Start by marking “False Value (Rivers of London, #8)” as Want to Read:
False Value (Rivers of London, #8)

False Value

(Rivers of London #8)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  11,818 ratings  ·  1,089 reviews

Peter Grant is facing fatherhood, and an uncertain future, with equal amounts of panic and enthusiasm. Rather than sit around, he takes a job with émigré Silicon Valley tech genius Terrence Skinner's brand new London start up - the Serious Cybernetics Company.

Drawn into the orbit of Old Street's famous 'silicon roundabout', Peter must learn how to blend in with people who

Kindle Edition, UK edition, 416 pages
Published February 20th 2020 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about False Value, please sign up.
Marco The "woman" Victor emphasizes the name when the characters introduce themselves, Peter picks up on Victor's self-identifying as male, rolls with it an…moreThe "woman" Victor emphasizes the name when the characters introduce themselves, Peter picks up on Victor's self-identifying as male, rolls with it and deals with that accordingly from then on and without making a fuss about it.
Not making a deal out of that point is the whole point. See the sentence in italics. (less)

·  11,818 ratings  ·  1,089 reviews

Start your review of False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
carol.
Mar 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: hard core fans
Delivered as advertised.

Oh yes; you heard right. The founder of Goodreads’ Folly Irregulars and long-time fan of Peter Grant (the novels), has found a Peter Grant book to be over-rated and boring. I daresay even badly written. Hopefully, a second listen-through can redeem it, but there is no way that should be a thing for an urban fantasy.

Narrative is from Peter, but this feels like an older, even more serious Peter. There’s a few humorous observations along the way, and some waxing emotional ov
Phrynne
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant episode in this great series. And as usual I must compliment the narrator on his excellent work. He really makes these books come alive.

A long running story arc came to an end in the previous book so this one started afresh. Peter is soon to become the father of twins, who may or may not be magic beings, and we see a softer side of his character occasionally. Of course he is still cynical and prone to making smart comments which make the book entertaining.

Peter is working under
Nataliya
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
“What have we got to lose?’ I said.
Nightingale looked up and gave me a strange, sad smile.
‘Oh, everything, Peter,’ he said. ‘But then, such is life.”
By book 8 in any series, you’re either a fan or are wasting your time.

I’m a fan. Enough of a fan to finally 5-star the previous installment, Lies Sleeping, which was the first 5-star for me in this series. And sadly, so far the only one.

The previous book wrapped up a long-running Faceless Man arc of this series; this one is setting up a new a
Mimi
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The next book in one of my favorite series with a cover done in my favorite color scheme.

* * * * *

Release date now FEBRUARY of 2020...

*side-eyeing every single comic book Ben Aaronovitch worked on this year instead on this book*

* * * * *

Really good. So good that I'm no longer side-eyeing all those other things Ben Aaronovitch worked on last year instead of this book. He can work on whatever he wants from now on and I won't make snide comments as long as he keeps on producing this level of quali
Lyn
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I’m a big fan of the Canadian progressive rock band Rush. I’ve got all of their studio albums, 19, and know all the songs and a lot of detail about the band. If you asked me what my favorite top three Rush albums are, I would reply: Moving Pictures, 2112, and Signals. If you asked me what my least favorite was I would first state that I like them all, they are all excellent and I enjoy listening to them all. But, for the sake of the question I would have to say Rush, their 1974 eponymous first a ...more
Bradley
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
On sheer enjoyment level, I'm always very enthusiastic about Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series, and this one is no exception. I dug in and dug it well, indeed.

From the very start, we get knee-deep in many Douglas Adams homages almost immediately after getting a very emotional reference bot Bowie. I LOVE the whole idea of the Sirius Corporation. From first-day employees wearing a towel around their heads to Vogon management to a dozen other great London High-Tech Field goodies. You know, like
Milda Page Runner
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
3.5* rounded down.
I love this series, but this book felt much weaker compared to the rest of it. Main investigation is interesting, unfortunately there is too much sidetracking and rather mundane stuff: dinners, family picnics, looking after pregnant girlfriend, mildly amusing conversations with random new people Peter meets. Secondary cast is getting too huge too. I hope the next one will have more focus.
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I'm so glad I kept up with this series! As I said in my review of the last novel in the series, Lies Sleeping, I had gone through a slump with this series for a few in the middle. I had to catch up to get to my ARC of Lies Sleeping, and the book didn't disappoint. It made it worth it.

Well, this one keeps up the quality!

