ridge Library Mystery series.

Amy and Richard’s wedding is not too far off and Amy is anxiously awaiting her wedding day. Many of the residents of Taylorsford have been offering her wedding planning suggestion and Richard’s mother feels that anything in Taylorsford is suitable for the wedding of her son.

Amy’s assistant at the library, Sunny, is running for mayor of the town. Amy is willing to help any way she can, but still, she has to try to avoid any confrontations with the current mayor. But soon Sunny’s run for mayor may be in jeopardy when a body is found buried on Sunny’s grandparent��s farm. The body is unidentifiable, but the grandfather tells Amy that the farm used to be a commune in the 1960s. He also shares that a young man, Jeremy Adams, has disappeared around 1963. The group wasn’t concerned about his disappearance as he often talked of heading to Los Angles to pursue a music career. It is determined that the body is in fact that of Adams and his death wasn’t from natural causes. Amy will need to call on her friends to help solve the death of Adams to help Sunny chance to win the mayoral election.

I always look forward to reading the next book in this enjoyable series. They are always well-written and interesting stories and it’s great to visit with the interesting residents of Taylorsford.
Profile Image for June.
571 reviews20 followers
October 4, 2019
I hadn't read the other books in the series, but it didn't really affect my ability to follow this mystery. The premise (murderous secrets of an old hippie commune being unearthed by a small-town librarian) was interesting. As I am about the same age as the protagonist and her friend, I could in some ways relate to her, although most elder millennials I know would avoid using landline phones or chatting up eccentric strangers in person like the plague. Anyway. The plot moves quickly. This would be a great beach or plane read!

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a digital ARC!
Profile Image for Sue Em.
1,132 reviews49 followers
February 5, 2020
Any Webber's life is pretty good right now, a wonderful fiancee, dream job as director of the Blue Ridge Library and supportive friends and family. But her BFF's grandparents have found a skeleton on their organic farm, a farm that served as a commune back in the days of peace and love. Amy can't help getting involved to help figure out the skeleton's identity and clear the name of her friend's family. A fun series. Fast paced, well written with an engaging cast of characters. Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
50 reviews2 followers
January 22, 2020
I'm sad to report that this was my least favorite of the series. Thus far the characters have been interesting but this story line was too predictible, too soon and the dialog between the engaged couple wears thin.
Profile Image for Katreader.
686 reviews25 followers
January 12, 2020
BOUND FOR MURDER by Victoria Gilbert
The Fourth Blue Ridge Library Mystery

Sunny's grandparents are always mellow and full of light and love, after all, they ran a commune on what's now their now organic farm in the 1960s. But the county dredging up the creekbed adjoining their farm has them getting upset. The noise and possible destruction of trees is nothing compared to what the workers discover- a human skeleton. Everyone is quick to blame the grands, especially when the remains turn out to be those of a former commune member. Librarian Amy Webber agrees to give former commune members a heads up that a visit from law enforcement officials could be imminent while also assisting the Sheriff with some research. However, when a former commune member is shot and Amy is warned to stay away from the investigation, she decides to simply be more discrete. Will her research uncover the truth before she's put out of circulation?

The danger of old secrets coming to light is the crux of this fourth Blue Ridge Library Mystery. Blame, regret, and shame can fester. Things thought left far behind can reappear and wreak havoc on the life you've made, opening up old wounds and causing new hurts.

I truly enjoy a novel where an old crime is the heart of the mystery. I appreciate when most of the suspects are of a certain age. Old timers can be just as dangerous as the youth, and Kurt is a prime example of that.

Relationships continue to play a major role here. Amy and Richard hit their stride while planning a wedding with"help" from almost everyone-from strangers to family. How they deal with Richard's mother and two mischievous scene stealers is stellar! Then there are the relationships between friends, couples, and family, all providing even more meat to the story.

An intricately plotted mystery with lots of red herrings and subtle clues, BOUND FOR MURDER shows that past decisions can not only impact you, but those around you. Who knew research could get you into so much trouble?

