Start by marking “Sleeping Beauty” as Want to Read:
Sleeping Beauty

Sleeping Beauty

Oxana, a young dancer from the turn of the 19th century, is the victim of a terrible curse that plunges her into a deep sleep. She awakens a hundred years later with no memory of the past in a time that is not her own. Why has she lost her memory? What power does her strange medallion hold? What are the intentions of the mysterious man in white who comes to her assistance?
Published April 17th 2019 by Europe Comics

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping Beauty

MischaS_
May 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
***Advance Review Copy generously provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I love Sleeping Beauty, and I love ballet. So, this seemed like the perfect combo for me.

Unfortunately, that did not happen. I was not a fan of the art; the colours were somewhat off for my liking. And this was not my favourite Sleeping beauty retelling at all.

While I got the premise, I did not enjoy it or found it that clever. In certain parts, I got a bit of Cinderella vibes for some reason. And I ha
♠️ TABI ♠️
May 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
'Oxana, a young dancer from the turn of the 19th century, is the victim of a terrible curse that plunges her into a deep slumber . . . She awakens a hundred years later with no memory of the past in a time that is not her own. Why has she lost her memory? What power does her strange necklace hold? And what are the intentions of the mysterious man in white who comes to her aid?'

description

I wanted to like this. I really enjoyed the ballet elements and dance scenes in here, and the simplistic beauty of the a
Liliana Silva
I admit that I left for this reticent book after reading some less positive reviews.
But I had a surprise. What I thought was a simple story proved to be a mixture of mystery and romance. Only pity, it's so small.
I look forward to Act II!
Erika
May 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
1.5 stars.

It was a quick read but the story is too fast paced with barely any details and moreover too unrealistic even for a fiction. There's barely any time for emotions to sink in even, it quickly just jumps to the next scene. This is more like a children's comic rather than general fiction (adult). The art is nice during important scenes but most of the time it looks rushed with barely any details. Also on the cliche side.

ARC was free from NetGalley.
Stephanie
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Ohhhh anime ballerinas.
The artwork is adorable but the story is a bit clunky. It takes a while to get into the flow of the story. 3.5 stars.
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Hannah
Apr 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
I received this book digitally on Netgalley in return for an honest review.

I gave it a 1 star because in all honesty, I didn't enjoy the story. The story was incredibly rushed, never explained, what even is 'the company'? The drawing style reminded me of manga and anime, which I'm admittedly not a big fan of. I also didn't quite care for the ballet theme.

And because it was so rushed and underexplained, I really didn't feel any interest in the characters at all. It's not a graphic novel I will re
Steff Pasciuti
Were I about 18 years younger, I would have absolutely adored this book with every single piece of my being. With its beautiful storytelling, captivating characters, gorgeous artwork, and rather unbelievable conveniences Sleeping Beauty both illustrated and written by Karina is pretty perfect for young me. In the strangest of ways, it actually takes me back to a few months ago in which I was finally fully reading the Sailor Moon Manga for the first time in an act of nostalgia. Though, of course, ...more
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed here are my own.
A modern take on the classic tale, Sleeping Beauty, beginnings during the turn of the 19th century before Oxana, a young ballet dancer playing the part of Princess Aurora, is put to sleep only to be woken a 100 years later by the mysterious Man in White. Who makes her promise that she will perform the part of Aurora once more.
She wakes to a world filled with so
Vivienne
My thanks to Europe Comics for a digital edition vis NetGalley of ‘Sleeping Beauty Act 1’ written and illustrated by Karina in exchange for an honest review. It was translated from the French by Jessie Aufiery.

This ballet-themed retelling opens in the late 19th Century as Oxana, a young dancer, is about to make her debut as Princess Aurora at the premiere of the Sleeping Beauty ballet at a grand theatre. Another member of the Company is fired by the Oxana’s father, the theatre’s director. This p
Theediscerning
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A comic that will definitely appeal to girls with a fancy for dancing and the ballet. Way back when, a young girl was given the premiere of Sleeping Beauty, only for a nasty type dancing opposite her to curse her to centuries' sleep, just like her character. When she is woken up it's at the urging of a Man in White, who seems to be funding his mysterious lifestyle by thieving things from the dance academy leaders. But is he only stealing things back – after all, the dark-haired criminal of the p ...more
Tiffany
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh, my heart! How I wanted to fall head over heels into the world of a ballet inspired retelling of Sleeping Beauty. And I did for the most part. Oxana, the main character of this graphic novel, has a curse laid over her and she falls into a slumber lasting 100 years,,,,,blah blah blah... You know the drill. So she wakes up, no memory of her life before and begins this life as a ballet dancer. That's cool. But what about the curse?! The story about her becoming a dancer again and regaining her m ...more
Josee Bookshelf
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one did surprise me.
I really loved the story, i felt this attachment to the characters.
at the end i thought it would end turns out its a sequel. so i can't wait for the release for the 2nd one.
but if you have the chance to pick this one up.
Please do yourself a favor and do it :)
Reggie Virus
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I thought this was so cute! Thank you Netgalley for the arc. I liked the art and the outfit she was wearing.
élodie
May 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
J'ai reçu ce livre via NetGalley contre un avis honnête.
Si le thème de la danse qui berce l'oeuvre est très prometteur, et que les dessins sont très jolis, Sleeping Beauty n'est pas ce que j'espérais. L'intrigue est plate, très simple, les personnages en sont presque enfantins, pas assez approfondis. La BD est, au final, assez courte, mais offre une idée de suite qui pourrait se révéler prometteuse. Je n'ai cependant pas été séduite, ce sera donc sans moi pour la suite.
Allisa White
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
A young woman is the star in the ballet Sleeping Beauty, but something happens to make her fall asleep for 100 years, just like the story. When she wakes up, the young woman pledges to become Sleeping Beauty again. This book's concept sounded interesting, but it's execution was a little too rushed for me. The characters were introduced quickly, and then everything moved on. I had too many questions like, how is this girl able to sneak into a prestigious dance school? How can her friends accept h ...more
OjoAusana
Apr 21, 2019
Yentl ♥
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the art in this manga styled Sleeping Beauty. It was very pretty and if there is one thing I like is pretty manga. As for the story, I liked this retelling of the classic fairy tale. It was cute and mysterious. I would love to read the next volumes to see how it ends.
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!).
Sleeping Beauty tells us the story of Oxana, a young ballerina with the lead role of the ballet Sleeping Beauty in the 19th century. Her father ends up provoking the hate of a dancer that decides to take revenge on Oxana. Oxana is put under a sleeping spell just like the Sleeping Beauty. Centuries go by and she wakes up in modern times with the help of a mysterious masked man.
I enjoyed Sleeping Beauty, it