Start by marking “I Am C-3PO: The Inside Story” as Want to Read:
I Am C-3PO: The Inside Story

I Am C-3PO: The Inside Story

"Gloriously witty, keen and spirited" J.J. Abrams, Director of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

"The odds of me ever writing a book were approximately... Oh, never mind. My golden companion worries about such things - I don't. I have indeed now written a book - telling my story, in my voice, not his - recognising that our voices and our stories are inextricably intertwined.
Published October 31st 2019 by DK

To ask other readers questions about I Am C-3PO, please sign up.
Khairul Hezry No, it doesn't. He does hint in the final page that Threepio will not die in Ep. IX, though. …moreNo, it doesn't. He does hint in the final page that Threepio will not die in Ep. IX, though. (less)

Start your review of I Am C-3PO: The Inside Story
Jean
I enjoyed this memoir. I have seen the Star Wars movies in bits and pieces. One of these days I will sit down and watch them in order and all the way through. I was surprised to learn there was a man inside the costume of C-3PO. I guess I thought it was an animated robot with a man doing the voice.

The book is well written. Daniels provides information and in-sight into his role as C-3PO; but, not a lot of information about the movie or other actors, which worked out fine for me. If you are a C-3
Mediaman
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This fairly dull "memoir" is dry and too narrowly focused on minimal experiences Daniels had while filming Star Wars productions. There is little in it beyond Star Wars minutia. Superfans will like it, but there is little to make it worth reading for those that wanted to get to know about the actor Anthony Daniels and his life outside the robotic suit.

Most of his co-stars get praised, though he says very little about them. He not-so-subtly jabs at George Lucas and hides details of the feud he h
RG
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
A little too simplistic for an autobiography. Its more a small diary snippets are working on the films. Jumps all over the place. Will appease most Star wars fans but not essential reading.
Lata
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2020-read
3.5 stars. Anthony Daniels comes off as shy, diffident and quietly funny. I always liked C-3PO and his fussbudget ways from the first time I saw him in the first Star Wars movie (later called A New Hope), and had 3PO and R2 figures when I was a kid. I’ve always loved robots!
I didn’t learn much more about Anthony Daniels the man, but did find out some new things about the filming of the original trilogy. I had known the suit was uncomfortable, but hadn’t realized Anthony Daniels had cuts, scrapes
Judy Lesley
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I took my two daughters to see the first Star Wars in a movie theatre which had just been renovated to include a sound system that would give that movie a force of sound that would remain in our memory to this day. I never became a fanatic where the movies were concerned, but there was always that fond memory of the dramatic introduction. C-3PO was definitely one of my favorite characters in the cast. When I saw this book title it just seemed a natural thing for me to read the book.

First let me
Amanda
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was SO GOOD. I was lucky enough to listen to the audiobook, which was read by Anthony Daniels himself, and if you listen at 1.5 speed, it sounds like C3PO is reading it to you! Lots of great behind the scenes stories and insider info of set life.
This is a must read/listen for any Star Wars fan!!
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
​I’m really not a non-fiction kind of guy. I like my stories to take me away from the here and now, but when I saw this book set a long time ago in my favorite galaxy far, far away, I knew that this was one to go for.

I went with the Audible version of I Am C-3PO, and what could be better than listening to C-3PO narrate his own story. Anthony Daniels’ clear, crisp voice lends itself naturally to the narration of an audio book. It really would have been a letdown if they had gotten someone else to
Phil
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anthony Daniels' memoir is moving, theatrically astute, and charmingly original. As impatient as I am to see the conclusion of the Skywalker saga in Episode 9, I am even more so after reading this book to observe the denouement of Daniel's meticulously curated character at the end of over 40 years. Like his robotic alter ego, Daniels was often overlooked in the grand scheme of the Star Wars universe, undeservedly so. He seems, to me, to be enthusiastic, kind, and amiable--qualities that seem rar ...more
Nicole
Nov 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF @ pg 115. The snippets of the story did not make sense and did not provide enough context for me. The writing was disjointed and the sentence structure seemed uneven. This is another book that doesn't feel finished, but reads like a rough draft before editing. ...more
Anthony
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another audio book. This one was better to listen to than the last because it played like a podcast.

As for the book itself, it’s essentially a recounting of Anthony Daniels time making Star Wars. As a big Star Wars fan, I did enjoy hearing his side of things and there were bits in here I didn’t know about.

