Start by marking “Perfectly Adequate” as Want to Read:
Perfectly Adequate

Perfectly Adequate

Dr. Elijah Hawkins needs … something.

After his wife jumps headfirst into a midlife crisis, he’s left with his young son, Roman, and a lot of unanswered questions.

That something turns out to be a someone—Dorothy Mayhem, nursing student, patient transporter, reckless driver, and emu owner.

Dorothy studies humans, the neurotypical kind, through books and television. Then sh
Published September 27th 2019 by Jewel E. Ann LLC (first published September 25th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Perfectly Adequate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfectly Adequate

Start your review of Perfectly Adequate
Jewel Ann
Sep 10, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: written

AMAZON UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YJ7LFTR/
AMAZON AU: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07YJ7LFTR/
AMAZON CA: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07YJ7LFTR/
mel ☽
ahhh i feel so bad for being in the minority here, but i just didn't like this one.

don't get me wrong, this was really cute and sweet in the beginning but after Eli's (H) accident, it all went downhill from there.

i really don't mind OW/ex drama but only if the H makes me believe that he's in love with ONLY the h and he proves to us readers that she is not second best.

sadly, that's not the case here.

i've been loving single-parent romance lately and that's because kids in books are so freaking cu
❥ KAT ❥ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books
24993460-SX540
perfectly-adequate

PERFECTLY ADEQUATE: Is a full length, contemporary romance novel by Jewel E. Ann. Spoken in 'Dual Perspectives.'

God where to even start with this review!! This story was so unexpected, unique in every way, sweet, adorable, with such heartwarming and funny moments thrown our way all made for such a fun carefree read..

Dr. Elijah Hawkins has been divorced for a year mourning the life he once had and till this day he's still left in the dark as to why it all ended, one minute life was great
EmBibliophile
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars

"I don’t mind being me. No one else can do it better.”

Such a cute fun adorable book, also refreshing after my last dark read. This book has the ingredients for a sweet romance, a quirky heroine, a nice swoon worthy hero, a cute little kid, and a great supporting family.

Dr. Elijah Hawkins has been divorced for a year after his wife left him without giving him a specific reason. He thought she was his forever, but now he knows he needs to move on. Then he meets Dorothy mayhem, the quirk
Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog
*****FIVE+++++++++++ STARS*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Author}

Everything about her paralyzes me. Only my eyes can move, and they can’t decide where to land. She is fucking beautiful.

Dorothy doesn’t attract me with her attempts to mimic neurotypical people. She captures little pieces of my heart with her whispered honesty. I feel it, just in a different way.

OUTSTANDING!! That’s my one word to describe Jewel E. Ann’s latest book, ”Perfectly Adequate”. Never for one second did I doubt that I wo
Corina
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it

Perfectly Adequate had everything that makes a great romance. A quirky heroine, a sweet hero, and a cute kid.

Dorothy was a uniquely different heroine. And I come out and admit, that quirky characters are my weakness. But it seems to be a trend at the moment, more and more authors explore characters with mental illness. In this case Dorothy is on the spectrum, and definitely displayed many characteristics that come with such a diagnose.

She was quirky, extremely blunt and straightforward,
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

“I’ll take good genes as a compliment.” “Why? You didn’t have anything to do with it.”

I like his brand of sarcasm, which says a lot since, in general, I don’t like sarcasm. It’s like the smallest letters on the eye chart. I have to focus pretty hard to read them, and even then, there is a little guessing involved. They use those really tiny letters just to make sure no human feels perfect.

He ordered a large! Nothing chaps me more than people who want to split small and medium piz
Wendy

I had a blast reading this book. It absolutely wasn't what I expected, which was half the fun. That said...there were also a few cringe-worthy scenes, which is why I can't go with the full 5 stars. I definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for a sweet and fun read, with some emotional moments woven in...

fun times gif - Google zoeken

Dr. Elijah Hawkins is in a bit of a rut so to say. He is still smarting from the fact that his high school sweetheart, wife and mother of his young son has left him a year ago, to start
Carol
4 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐
09/30/2019
Started this today with my friend Anna as a buddy read and it is going swimmingly!!!! (my first ever)
10/02/2109
I was so excited for this release.....and I will admit to having had really high expectations for this book.....which essentially appeared to be a romantic comedy from one of my most favorite authors.

