Start by marking “The Family” as Want to Read:
The Family

The Family

The new psychological thriller from master storyteller, Louise Jensen, will leave you breathless.

Laura is grieving after the sudden death of her husband. Struggling to cope emotionally and financially, Laura is grateful when a local community, Oak Leaf Organics, offer her and her 17-year-old daughter Tilly a home.

But as Laura and Tilly settle into life with their new ‘fami
Published September 25th 2019 by HQ

To ask other readers questions about The Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Family

Amanda
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read and loved several of Louise Jensen’s books I knew that I was in for a thrilling ride with lots of twists. Fasten you’re seatbelt and enjoy!

Laura’s husband has died after falling from scaffolding on his construction site. She and her daughter are struggling over his loss and are going to lose their home and flower shop as the insurance company are delaying paying up.

When Saffron comes to the shop she offers her help, she lives on a farm running the Saffron Farm Oak Leaf Organics. Sh
Pauline
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I always enjoy Louise Jenson's books and was delighted to receive a copy of her new book The Family, a psychological thriller full of twists and turns.
Laura's husband had a fatal accident when he fell from the roof of a building. Laura is behind in her rent and has no money. The insurance company will not pay out until they have the verdict from the inquest into her husbands death.
A customer in her flower shop offers Laura and her teenage daughter Tilly, accommodation at a local farm that runs a
Alan Cotterell
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2019, arc
First of all thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Now I have heard great things about this authors previous books, and having read the synopsis, I had high expectations.
However I really struggled to connect with the characters and ended up skim reading most of it. It picked up a little towards the end. But then it seemed a bit of an information dump. In last few pages.
Not for me unfortunately.
6 likes
Louise Wilson
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mark
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was ok

I have loved all 4 of the authors previous books ( and look forward to her 6th )
So, Laura is trying and failing to cope with the death of her hubby, her daughter Tilly is also trying to do the same and equally failing and losing hope
Money is running out and Laura loses her florist business
Along comes Alex, dashing, film star beautiful and full of hope and confidence Alex and with him his commune that includes a thriving organic veg growing company with a ‘family love’ kind of vibe everywhere,
Alan Cotterell
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Not for me unfortunately.
Michelle
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Laura’s husband dies suddenly after falling off scaffolding at his construction site. Laura and daughter Tilly are distraught and have no money due to the insurance not been paid out until after the inquest. Not only are they going to lose their home but, Laura will lose her flower shop business because she can’t pay the bills and her husband was being sued to the new houses been on a toxic waste site.
One day Saffron comes into the shop and offers her help. Saffron lives on a farm in a commune a
Melanie’s reads
If you have ever wondered how people get sucked in to cults or other things they would never normally do then this is why . Complete and utter desperation, lack of money, bills, losing a roof over your head and no support.

They can almost feel like saviours until true colours start to show (which they always do).Louise has very believably captured this and this is a very character driven book. She totally understands mother and teenage child dynamics and how a parent has to hold it all together e
janine
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
* MAKE YOURSELF A CUPPA, SIT AND GET COMFY BECAYSE ONCE YOU START READJNG YOU WONT STOP UNTIL THE END *

An outstanding novel showcasing vulnerability, grief, deception, tragedy, psychology and that whole underlying question:
'Are we born good or bad?'

Louise Jenson has touched brilliantly on the subject of death/suicide/murder in this book, so well that you dont find any answers until the very end.

What I thought at first was a predictable story completely blew me away.. I was totally wrong with eve
Sheri
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Family started well. Laura and her seventeen year old daughter Tilly are reeling from the sudden death of husband and father Gavan. Struggling financially due to the insurance company’s reluctance to pay out, Laura is easily persuaded to accept first legal advice, and then a place to live, from the charismatic Alex, who leads what looks suspiciously like a cult in the guise of an organic food co-operative. Life on the Oak Leaf Organics farm, however, rapidly becomes alarming...

