Start by marking “Trailblazer: The Power of Business as the Greatest Platform for Change” as Want to Read:
Trailblazer: The Power of Business as the Greatest Platform for Change

Trailblazer: The Power of Business as the Greatest Platform for Change

The founder and co-CEO of Salesforce delivers an inspiring vision for the future of business—one in which anyone is empowered to change the world.

“The gold standard on how to use business as a platform for change at this urgent time.”—Ray Dalio, founder of Bridgewater Associates and author of theNew York TimesbestsellerPrinciples: Life and Work

What’s the secret to
Published October 15th 2019 by Currency

To ask other readers questions about Trailblazer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trailblazer

Start your review of Trailblazer: The Power of Business as the Greatest Platform for Change
Alok Kejriwal
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

One paragraph review - If you want to learn Business insights, pains & losses that Marc experienced while building Salesforce, you'll be disappointed. If you want to learn how a massively successful digital entrepreneur views the world & what he does to bring change, you will be delighted.

My highlights:
- Marc's spiritual leaning. He was blessed by Amma (hugging saint) before his success. He is a devout follower of Thich Nhat Hanh the super popular Vietnamese Spiritual leader. Marc makes
Michael Payne
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Benioff refer often to this quote from Albert Einstein: “If I had an hour to solve a problem, I'd spend fifty-five minutes thinking about the problem and five minutes thinking about solutions.”

Think about that.

Read the book.

Drive change.

Change.

PS - Re: Salesforce Tower. Hey Marc, Go Anywhere! It works.
Think about that.
Sarah Amin
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Over the past 7 years working in the Salesforce ecosystem, the community has had the largest impact. The Salesforce community or 'Ohana' - is the most welcoming and encouraging community I've ever been a part of, making this former Biochemist feel comfortable as an #accidentaladmin turned #awesomeadmin. Marc's book tells the story behind the culture and values of an organization consistently rated as one of the best places to work. It's clear that the culture and values of Salesforce as an ...more
Brad Revell
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review is here: https://www.bradrevell.com/?p=1429

Three key takeaways from the book:
1. What would your answer be if you asked what is the most important aspect of your organization? Your revenue, profits, shareholders, customers or employees? Benioff says it is values and that trust is the #1 value.
2. If you focus the majority of time on the problem (versus on the solution), the solution will become apparent.
3. Companies should be doing good versus doing well. A slight play of words, however,
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
As someone who often interacts with Salesforce folks (I live in the Bay Area) I'd heard here and there that Benioff was a different kind of leader. This book really brought home just how different he is. I found a lot of striking sayings or quotes (not sure which honestly) that resonated with me. Perhaps due to the elements of meditation and awareness it was more than a little bit spiritual almost.

When he discussed priorities he states the obvious which is if everything is a priority, nothing
Antonio Hernandez
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Full reflection found: TheAntonioHernandez.com

Part business memoir, part Salesforce advertisement, part leadership lesson, Trailblazer blends these three themes into one cohesive story. As a leadership lesson, he offers one key insight: great leaders and organizations are driven by their values.

The lessons that he communicates are valuable and Benioff shows a level of humility in his mistakes that I don’t often see in business and leadership books, but the impact of these insights clashes with
Daniel Ballinger
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was provided an advanced copy for review via the Salesforce MVP program.

With my day job being entwined with Salesforce for over the last decade I've lived through many of the events that are covered in the book. Albeit that was as someone outside the mothership. I found the book gave a different internal perspective on many of those same events.

It was interesting to read about how the core values that are so often highlighted as part of Salesforce's culture evolved and were refined over time
Alex
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cruised through this book and found it motivating and yet grounding to me at the same time. This book really solidified to me that the working for a company that cares and leads with Consciences is something to chase or hold onto. Standing up for more then the Qrt numbers is worth it but also shows as holding rewards in the social regulates but also financially and generalized success.

I loved hearing what felt like a behind the curtain stories of this this amazing company. Example: the story
Jessica Haider
Not just a business book but a book about how important values should be in business.