So now for a little reality check:
I read this in one day...... at the 50% mark I was positively beaming, it was so much fun. It was such a wonderful story with refresh
Aisling Zena
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 okay stars

A romantic comedy from this author is like all my wishes coming true!

description
Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog)
With Perfectly Adequate, Jewel E. Ann takes a timeout from her signature heartbreaking and mind-blowing stories to deliver a lighter romance. Notice that I said lighter because Jewel doesn’t do straight-up rom coms. This is a comedy with a bittersweet edge – a dramedy, if you will.

I am a sucker for two character types: oddball heroines and single parents. This story has both. I fell hard for Dr. Elijah Hawkins and the aptly named Dorothy Mayhem. Their opposites attract love affair is awkward and
Mali Mor ❤️ The Romantic Blogger
ezgif-com-video-to-gif
Doctor Elijah Hawkins is a pediatric oncologist and has been divorced for a year, but still aching for the life he lost - especially because he has no idea why his marriage suddenly ended after 15 happy years. 💔

Dorothy Mayhem is a nursing student and works at Elijah's Hospital as a patient transporter. Although the hospital is a pretty gray place, she likes to wear eye-catching shoes - which is exactly what happened, because Elijah couldn't ignore them… and her either! 😍👠

📚 "𝑰𝒕’𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒎𝒆 𝒍𝒂𝒖𝒈𝒉
Malene
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dorothy Mayhem! What a character and what a woman. She’s been diagnosed with ASD and it affects her socially, how she views her surroundings and interact with people. She has no filter whatsoever and that definitely made me giggle numerous times because of her honest outbursts whether it was during sex or because she couldn’t tell a lie. There’s no doubt that Dorothy is a good and sweet human being. She sees the best in people and values the small things in life.

Elijah is swept off his feet whe
The Book Bee
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
REVIEW: 4+ STARS
"Your happiness is a reflection of you and only you."

Purity. This is the kind of book you have to go into with an open mind and an understanding of the love that's playing out. It won't be simple-minded or single-layered, and it won't be normal - and I'm not saying that in any way, shape, or form being disrespectful. This was hilarious, but pure. The heroine was definitely not the normal subject of a romance book and Jewel handled that with reality, and she never disappoi
Saly
When I read the beginning of this book I should have been warned, because at the start the hero is reminiscing about his perfect ex-wife and the brilliant love they had shared, their sex life etc. They had been together since they were 16 when bam the wife wanted out. Alas I didn't heed the warning and carried on. Please be warned there will be a lot of spoilers in this so move away if you don't want to be spoiled.

(view spoiler)
 Sonya ♕Chatterbooks book blog♕
20190924_161604.png

I have been a fan of Jewel E Ann for a long time and she has always managed to not only surprise me with her storytelling, but make me fall head over heels in love with the characters. She never stays inside of the normal box and with every word, she gives us something different. With every plot twist, every laugh out loud moment, every dramatic confrontation, this author has managed to bring her stories to life with her own signature style and that is what keeps us coming back for more.

Dr. Elij
Pam Godwin
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfectly perfect! This book is extraordinarily unique, unpredictable, and unexpected. I absolutely adore the heroine and all her selfless, perfect flaws. Every book JEA writes is different and unforgettable in its own right. This is no exception. The humor is wildly fun. The romance is compelling and damn hot. And the plot is unlike anything you've ever read. I highly recommend! ...more
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog
<3 4 STARS <3

This was an adorable,funny and sweet read.There were a lot of moments I have a smile in my face!It was fast paced and I enjoy it!

“Mayhem synonyms: chaos, havoc, madness, trouble, disorder, pandemonium.
Yep. All of those fit Dorothy.”

Dorothy is the best, I loved her so much!She was funny and awkward! Dorothy and Elijah give you all the feels!I loved every moment these two spent together!

If you are looking for a fun and heartwarming read this is perfect!

NMmomof4
4 Stars

**Please let me know if I got anything wrong in this review...and take it with a grain of salt! I thought I wrote this, but found out that I hadn't after I finished another (long) book and I might've missed some specifics because of the delay!**

Overall Opinion: It's no secret that I have a son on the autism spectrum and I absolutely love stories with characters like him in the starring roles! Jewel E Ann does it amazingly! The autism spectrum is so far and wide, but I think she's don
Wendy ⏃: ✦Cheeky Chicks Reviewer✦
5 "Okay" STARS!

Pics-Art-09-29-04-14-10
“The spectrum is human."

A book that made my heart soar, Perfectly Adequate by Jewel E. Ann is a standalone contemporary romance filled with lots of love and moments deeply rooted in emotion.

