Start by marking “Grown Ups” as Want to Read:
Grown Ups

Grown Ups

They're a glamorous family, the Caseys.

Johnny Casey, his two brothers Ed and Liam, their beautiful, talented wives and all their kids spend a lot of time together - birthday parties, anniversary celebrations, weekends away. And they're a happy family. Johnny's wife, Jessie - who has the most money - insists on it.

Under the surface, though, conditions are murkier. While
Published February 6th 2020 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Grown Ups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grown Ups

Start your review of Grown Ups
Paromjit
Sometimes serendipity strikes and you find yourself reading the right book at the right time, this was a case in point, after some dark reads this lighthearted and amusing Irish family drama was the perfect antidote that I needed. Marian Keyes immersed me into the life and times of the Casey Family, three brothers, their assorted marriages, children and families. The good looking Johnny is the second husband of the powerhouse of energy that is Jessie, with two children from her previous ...more
Pauline
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I am a big fan of Marian Keyes books and was delighted to receive a copy of her new book Grown Ups.
This is a story of three brothers and their families. There are a lot of characters to remember and it took me a while to sort out where they fit within the family. Unfortunately I did not engage with any of the characters and sadly missed the humour that I usually find in Marian's books.
Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin UK - Michael Joseph for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Gloria Arthur
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-bookshelf
Grown-Ups was my first Marian Keyes novel and a massive 642 pages long! I found the relationship dynamics entertaining in this family drama and the story held my attention as I raced through to find out more.

The Casey’s spend a lot of time together, whether they like it or not. The Casey’s include three brothers, Johnny, Ed and Liam, their three wives and children.

Johnny’s wife, savvy businesswoman Jessie has heaps of money and she loves to splurge and have all the families get together on
Mandy White
First of all let me start by saying that I am a massive fan of Marian Keyes - so it pains me to say that I did n0t love Grown Ups. It started off well and I loved the opening chapters at the dinner party, but after that I struggled to engage with the characters and the story. I did like it but not as much as I usually do with her books.

This is a very long book at 656 pages. I am not adverse to long books, my favourite Stephen King book is over 800 pages. But when the story is a bit slower than
Suzanne
Very solid four stars. Makes me want to read more things Irish! Review to follow.
Marianne
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grown Ups is the ninth stand-alone novel by award-winning Irish author, Marian Keyes. If their extended family looks friendly and agreeable on the surface, like most families, the individual members of the Casey family have more going on than they’re willing to reveal: either outside the family, or within. Behind their harmonious façade, individual tensions, resentments, attractions, and anxieties may be festering, but they present a united, happy front.

The Casey brothers, Johnny, Ed and Liam,
Anni
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The typical Irish extended clan provides ideal scope for an entertaining family saga and as a rule I can't get enough of this genre. But my reading experience here felt like being at a large social gathering where I don't know anybody and immediately forget all the names and relationships soon after we are introduced.
The novel has an intriguing premise and prologue but then we are plunged into confusing and meanderingly slow flashbacks detailing the family dynamics of three brothers, their
Bookphenomena (Micky)

GROWN UPS as you might guess, really showed what a mess grown ups can be. This was a family saga of epic proportions both in length of book but also in depth of shambled relationships and lives. This was definitely a less funny offering from Marian Keyes, but I wouldn’t have minded the lack of humour if the story had worked better for me.

The story centred on three families, brothers, wives and children. The brothers weren’t particularly close but the other people around them included
Veronica ⭐️
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I just love family dramas but big books scare me and weighing in at 656 pages Grown Ups is a big book. I’m happy to say though that I flew through this book. It was endlessly entertaining and no time did it become bogged down.