I do love a do
Cathryn Northfield
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5* read that had me gripped throughout and had me wanting to pick up my kindle every chance I got!
A psychological thriller with more twists than a coiled spring, each one shocking and surprising.
This book really makes you realise how vulnerable human beings can be when feeling desperate, low and in certain mind frames.
The plot was well thought out and clever. It’s my first Louise Jenson book and I’m now so excited to read her others.
Highly recommend you add this to your to read list for when
Emma Shaw
Family. Secrets. Lies. Cults. Death. Revenge.

As soon as I read the chilling synopsis and saw the eerie cover I knew I HAD to read this book. Shadowy, sinister, claustrophobic, and dripping with suspense, this was an intoxicating and involving read.

Louise Jensen is an author who’s been on my radar for a while, but somehow I’ve never quite got around to reading one of her books. I am so glad I finally did and that it was this book. The Family is a sharp, well plotted and twisty novel, and a cunni
Jodie (jodie.loves.books)
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
Wow! This book was filled with more twists and turns than I thought was ever possible! A complete edge-of-your-seat, nail-biting thriller.

In The Family, we follow Laura and her 17 year old daughter Tilly as they struggle to cope with the loss of Gavan, Tilly’s Dad. Laura is facing huge financial problems and is desperately waiting for Gavan’s life insurance to pay out. She seeks the comfort of Saffron who lives and works at the Oak Leaf Organics Farm. Saffron suggests she visit Alex (another mem
Nicole
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I Really enjoyed this psychological thriller!

I've never read a Lousie Jensen book before but after reading the family, I'm definitely going to pick up her other books.

This was a really well written, fast paced and claustrophobic psychological thriller.

It focused a lot on cults, which I thought was really interesting and very dark.

It kind of incorporated my favourite trope in thrillers, the closed in setting, can't live trope but it was done really differently and not like in the other books I'
Julie Lacey
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great psychological thriller.
The opening chapter describes someone being seriously injured, but you don’t know who.
We then get to know Laura and her seventeen year old daughter, Tilly.
They’re both grieving for Gavan, who has left a huge hole in their lives.
Laura is struggling financially as Gavan’s life insurance hasn’t been finalised and she’s becoming more and more worried.
Tilly is struggling without her Dad and is also being picked on at school since returning after his death.
L
Natalie
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

How far would you go to protect those you love?

This book is fast paced and grips you from the first chapter, drawing you in for a bumpy, heartbreaking ride full of twists you don't see coming.
The story unfolds told from the perspective of three of the main characters - Laura, Tilly and Alex.
I loved the twists at the end of the book and all my guessing throughout the book never came close to the ending it panned out t
Diane Merritt
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very dark and twisty... was another good book from this Author. Lots of twists that i didn't see coming. Looking forward to her next book. Never seems to disappoint.

Thanks to the publisher and Net Galley for an early release of this book.
Mary
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, this was as twisty and turney (yes, I know that’s not a real world but it serves a purpose) as the Welsh lanes that feature in the story. If you have heard stories of people being inculcated into a cult and thought, I would never fall for that, read this book. This novel describes brilliantly how, when you are at your lowest ebb, a few gentle words of kindness and the offer of a helping hand, can change your world forever.

Laura’s husband, Gavan, has been killed in an accident on a buildin
Wendy
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When you read a Louise Jensen novel you know exactly what you’ll get.. a gradual increase in suspense, thrills and a great twist at the end! So starting The Family I was instantly pulled into a prologue that’s the best I’ve read in any book. A web of lies ticked along steadily with new ones being revealed, the plot progressed right from the first couple of chapters and little clues were scattered throughout that you remember when another twist is revealed. They were brilliantly disguised! I’m no ...more
Emma Shaw
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Family. Secrets. Lies. Cults. Death. Revenge.

Vivienne
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Intriguing psychological thriller

‘Once you’re in, they’ll NEVER let you leave’ - cover ‘The Family’

My thanks to HQ for an eARC via NetGalley of Louise Jenson’s ‘The Family’ in exchange for an honest review.