We've got technology and magic colliding in this one. While the beginning can b
Martin
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
For the first time I finished a book in the series, and went eh. I thought the series had been getting stronger right up til the point that the Faceless Man gets shot last book, and was wondering where the series would go. At the end of this book, you kind of have an idea, but also there's a lot more "law and order" going on, when at this point it would be the intelligence organizations stepping in. My long anticipation was disappointed. Partly because Ben is now referencing so much from other s ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/03/05/...

You have no idea how much I’ve been looking forward to this book. We’re now on the eighth installment of the Rivers of London series, and as much as I’ve enjoyed my time with the Faceless Man arc, I also felt it was high time we moved onto something new. Still, while we may be at the dawn of a new chapter in Peter Grant’s life here in False Value, there are still a few mysteries left over from the previous books. Certainly
Sara Tilley
One for sci-fi fans. This book widens the Rivers universe, moving on from the Faceless Man storyline. This gives the series a new lease of life but loses its focus. It’s not got that vivid London vibe.
Once you get into it, the historical tech world is fascinating but the story is pretty confusing for the first few chapters. There’s such a huge cast of characters that they started to blur.
It’s a transitional tale where almost everyone who has ever appeared seemed to pop up or be referenced, in a
Emma
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this. I liked the beginning chapters which meant the reader had to work harder to work out what was going on. I liked the fact that so many of the characters we’ve already met played their part too. I was worried I wouldn’t be able to keep up with the technological side, but I pretty much did.
❀⊱RoryReads⊰❀
3.5 stars.
Good, but I hope that in future stories Aaronovitch will write more about the Folly and that we'll see more of Nightingale, Molly, Leslie and some of the other characters we've come to know and love. The author has built a wonderful, magical world with almost endless possibilities for adventures. I look forward to reading them.
Wanda
Obviously, I wouldn't be reading book 8 of this series if I didn't seriously enjoy Peter Grant and his magickal London. I even spent my own moolah to buy a copy to permanently accession into my personal library.

I understand Peter moving in with Beverley, he bloody better if she's expecting his twin children. But I do miss the Folly, Toby, Molly, and more downtime with Nightingale. Aaronovitch has developed so many characters that I'm fond of that he can't possibly shoehorn them all into every bo
Arie
It pains me so much to give the latest adventures of Peter Grant a mere 3 stars...
But alas, I must.

(I still adore this series, I promise. It would take a lot to shake that, and this didn't cause a dent in my love for the characters, the settings, the general overall joy of being in this version of London.

False Value just... wasn't amazing. It took me a solid week to read, in the middle of a complete pandemic lockdown. My thesis was briefly on hold, or at least allowed a pause; there was nowher
Sal
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I've loved this series from the beginning but I hate to admit it, I really struggled with this one. The start confused me, I didn't like Peter undercover, and it was ages before we saw anything of the Folly or Nightinglale. And worse of all, hardly any Toby!
My main problem was the central tech heavy plot. I love the darkly magical stories where Peter explores wonderful hidden parts of London. This plot felt very far away from that and it bored me. The constant Hitchhiker references got old fast,
lucky little cat
Oh, this just is not a five-star outing for Peter & the gang. (Those sky-high ratings must be from wishful voting.) I actually *like* player pianos and other musical punch-card automata, but this by-the-numbers mystery still wore out its welcome with even nerdy ol' me.

The regular check-ins with Beverly aaand the regular updates on the Folly renovations felt pretty darned rote as well.

Although I was charmed by Molly's super-tiny pastries. How pathetic a commentary is that on the rest of the book
Eri
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-en
Two cups of tea later, I'd really like to be excited about this, but while there were some very good parts, the overall theme did not work for me the way I was expecting it to right now. ...more
Louise
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lata
My favourite copper Peter Grant totally threw me at the open of this book. Not that one of his most endearing qualities was gone (Peter "distracted" Grant is still in evidence). Not, it was that he didn't appear to be with the Met anymore. I knew, however, that if I just trusted Ben Aaronovitch, he wouldn't let me down, which he did not. I enjoyed this next installment, and it seemed like the author has introduced a new Big Bad.
And a major development in Peter Grant's personal life, which will
Paul E. Morph
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There’s not much point writing a lengthy review of this one (not that I ever write lengthy reviews) as, if you’re already a fan of the series, you will be picking this one up anyway and if you’re not you probably aren’t going to start with book eight.