The Casey clan deliver an endless amount of drama and quite a few laughs. Johnny Casey is married to Jessie and they have five children. Saorise and Ferdia are from Jessie’s first marriage. Ferdia tall, dark and handsome despises his step-father and makes sure everyone
Jessica Gilmore
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had slightly mixed feelings when NetGalley approved me for Marian Keyes new novel Grown Ups which isn’t out until February next year. I’m a big fan of Keyes’ work, her deceptively light style, combining a laugh out loud humour with searing insight and moments of real emotional punch, and her talent for unreliable narration and slow reveal which can turn a book, and your feelings about it, on their head within just one sentence. Her last novel The Break was a perfect example of this, up there ...more
Madeleine Black
Despite being a Marian Keyes fan, I struggled to get into this book. I felt there were too many characters to connect with which made the plot hard for me to follow
Alison
DNF at 24%.

The story is about the three Casey brothers, their wives and assorted children. The families spend a lot of time together (Easter etc) but there are tensions simmering under the surface, second marriages, truculent teenagers, step-siblings, fears of inadequacy, etc.

Johnnie and Jessie Casey own their own business but seem to be running into monetary difficulties which Jessie is resolutely ignoring while she pays for the entire family to spend the holidays together at a swanky hotel.

Ceecee
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of the Casey brothers, Johnny, Ed and Liam and their wives and families. Their parents as we learn later in the book, are cold and verbally cruel so it’s the biggest wonder they are able to function at all. It shines a spotlight on family secrets and grudges that are hidden for the sake of family and appearances. The secrets come spilling out at a family dinner party at the beginning of the book then it backtracks to where it all blurted out. There are some serious moments and ...more
Joanne
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grown-Ups is Marian Keyes at her best with all that I love about her books. There's a large cast of relatable characters, all part of the Casey family or connected with them. As always there is a lot which will make you laugh in the book at the madcap antics and straight talking of the characters but there are also a lot more serious issues such as eating disorders, addiction, grief and self-esteem. It may be a long book at over 600 pages but you won't notice as you will be too caught up in the ...more
Aimee Walker Editorial
No one does family dynamics as well as Marian Keyes – and this was a proper epic family saga. I was fully immersed in the Casey family, by the end of the book I felt like they were my own. It was long but that just added to it for me. I read it over the Christmas holidays and it was the perfect book to curl up on the sofa for hours with my own family. It deals with some pretty serious issues: mental health, addiction and grief (among others) but it was in no way a downer, if anything I felt ...more
Polly
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Content warning: eating disorders

I want more! And given that this is a long old book, that’s really high praise.

I fell in love with these characters. And the characters are 100% what drives this story. Marian Keyes has always been a master of creating believable, relatable people, and has perfected the art of writing relationships – whether those are familial, romantic, or platonic.

Much of this book happens through glimpses into the Casey family’s life via extended vignettes. We catch up with
Denise
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
I have read and loved most of Marian Keyes' earlier books and was not disappointed with this one. Loved this story, I felt as though I really got to know the characters.
Marian's characters are all so authentic and individual and I can ‘see’ them all, she manages to draw the reader into their lives. The character creation was definitely one of the best features of the book. Marian brilliantly crafted each member of the family, with all their quirks and differences.
Grown Ups is not fast moving or
Annette
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read a couple of Marian Keyes’s previous books- I particularly enjoyed The Break- so I was excited to receive this new one via NetGalley.
I started reading and although I was expecting to really enjoy it I just could not get into it. There were many characters and even after I’d managed to work out who they all were and the story of the weekend away in a posh hotel had started, I just did not warm to any of them. I got about a quarter of the way through and I realised I was not going to
Sheri
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marian Keyes is on top form with her latest, a gorgeously sprawling character-driven feast of a book following the fortunes of the Casey family - brothers Johnny, Ed and Liam , their respective wives Jessie, Cara and Nell, plus assorted children. Businesswoman Jessie is the one who holds it together, gathering the family at regular intervals for various iterations of A Bit of a Do. Safe to say all the characters have their ups and downs, relationships change, develop and disintegrate, there are ...more
Traceysyearinbooks