Elijah Hawkins is a single father, a sexy doctor, and... divorced. He's struggling with how his marriage ended after being with his ex-wife Julia for 22 years. The night he meets Dorothy Mayhem, a transporter at the hospital his life is forever changed.

Dorothy Mayhem is a rathe
Nova B
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first Jewel E. Ann book and I loved it. I thought Perfectly Adequate was so charming, so heart warming, so full of feels and laughs and swoon! A really sweet read!
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
4,5 stars

“Thank you,” she whispers. “For what?” “For letting me be me. Letting me be enough.”

I buddy read that one with Angela from Reading Frenzy Book Blog and I had a blast exchanging comments with her about this!

It’s been my fifth book by Jewel E Ann because I am late to the bandwagon but I realized that Jewel is a versatile author. She can make you read about a dark and moving book like Jersey Six (one of my favorites for 2019) or about a romcom like Perfectly Adequate!

So let’
Jo - •.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•
First thing you need to know about this book is that your face will get a work out, I laughed out loud SO much and kept reading bits out loud to my husband as I inhaled this story on a lazy Sunday. Yup, all day I sat and did nothing but read this fabulous story.

Twelve months ago Elijah Hawkins was happily married to his high school sweetheart and living in bliss with their gorgeous wee son, Roman. He is an oncologist and his wife also works at the same hospital as a renowned plastic surgeon. The
MELISSA *Mel Reader*
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
4.5 Stars!
(ARC provided by Social Butterfly PR)

-Your happiness is a reflection of you and only you.

-"I don't mind being me. No one else can do it better."

photo 2A5B09CC-E1CE-42A7-BB19-0542128C059F_zps5yojoqlb.jpg

Dr. Elijah Hawkins is an accomplished pediatric oncologist in Portland who is now a divorced single dad after his wife of fifteen years leaves him. He thought she was his forever, and now he has to start from scratch with this dating thing. After a year alone, he knows he needs to move on, but he's out of practice. Then he meets a beautiful
Berry ♡ Nice
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rom-com
I just finished this story and I have to ask - Does Jewel E Ann EVER not write a PERFECT hero? 💙 NOPE. No she doesn't!
I fucken LOVE Eli aka Dr. Hawkins 😭💙

OKAY. *wink* (once you read this you'll get this)

So now that it's established that JEA writes perfect men.... This story! Guys!!!! This story. Wow.

This was a Very cute. Very happy. Heart-touching. Open minded story.
I enjoyed this Very much. I love a romance story that gives me food for thought or that gives me something new. Something I didn
Anna
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦
Just loved this one!
Funda Demir
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: laughoutloud
This was so cute and funny.

Dorothy is the sweetest character who is trying to conform and be 'normal' in her life as she is suffering from AS. She falls for the newly divorced hottie doctor Elijah at the hospital she works at. Elijah was amazing; he was so caring and lovable.

This was an absolute 5 star read for me up until the last few chapters. Heres why-

(view spoiler)
Natasha is a Book Junkie
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: standalone
What a wonderful surprise this book has been! I don't know why I thought this was just a feel-good Romantic Comedy (I blame the cover!), but every single thing about this story was unexpected. It's the story of pediatric oncologist Dr. Elijah Hawkins who, after almost two decades of marriage, finds himself single again and forced to only be a part-time parent to his young son. Dating or finding love again are the last thing on his mind, until Dorothy Mayhem, nursing student and patient transport ...more

• The Guy on the Left (The Underdogs, #2)
  • Outmatched
  • You Can Have Manhattan
  • Where the Blame Lies (Where, #1)
  • Perfect Strangers
  • The Guy on the Right (The Underdogs, #1)
  • Park Avenue Player
  • The Guy in the Middle (The Underdogs, #3)
  • Kiss Me Tonight (Kiss Me, #2)
  • Reveal (Wicked Ways, #2)
  • (Not) The One
  • Breaker
  • Landon & Shay: Part One (L&S Duet, #1)
  • Entice
  • All The Forbidden Things
  • Best of Me
  • War of Hearts (True Immortality, #1)
  • That Forever Girl (Getting Lucky, #2)
Jewel is a Wall Street Journal & USA Today best selling author a with a quirky sense of humor. When she's not saving the planet one tree at a time, you can find her role modeling questionable behavior to her three boys, binge-watching Netflix with her husband, and writing mind-bending romance.

Her upcoming release is Fortuity, a romantic-comedy.

Upcoming Projects: Out of Love (J&J Book 4) and a 20