Marc Benioff is founder and co-CEO of salesforce. For most of my adult life, I worked at a salesforce competitor, so I have been in the "software" environment that he talks about in this book. This book isn't directly about salesforce, but Benioff uses examples from his experiences at the company and at previous jobs as he talks about how important values are in business and in life. Benioff covers topics
Michael Jones
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written book and very interesting. Unlike most "CEO books", which are usually ghost-written, self-aggrandizing wastes of time and paper, this book gives us insights into Marc as a person, and into the foundational values of Salesforce as it began. There are great examples of how a leader is tested and challenged, and how being such a public face to a company can impact every aspect of the life of that CEO as well as their family.
As an employee of Salesforce, this book makes me even more
Lo
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: innovation
It was an inspiring read and I have a lot of respect for Benioff in his missions in life. I think it's great that he's using his own company's money, people, and products to better the world. My one suggestion for improvement is a little more humbleness and vulnerability. I admire Beneioff's ability to persist and use his passion to motivate him. However, from the book, I got the idea that he sometimes bulldozes through people without listening-- like in the case of the bill he was trying to ...more
Stevo Brock
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a Best of the Best for the month of November, 2019, as selected by Stevo's Book Reviews on the Internet / Stevo's Nobel Ideas. You can find me at http://forums.delphiforums.com/stevo1, on my Stevo's Novel Ideas Amazon Influencer page (https://www.amazon.com/shop/stevo4747), on Twitter (https://twitter.com/Stevo4747), on LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/in/brocksteve/) or search for me on Google for many more reviews and recommendations.
Mo Arshath
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Marc Benioff shares how the core values of Salesforce helped them in critical situations and by using 1% of their Equity - 1% of Product - 1% of Employee time is dedicated to giving back they are creating a dent in the world. In spite of aligning the core values in giving back to the society Salesforce being the tech darling for its employees and the investors is the living proof that for a business of the future the primary goal is no longer an option to do well without doing good.
Jennifer Lange
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can you have ethics AND make money? Oh heck yeah! Salesforce (under Benioff’s leadership) has been doing just that. From its founding, through its ups and downs - trust is the key value. And I was surprised and happy to read more about the bad times; Benioff and Langly didn’t sweep them under the rug: they confronted them head on - in the book, and IRL.
Héctor Hernández Curiel
Undervalued mindset

People misunderstand or demerite companies that care about their environment. This a great example of being successful, create value to shareholders, care of their employees, their environment and equality. Lots and lots of work and money but it’s worth it and it’s the future
Sacha Declomesnil
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This guy is a fighter. Never been afraid to declare war to titanic new enemies, like Facebook. I love the fact that such a warrior takes the fight of compassion and happiness, new values i feel in line with in business. There couldn’t be a better ambassador to instill new more human values in the work environment! It’s a start.
Damien
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Were I not a Salesforce employee, and got the book for free, I would never have read this kind of book.

It came out as a good surprise. I expected it to be entirely marketing. It's really more of an autobiography which is quite enjoyable.
Brandon L.
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Story!

I really enjoyed this story. A true case of a business leading by example. Highly recommend this book to anyone, but especially to those who have majored or will major in business. You’ll see the concepts and theories come to life.
Bill Florio
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like reading stories about big companies, I generally don't like autobiographical works. In any case, I think a lot of the leadership Marc exerts sets an example for other businesses leaders and I'm glad he's documented his approach of doing *good* while doing "well".
Vincent
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
A good read. Marc's vision for business and the potential to fix social problems is a hopeful vision. The book serves as a good starting point for discussion of what good capitalism should be.
Angela Xu
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
An inspiring easy read. I wish the book wrote more about how Salesforce became successful beyond the culture.
Laura Luzzi
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway, business
Good book with great message. Will pass it along to my son who just started his own business.
World Economic  Forum Book Club
Our November 2019 Book Club Pick!
Lee
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good book about workplace culture. Are you using your profits to make the world a better place.
Daniel Ballinger
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was provided an advanced copy for review via the Salesforce MVP program.

Emilee Telyea

• Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber
  • Mindf*ck: Cambridge Analytica and the Plot to Break America
  • Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know about the People We Don't Know
  • Bitcoin Billionaires: A True Story of Genius, Betrayal, and Redemption
  • The Business of Platforms: Strategy in the Age of Digital Competition, Innovation, and Power
  • Shut Up and Listen!: Hard Business Truths that Will Help You Succeed
  • Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Permanent Record
  • Tools and Weapons: The Promise and the Peril of the Digital Age
  • The Triumph of Injustice: How the Rich Dodge Taxes and How to Make Them Pay
Marc Benioff is chairman, co-CEO, and founder of Salesforce and a pioneer of cloud computing. Benioff was named the Decade’s Top Innovator by Forbes, one of the World’s Greatest Leaders by Fortune, and one of the 10 Best-Performing CEOs by Harvard Business Review. He has won numerous awards for his leadership on equality.

A Fortune 500 company with more than 45,000 employees, Salesforce has been
“Here’s the thing about values: You have to use words to identify them, but they won’t create true value for you unless they turn into consistent behaviors.” 0 likes
“It’s about how to create a culture where doing well is synonymous with doing good in order to thrive in a world where a company is only as strong as the principles it adopts.” 0 likes