He also seemed to take great pride in the role of C-3P0, even though to start off with he was a supporting character and would only later become one of the few to appear in the whole Saga

Barbara Brockhaus
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, 2019
This is a book to listen to. The audio is fabulous.
Andrew
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this book, to get Anthony Daniels perspective and thoughts on C-3PO. You get a little bit of that, most of this book is him complaining about not getting enough recognition. He also has constant jabs at George Lucas and the prequels, even suggesting that only children could enjoy the prequels. That definitely erked me a bit.

His "insights" aren't every insightful, Most of the time he just talks about how uncomfortable he was in the suit. It begins to get very repetitive,
Dennis Keithly
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed Anthony Daniels's memoir from his time as an actor portraying C-3PO and his career with Star Wars. I had heard some of the stories that he included, but this was a fresh take. As Star Wars was his first movie, it was fun to be taken along for the movie magic that he was experiencing for the first time. This book is Star Wars-centric. In that regard, the title is perfect "I am C-3PO - The Inside Story" (obviously, he was inside the droid costume), but the story Daniels told a ...more
Dru83
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the autobiography of C-3po actor Anthony Daniels. He describes his involvement in the Star Wars saga from the moment he first interviewed for the position. His book is an amazing behind the scenes look at how the many Star Wars movies were made. Even if you aren't a Star Wars fan, the book is an interesting chronicle of how movie making techniques have changed over time. It was also intriguing reading about his interactions with other famous Stars Wars people, such as George Lucas, J.J. ...more
Jacob Vahle
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was secretly hoping that he would tell the story of waking up two twin boys at Star Wars Celebration 2001 in Indianapolis who had fallen asleep during the Star Wars Concert he conducted (true story - cute little 7 year old me barely remembers the moment, but we have pictures to remember it!) - but instead I got a delightful book where Anthony Daniels chronicles how he created C3PO and how he wrestled with spending the entire saga with his face masked. A really fun read for the hardcore Star Wa ...more
Kyle
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
All about Anthony Daniels as C-3PO

The reason I wrote that headline is because that is what this book is - it is less an autobiography and more of a compilation of memoirs about Daniels' involvement in eleven Star Wars theatrical releases, animated series, television appeances, etc.

The pluses:
* Daniels has a very comfortable and conversational writing style. His sense of humor eminates from the pages. The narrative is very consistent and efficient; it is a quick read.

* The reader learns much ab
Ernest Solar
Apr 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-wars
The original Star Wars films have been an influential part of my life for so long and I enjoy all things Star Wars. I especially enjoy behind the scenes stories and trivia related to the original movies. So when I got this book for Christmas, I was excited to dive in and I really wanted to like this book!

Unfortunately, I had a hard time reading and finishing Anthony Daniel’s story. Many of the behind-the-scene snippets were interesting, but every story seemed to be tainted with some negative mo
Karen
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
Hard one to rate. Obviously I loved all the behind the scenes information on Star Wars -- that's what this book promises and delivers. And it's great to hear from one of the unsung heroes of the movies. But I must say, at times it was a little grouchy. ...more
Bill Gauthier
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charming and Touching

Anthony Daniels’s charming story behind the mask of the ever-beloved C-3PO is an interesting, entertaining, charming, and touching book. The love and respect for this character is evident throughout the book, and to understand just how much work Daniels put into bringing Threepio to life shows just how good he is as an actor. It has humor, sadness, anger, and love throughout. A must-read for Star Wars fans, people into pop culture, actors, storytellers, and filmmakers.
Brit
May 23, 2020 added it
Shelves: audio
This memoir was a delight to listen to because it is read by Anthony Daniels himself. However, it was also difficult to finish because he constantly feels sorry for himself and complains. I understand how he may have felt at the beginning but the constant negativity was hard.
RobynRiana
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I AM C-3PO: The Inside Story by Anthony Daniels

This is a memoir of two people, a man and a droid, their relationship, and their place in the Star Wars.
See-Threepio became real because of actor Anthony Daniels’ efforts and vision for the lurching, golden protocol droid. Our panicky, pedantic pal vocalized our own reactions to the violent events of ‘A New Hope’.
Inside that first incarnation of Threepio’s suit, visibility was near nonexistent, with little improvement over the years. Nevertheless, D
Rachel
I usually skip celebrity memoirs as I’ve found them to be underwhelming, but my four year old picked this out for me for Christmas because “Mommy likes books and Mommy likes Star Wars”. So of course I’m going to read it. And I’m glad I did.