Suffice it to say that this book does not fail to deliver all the Rivers of London goodness that we fans have come to love. There was an extra thrill for me, though, as half of the book is set just around the corner from where I live! In fact, the g
Andrew
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And so we enter a new phased of Peter Grant, now I will admit that with the various books so far in the series (I am omitting the graphic novels since although they are also placed in the common time line they do not have stories that added to the over arc) this book although not a departure from the world we come to know and love - no worries no spoilers - does represent a new start.

And by new start catching up with some old friends since each book appears to introduce an ever increasing roster
Laura Spira
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
I think I've reached peak Aaronovitch, I'm afraid. The plot is quite clever although the twists and turns didn't all make sense. The subsidiary characters were a bit flat and in places hard to tell apart and probably superfluous. (And there's a glitch right at the beginning about Victor which was irritating: was it poor copy editing or something more subtle?)

The magic remains interesting but I preferred the earlier books where Molly, Toby, the Rivers and the Folly all played a larger part. The t
Marzie
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-net-galley
4.5 Stars

The Rivers of London series is one of my favorites in urban fantasy. The fabulous character development and comparable world-building are such a pleasure to read. Our latest outing, False Value, opens with Peter Grant working his new job, as security for the Serious Cybernetics Corporation. Or is he really? Readers left hanging on the outcome of Peter's suspension at the end of Lies Sleeping may initially be shocked, but hang in there. Nightingale still has his young apprentice's ba
Miriam
Aaaaaaah so good so good so good! I loved having a book in this series that focused more closely on Peter, Nightingale and Beverley again. I love the big ensemble plots the last two books had, but this was nice as well, and there was so much character and relationship development here (especially between Bev and Peter), which was very necessary and great to see. The ethics of Rivers are finally discussed in more depth, and in ways that promise exciting future developents.
The strange world of tec
Lindsay
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
In the first part of this novel we have Peter Grant in his new job (!) working security for the Serious Cybernetics Corporation (complete with a truckload of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy references) and cutting back to a month earlier where he's still on the job as one of a handful of wizard police in London. What follows is an investigation which goes to the foundations of computing itself and links it to the world of the Folly as well as laying the groundwork for the series next big bad. M ...more
Hank
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Perhaps a bit overly complicated but as with a very few other series, I am hooked on the characters and Aaronovitch could write just about anything in this world and I would enjoy it. As usual this was a listen for me and also as usual Kobna is a genius. The way he brings Peter's humor to life is awesome. The way he can add a very subtle flavor to each of the character's voices, making it easy to differentiate is also awesome. I never want to be a writer but I would love to be a narrator like Ko ...more
Vendela
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not quite as perfect as some earlier ones but still good
Alison
Four and a half stars.

Peter Grant has left the Police and taken a job with Silicon Valley tech genius Terrence Skinner's new London start up: the Serious Cybernetics Corporation. Or has he?

We are thrown in at the deep end at the start of this book with Peter's interview with SCC and then the first few chapters alternate between events in January when Peter starts work at SCC, and events in the preceding December which I found confusing at first.

I'm not going to attempt to explain the plot which
Stephen Richter
Another fun installment in the Rivers of London series. Had that maddening habit of mentioning an event in which you think, " I missed that, I will need to backtrack a bit" only to have the explanation of the event come in the next chapter. Again the narration by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith is the perfect marriage between the tale and the performance of that tale. The absolute best way to experience the series. ...more
SOS: Serious Over...: [Dec 2019 - tie] "False Value" Discussion 1 32 Oct 23, 2019 07:55AM

• Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)
  • Alone in the Wild (Rockton, #5)
  • Snug: A Collection of Comics about Dating Your Best Friend
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • A Long Petal of the Sea
  • Monstrous Regiment (Discworld, #31; Industrial Revolution, #3)
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
  • The New One: Painfully True Stories from a Reluctant Dad
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
  • The Librarian of Auschwitz
  • Sleepwalk With Me and Other Painfully True Stories
  • A Loyal Character Dancer (Inspector Chen Cao #2)
  • Death of a Red Heroine (Inspector Chen Cao #1)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
  • Blackberry Burial (A Berry Basket Mystery #2)
  • The End of All Things (Old Man's War, #6)
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.

Rivers of London (8 books)
  • Rivers of London (Rivers of London, #1)
  • Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London, #2)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Rivers of London, #3)
  • Broken Homes (Rivers of London, #4)
  • Foxglove Summer (Rivers of London, #5)
  • The Hanging Tree (Rivers of London, #6)
  • Lies Sleeping (Rivers of London, #7)