FTC Disclosure – The publisher sent me a digital ARC provided through NetGalley, in the hopes I would review it.
Profile Image for Amy.
492 reviews4 followers
December 2, 2019
This fourth book in the series is the best yet! When an aspiring musician's body from the 1960's is found on her best friend's family land, Amy goes into investigative mode. While fifty years have passed since his death, the people associated with the commune on which he lived are, no amount of time has kept his killer from justice. There are many suspects with multiple motives, all of which keep the plot moving at a good pace.
Amy and Richard--her professional dancer fiance, who is now her next door neighbor, continue with their own idea of wedding plans, much to the chagrin of his overbearing mother. Thankfully, their romance doesn't overpower the mystery story. The supporting characters complement them and the rest of the book.
Thanks to NetGalley and Crooked Lane for an ARC. My review is voluntary
Profile Image for Karen Hollins-Stallman .
584 reviews45 followers
April 25, 2020
“Bound for Murder” by Victoria Gilbert Is the 4th instalment in the "Blue Ridge Library Mystery" series. I really enjoyed it and hope to catch up on the series before the next one releases.

I found myself engrossed in the story and reading it almost straight through. It was entertaining, full of twists and turns as well as a few surprises, I did suspect the killer but then thought no...

The mystery is interesting and well plotted, and I loved the characters which are well developed. I loved the friendship between Amy and her bff Sunny. The inclusion of the two kittens was nice too.

I highly recommend this series to all my cozy loving friends.

I requested and received an Advance Reader Copy of this book from Crooked Lane and NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my OWN.
5,524 reviews51 followers
January 29, 2020
Library director Amy Webber is preoccupied by her engagement to her neighbor, dancer Richard Muir, and also the mayoral campaign of her best friend and assistant Sunny. But everything must go on hold when a skeleton is found on the property of Sunny's grandparents, who run an organic farm, but who once ran a commune. It's fairly clear that murder was afoot, especially when a local woman who lived on the commune is killed in a purported robbery. There are rather obvious clues to the killer, and a little too much lovey-dovey stuff between Amy and Richard to suit my tastes, but the real trouble with this book is the presence of a deux ex machina (broken, in this book) who steps in to solve Amy's problems. I hope #5 sees Gilbert back in her best form.
429 reviews2 followers
September 5, 2021
I really love this series! Cozy mysteries are my favorite genre, and this series is one of my top choices. I love the regular characters and the library setting, and I was delighted that a second cat has been added to the cast of characters in this book. Victoria Gilbert's stories never have a boring moment! I will continue to read the Blue Ridge Library Mysteries as long as she keeps writing them! A word to the wise: don't read these books out of order.
Profile Image for Hannah Ringler.
71 reviews7 followers
September 10, 2019
Library director Amy Webber is all too happy to do a little digging on a cold case for the cop ex-boyfriend of her mayoral candidate best friend - especially since the body was discovered on her best friend’s grandparent’s farm (and former hippie commune). However, it soon becomes clear that whoever the killer was, he or she is not done yet.

The German crime series Tatort is the longest-running show on German television. It started in 1970 and continues to be beloved and eagerly anticipated to this day. The key to its success is neither its writing (very solid), nor its acting (totally fine), but that it is redolent with local color. It follows around sixteen sets of investigators in the same number of locales throughout Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, and everyone tunes in to the episodes filmed in their home states and hometowns with a certain relish and local pride. And they watch the other episodes to get a good look at what’s local to the locals in the other locations.

That sense of place is a big part of what makes a really good cozy mystery as well. When I pick up a cozy, I want to feel like that one small town is different from all the other small towns, like there’s a reason for me to be here in this place besides murder.

And that sense of place that defines Tatort, that is a crucial ingredient in a fabulous cozy mystery, is almost wholly lacking in this novel. As another Blue Ridge girl, I really wish I had loved this book. But there was nothing that made Taylorsford stand out - nothing that made it its own place. Nothing that even really made it seem like it was set in the Blue Ridge. Taylorsford could be any small semi-rural (it is not noticeably rural in nature, apart from the fact that we are told it is) town in any English-speaking country. Even the fair seemed completely generic, and while most fairs these days have a certain sameness, there’s always something (also, why was it so big? If Taylorsford is so small, I’d expect it to have a small fair - this one was practically State Fair size. So many tents!). There was clogging, at least.

(I try to repress my memories of clogging as much as possible - apparently cloggers these days get to dance in jeans, rather than enormous petticoats and plaid pinafores with ruffled satin dance pants. SO unfair.)