I learned a lot about the behind the scenes from my favorite movies. I had no idea that being inside the C3PO costume was so grueling and isolating. In the beginning of the book, Daniels goes through A New Hope for almost every one of his scenes and dissects
Lara Girgis
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Anthony Daniels tells his star wars experiences with what seems to be a real humility and gentleness. Yes, the story is about him and his often overlooked contributions but it seems to me like the main focus was on the contributions of others.
The famous actors and directors take a secondary position while the hardworking crew, the less recognised extras, the thoughtful sound technicians and many other individuals are brought forward.
The book is really a celebration of kind-hearted people who h
Andrew Middlestead
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read! From the only actor to be in all 11 Star Wars films (inc Rogue One and Solo (as a diff role)). What a journey through his lifetime with such an incoming franchise.
angelofmine1974
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My review of this book can be found on my Youtube Vlog at:

Enjoy!
Bri
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
c-3po just read a book to me!!!!
Dina
Nov 16, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs, audiobooks
9 hours and 40 minutes of Anthony Daniels whining about not getting enough attention, not being appreciated (enough), and how difficult wearing the suit was. He sounds like an entitled child who was upset for not getting a participation trophy. Sure putting on the suit everyday and bringing a droid to life is no easy job but we can all agree that C-3PO is not the main character of the sagas and therefore it is only logic to not promote him as the same character or as an equal to say, Mark Hamill ...more
FunkyPlaid
Dec 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF p. 115. I just couldn't spend any more of my time on this, which is marketed as an autobiographical memoir but instead reads like a rather desperate, therapist-ordered life journal about being underappreciated and unfairly treated throughout Daniels' Star Wars career. It contains far too much bottled up ire and resentment and a disproportionate amount of irritating, overly-clever turns of phrase to be enlightening for the general Star Wars fan, and overall it just made me feel saddened – and ...more
Annie
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs
I am a devoted Star Wars fan so this review is going to be biased in that the majority of the time, unabashedly love all things Star Wars. As a fan (or “gentle admirers”), I appreciated that Anthony Daniels gives us what we want, his experience being C-3PO, instead of a life sketch about Daniels. He jumps right in, recalling his first meeting with George Lucas and seeing concept art of a rocky, forlorn landscape with a robot staring out at him. He writes this was a moment were he began sensing t ...more
MeredithJ83
Apr 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I am C-3PO: The Inside Story is a deeply personal memoir written by the man inside the suit, Anthony Daniels. In his story, Daniels gives the reader inside information into his 40 plus years in the golden suit. He describes his intimate memories of what it was like to be on the sets of the early films, prequels, the last three, and all the movies in between. I am C-3PO also includes never before seen pictures from the films and other various projects.

I am torn on how I feel about this memoir. I

• The Rise of Skywalker (Star Wars: Novelizations, #9)
  • Force Collector (Star Wars)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • We Are the Weather: Saving the Planet Begins at Breakfast
  • Queen's Peril (Star Wars)
  • What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast: A Short Guide to Making Over Your Mornings--and Life
  • Have Space Suit—Will Travel
  • Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell (Agatha Raisin, #11)
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • Black Nowhere (Lisa Tanchik #1)
  • A Wolf Called Wander
  • First Blood
  • The Infernal City (The Elder Scrolls #1)
  • Into the Wild Nerd Yonder
  • It's All Fun and Games
  • Lonely Planet Russia (Travel Guide)
  • Close Range
  • Wicked Bite (Night Rebel, #2)
Anthony Daniels is a British actor. He is best known for portraying the android C-3PO in the Star Wars film series.

News & Interviews

“They can see the character, standing before them. The voice became iconic in its own right. Parents often ask me to do it for their children, who don't quite believe them. After all, any old man can claim to be the guy inside the gold suit and kids are rightly skeptical.
'Hello, I am See-Threepio, human-cyborg relations.'
Then I see the magic. I watch as the sound enters their ears, it reaches their brain, it gets processed in moments. And suddenly. Smiles of recognition - and love.”
2 likes
“George and I talked. An hour passed. Surely we both had things to do.
There was a silence.
Nervously.
'Please, may I play the part?'
George paused.
Then quietly,
'Shurr.'
Not even a word. Hardly a syllable. A sound. A small sound above the London traffic.
It changed my life.”