Start by marking “He Started It” as Want to Read:

He Started It

Beth, Portia, and Eddie Morgan haven't all been together in years. And for very good reasons—we'll get to those later. But when their wealthy grandfather dies and leaves a cryptic final message in his wake, the siblings and their respective partners must come together for a cross-country road trip to fulfill his final wish and—more importantly—secure their inheritance.

But
Expected publication: April 28th 2020 by Berkley

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 28, 2020
    From the twisted mind behind mega hit My Lovely Wife comes the story of a family—not unlike your own—just with a few more violent tendencies thrown ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 4161 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 01 - Jan 20, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about He Started It, please sign up.

Start your review of He Started It
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    NUMB. SPEECHLESS. STUPID. TRAINWRECK. That’s what I felt after reading this brain cell stealer, head spinner, face puncher, mind number, body hair remover story.

Let me say what I think about those DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS kind of NASSSSTYYY SIBLINGS. I hated them. I detested them because they’re human disposal, waste okay I’m taking back, I think they lost humanity for lonnnng time ago. I read their traumatic family story but I waited for learning that they’re adopted children and their
    Susanne  Strong
    4 Stars

Family: You can’t Pick ‘em, but Sometimes, you sure which you could!

Ah, the nostalgia of family road trips!

Unfortunately for Eddie, Beth and Portia, they don’t exactly have fond memories of the road trip they took with their dear old Grandpa when they were young. Nightmares are more like it! So why, pray tell would they be willing to relive the experience all over again? An inheritance of course! Dear sweet Grandpa bequeathed them each with lots of dough on one condition, they must take
    Kaceey
    Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Road trip!! WHEEEEEEE!

Remember those unbearable road trips you took when you were a kid? Stuffed into the backseat with your annoying siblings! So busy fighting you missed all the bizarre roadside attractions?
    Well, what if many years later you had to retrace those steps? That’s right boys and girls! It’s another road trip! Only now you’re all grown up! And guess what…if you make it to the end?
    There just might be a surprise waiting for you! Bonus!

Buckle up!

When grandpa died, the instructions in
    Jayme
    Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Grandfather's Will has been read, and the instructions are clear:

Eddie, Beth and Portia must go on THE road trip, that he had taken them on when they were just kids, and scatter his ashes at the end.

Once he is in his final resting place, his assets would be divided equally between the three. His liquid assets alone come in at $3,453,000 with a house, car and furnishings yet to be sold.

Of course, there are a few final conditions: Anyone who ends up in jail, who does not complete the trip, or
    Dita
    Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Recommended to Dita by: Samantha Downing
    There is no sophomore slump here. None! At all!!

I read 300 books last year and My Lovely Wife was my favorite. I loved this EVERY SINGLE BIT as much!

I loved being in Beth's head as she was forced to take this road trip from hell with her dysfunctional siblings, nerdy husband and new sister-in-law. She is wily, wry, hilarious, snarky, sad and a teensy bit crazy.

The ending blew me away. Brava!! I just cannot...

Reading this book made me feel like I got to hang out in Samantha Downing's head for a
    Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
    So you say there is a new Samantha Downing book? I say...give it to me now! I couldn't wait for her latest book. My Lovely Wife was one of the best books I have read in 2019! If you have not read it yet, GO NOW...do it, just read it!

Ready for the road trip from hell? You think your family is dysfunctional and the road trips leave a bit to be desired? HAHAHA you haven't seen anything yet. This is no Chevy Chase Family Vacation...this is the grandpa road show. Grandpa made them do it for the
    marilyn
    Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: buddy-read, edelweiss
    From the outside, looking in, the Morgan family looks so normal. The 1999 version of the family has a mom, dad, kids, and a grieving grandfather, who has just lost his wife. But the mom and dad fight often, so Granddad decides to take the kids on a road trip. It's a bit confusing for the kids when their nightly calls to mom and dad indicate that they don't seem to be onboard with this road trip and granddad closely censors each child's conversation with their parents.

Not only that, Granddad is
    Mary Kubica
    Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Samantha Downing shows how to pack a punch in her latest phenomenal thriller, HE STARTED IT. A twisty, sneaking tale of greed, lies and betrayal, with each character more conniving than the next and an ending that will make your heart stop. This one needs to be on the top of everyone's to-read list! ...more
    Kelly (and the Book Boar)
    Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

From the placeholder “review” below, obviously this was a highly anticipated release for me. Now that I’ve finished?????

But some of you are gonna haaaaaaaate it due to the ending so let’s just hope that I can come to terms with my feelings before release date so we can still be friends.

I was lucky enough to score an early copy of My Lovely Wife when no one was even talking about it yet and it completely blew my socks off. I knew
    Wendy Walker
    Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Fun, fun, fun! If you're already a fan from her sensational debut, My Lovely Wife, then you know what I mean when I say this writer has a special voice. Clean, sharp, witty narration will put a mischievous smile on your face every time you turn a page. And of course, there are plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing.
    Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
    6/13/19:
    "Siblings can bring out the best in you. Or the worst..."

What an aggravating tease. Ugh I want this book in my hands so badly. This sounds like cool; the book better live up to the hype.

5/8/19:
    We have to wait until June 2020 to get another Samantha Downing book? Ugh. I'll wait, I'll wait. But after the masterpiece that was My Lovely Wife, I'm excited. Come sooner, 2020...
    Christina McDonald
    A wicked-fun read with razor-sharp wit and a killer twist, He Started It is compelling, captivating, and deliciously dark. Samantha Downing writes with a wry, sparse elegance that steadily entangles you until you’re utterly addicted.

In He Started It, we get three unapologetically sinister siblings heading out on a road trip to fulfil their wealthy grandfather’s final wish and secure their inheritance. But none of them are exactly who they seem.