I was thrilled to receive an ARC of this book from netgalley. Marion Keyes has been a favourite author of mine for a long time. This book certainly didn’t disappoint.
The story starts in the present day, then moves to the past and then back to the present and onwards from there. There are many main characters in this book with their own stories but the authors writing style is so good that this never becomes confusing.
This book deals with some sensitive issues- betrayals, divorce, bulimia,
Helen Leecy
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really daunted by the length of this but decided to challenge myself by requesting this whopper on NetGalley. It is 656 pages long. So I decided to tackle it logically and read 20% each day for five days. This set me at a steady pace, and I got through it quite easily and quickly.
I did wonder, to begin with, though, whether I would persevere with it at all. There are a lot of characters to get to know, and a lot of them have very Irish names that are a bit of a tongue and mind twister. I
Ritu Bhathal
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Books about family are always a favourite of mine, and this new read from Marian Keyes was fully family fuelled!
A story about the fortunes of three men, the Casey brothers, Johnny, Ed and Liam, and their respective wives, Jessie, Cara and Nell.
I
A surprise knock to the head causes Cara to blurt out a whole host of truths at the dinner table one night, in front of the whole family. Truths that have huge consequences.

t starts in the present, then delves backwards, accessing the views of a whole
adventuresinabookshop Jo DM
I have loved Marian’s writing since I read my first of her books, Sushi for Beginners almost 20 years ago. I have never discovered another writer who can deal so sensitively with difficult subject matter and make me laugh out loud and cry as I identify so strongly with her characters. Her books might at first glance seem lighthearted, but once you get into them you discover that at their heart is a serious issue, such as addiction, grief or mental health.

Grown Ups is written in the same vein.
Katy Crowe
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I was really grateful to get a review copy of this because I’m a big Marian Keyes fan so was really excited to read this and I wasn’t disappointed. I was completely hooked on by the Casey family and their many partners and children. It’s a long book but I gobbled it up over a couple of days. Luckily I started it over Christmas so had time to read it in long sittings. It’s a cliche but I couldn’t put it down and finished it in one massive reading session that lasted long into the night.

I enjoyed
Gill
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As are most Marian Keyes books, this is a long read at over 600 pages. Covering a relatively short period of time in the lives of the extended Casey family there's certainly plenty going on between the pages to keep the reader entertained.

The story starts out with the family gathered together to celebrate Johnny's birthday where Cara, his sister-in-law suddenly starts speaking her mind, no holes barred after a previous fall causes her concussion. From there the book goes back over time giving
Kelly
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read. I never thought I would live another family as much as the Walsh family but the Caseys are right up there. Fabulous multi stranded tale set around the three Casey brothers, their amazing wives and offspring. So many twists and turns. I loved it. I was gripped from the start and pulled right into the story. I was sad to say goodbye and really hope they make another return to one of Marians books. Highly recommended. So enjoyable!

Maddy Cordell
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet story about the 3 Casey brothers, their wives, children and parents. What happens when one of the family falls and bumps their heads and gets concussion, and the result is like giving them a truth serum. Way too much comes out at a family dinner party. The story starts with the dinner party, goes back in time to see how they got there, and then moves forward in time to see how it ends. A lovely story but not my favourite of hers. I didn't feel like I couldn't put it down.
Mairi
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another accomplished novel by Marian Keyes. A long and complicated storyline that delves into the difficulties of an extended family and their relationships. The characters are well written and easy to engage with and the story is told with good humour. An enjoyable read.
Clare Moore
Thanks to netgalley for the chance to read this book.

Marian Keyes is one of my favourite authors however this book took some getting into. Once I got to grips with the flitting of the story from one couple to another I enjoyed reading it and wanted to find out what happened to each of the couples.
Clare Moore
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Thanks to netgalley for the chance to read this book.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• An Almost Perfect Holiday
  • The Fallout
  • The Foundling
  • The Holdout
Marian Keyes (born 10 September 1963) is an Irish novelist and non-fiction writer, best known for her work in women's literature. She is an Irish Book Awards winner. Over 22 million copies of her novels have been sold worldwide and her books have been translated into 32 languages. She became known worldwide for Watermelon, Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, and This Charming Man, with themes ...more