Start by marking “The Sunday Story Club” as Want to Read:
The Sunday Story Club

The Sunday Story Club

'I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cry. But the salons have given me the opportunity to look back and think about my life...I don't talk to anyone about these feelings outside of the salon.'

We all carry stories within us - wrenching, redemptive, extraordinary, and laced with unexpected and hard-won wisdom.

These are the real-life stories that a group of women tell each other when
ebook
Published June 25th 2019 by Macmillan Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Sunday Story Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sunday Story Club

Start your review of The Sunday Story Club
Jessica B
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last night I finished The Sunday Story Club by Doris Brett and Kerry Cue. This book feels so deeply personal to me. It’s hard to explain. It feels like I’ve owned it my whole life and read a zillion times instead of just receiving and reading this month. i think it’s because when I was a teenage I fell in love with stories of the human experience through Chicken Soup for The Soul. This book burrowed it’s way into my heart and I will revisit these stories again I am sure. It was stressful, it was ...more
Madelyn  Baker
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I listened to this on audio and it felt like I had invited a group of wonderful women into my living room. I sat and listened to their stories, I laughed with them and cried for them. It perfectly highlights the power of telling your story and the impact it can have on not only others but yourself.

Sandy
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Interesting tales, but nothing I couldn't have found on the internet by reading personal blogs... Their origin and curation is the most interesting part, but not a book I took much away from.
Mel
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-publishers
4.5 ⭐️

Firstly, I would like to thank Pan Macmillan Australia for providing me with a free finished copy of this book to read and review.

The Sunday Story Club is a hard one for me to review, as it's essentially a collection of stories from real life people. Thus, it's quite difficult to express how I felt overall when each story provoked different feelings from me.

The Sunday Story Club is a collection of intriguing, awe-inspiring, insightful stories by real-life people. These stories provoke th
Jessica M
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it

The Sunday Story Club is a compilation of profound, heartfelt, true stories from everyday women who have experienced incredible events in their lifetimes.

Each of the stories possess a unique perspective, a touching, warm voice that guides the reader through a really private moment in their life.

This is non-fiction — each story is the true story of a real woman. The women are anonymous and have given their permission to be in this book; Doris and Kerry have met these wome
Rani Kop
May 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
This book was ridiculous. Great concept, ladies meet up to share life stories and experiences. And this book was meant to be the creme de la creme of the stories. I was hopeful of great tales of overcoming adversity, living your truth, finding your purpose. Instead I kid you not, some of the harrowing stories was how a women read a serial killers diary in university and how she was never the same. Lol. Has she not seen the iTunes podcast chart top 10? Another example of great adversity was someo ...more
Edwina
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book!.. I don’t even know how I came across it, though I am SO glad I did, I finished it in a day.
Like a huge warm hug. One of the best books I have read in a while, I didn’t want it to end. I cried and I laughed and I cringed and felt like I was having a sleepover. Love, Love, LOVED it!..
Kate
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love the idea of the 'salon' - the whole concept of deep listening; being exposed to new ideas and perspectives; and the power of the narrative, appeals immensely (I attribute this appeal partly to Priya Parmar’s superb historical account of the Bloomsbury group in Vanessa and Her Sister ). Brett and Cue have presented plenty of ideas for establishing your own salon but the bulk of this book is devoted to the stories that emerged at their 'Sunday Story Club'. The stories are mildly interest ...more
Sami
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
I’m sorry, but the only good thing I found about this book was that I was able to quickly read 1 or 2 stories a day.
The stories for me didn’t really correspond to the question, and I found myself daydreaming and going off course in every single story, nothing captures me.
Nothing jelled for me, I couldn’t get into any of the stories, I couldn’t relate to anything and I was actually pleased when I put the book down and to have rushed through the book just to get it finished for book club.
A big di
Judith
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Many of the stories the women shared resonated with me and I was impressed by the generosity of the women in sharing some really important moments in their lives. The is is strong theme of empowerment running through all stories and the voices are authentic and engaging. Interesting hints for running your own story club with great creative and open ended questions which I suspect would have wide application for interesting discussions.
Helen
Jun 01, 2020 rated it liked it
While I was moved by these women’s stories and recognise that what they felt was deeply felt, part of me thought that they were Generation X? ? Z hardships - that they could have researched their grand-parents lives and come up with real hardship and suffering. I was still glad they all reached some resolution by telling their stories.
Gia
Mar 27, 2020 rated it liked it
A nice light read of short but deeply written stories. Private emotional storytelling. Made me think, remember, dwell and participate in. Answering some of those questions would take courage and honesty.
Rosalie Pedersen
I did like this book, but I think I would have liked it better if I could personally connect with the writers of each personal essay. I think the idea of a salon is amazing, and would be keen to attend one.
Sophie
Jul 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting idea, but the answers weren’t as profound as I expected.
Denise Tannock
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
The stories of this eclectic group of women have been told with understanding and empathy and are extremely well-written. I love the idea of a salon.
Lani
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the individual stories and the parameters set.
Linh
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
A lovely collection of real stories.
Karisma
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amy Perera
Jul 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Everyone has a story to tell about their lives. This book is a collection of true inspiring and touching stories from women. Some were heartbreaking and some lifted your heart. It reminded me that there is power in a real conversation with people. 3 🌟
Pen
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Some moving stories and an interesting idea
Chookychook
Sep 30, 2020 rated it liked it
A great idea in these isolated times to start a personal story club for women. Interesting, insightful stories with advise how to start your own club.
Tracy Sung
May 31, 2020
Ruth
Mar 13, 2020
Kylie
rated it did not like it
Mar 12, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Phosphorescence: On Awe, Wonder and Things That Sustain You When the World Goes Dark
  • The Best Kind of Beautiful
  • 488 Rules for Life
  • The Dictionary of Lost Words
  • A Lifetime of Impossible Days
  • Fake: A Startling True Story of Love in a World of Liars, Cheats, Narcissists, Fantasists and Phonies
  • The Model Wife