Start by marking “The Quiet Game” as Want to Read:
The Quiet Game

The Quiet Game

(Pushed Aside #1)

She has no place she feels safe, nobody she can turn to. Until him.Elisa has always been a quiet person. Staying in the background and observing instead of participating is her safety net. A long time ago, she promised herself not to talk to people unless she has to. Suddenly she finds herself in a dangerous situation she couldn't anticipate. She is helpless and more alone ...more
Published July 26th 2018 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about The Quiet Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quiet Game

JMV
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-review
Received from the author for a honest review. Imagine never having a true home, never knowing when your next meal was coming from and never knowing who to trust. From the first day Eliza came into Jaxson life, he felt protective and more importantly - not alone. But being only 9 years old Jaxson didn’t know to trust his instinct and left the 4 year old alone. Alone and in danger. This was the last time he would let anyone hurt her.
Eliza doesn’t remember much but does know that words are precious
Kim
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good story with an ending that could possibly have a sequel. I would buy the sequel! A quick read and easy to follow. This book has strong leading characters, made strong by troubled childhoods raised in the foster care system. You want to see them together as a couple. A great book for a first time author.
Maria
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookbub, reviewed
Heart wrenching but beautiful story

How much heartbreak, emotional pain and mental abuse one person can take? How many traumas one needs to endure to finally find love, peace and feel safe? Stories about kids, teenagers, adults from foster systems always touch my heart and soul very deeply. This time was no different. That was one emotional rollercoaster. I cried ugly tears especially for Eliza. Jaxon won my heart and I couldn't be mad for him no matter what he did. Story about unconditional love
Elena Garcia
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the 2nd book that I have read by Cassandra Hallman, this is such a heartbreaking story. I found myself unable to put this book down, I wanted to know what would happen between Jaxson & Eliza. Jaxson and Eliza meet when they were just 7 & 4 years old, Jaxson knowing what it was like living with the current foster mother he knew that he needed to protect and take care of Eliza. Once Jaxson started school again and a situation happened he knew that he would not be able to keep Eliza ...more
Tina Ahmed
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Quiet Game was a real quick and easy read. It gave you enough back story of Jaxson and Eliza in the first couple of chapters that you quickly develops a connection with them both as the book progresses. They both have lived hard lives being pushed through the foster system and forced from home to home. Jaxson luckily persevered from his horrible past and made a stable future for himself. With each calculated decision, he made to secure his future he did with Eliza’s best interest even if it ...more
KReader
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and wonderfully written. Jaxson and Eilsa met as foster children he was only 7 she was barely 3 and although he would have loved to keep her with him he couldn't do that and have her be safe. So as time goes on and the quiet Elisa is put in increasingly better homes she never wondered how it was that happened, just counted herself lucky. She had no way of knowing that Jaxson was the angel on her shoulder. Yes, he didn't gain his fortune in strictly legal ways but he did what he had to do i ...more
Rhianydd Cooke
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I read through this book quite quickly but it’s what I would call a “bath book” or “airport fodder”; the sort of book I would pick up at the airport when I’ve forgotten to pack the book I actually wanted to read and need to kill a few hours on the plane, rather than stare at nothing.

The story itself wasn’t actually dreadful and it was relatively fast paced, I did find myself wanting to find it what happened to Eliza and some of the side characters. It had a nice way of pointing out certain flaw
Melinda
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was an easy read. It kept me interested. While it wasn’t an all out, leave my heart pounding love story, it was still good. It is about two kids (Eliza and Jaxson) that met when they were really young in a foster home and come across each other again years later while Eliza is still being shuffled around by the foster system. Jaxson has an overwhelming desire to protect Eliza and apparently had been from afar when he could. The book does bring out a lot of problems going on with our fo ...more
Gwen Shafer
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a book that she has written by herself. This would be the first one. Freaking amazing from beginning to end. Twists turns heart wrenching moments. I will admit I cried reading this one. Some very touching moments . Cassandra did a wonderful job writing this storyline. The characters were amazing with some great chemistry. Elisa is an amazing character. I loved her. I hated everything that she had to go through but hoped and prayed for a happy ending for her. Jaxon is the little bo ...more
Energy
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a foster kid, Eliza has never felt truly safe, and her world just keeps going from bad to worse as she finds herself in unsafe situations. Until Jaxon comes along, and there's something very familiar about him. But sometimes he switches from hot to cold and she's not sure what to make of it. If anything seems true, it's that these two are destined to be together.

I did appreciate that the author wrote about such a hard topic, and she did it well. For me, I felt the book was rushed, as it k
Debra Richardson
Enthralling! This story will take you on an emotional roller coaster – pain, sadness. It is drama-packed, funny, wonderfully written, sweet, and interesting. Loveable characters – they are mature and strong and have amazing chemistry between them. This story of pure unconditional love comes with lots of twists and turns, ups and downs, and crazy. The end is really beautiful and is guaranteed to leave you wanting more. Looking forward to reading the next book.