After the sudden death of her husband, Laura is struggling with her overwhelming grief and severe financial problems. While there was an insurance policy it cannot be paid out until after the inquest some months away. Also, Laura is having issues with her husband’s family.

Then a lifeline is
Erika
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley and HQ for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Laura finds herself in a financial mess when her husband dies in an accident and she is left to fend for herself and her 17 year old daughter. Making matters worse, her husband’s housing development business was thought to be responsible for a girl getting sick with leukemia after her home was built on a former toxic dump. A boycott against the family effectively puts Laura’s florist shop out of business. Due to
peggy
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Your husband is dead in a terrible work accident. The life insurance pay out is being held up. You are going to lose your home and business and you can do nothing. What are you going to do? A chance meeting and a conversation seems to be the answer. A local community Oak Leaf Organics offers you and your seventeen year old daughter a home until you are back on your feet. What is it they say If You Think Something Is Too Good To Be True then it usually is. Lots of twists and turns and so many sec ...more
Vikki Patis
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Most people know that Louise Jensen is a pro at psychological thrillers, but The Family is in a league of its own. With multiple threads woven through, twists at every turn, and a pace fast enough to make your heart race, I couldn't stop turning the pages of The Family. Another triumph for Jensen.
Rachel Gilbey
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the prologue I was gripped, I wasn't entirely sure what had happened but I knew I wanted to find out more.

Throughout reading this I had a deeply unsettled feeling, there was so many secrets and twists, it really keeps you on your toes.

The setting I think is a big part of the creepy atmosphere of this book, as most of it is set in an isolated farm community, that has taken Laura and Tilly in. But once they are in, you have to wonder if they will ever be allowed to leave.

As you may guess f
Sue K
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Complex psychological thriller

When Laura's husband, Gavan, falls to his death on a building site, she is faced with financial ruin and her florist business is also flagging. When Saffron comes to her shop selling organic products from a local farm - Oak Leaf Organics - Laura pours her troubles out and opens a lifeline for herself and her daughter, Tilly, to join the community at the farm for nothing where the charismatic Alex is the head of the commune.

At first everything is good and Laura and d
Karly
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Thank you to the publishers and netgalley for the E-ARC of this book.

Wow! What a book! This is the first time I have ever read anything by Louise Jenson, and it definitely will not be the last. I'm usually pretty good at guessing where things are heading but I was wrong on several occasions. This was full of surprises and full of twists and turns right to the end.

I loved how it was set in Wales with the occasional bit of Welsh being thrown in. It really set the scene well for me and I could cle
Steph Lawrence
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Coincidence.
Fate.
Destiny.
Very twisty psychological thriller.
Saffron is in Laura’s florists trying to get her to sell organic produce from the farm business, Oak Leaf Organics. Laura having just lost her husband suddenly has a panic attack and Saffron offers to take Laura home. Here Laura pours her heart out to this stranger about the possibility she will lose both her florist business and family home due to delays in paying out on her husband’s estate. Saffron offers Laura and daughter Tilly she
Becca
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Laura’s husband dies, Gavan, dies unexpectedly. This leaves herself and her seventeen year old daughter, Tilly, in a world where nothing feels the same. Financially struggling and ostracised from Gavan’s brother, wife and niece, she accepts an invitation to stay at Oak Leaf Organics to help her back on her feet. Will this be the making, or breaking of the two-strong family unit?

I enjoyed the differing viewpoints in the novel and the variety this gave, although it felt like one in particular was
Harmony Kent
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins for a free ARC of this book.

The Family brings us the sudden death of a husband. An argument with the inlaws. A widow and her daughter left alone and in financial difficulty. Then enters Saffron and Alex, who offer Laura and Tilly shelter at a local farm turned kind-of-cult. As if things weren't bad enough already, they soon take a turn for the worse.

I love good psychological thrillers with plenty of twists and turns and familial betrayal. Somehow, this boo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »