Start by marking “His Testimonies, My Heritage: Women of Color on the Word of God” as Want to Read:
His Testimonies, My Heritage: Women of Color on the Word of God

His Testimonies, My Heritage: Women of Color on the Word of God

Hear the voices of women of color on the most important subject in any age—the word of God.

This inspiring collection of devotions is by a diverse group of women of color—African-Americans, Hispanic, Caribbean, and Asian women. Contributors include Kristie Anyabwile, Jackie Hill-Perry, Trillia Newbell, Elicia Horton, Christina Edmondson, Blair Linne, and more.

It is a
Published September 1st 2019 by Good Book Company

To ask other readers questions about His Testimonies, My Heritage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Testimonies, My Heritage

Start your review of His Testimonies, My Heritage: Women of Color on the Word of God
Ebony McCain
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent devotional!! I highly recommend it! These women have studied God’s word diligently and have shown themselves approved and rightly handling the word of truth.
Rochelle Allison
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think for me, there are different types of women that love Jesus and it’s important to reflect that. No one race or ethnicity (or political party) can speak for everyone else. We are so multifaceted and praise God for that! I loved this book because it made me fall in love a little more deeply with the Word of God. I enjoyed the personal stories and how they were applied to the Word and vice versa. Different (cultural, racial, social) issues are addressed, and it felt good to feel understood. ...more
Neidy Hess
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Be still. Envision you’re walking into a close family member’s or friend’s home and as you walk in, a fragrant aroma hits you like a brick wall. You know the kind—the smell of a meal that’s been carefully labored over, wafts through the air like a dancer, and lulls you in with its presence.

That’s just like the words on the pages in this book. I love good old fashioned exposition and that’s what initially drew me in, but what I found were the rich experiences and wisdom from women that I felt
Jan Chinn
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was so honored to be allowed to read an advanced copy of this book. I didn't know what to expect, but I'm blown away.

This devotional book is mind and heart changing! Reading this, you will see the faithfulness of God in strong ways, and your trust and belief in who He is becomes stronger. If you are in the middle of some difficulty, the authors of this book will turn your heart and mind toward the one who can and will make a change.

Psalm 119 is the guide and these women of God from almost
Eva
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A necessary read for all times, for all people. What a valuable resource to have teaching on scripture (Psalm 119) from women, and especially women of color. This book is an instrument to resound their stories and voices. I was encouraged by the truth they pointed me to, and the featured themes of hope, suffering, nearness and beauty of God.

What stuck with me most is the way this book celebrates the varied earthly heritage of people in the church (i.e. the celebration of diversity in the list
Erika
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s so simply stunning, in a you-matter kind of way. As I turned the pages, this very specific feeling began to grow, while my faith was being encourages told by voices I don’t hear often, voices like mine. Yes, speaking of the same almighty true God, yet from vantage points that resemble my own walk with Him! Finally, unity, a multitude of perspectives pointing to the same great God, is on the horizon in the world of Christian literature! And I must say that these women honored Him well in ...more
Moira
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Insightful. Clear. Eye-opening. A few words to describe this beautiful, well-written devotional that expounds Psalm 119. The different writing styles, experiences, and knowledge of the contributors blend collectively to send a single powerful message of the truth of God's Word. The vulnerability of the writers drew me in, and once I was drawn in I was able to receive the Word of God with great clarity! Grateful for how this devotional has blessed me and so many others!
Kate Motaung
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of reading an advance copy of this book. A rich collection of wise, talented voices, this biblical resource will elevate your view of the Word of God and increase your love for His perfect, life-giving law. It’s been a while since I’ve read a book that so emphasized the sufficiency and relevancy of Scripture for today’s problems. My soul has been refreshed by this timely reminder of God’s kind and gracious provision for His people through His Word.
Katrin V
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I very much appreciated the long look at this repetitive psalm which loses so much of its art in translation. It was a great devotional read - taken in bite size portions daily. Some of the contributors shared in ways unique to their culture, but overall the sense I got was how universally vital God's word is to all cultures.
Colleen McFadden
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a gem and a must read. Anyone who reads this book will immediately want to read their Bible next. The contributors share their passion for the Word. They describe the benefits of the Word. They picture the beauty of the poetry. Psalm 119 never seemed sweeter.
Paola Barrera Ruiz
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is a humbling and beautiful experience to read from the perspective of women who aren't heard from often. I just want to quietly take in their words, learn, and worship alongside them, as they walk through Psalm 119. It's a beautiful, important, and necessary book.
Cassandra

• Identity Theft: Reclaiming the Truth of our Identity in Christ
  • The Common Rule: Habits of Purpose for an Age of Distraction
  • Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been
  • The Words Between Us
  • What Is a Girl Worth?: My Story of Breaking the Silence and Exposing the Truth about Larry Nassar and USA Gymnastics
  • Identity and Idolatry: The Image of God and Its Inversion
  • Saving the Saved: How Jesus Saves Us from Try-Harder Christianity into Performance-Free Love
  • Martin Luther King Jr. and the Image of God
  • On Reading Well: Finding the Good Life Through Great Books
  • One New Man: The Cross and Racial Reconciliation in Pauline Theology
  • From Every People and Nation: A Biblical Theology of Race
  • From Nothing: A Theology of Creation
  • We Become What We Worship: A Biblical Theology of Idolatry
  • Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir
Kristie Anyabwile is a North Carolina native and graduate of NC State University with a degree in history. She is a wife, mother, and homemaker who loves cooking, hospitality, reading, and long walks with her hubby. She and her husband, Thabiti, have been married 20 years and have three children by birth, and several adult “adopted” children who have become a part of their family.