Like My Lovely Wife, He Started It blurs the line
    Katie (katieladyreads)
    WOAH! Talk about a cliffhanger! This was such a fun, unique and amazing whirlwind of a book. I loved every minute. Just when I thought I had it figured out, I was wrong. Original and refreshing, Downing is the new name in psycho-thriller. I would recommend this to any and all thriller fans out there.
    hillary
    I literally CAN’T wait for this book to be in my hands. The synopsis is full of elements I love and the plot sounds so intricate I’m already mindblown
    June 2020, where are you?
    Hannah Mary McKinnon
    Sibling rivalry reaches new and downright despicable heights in HE STARTED IT, a novel where nothing is as it seems, and no one can be trusted. Creepy, unnerving and deliciously evil, Samantha Downing is one of the boldest authors I know. This will no doubt be a must read book of 2020!
    Marialyce
    Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Ah who can do without family? They are the backbone of what we are, how we think, where we travel in life, how we hang together or don't. As the saying goes....you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family" right?

When their wealthy grandfather leaves a will that stipulates the grandchildren, all adults now, follow a road trip they took with Grandad years ago, to acquire their inheritance, they are on the way to some very bizarre remembrances and some even more bizarre happenings.
    Shay
    Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I don't even know where to start with this. Samantha Downing did it again with all the twists and turns. You don't know who to trust. The whole family seemed to be crazy and you really couldn't tell who was actually in their right mind. I was so shocked at the ending. I never even saw that one coming!! Of all the people. I was impressed with how the book ended. It is just like her previous book. You are left still reeling from the shocking turn of events and then you have all these unanswered ...more
    Marti
    Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Samantha Downing will be your new obsession. This book is a fast twisted winding road. I was literally talking back to the book. "Oh no" "how" "wth" my husband thought I was crazy.
    Doris Raines
    Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    HE STARTED IT WELL YOU FINISH IT I LIKE THIS BOOK.
    Sally
    Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book was a trip in every sense of the word and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Rachel
    Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Earlier this year I read a book called My Lovely Wife. Samantha Downing certainly blew my mind with that debut and I knew this one would be just as twisted. This was honestly the perfect book to keep me company on our 6 hour road trip over the holidays.

Beth, Portia, and Eddie Morgan just lost their grandfather. He has left behind quite a large sum of money to be divided between the three of them. His only stipulation is that they all come together to recreate a cross-country road trip that they
    Christine Moore
    Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: edelweiss
    Holy freaking amazeballs what did I freaking read!!!! This book has everything! Dysfunctional family, secrets and lots of them, unreliable narrator, and so many lies!!! Beth, Eddie, and Portia must recreate a road trip they took with their grandfather when they were younger. It is a condition of his will. The siblings haven't seen each other much since they are grown, and boy oh boy is this quite the road trip! I freaking LOVED this book!!! It kept me guessing and at the edge of my seat the ...more
    Samantha Bailey
    Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Samantha Downing is an absolute genius at creating twisted characters you’re desperate to follow. HE STARTED IT is superbly structured, deliciously dark, and kept me guessing, heart pounding, through every single razor-sharp sentence. A psychological thriller like none other, this addictive read is impossible to put down. I received an advanced reader copy.
    Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
    I absolutely loved Samantha Downing's debut, My Lovely Wife, and was dying to read her newest book, He Started It!

The book takes place throughout a two week road trip across the US that siblings Eddie, Beth, and Portia have to complete before they can collect their dead grandfather's inheritance. This road trip is the same one they took as children with their grandfather, and you can tell there's some tension between the siblings early on, and I wanted to know why! Everyone has secrets.

When
    Karen Colglazier
    Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    To me reading an authors second book can be scary if I loved their first book. Will it live up to the hype of the first? Will I be disappointed? Are they essentially a one hit wonder? I adored My Lovely Wife. Ever since I first laid eyes on the cover it became a must read. It was definitely one of my top 10 in 2019. When I found out about Downing’s new book I could not wait to get my hands on it. I can happily say this book didn’t disappoint, in fact I might I have loved it more then My Lovely ...more
    Ari
    Dec 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Comes out on my birthday. What better reason for me to want to read it than that? Oh, it sounds pretty great too!
    Jane
    Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Thanks to Goodreads and Berkley for this ARC.

This was a bizarre book from beginning to end to say the least. The plot was riveting and the writing was fantastic.

Quite a family trip revisited 20 years later but with the siblings grown up, but the grandfather is gone. They have instructions to bury his ashes to get his inheritance and have to recreate the road trip across the county going the same places they did with their grandfather. All kinds of things happen, both the first time and this
    Emilie
    Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I received an ARC of this book.
    All I can say after finishing this book is...wow.
    I did really enjoy it and did not want to put it down. The characters were a bit unlikable, but in a way that had you kind of cheering for them and waiting to see what unsavory thing they would do or say next. It was a road trip that I would hate to be on, and yet one that I did not want to end. It was engrossing and mesmerizing to watch all the secrets and lies unfold.
    I am still processing the ending of the
    Johnna Whetstone
    Another love! Although the ending really wasn’t my very favorite, I still thought it was good. Really surprising just how many are bad guys, but you’ll have to read it to found who and why! So many twists, you’ll feel like you’re on a roller coaster, but a scary, thrilling one that makes you gasp in shock and blows your mind! Pre order today!!!!
    I’ll make sure I buzz the book on different platforms!
    Ann
    I absolutely NEED to read this!!

• Little Secrets
    • Mr. Nobody
    • The Wife Stalker
    • The Return
    • Dead to Her
    • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
    • Reputation
    Samantha Downing currently lives in New Orleans, where she is furiously typing away on her next book.