Start by marking “One Drum: Stories and Ceremonies for a Planet” as Want to Read:
One Drum: Stories and Ceremonies for a Planet

One Drum: Stories and Ceremonies for a Planet

“The most profound truth in the universe is this: that we are all one drum and we need each other.” —Richard Wagamese, One Drum

Fans of Richard Wagamese’s writing will be heartened by the news that the bestselling author left behind a manuscript he’d been working on until shortly before his death in 2017.One Drumwelcomes readers to unite in ceremony to heal themselves and
Published October 19th 2019 by Douglas McIntyre

To ask other readers questions about One Drum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Drum

Start your review of One Drum: Stories and Ceremonies for a Planet
Little Strawberry Muffin
Amazing, touching, and breathtaking.
Mary
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Richard Wagamese is a beautiful writer. These pages are filled with wonder, ceremony and truths...even though it is an unfinished work.
Colinda Clyne
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sigh. "This is how you change the world, the smallest circles first." I need to make a poster out of this as a daily reminder
Amanda Alice
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book. A treasure.
❀ Susan G
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Richard Wagamese was such an amazing storyteller and this non-fiction book is full of Ojibway stories to help share the Grandfather teachings and ceremonies. Unfortunately he passed away after the first 3 teachings leaving the reader so sorry for his death and wanting more of his wisdom and beautiful way with words.

His fiction and non-fiction are intwined as he learned and shared himself in all of his books as he learned and grew.
JennieWithTheBooks☮️(◕‿◕✿)
"Those who tell stories rule the world."
I'm positive that there are so many more valuable stories begging for their chance to have air breathed into them, but sadly Richard Wagamese will no longer be able to do this for us.

We should be grateful that we have this last brief glimpse into some of his thoughts. I can't help but wonder if these musings were maybe what kept his monsters/demons at bay, or perhaps they simply added to his literary prowess.

This little book was to be about the teachings
Sarah Flynn
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful unassuming little book that really sticks with you and goes a little bit deeper each time you think about it, One Drum is full of wisdom.
I started rereading it even as I was still reading, because later passages illuminated earlier passages, which then upon rereading further illuminated the later passages. It’s the kind of book that I will be thinking about and learning from for a long time.
But the lessons are those very simple yet infinitely difficult to learn lessons of how to
Lynn
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Still mulling over teachings contained in this book weeks after reading it. Especially the teaching on what is respect: not something to be demanded from others or earned, but something intrinsic that you carry around inside yourself that affects how you relate to everything and everyone around you. A beautiful book.
Katie
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything Richard writes is incredible. He has a magical way of reaching everyone with his words and the images he evokes through his writing. I am so sad that he is gone but know that his teachings and beautiful presence will be felt for eternity.
Erin
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Richard Wagamese is a beautiful writer, and I’m happy to have the opportunity to read this last piece of work he was working on. But at the same time it’s the ultimate reminder of the ephemerality of life. It’s a work unfinished, but still with a lot to teach us.
Diana Bliss
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reads like soft poetry. A gentleness that leaves you feeling calm and settled. I loved it.
Jbondandrews
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very wonderful book!
Ellie Contursi
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Peace-filled and beautiful. I really miss Richard Wagamese.
Arin Goswami
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
The book is incomplete, wish it was better because I've heard amazing things about him. The pictures are also tacky.
Gail
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
Three of the seven Ojibway ceremonies are brought to light, a great loss that his life ended before he could finish this book.
Linda Carmel
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
This is beautiful book. So many times I shed tears while reading it. It spoke to my soul.
Shawna
« previous 1 3 next »

• From the Ashes
  • Empire of Wild
  • This Place: 150 Years Retold
  • 21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act: Helping Canadians Make Reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples a Reality
  • Reproduction
  • A Mind Spread Out on the Ground
  • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Movie Tie-In): Neighborly Words of Wisdom from Mister Rogers
  • Aria
  • We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir
  • Akin
  • river woman
  • Half-Breed
  • This Little Light
  • Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right
  • Fire Song
  • Unaccustomed Earth
  • Love Lives Here: A Story of Thriving in a Transgender Family
  • Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
Richard Wagamese was one of Canada's foremost Native authors and storytellers. He worked as a professional writer since 1979. He was a newspaper columnist and reporter, radio and television broadcaster and producer, documentary producer and the author of twelve titles from major Canadian publishers.

“Ceremony has become fraught with judgment: the idea that whoever our God might be, He requires absolute adherence to the way, to the means, of approach. But those reactions are based on fear, and they're inaccurate.

The elders say that Creator is perfect loving energy. Within the realm of perfect love there is no judgment. If there is no judgment then there can be no failure. In turn, if failure does not exist, there is no unworthiness. We are all one energy. We are worthy and we always were. We never have to qualify. And ceremony was born to allow us to remember that.”
1 likes
“Can you stand?" Waabooz asked.
"Yes," Buffalo said. "Why?"
"If you stand there calmly you won't sink any farther and we can work together to get you out of there."
"Are you certain?" Buffalo asked. "I feel the bog pull at me even now."
"I am not certain," Waabooz said. "But Trust does not require certainty.”
0 likes