It’s not that it was a bad read. The pacing was solid, and if the plot was fairly predictable (tip: make sure that your baddie doesn’t vanish midway through the book if you want to surprise your reader with the revelation of his guilt), it was entertaining enough. I had some nits to pick stylistically (why do we know the color of everyone’s eyes? why so many details that a) do not add to the story and b) do not make sense for our narrator to know?), but Gilbert calmed down after the first fifty pages or so, so while we know when the library was built (1919 - why? this adds nothing. I’m mad.), we don’t get every pointless detail about the history of the farm where the body was discovered. I suspect the details were added in to get that local color I was complaining about being missing, but they all seem extraneous, rather than building towards a unified vision.

The characterization was also fine. It’s not a great sign when you get to the end of the book, sit down to write a review, and can’t quite remember the main character’s first name, even though it was used frequently throughout the book, but none of the characters was actively irritating except the ones who were meant to be (however, again, overdrawn), and I quite liked some of the old ladies. It wasn’t especially complex and it never felt like any of the characters had an especially interesting motivation or history, but honestly, that’s pretty true to life.

I did like the details about being a librarian! One of the reasons I really enjoy cozy mysteries is that they often dig into other professions or hobbies that I know nothing about, so I can learn from them, and I did learn about the art of being a librarian from this novel.

So, if you want to spend an afternoon curled up on your sofa drinking tea and reading a book, this is a fine way to do that. It won’t stick with you and it won’t change your life, but it’s a pleasant enough experience and that’s not a bad thing for a book to be.

tl;dr - ultimately forgettable cozy mystery containing nothing offensive - or very interesting. Decent way to spend an evening reading after work. Content warnings for drug use.
Profile Image for Patty.
1,553 reviews1 follower
December 6, 2019
Bound for Murder by Victoria Gilbert is the 3rd book in the Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, and another enjoyable read. Amy Webber is the library director in Taylorsford, Virginia. Amy's best friend Sunny Fields is running for mayor. Unfortunately, a skeleton is found on her grandparents property, which use to be a hippie commune. Amy is determined to prove Sunny's family innocent. Once I started this book I could not stop reading it. It was a quick read that kept me guessing. I look forward to the next book in the series. I recommend this book for all cozy mystery book lovers, you will not be disappointed.
I reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books. Thank you.
Profile Image for Kristina.
3,356 reviews61 followers
February 11, 2020
Bound for Murder by Victoria Gilbert is the 4th A Blue Ridge Library Mystery. It can be read as a standalone for those new to the series. Amy Webber’s friend and fellow library employee, Sunny Fields is running for mayor which is a relief to many of the citizens who dislike the incumbent. Sunny receives a call from her grandparents, Carol & P.J. Fields that the county dredging crew found a skeleton buried by the creek on their organic farm. They ran a commune on the grounds back in the 60s and it looks like one member never left. Amy is not going to let this derail Sunny’s campaign for mayor. She starts digging in the archives and visiting members of the commune who still live in the area. Can Amy find the answers that are needed, or will she be the next individual to become plant fertilizer? Bound for Murder is well-written, and the story moves along at a stable pace. Amy Webber is a librarian with attention to detail and a whiz at research. Her skills at unearthing information in the archies are the most valuable to her investigations. Amy and Richard have been a engaged a couple of months which has people offering unsolicited advice and asking questions about the wedding that Amy is unprepared to answer. Amy is especially tired of her soon-to-be mother-in-law, Fiona’s high brow suggestions. She is happy to escape into the investigation. I liked that the mystery took us back to the 1960s. We get to see how the suspects have changed from their hippie days to now. I found the suspects to be a diverse group who each have something they would prefer to remain hidden. Unfortunately, someone is unhappy with Amy’s digging. She is warned off several times by various methods and one of her suspects is removed from the list permanently. It will depend on your sleuthing level on whether you find this whodunit a puzzler or a cinch to solve. I liked how all the details of the mystery were wrapped up and I enjoyed the ending. Bound for Murder is a charming cozy mystery with a dredging disaster, misplaced persons, a charismatic journalist, a hippie homicide, campaign commotion, and revealing research.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 262 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.