I received a free copy of this book v
Lisa
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book ever. Jaxson and Eilza were foster kids who met at a very young age. Jaxson would do what ever it took to keep Eliza safe. As Eliza gets older her living conditions improve. She didn't know Jaxson was watching out for her. So much pain and sadness in this story. Amazing characters. Ending made me feel like possibly a second book might happen?? I hope so, because I will definitely read it.

Misty Goan
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful powerful heartfelt journey.  This amazing storyline had me enthralled thoughout.  An interesting easy story of self discovery and love that includes suspense, mystery, twists and turns, funny banter, evil, betrayal, broken trust, romanctic times, pain and heartbreak all wrappend up in a wonderful emotional rollercoaster.  The characters are relatable, well developed with great chemistry while engrossed in shocking events to a fantastic HEA.  Can't wait to get more in the series. I vo ...more
Sharon
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is written well and easy to read, only taking about 2 hours to read cover to cover. The story-line contains a lot of emotion from both broken promises and trust as well as from romance. There are a few twists and turns to the story and the characters are well described and appear to be realistic. The main lead character is enough to break your heart not only with what she goes through but also in how she decides to cope with it. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am ...more
J. Ockenhouse
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We get to meet Jaxson and Eilsa - though childhood where they had an unshakeable bond to young adults where the bond is stronger and definitely shifts to romance.

They have such a heart-gripping story. The suspense along the touching emotional journey will keep you engrossed and following these characters like you can't get enough. Loved every word and tear I had along the way. I received an ARC for an honest and voluntarily review.
Michelle
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a emotional story about Jaxson and Elisa who meet when they are children in the foster care system. I loved how protective Jaxson is over Elisa and how no matter how many years passed he's still there for her. This is a beautiful story filled with heartache, unexpected twists and an unconditional love that left me wanting more. I look forward to reading the rest of the Pushed Aside series. I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book.
Tc
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Quite Game is a beautiful read that takes you on an emotional roller coaster, there is pain and suffering, sadness and drama. The characters are strong and very well written. The story is believable and a page turner. The pure emotion that runs through this book just makes you want of sit down and go haaaaaaaaaaaa. This is also a story of unconditional love and everything that goes with that. You will enjoy Jaxson and Eliza’s story. Just amazing.
Lara
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jaxon and Eliza both grew up in foster homes. She kept getting moved around and never found a place she felt safe in. Along the way she meets Jaxon who shows her kindness. She feels safe with him but not sure why. When shes in danger he comes to help. Will she understand when he tells her why he pushes her away? Will they be able to work through the trama of growing up always in fear of what's next?
Powerfully emotional and heartfelt journey to self discovery love.
Tammy
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eliza and Jaxson's story moves quickly from their first meeting at very young ages to late teens. I felt for Eliza and Jaxson. Both had issues with foster care and both handled them differently. Although there could have been more development it was a good story that kept me invested for all of it. Would have been a 5 star if the characters' timelines had a bit more to them. Story does end on a very open ending.
Kimberly
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is a good romantic suspense read. The story has a good story line, and the story has some good twists and turns. The characters are good, and they have good chemistry. The story is an enjoyable emotionally charged read.

Treasa
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GRIPPING SUSPENSE!
Emotionally charged and a non-stop bundle of gripping suspense throughout the the amazing twists and turns that hold you captive to the very end. ? Possible more to come felt incomplete like a cliffhanger ending but man-o-man so worth every thrilling word in the end. Can't wait to read more!
Debbie
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a really great read, this was so hard in places but so sweet in others, the relationship how it began and how it developed was just so heartbreaking but also so lovely, such a good storyline and what a cliffhanger ending! Can’t wait to read the next book!
Tonya Sims harper-dixie
Cassandra writes some of best books that are out there, this story was over the top field with so much emotions that I did cry at times. I can't wait for more of her work.

Sara
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will take you on a rollercoaster ride of emotions! Just when you think something really really bad is going to happen you are pulled back to take a deep breath in relieve. Couldn't put this book down once I started reading it. Can't wait for more.
Deb
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters were fascinating in this story. I cried as I read about her life and I wondered if he might be able to really make things better. The author created a realistic story with believable reactions by the characters. Wonderful.
Carol
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Heart warming, sweet, a few twists and a great storyline. The characters were easy to connect with. Just a wonderful short read. I recommend it to all. Received it from booksprout and this is my voluntary review. Can't wait to read the next and see what happens
Molly Embry
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eliza goes through so much at a young age. She doesn’t like to talk to anyone except for one person whom she begins to trust. She goes from foster home to foster home. Luckily after finding her again she has someone to watch after her.
Deana Hallman
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read! Very suspenseful
Jordan Hallman
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first of the series. A lot of dramatic tension and great character development. The overall story arc was exciting and fresh. The main protagonist struggles draw empathy from the reader.
Michelle
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!!!

This book isn’t just a great young romance novel but also a level of suspense that will have you on the edge of your sit!
New Adult Book Club: #44/19 The Quiet Game by Cassandra Hallman 22 32 Jun 02, 2019 07:28AM

Pushed Aside (3 books)